• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo Infinite is a prime example why Microsofts crossgen policy is bad

Allforce

hS1vjoF.jpg

Holy shit LOL. This is fast becoming Mass Effect Andromeda meme level.

Why don't you and everyone else tell us what you were truly expecting and imagining from next generation?

You're getting bigger more beautiful worlds running at 60FPS, what isn't next generation about that? Are people expecting some visceral out of body experience from next generation.

These games are still going to be grounded in what games are today just prettier, we aren't jumping 10 years into the future. We are getting upgraded hardware to push more pixels and that is what was showcased. No revolutions are happening, if you believe they are you drank the PR Kool-Aid and will only be disappointed and jaded by next generation no matter what system you buy.

well since people were persisting that the Hellblade trailer with it's big open landscapes was realtime, something between that and the here shown would have been nice....

I actually agree with you, but this is 4K 60fps, so there's that. But I think 4K is poor choice here if it leads to those visuals. 1440p upscaling would help, but at the end of the day it's also the 8yr old Xbox One holding this back, which cant be helped.
There seemed to be a bunch of missing shit in the demo we saw. Things like shadows, missing textures, and unfinished models.

Whats odd is they seemed to want to show it in the demo. And we are very close to launch.

R1Y6.gif

A.Romero

I understand the context of this discussion and the only thing I can say is that we will know for sure once other games are released and we can actually compare.

It might be because the game is not ready but there were some minor FPS hiccups (could be youtube) and pop in which was supposed to be basically eliminated with VRS and SSD transfer rates. I do believe that will be the case with next gen but not if they need to keep supporting previous gen.

Is a strategy to have an attractive pool of potential game buyers and we should look at it for what it is. It does have some draw backs, like everything.

I'm gonna buy it since I really only care about couch co-op, but man, you'd expect them to realize the graphics here are severely underwhelming for something that's supposed to be next gen. Why hype it up as that? I don't understand the reasoning for setting that expectation.

Arkam

Did they say what platform that 8m demo was running on? I didnt see the stream (work) but just watched that gameplay bit. Is that suppose to be XSX or XBoneX?

dorkimoe dorkimoe It was at their May showcase. Yes, "that" same showcase. Which I actually enjoyed quite a bit aside the low production values and "gameplay" meme...particularly because of BMI.

WOW. That's...that's pretty shocking. How do you devolve like this visually? Did Halo 4 run at 60?
I don't know how you can compare the two photos. Halo 4 shows a confined environment and Infinite shows a massive, expanding vista.

Last edited:

sixamp

Do you honestly think PC games wouldn't be more impressive if they could only target the last 2-3 years of PC hardware and not have to support 10-15 yeas of legacy hardware? Ehhhhhhh......

The range PC games give you when it comes down to visual profiles is alot. I think PC games would run better if there was only 1 or 2 SKUs. As for 10-15 yr card most games barely support 5 gen cards.

LarknThe4th

The actual engagement design(ya know the gameplay) looks super slick, great art design and more centred narrative around Chief just killing shit with one person in his ear is just what this series needed

The 4K footage that they uploaded looks way better than the stream and I would reccomend anyone who is interested to give it a look

I think it looks pretty damn slick to me

Last edited:

sixamp

In all honesty halo infinite looks bad. I hope this was from an early build because if they release that game in 4 months it's gonna bomb hard. Halo is the staple of the Xbox brand and it should be Xbox's crowning achievement

Psykodad

Banned
I actually agree with you, but this is 4K 60fps, so there's that. But I think 4K is poor choice here if it leads to those visuals. 1440p upscaling would help, but at the end of the day it's also the 8yr old Xbox One holding this back, which cant be helped.
What if GOT gets a 4k60 PS5 patch later this year?

Godzilla Emu Godzilla Emu

Lmao why are you triggered?

I liked the gameplay of Halo Infinite mate, but graphically it's not where it should/could be. The rest of the entire presentation was even more disappointing than the PS5 one. As an international straight-male viewer, the entire presentation certainly seemed very... well, not targeted towards me personally and the games that were there to impress, visually didn't.

I'll be watching out this launch from the sidelines, completelyt unexpectedly.

I guess I just saved some money so I should be happy, instead.

Hope you're having a good one! 🍺

Last edited:
I don't know how you can compare the two photos. Halo 4 shows a confined environment and Infinite shows a massive, expanding vista.

I know what they're showing, but the thing is most people looking at next-gen want to be impressed with a step up in visuals. That's generally the big sell. Showing off an expansive environment doesn't mean too much when your gameplay segment is confined to a very small section of it. Maybe they should've displayed more gameplay features that conveyed a sense of exploration in that vast area, to sell it better. Like travelling in a dropship from one point in the land to another, maybe even attacking other locations far off from a spaceship and then getting to visit those locations on-foot seeing the effects up-close.

So without that we're left with the visual splendor and I think that Halo 4 shot has more of it, while being a much older release. Dunno if that's a good look (and yes that's without knowing Halo 4 is way more linear and less grand in scope but, then again, it's not trying to sell that to the viewer so they just need to make sure the visuals are on-point and they look better in that screenshot than Infinite's).

graphics looked a bit hazy in the distance.

gameplay reminded of classic halo with some added abilities.

overall i just hope its a cohesive, bug free package. a bit lower quality graphics are fine.

sendit

Microsoft just needs to give Halo back to Bungie. 343i are not doing this franchise justice and ruined MCC on PC.

HoodWinked

Gold Member
they should just close 343 studios, you can tell that shitty studio isn't governed by a meritocracy and its already too poisoned to course correct just start or buy a new studio.

Last edited:

tryDEATH

well since people were persisting that the Hellblade trailer with it's big open landscapes was realtime, something between that and the here shown would have been nice....

That is fair, but then you also have to take into account a games creative art direction. Halo has never pursued a real life depiction when it comes to graphics, it always felt more gamey, which is what this is but pushed to the max.

What people can't come to terms with or are being willfully ignorant about is that certain art styles come across as next generation better than others do. They literally showcased how varying games can look due to art styles, look at the stark difference between Hellblade, Halo, and then Everwilde. Realistic graphics just lend themselves better when it comes to showcasing graphics. There isn't anything inherently that is next generation only when it comes to art style.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
I know what they're showing, but the thing is most people looking at next-gen want to be impressed with a step up in visuals. That's generally the big sell. Showing off an expansive environment doesn't mean too much when your gameplay segment is confined to a very small section of it. Maybe they should've displayed more gameplay features that conveyed a sense of exploration in that vast area, to sell it better. Like travelling in a dropship from one point in the land to another, maybe even attacking other locations far off from a spaceship and then getting to visit those locations on-foot seeing the effects up-close.

So without that we're left with the visual splendor and I think that Halo 4 shot has more of it, while being a much older release. Dunno if that's a good look (and yes that's without knowing Halo 4 is way more linear and less grand in scope but, then again, it's not trying to sell that to the viewer so they just need to make sure the visuals are on-point and they look better in that screenshot than Infinite's).

The fact there wasn't a moment of CHief hopping into a Pelican or something and flying over the world is baffaling.

Zannegan

I dunno. I thought the gameplay looked pretty great. I especially liked the zip/harpoon tool, which gives the game more verticality without completely messing with the basic feel of the running and gunning. I think a lot of shooters are going to be using harpoons in the next couple of years. It's going to be like that year where every protagonist had a bow and arrow for some reason.

Graphically, I can see the complaints, even if I didn't think it looked bad. Everything had a soft, plasticky look to it, but to me it looked like an art style thing rather than a technical limitation, like Halo and Pixar met halfway. If it is for the sake of letting the XB1 keep up, let's hope it enables the open-world to really run at a constant 60fps with 4-player splitscreen on XSX.

LordOfChaos

If anyone honestly believes the xbsx is being held back by the xb1 or last gen you are a water head. That's like saying any game on PC is being held back by low their cards.

With that said everything shown at the conference looked current gen. I also said the same thing about the ps5 conference. Nothing either company showed off was mind blowing

You don't think PC games would be more impressive if everyone had a Ryzen 3950X or whatever as the absolute baseline, than games having to target years old quad cores? I mean just think about it, it's a fundamental truth that a game that has to run on Jaguar cores has to consider that scope for its game world, sure you can just turn up the graphics on 9th gen but it's not going to be as impressive as a bespoke 9th gen game taking full advantage of the new hardware.

Holy shit LOL. This is fast becoming Mass Effect Andromeda meme level.

Ohh I wouldn't go that far by a long stretch lol, that was jank as fuck at launch

ec9.gif

Last edited:
Yo it looked kinda fun, they just forgot to turn on that Smart Delivery or whatever, pretty solid for upscaled 720p backwards compatibility.

I just feel like there's a considerable amount of the game that we haven't seen yet. So to compare those two photos is kind of pointless. I agree though. They should have considered a better segment to finally show off the game. In another thread people were giving 343i shade for being bad developers, and I made me think of how Halo 4 and 5 had some of the best looking environments I've seen in a Halo game.

How much can we blame on Aaron Greenberg? Because I think that guy has done shit to market Xbox for years now. He doesn't get it.

shubik

The worst thing for me was the lifeless world. After playing Ghost of Tsushima and feeling the wind, Halo looked and felt more like last-gen in 4k and 60FPS. How do you have all these Teraflopps and don´t use them?

xrnzaaas

For me the game looked pretty bad in the first presentation, especially the world felt very stale. But I will admit I don't play Halo games so I can't make any comparisons to previous titles.

What if GOT gets a 4k60 PS5 patch later this year?

Yeh it'll make this look even more shocking visually, especially if we're being told this '$500m' figure connected to it. I think something went wrong in development so that the visuals look dated and unfinished.

Because there's 1.3tflop Xbox One holding Series X back which I expected, then there's this; huge budget tentpole title looking like absolute crap, which has shocked me.

Last edited:
Top Bottom