• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo Infinite is the currently biggest project in the gaming industry (Update: Reported False by Frank O'Coner)

Gargus

Banned
Eh, I don't know. I stopped liking halo after the 2nd one. Stropped liking gears of wars after 2. Only ones I still enjoy are the forza games, but only the more arcade style ones and even those I'm kind of bored of. I'd only turned on my xb1s a couple times the past year and a half and that was just to play rare replay.

Anytime someone starts sinking insane amounts of money into a game or a movie it usually in the best case scenario is mediocre at best. Of course Microsoft may need to spend a shit ton of money on it and release a mediocre game so they can take a loss on Microsoft studios taxes.

Reon

Early Halo Infinite Concept Art of Open World Game Play

qDmCb4t.jpg
No way is this an official promotional image, it looks like fucking Gmod

HoodWinked

seems like horrible leadership and unfortunately that does lie on bonnie ross, pretty sure i read that the development was rebooted and the pathetically small scale showcase at last years E3 confirmed they had little to show

D

Deleted member 738976

Unconfirmed Member
"Hello Spartan, you have been selected for the upcoming Halo: Reach Multiplayer flight on Xbox One! We are very close to starting, and this email is meant to let you know you are invited. "

Haha...thanks but can I have it for PC instead? I want that more than I want Infinite at the moment.

I'm cautiously optimistic that Infinite will incorporate more than one style of halo. Meaning we might be able to play both traditional (classic) and contemporary halo depending on what part of the world we are in. Which would mean when playing multiplayer we would have the option of playing the Halo of our personal preference. At least this wouldnt surprise me. The classic versus new halo with abilities like sprint argument has gone on long enough and it's time 343 just put both into one game. We already have TMCC with like 10+ game engines. So maybe the slip space engine subtly refers to new and old.

Last edited:
Unless they made changes to the core development team $500,000,000 doesn't amount to jack shit. It's like you dig this glorious awesome hole. Make two more glorious holes after it and then decide to hire monkeys to dig your next hole. And after two attempts they failed to dig this glorious hole you wanted. So instead of hiring competent workers, you just decide to throw more shovels at the monkeys.

Last edited:
They said that about Halo 4 and Halo 5 somehow turned out far worse.
Halo 4's campaign was fine, and underneath all the random nonsense and crazy abilities, the core mechanics played ridiculously well. If Halo 4 multiplayer had done away with abilities, random ordnance and drops, it would have stood up well to the previous halo games. The physics were solid. The weapons felt good. The movement was silky smooth and even the multiplayer maps in Halo 4 were pretty good. Which means 343 can obviously make a good game. Halo 4's campaign is one of my favorites behind Halo Combat Evolved.

Halo 5's campaign was a train wreck for sure, but that should be fairly easy to learn from. Halo 5's matchmaking, while still controversial, plays extremely well. I'm not a fan of sprint or having a bunch of abilities, but I just roll my eyes when people say that part of the game is/was bad. It's not. People that can take an honest look at both Halo 4 and Halo 5 can see that 343 has the ability to make a great game, they just need to put it all together this time.

Phase

Halo 4's campaign was fine, and underneath all the random nonsense and crazy abilities, the core mechanics played ridiculously well. If Halo 4 multiplayer had done away with abilities, random ordnance and drops, it would have stood up well to the previous halo games. The physics were solid. The weapons felt good. The movement was silky smooth and even the multiplayer maps in Halo 4 were pretty good. Which means 343 can obviously make a good game. Halo 4's campaign is one of my favorites behind Halo Combat Evolved.

Halo 5's campaign was a train wreck for sure, but that should be fairly easy to learn from. Halo 5's matchmaking, while still controversial, plays extremely well. I'm not a fan of sprint or having a bunch of abilities, but I just roll my eyes when people say that part of the game is/was bad. It's not. People that can take an honest look at both Halo 4 and Halo 5 can see that 343 has the ability to make a great game, they just need to put it all together this time.
So the MP was good if you took away all of the additions 343 has made to Halo's MP? Pretty good argument for why they CAN'T make a good Halo game.

"They just need to put it all together this time." Feel like I've heard this before. Not sure though. Oh yeah, with each game they've ever made as a company.

So the MP was good if you took away all of the additions 343 has made to Halo's MP? Pretty good argument for why they CAN'T make a good Halo game.

"They just need to put it all together this time." Feel like I've heard this before. Not sure though. Oh yeah, with each game they've ever made as a company.
The game was fun even with the abilities. I'm just saying the game would have been amazing if they had simply omitted them. I've argued in past threads that if Halo 4 had done away with the abilities and random stuff, it would have been more popular than Halo 3 - perhaps not the campaign because Halo 3's campaign was pretty dang good, one of the best, but definitely the matchmaking. With the abilities in Halo 4, however, Halo 4's matchmaking is just okay. Not epic by Halo standards, but more than good compared to most other AAA games. Don't forget it was Bungie who completely deviated from what made Halo great by adding abilities in Reach. 343's first game was going to be a difficult balance of trying to figure out what to continue or not continue from Reach because there are a lot of people who absolutely adore and love Reach. I'm not making excuses for 343. I'm just saying the base games that they've made are pretty good. There is plenty of evidence to support 343 being able to make Halo Infinite a fantastic game and I believe they will deliver.

Last edited:

Bkdk

At least that’s a boost for the economy. MS don’t have much choices though, halo infinite is their safest plan forward. I actually think AOE4 has higher potential though. AAA RTS games are super rare and if it’s a blowout success they have themselves a esports darling that can generate profit for a long time to come. Hopefully they are putting in 200+ million for that.

I can without exaggeration say Halo 5’s campaign is, at least for me, the worst in the franchise and I don’t think that’s an uncommon opinion either. Not sure what you’re on about.

Halo 2, while not everyone's cup of tea, has great writing and the plot is a good drama follow up to CE. Multiplayer was and is fantastic.

Halo 5 would love to be half of a game Halo 2 was.

Caffeine

Halo 5 is so bad I stopped my marathon run when i got to it 5 mins in. I couldnt even replay it. especially coming off masterchief collection and reach.

Last edited:
Halo 5 MP was just as awful as Halo 4 MP.

They really have to nail the Gameplay first... im still waiting for a successor to Halo 3 and not some kind of frankenstein game that doesnt know what it wants to be.

Because it is made first and foremost for current gen. PC and Scarlett Version will get a fresh coat of paint and thats it.
A coat of paint isn't next gen that's what you expect for pc and one X not Scarlett if that's what they think next gen is about then they should think again.

343 was a mistake.
That's one perspective. But if not for 343 Halo might truly be dead right now. Instead most people are looking forward to Halo Infinite, and it only takes one good game to right a series. Not everyone agrees with 343's handling of the Halo franchise, but at the very least they're keeping it alive. Not just the games either. We have been getting a steady release of books as well, which continue to expand the history and lore. Like it or not, without 343 I don't think the Master Chief Collection would have happened, and that game is one of my favorites of this gen simply because I'm able to play Halo CE matchmaking on xbox live. It's glorious. Halo 3, Halo 2, and Halo 4 are alive and well and soon Reach will be too.

Last edited:
All the flop predictions are fantastic. Even Halo 5 sold 10 Million copies. Halo Infinite will be on PC, Xbox One, xCloud and as a launch title for Xbox Scarlett. Not to mention it's Halo's return to form. I highly doubt that it will sell less than 10 Million copies once again.

Last edited:

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
All the flop predictions are fantastic. Even Halo 5 sold 10 Million copies. Halo Infinite will be on PC, Xbox One, xCloud and as a launch title for Xbox Scarlett. Not to mention it's Halo's return to form. I highly doubt that it will sell less than 10 Million copies once again.

Ten million sales? When it's immediately available on Gamepass?

Ten million sales? When it's immediately available on Gamepass?
Don't see why not. Either way Microsoft will get plenty of subscribers if it is on Gamepass and sales for people that want to buy it. It's a win win either way. With all the developers MS has purchased we are going to see an onslaught of exclusive games for Gamepass next generation. Gamepass is and will be a no-brainer option for people. If Sony did the same thing and allowed me to install on PC I would subscribe to theirs as well. Gamepass or not, however, I'm buying Infinite.

Last edited:
Halo Infinite BR mode developed by Respawn (Apex) + 343 employees and MTX developed by Fortnite coming soon

and yes I will play the shit out of a Halo BR mode with apex influence.

Last edited:
so Infinite destined to be GaaS in order to try to recover the budget

Halo 2 has ALWAYS had a bad rep. What you talkin about?

Just wondering how old you people were when Halo 2 came out? My memory of it is apparently much different than all of yours. A reality check: the single player campaign was the tits-out fantastic (except for the cliffhanger ending which was admittedly but intentionally maddening).

Which is why it would make sense to include it as a digital download with Scarlett to move more systems and profit later on other title sales.

Have the campaign portion pre-loaded on my xbox, day zero buy. Don't force anyone to wait 12 hours to download it on inevitably crashed servers from squeakers attempts to DDOS Microsoft. Plus it allows me to jump right into gaming while the rest of the game downloads in the background.

Halo Infinite is already the most talked about upcoming game and we have not even seen a gameplay video yet.

Just goes to show you how Halo is still the King Of Kings. :messenger_beaming:

Not really, Death Stranding and TLOU2 are the most buzzed games of this generation, if not of all time.

Not really, Death Stranding and TLOU2 are the most buzzed games of this generation, if not of all time.

of all time? lol pump the brakes. I was around for Halo 2’s launch. DS and TLOU2 are minuscule in comparison (among many other games as well along with halo2)

Id also say that Cyberpunk 2077 is more buzzed right now than either of those games.

Last edited:

mcz117chief

I love how Halo 5 get's a bad rep when Halo 2 gets next to none. The Single-player mode in that game was so poor, and it was only saved by the Multi-player (quite like Halo V ironically)
I always considered Halo 2's campaign to be the worst. The plot is pretty good by itself, with the schism and battle above Earth but the levels look incredibly bland and the missions drag like crazy. I actually enjoyed Halo 4's campaign way more despite the plot being garbage. At least the levels and events were varied and entertaining.

of all time? lol pump the brakes. I was around for Halo 2’s launch. DS and TLOU2 are minuscule in comparison (among many other games as well along with halo2)

Id also say that Cyberpunk 2077 is more buzzed right now than either of those games.
of all time?

Can I have some of whatever youre smoking?

This is solely based on opinion, but I highly doubt the buzz was as high on Halo2, simply because the gaming industry wasnt as mainstream as it is now, and because on 2004, we could only access internet through a computer. Hell, even youtube wasnt founded until next year, so all the buzz you talk about is mostly between friends or specific reddit forums, which cant even be compared to the buzz on social media now.

With all these factors into consideration, I'd reckon, as I said, TLOU2 and DS (and Cyberpunk yess) are probably the most talked about games ever. Its obviously impossible to know, but considering TLOU2 is the most preordered game on one of the most sold consoles in existence, its quite a strong fact to ignore.

Comparing youtube numbers, TLOU2 has its last trailer, released about 1 week ago with 5.8M views, and the first gameplay trailer with 14M views, comparing to DS with 7.9M and 5.6M views, Cyberpunk has 7.1M and 5.7M, and Halo Infinite has 6.3M and 2.5M with much earlier trailers than all the previous ones, so yeah, I'd say TLOU2 is the most buzzed game of this generation for sure, and probably the most buzzed game of all time.

The Halo franchise, just like Gears of War franchise have died down due to inconsistent games being released recently, and quite honestly, I dont hear anyone talking about Halo Infinite. Using GoW as an example, although it seems to be quite a good game, and a big franchise, its buzz died pretty quickly, going into Twitch it doesnt even show up on the top games being played.

Also having an insane production value of 500M, I highly doubt they can even break even, lets say the full budget is gonna be around 600-650M with marketing, its an exclusive Xbox game, with a PC release that doesnt mean much, considering a PC gamer cannot play the full franchise, and being offered on Xcloud doesnt help either. They will need to sell in the 15M range, which is going to be extremelly hard specially on 1 platform basically, and most people will probably not buy it for X1, but wait for the next gen version, which further damages the sales.

We are talking about more than double what the most expensive games have cost (like GTAV, RDR2 or CoD: MW2), this is a ridiculous value, and it only shows their insecurity, and from what they already showed us, there isnt much bang for that buck.

I sure hope Im wrong, but from an economic standpoint, this will flop hard even before the game is out.

Ps. Im smoking purple haze :p

Last edited:

II_JumPeR_I

A coat of paint isn't next gen that's what you expect for pc and one X not Scarlett if that's what they think next gen is about then they should think again.
It wont be any different on the playstation side... first batch of games for the new consoles wont be made for them. Just be upports with better graphics.

Top Bottom