• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo Infinite: Season 5: Reckoning Trailer

Riky

$MSFT
Halo Infinite peaked on Steam yesterday with more players then at the start of Season 4. Which is certainly unusual for live service game and it bodes really well for today's launch of Season 5.
Also. 343 announced changes to whole event system with "live event" being longer and you can either earn Operation pass during event or later buy it for 500 Coins.

One event will include playlist with Forge remake of 7 Halo maps
5vgBO0Q.jpg

Also, during the season they will release KOTH Firefight which will support 9 maps total (with 3 of them being Forge maps) and they will also release new equipment.

Forge has basically made the game infinitely replayable.

Orbital2060

Im tempted to try again, but the problem with the online for me was that the xp system didnt make any sense. In how you have to do quests to get xp for the battle pass. So either you completed a quest and got some xp, or you didnt complete a quest and got zero xp. And no reward for your performance - points for headshots, headshots at long distance, kills while jumping out of a vehicle, double and triple kills, all kinds of skill based things you can do. So you could perform really well, but get no xp. And spend all of the time in the game only focussed on a couple of objectives. I got tired of that massive vertical drop in enjoyment after matches that I stopped playing. Its like 343 dont get how mutliplayer works, on a fundamental level. With PUBG you get xp rewards for every little thing you, as well as most other online games Ive played, like PvP in WoW. You always got some points for your performance, even if you lose. So you can sit and grind out some xp in small amounts even though youre not completing objectives. In Halo Infinite, you get nothing if you dont complete any of the available quests. Arena is different, I know, and I played some of that. But thats what they need to do to make me stay in the game. Some kind of acknowledgment for what you did in the match.

Murdoch

Im tempted to try again, but the problem with the online for me was that the xp system didnt make any sense. In how you have to do quests to get xp for the battle pass. So either you completed a quest and got some xp, or you didnt complete a quest and got zero xp. And no reward for your performance - points for headshots, headshots at long distance, kills while jumping out of a vehicle, double and triple kills, all kinds of skill based things you can do. So you could perform really well, but get no xp. And spend all of the time in the game only focussed on a couple of objectives. I got tired of that massive vertical drop in enjoyment after matches that I stopped playing. Its like 343 dont get how mutliplayer works, on a fundamental level. With PUBG you get xp rewards for every little thing you, as well as most other online games Ive played, like PvP in WoW. You always got some points for your performance, even if you lose. So you can sit and grind out some xp in small amounts even though youre not completing objectives. In Halo Infinite, you get nothing if you dont complete any of the available quests. Arena is different, I know, and I played some of that. But thats what they need to do to make me stay in the game. Some kind of acknowledgment for what you did in the match.
This has been changed a while ago 🫡

Low population in Australia and forcing 2 minimum regions for servers is a death sentence for down under. As momentarily excited I get for good things for Halo it's short lived at best or 180ms in game on overseas servers. The new leadership at 343 has been doing great things for MCC and Infinite but I'm done with US servers in this day and age.

Firefight, new maps and AI forge is good shit though.

Godot25

Banned

18K players on Steam is the highest number since start of Season 2 in 2021. I think that this number will rise even more during weekend and there is still mid-season Firefight update.
Not bad at all.

Last edited:

jorgejjvr

I came back to see this season

What in the world happened to the burst battle rifle in ranked??? Now it's this single fire new weapon? Why :(

Havoc2049

The hype around Halo Infinite is real! Pierre Hintze turned MCC around and the same seems to be happening for Infinite. Some substantial updates have been made and it seems to be generating some positive buzz in the Xbox community. I've been playing MCC for the last six months or so, but I'll definitely give Infinite another go.

Last edited:

stickkidsam

The hype around Halo Infinite is real! Pierre Hintze turned MCC around and the same seems to be happening for Infinite. Some substantial updates have been made and it seems to be generating some positive buzz in the Xbox community. I've been playing MCC for the last six months or so, but I'll definitely give Infinite a another go.
The weapons/vehicles feels more balanced and there’s a hell of a lot more playlists. The new maps are also great! On that end it’s a pretty sweet package.

Just don’t expect the feel of the gameplay to have changed.

Kerotan

18K players on Steam is the highest number since start of Season 2 in 2021. I think that this number will rise even more during weekend and there is still mid-season Firefight update.
Not bad at all.

Yeah a month later the game has decreased again. Why do people proclaim a game is saved when a new season starts and player counts temporarily increase.

Phase

Yeah a month later the game has decreased again. Why do people proclaim a game is saved when a new season starts and player counts temporarily increase.
God it's sad that people are celebrating Halo having 10k players... I hope some day a skilled team can bring it back from the ashes. It was such a bad decision to keep 343 on Halo after so many blunders.

Codes 208

God it's sad that people are celebrating Halo having 10k players... I hope some day a skilled team can bring it back from the ashes. It was such a bad decision to keep 343 on Halo after so many blunders.
a good chunk of that was from management blundering, the gameplay for halo infinite is well-defined. But the game launched with little to no content and just about everything behind very predatory paywalls

Like rn, halo infinite feels like a completely different game from launch in terms of content and modes and i would say the new team (the same peeps who turned MCC around) have been showing how capable they are at fixing tye issues people had.

Except for one thing: MTX’s, like the whole classic mk5 being a $20 skin (but again, how much is that 343’s fault vs ms’s?)

twilo99

The game feels great. I’ve been playing it for a few weeks now and if you enjoy Halo, I can really imagine the gameplay being any better that what they currently have on offer.

Phase

a good chunk of that was from management blundering, the gameplay for halo infinite is well-defined. But the game launched with little to no content and just about everything behind very predatory paywalls

Like rn, halo infinite feels like a completely different game from launch in terms of content and modes and i would say the new team (the same peeps who turned MCC around) have been showing how capable they are at fixing tye issues people had.

Except for one thing: MTX’s, like the whole classic mk5 being a $20 skin (but again, how much is that 343’s fault vs ms’s?)
Despite what you say the dev teams had a huge hand in ruining the franchise. They made the decisions of what playlists to have, to change it's core gameplay, to take away all of the community features Halo was known for. I bet Halo MP would be more popular today if it ended with Reach being the last release.

Sybrix

Wishful thinking.

I really love Halo, i actually like Halo Infinite, the gameplay is solid and such fun when it works.

Playing on the PC is so broken tho, trying to load into a MP game take way too long and the connection issues with servers is so inconsistant it drives players away.

Really dont understand why the devs are happy to leave the game it this state.

Mortisfacio

Wishful thinking.

I really love Halo, i actually like Halo Infinite, the gameplay is solid and such fun when it works.

Playing on the PC is so broken tho, trying to load into a MP game take way too long and the connection issues with servers is so inconsistant it drives players away.

Do they still have the de-sync issue and challenges resetting? That's what drove me away. I was having a blast playing it, but kept getting challenges such as "Get 25 kills with a pistol" and I'd get say 22, then hop into another match and it resets to 0. Only way to fix it was get 25+ kills in a single match with a pistol or restart my game so the challenge would save. Then the de-sync issue and I just felt the issues were too much with my limited time to play so I moved on to other games.

Codes 208

How is that any different from Fortnite or CoD? Oh, because it's MS and Halo. I see.
Um yes, exactly. Because this shit used to be free in prior halo games. Fortnite and cod have already built their games around mtx bullshit years ago, but for halo its new and at times very shameful (like the time they charged $5 for the basic color red for the shinobi core)

Last edited:

Kerotan

Well I'm not celebrating just stating reality.
Wishful thinking.

I don't play halo but from following reports since it launched it feels like another Battlefront 2, battlefield V and 2042. Launches barebones as fuck before a long and slow drip feed of content gets it to a healthy place after a few years.

Fans proclaimed it's saved and they have the formula solved for the next one. Then the sequel releases and all the same issues persist. The reality is these Devs don't have the ability to create a game like halo infinite with years of updates for launch. The same with dice.

You see with most call of dutys that release with enough content at launch and timely updates after launch. It takes nearly the entirety of Activision to pull this off. If MS or Dice want to return to glory days they need to dramatically expand production teams and make it more efficient.

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
Um yes, exactly. Because this shit used to be free in prior halo games. Fortnite and cod have already built their games around mtx bullshit years ago, but for halo its new and at times very shameful (like the time they charged $5 for the basic color red for the shinobi core)
Eh, the options probably are that they charge for this stuff or they stop support.

They still give plenty of stuff away. I personally bought the season 1 battle pass and have unlocked every subsequent battle pass for free with the credits earnt.

Halo's generous battle pass policy - that is to say buy a battle pass and it never expires and will allow you to earn enough credits to get the next one for free, is the most generous one I've encountered.

They used to charge for maps - now free.

As a result, I don't have a problem with them charging for additional skins in the store. It's their only source of post-purchase revenue.

ManaByte

Gold Member
Halo wasn’t Free to Play back then. It is now.

Codes 208

Halo wasn’t Free to Play back then. It is now.
Yup, turning halo into a gaas was their first big mistake

Because this also devalued the overall package, in no way shape or form was infinite’s campaign worth full price by itself, especially back when it launched with no co-op or level select

Last edited:

ManaByte

Gold Member
Yup, turning halo into a gaas was their first big mistake

Because this also devalued the overall package, in no way shape or form was infinite’s campaign worth full price by itself, especially back when it launched with no co-op or level select

Could Apex or Fortnite survive with a $60 price? Fuck no. Look at Battlefied. The ONLY reason people pay $70 for CoD is because of the campaign. MP shooters after 2019 do not survive with a $60 barrier of entry. I'm sorry that the genre has moved on from that and if you don't like it maybe it's not for you anymore and you should find something else to play and complain about.

Codes 208

Could Apex or Fortnite survive with a $60 price? Fuck no. Look at Battlefied. The ONLY reason people pay $70 for CoD is because of the campaign. MP shooters after 2019 do not survive with a $60 barrier of entry. I'm sorry that the genre has moved on from that and if you don't like it maybe it's not for you anymore and you should find something else to play and complain about.
180ea7792da2151bc12fc09c2b89aaeb.gif

Top Bottom