• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo Lore Thread

AYF 001

I do wonder if the Ussan Sangheili will ever matter in the current Haloverse. Broken Circle was just "ehh" for me though.

My three issues with Broken Circle were:

1. A lot of key plot points in the games and books that were big reveals were almost casually mentioned as if it were no big deal. A little bit of coyness can go a long way.​

2. The pacing was rather hurried between events. The transition between the two time periods is rather jarring, and the conflict resolution was basically "Oh, I guess things worked out then. Ok..."​

3. Every main character felt like a "progressive" version of the typical members of their species. The San'Shyuum like to get exercise and aren't scheming for their own agenda; the Sangheili men consider women as equals, and themselves are intelligent and not just bloodthirsty. I get it was supposed to make them likeable, but it felt cliche by the end.​

Toa TAK

Banned
Damn, gonna need to get through Broken Circle soon, it seems.

So is this more akin to The Cole Protocol in terms of canon lore? Not that important but a fine read nonetheless?

I enjoyed it, but it was a quick read. I have to assume it'll help color future events, but I wonder at what point 343 will limit the "extended universe" in affecting what you see in the games.

Halo 4 seemed to rub people the wrong way, and Broken Circle definitely didn't seem like a title for a halophyte to take on.

They should publish a recommended reading & playing guide for the best exposure for poor non-NeoGAF members :)

Andodalf

Banned
The most awe inspiring thing in all of halo lore is when the forerunner travel to another Galaxy and see the fleet. Anybody feel me on this?

The most awe inspiring thing in all of halo lore is when the forerunner travel to another Galaxy and see the fleet. Anybody feel me on this?

That is a pretty amazing part. For me, I'd say it's that whole buildup to Didact firing the Array, and him asking 343 if he should do it. The scale is just crazy.

Doodis

I read the Escalation series (through 117's series) and I totally didn't pick up that
the Ur-Didact was composed! I just thought he blew up with the Halo piece. Looking at it again you can clearly see he's being digitized, but I just chalked that up to the genuinely terrible art :) (The Darth Vader-esque "NOOOOOOO!" didn't help either). That opens up so many possibilities for him/his essence to return.. I was just under the impression that it was the typical "He's not completely dead" reasoning..

Wait, what? They didn't make that apparent AT ALL.
I thought the Halo section was jettisoned toward the planet, then it crashed and blew up, and the Didact was killed in the destruction, while the Chief was beamed back by the monitor.
That's not what happened?

I thought the Halo section was jettisoned toward the planet, then it crashed and blew up, and the Didact was killed in the destruction, while the Chief was beamed back by the monitor.

He's very clearly composed.

SPOILER IMAGE

That's exactly what I thought until I re-read it and looked at the image above, and the panel before shows a bunch of Composers ready to "fire" or whatever.

Very poorly laid out I think, or maybe I'm just very dense. Now it makes a lot more sense why 117 thinks he's merely "contained"!

And.. really.. that closes perfectly a gap with the comics.. as the game players last saw him fall into the "portal", he could just as well of been composed at that instance or whatever. If we see him next in his composed state no one, book/comic/game player will think it's out of place!

That's exactly what I thought until I re-read it and looked at the image above, and the panel before shows a bunch of Composers ready to "fire" or whatever.

Very poorly laid out I think, or maybe I'm just very dense. Now it makes a lot more sense why 117 thinks he's merely "contained"!

And.. really.. that closes perfectly a gap with the comics.. as the game players last saw him fall into the "portal", he could just as well of been composed at that instance or whatever. If we see him next in his composed state no one, book/comic/game player will think it's out of place!

You're exactly correct!

Toa TAK

Banned

You're exactly correct!

But then why bother with the comic?

LordOfChaos

Talk about getting a taste of his own medicine.

Now interrogate his composed mind for a few thousand years to even what he did to the composed humans out.

Though, current Halo humanity probably doesn't have the tech...Unless they uploaded an AI to where he is now maybe?

Onikaan

Ahhh going through so much stuff today. I read the Escalation series (through 117's series) and I totally didn't pick up that
the Ur-Didact was composed! I just thought he blew up with the Halo piece. Looking at it again you can clearly see he's being digitized, but I just chalked that up to the genuinely terrible art :) (The Darth Vader-esque "NOOOOOOO!" didn't help either). That opens up so many possibilities for him/his essence to return.. I was just under the impression that it was the typical "He's not completely dead" reasoning..

Ugh.

You see, I don't like this. I wasn't planning on reading the Halo comics, so I'd have had absolutely no idea the Didact had been digitized. The last time I saw him, he had fallen into a slip-space portal. Why are humongous plot points being played out in a comic book?

I don't understand that at all.

Why.

Toa TAK

Banned
You see the Composers Forge, the fact that a Halo goes missing.. etc etc. Enough to add to the lore without making HUGE changes to the universe for people who missed the comics I guess?

I guess. It's cool that they're doing these kinds of stories here in the comics, but I'm hoping they have a bigger impact than that.

Haha.. some people want the comics/books/etc to have HUGE plot points and changes and others want the extended media to not be essential to the overall story.. we can't both be happy!

I think they're walking a fine line, hopefully it makes most people happy :)

Ugh.

You see, I don't like this. I wasn't planning on reading the Halo comics, so I'd have had absolutely no idea the Didact had been digitized. The last time I saw him, he had fallen into a slip-space portal. Why are humongous plot points being played out in a comic book?

I don't understand that at all.

Why.

The thing is, the end result really isn't that different.

Haha.. some people want the comics/books/etc to have HUGE plot points and changes and others want the extended media to not be essential to the overall story.. we can't both be happy!

I think they're walking a fine line, hopefully it makes most people happy :)

It's hard to please both camps. I'm in the camp that is happy for anything between games. :)

Can anyone reconcile the notion of the Didact being composed with him saying he can't be in one of the Halo 4 terminals? What's up with that?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ooW_qI4CQ5A#t=45

I... huh. Not sure what that's about. I mean, maybe he was wrong? Or there's something different about the other composers.

I believe he was attempting to find a way to reverse the effects of the Flood.

He was, but he said that the composer wouldn't work on his "new form." So something else is up.

Onikaan

I won't complain anymore. You guys love it, and I do too.
I don't read the books or comics, but I do love to read the Wiki and ask the odd question.

It's just, things like that, I felt were pivotal to the unfolding of the Reclaimer Saga. I would have been confused, to see the Didact digitized, Poodlestrike. Others maybe not, but I saw him fall into slip-space, and I would have gone into Halo 5 with this retained.

I won't complain anymore. You guys love it, and I do too.
I don't read the books or comics, but I do love to read the Wiki and ask the odd question.

It's just, things like that, I felt were pivotal to the unfolding of the Reclaimer Saga. I would have been confused, to see the Didact digitized, Poodlestrike. Others maybe not, but I saw him fall into slip-space, and I would have gone into Halo 5 with this retained.

Ah, but that's the genius.

Composed, not composed, you can reintroduce the Didact in the same way.

Chief: "I thought you were dead!"

Didact: "It will take more than your best efforts to destroy me, monkey."

Works either way.

Onikaan

Works either way.

True. I'm just too pernickety.

Interesting thing I noticed rewatching that terminal!

Looks like the Librarian is there with the Didact. See her lower body and hand on his shoulder. https://youtu.be/q3nx78-S2r0

Never noticed that before.

Welfare

Works either way.

Lol that dialogue could be straight ripped from the new DBZ movie.

From Henry V, Act III; Scene 1:
Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more;
Or close the wall up with our English dead.
In peace there's nothing so becomes a man
As modest stillness and humility:
But when the blast of war blows in our ears,
Then imitate the action of the tiger;
Stiffen the sinews, summon up the blood,
Disguise fair nature with hard-favour'd rage;
Then lend the eye a terrible aspect;
Let pry through the portage of the head
Like the brass cannon; let the brow o'erwhelm it

Dishonour not your mothers; now attest
That those whom you call'd fathers did beget you.

Be copy now to men of grosser blood,
And teach them how to war.

From a plot summary of Deep Space Nine, s07e07, titled Once More Unto the Breach:
Kor's pride is rekindled when he realizes only his lifetime of experience can make the plan work. It is also the warrior's death he has longed for. As such, the Dahar master surprises Worf with a hypospray, sedates him and takes his place.

Just some interesting things that come up when searching for Unto the Breach, as that is now the newest UNSC vessel to be added to the lore. It's always interesting to speculate where they possibly drew inspiration to get the names from, and given the context of Benjamin's investigation when we first hear of the vessel itself. Just little things. Nothing groundbreaking. Could be totally unrelated, too.

Not sure if this was brought up before, but... Are we seeing even more subliminal ONI propaganda right under our noses?

1280px-Halo_5_Guardians.jpg

754px-Halo5_Primary-TeaserArt_Vertical_RGB_Final.jpg

Can you spot the pretty massive differences?

Hint: look at the backgrounds...

God just watched Halo 4s legendary ending again, and Im super excited for 5. You gotta feel bad for John, I really hope he finds his own purpose and Humanity in these next couple of games, and of course find his way back to Cortana somehow. Its just not the same without her :(

Oh nice catch. Might just be as simple as that!

Yeah, I was super pumped for Reach and watched that ViDoc (along with any other material) more than a few times, so the name instantly stuck out haha. It could still be a reference to Henry V (or a reference to anything referencing it) as well, but I'd say it's almost certainly at least partly referencing that ViDoc.

Yeah, I was super pumped for Reach and watched that ViDoc (along with any other material) more than a few times, so the name instantly stuck out haha. It could still be a reference to Henry V (or a reference to anything referencing it) as well, but I'd say it's almost certainly at least partly referencing that ViDoc.

Let's just go with both and may Stinkles judge us from on high in Bannedsville.

Also, I always get excited anytime there's a new Halo ViDoc. Bungie and 343 have put together some of the best vidz over the years.

Fuchsdh

Not sure if this was brought up before, but... Are we seeing even more subliminal ONI propaganda right under our noses?

1280px-Halo_5_Guardians.jpg

754px-Halo5_Primary-TeaserArt_Vertical_RGB_Final.jpg

Can you spot the pretty massive differences?

Hint: look at the backgrounds...

I think it's probably just an evolution of the look for Sanghelios(?)

I think it's probably just an evolution of the look for Sanghelios(?)

Definitely possible. I only bring it up because of the recent revelation of the Halo 2 boxart being a doctored image, at the hands of ONI. I'm wondering if we're seeing the same thing happening, here.

any infos on Troy Denning's "Last Light" Halo book due in september?

I did a deep digging over the weekend for any information on that novel, but I couldn't find anything. Not even a crumb of bread. I'd imagine we won't get a synopsis until at least the summer, or shortly after Hunters in the Dark and Saint's Testimony are out.

I'm also kind of hoping that there'll be a physical release of the three novellas once they are all out....perhaps bundled together in one spine?

New Blood
Saint's Testimony
Shadow of Intent

Toa TAK

Banned
I did a deep digging over the weekend for any information on that novel, but I couldn't find anything. Not even a crumb of bread. I'd imagine we won't get a synopsis until at least the summer, or shortly after Hunters in the Dark and Saint's Testimony are out.

I'm also kind of hoping that there'll be a physical release of the three novellas once they are all out....perhaps bundled together in one spine?

New Blood
Saint's Testimony
Shadow of Intent

I can't get over New Blood. It just makes me more anxious for the ODST Remaster.

I wonder when we'll get the next update on that?

CRIMSONxSERAPH

Neo Member
There's actually a lot of key moments in there that will become a lot more important down the road, especially the bit about the Luminary and some of the things involving the bands of Elites.

I'm also fairly curious as to the role of Enduring Bias moving forward. He may be of no consequential value, and then again he might be a fairly large factor moving ahead, even if he has become a bit more of a Sangheili sympathizer :p

monome

New Blood
Saint's Testimony
Shadow of Intent

yep. that Frankie/Joe combo.

Top Bottom