• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo Lore Thread

I can't get over New Blood. It just makes me more anxious for the ODST Remaster.

I wonder when we'll get the next update on that?

I had previously thought we'd get it before E3, but maybe they're saving it for E3, and while on stage, they'll announce that it's available to download as soon as their keynote is over or something.

Fuchsdh

I'm also fairly curious as to the role of Enduring Bias moving forward. He may be of no consequential value, and then again he might be a fairly large factor moving ahead, even if he has become a bit more of a Sangheili sympathizer :p

The biggest question I had about Bias is just what class of AI is he—because his description sounds a lot like the three-eyed casing on Mendicant Bias.

I'm also fairly curious as to the role of Enduring Bias moving forward. He may be of no consequential value, and then again he might be a fairly large factor moving ahead, even if he has become a bit more of a Sangheili sympathizer :p

Same... He's a fun monitor, and I hope to see him again.

scently

He is the most delightful part or character in the book. I am not exactly sure what the book is all about. It doesn't really add anything of consequence.

I'm not really up-to-speed on my in-depth Halo lore, but I was just wondering... Does anyone have any thoughts on if we'll ever see The Arbiter again in Halo games? I really enjoyed him in Halo 2.

monome

I'm not really up-to-speed on my in-depth Halo lore, but I was just wondering... Does anyone have any thoughts on if we'll ever see The Arbiter again in Halo games? I really enjoyed him in Halo 2.

You see him in the Halo 5 trailer handing the second playable character's torch to Locke.

Buntabox

Recently finished New Blood. It has the most personal perspective of a halo story. I found it pretty refreshing. So much personality. It's the one thing Halo tends to lack sometimes. They get caught up in the world building and set up, sometimes having more than one dimensional characters is an after thought.

The novella fleshes out Alpha Nine very well. You get a feel for what drives each of them and what informs their exterior persona. Romeo actually comes off as fairly interesting. He fronts this asshole/smart ass attitude, but
ultimately feels pain from all the comrades he's lost. Whether through death or retirement.
He bottles it and hides it behind back-talk and womanizing. Admittedly, its not the most original idea, but giving him a motivation at all is a great step. I came away with a deeper appreciation of the character, despite the fact he can be a little shit.

I've always had mixed feelings about the S4s. It seems like a natural progression of the universe, but in some ways devalued the struggle at the core of Halo (to me). By Halo 4 they are trucking around the galaxy with a super human army, literally driving through covenant battlecarriers. Humanity was always the underdog in Halo and I valued that. It didn't help that there isn't like a likable S4 in all of Halo 4.

New Blood turned me around on the S4s. It establishes more of their vulnerability/capability. And a line Musa delivers
at the end of the book regarding the S2 and S4 programs. Forgive me, I am paraphrasing. The S2 program was designed to "make the ultimate weapon." One without questioning its orders. It would perform exactly as directed. The S4 program is designed to "create heroes."
Little corny, but a great bit nonetheless. It's kind of nice when you see a high ranking officer in the halo universe with some optimism.

Can't wait for ODST to be added into the MCC.
Next, Reach please. Don't let it be lost to the old console :(

We'll almost certainly see him in 5. He was in the new H2A bookend cutscenes with Locke, he narrated the H5 trailer...

Can anyone reconcile the notion of the Didact being composed with him saying he can't be in one of the Halo 4 terminals? What's up with that?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ooW_qI4CQ5A#t=45

The panel before the composure (?) shows 4 or 5 composers all 'warming up', so perhaps if they all activated at the same time that would be enough to get past whatever immunity he built up?

I'm not sure. Again, it's left open ended enough that we don't know what really happened, as no one in the lore specifically says "Oh, he's composed now". John-117 just says "he's contained". It LOOKS like he's being digitized.. but again.. that art.. so who knows. As someone else mentioned it's probably left open ended enough that they could bring him back later with more leeway.

Fuchsdh

When the Didact says the Composer won't work on him, we don't know if he's referring to the actual immunity to its effects, or actually just the digitization process. For all we know, what he's referring to is the fact that the Composer would just nuke him, but he would not be successfully preserved digitally.

Toa TAK

Banned
Recently finished New Blood. It has the most personal perspective of a halo story. I found it pretty refreshing. So much personality. It's the one thing Halo tends to lack sometimes. They get caught up in the world building and set up, sometimes having more than one dimensional characters is an after thought.

The novella fleshes out Alpha Nine very well. You get a feel for what drives each of them and what informs their exterior persona. Romeo actually comes off as fairly interesting. He fronts this asshole/smart ass attitude, but
ultimately feels pain from all the comrades he's lost. Whether through death or retirement.
He bottles it and hides it behind back-talk and womanizing. Admittedly, its not the most original idea, but giving him a motivation at all is a great step. I came away with a deeper appreciation of the character, despite the fact he can be a little shit.

I've always had mixed feelings about the S4s. It seems like a natural progression of the universe, but in some ways devalued the struggle at the core of Halo (to me). By Halo 4 they are trucking around the galaxy with a super human army, literally driving through covenant battlecarriers. Humanity was always the underdog in Halo and I valued that. It didn't help that there isn't like a likable S4 in all of Halo 4.

New Blood turned me around on the S4s. It establishes more of their vulnerability/capability. And a line Musa delivers
at the end of the book regarding the S2 and S4 programs. Forgive me, I am paraphrasing. The S2 program was designed to "make the ultimate weapon." One without questioning its orders. It would perform exactly as directed. The S4 program is designed to "create heroes."
Little corny, but a great bit nonetheless. It's kind of nice when you see a high ranking officer in the halo universe with some optimism.

Can't wait for ODST to be added into the MCC.
Next, Reach please. Don't let it be lost to the old console :(

So true at the bold. I'm glad you enjoyed New Blood, it's got to he one of my favorite Halo novels they've done. It was a treat to see the cast of ODST's story further developed and it makes a great companion piece to the game I feel. And yeah, I feel you on the Spartan IV's, with
what's left of
Alpha-Nine in there, I can at least look forward to a Spartan IV appearing in a game (that isn't Locke). There was also some serious drama! in the book, too. Nothing world-shaking, but being as personal as it was, I felt all the more connected.

I had previously thought we'd get it before E3, but maybe they're saving it for E3, and while on stage, they'll announce that it's available to download as soon as their keynote is over or something.

Yup, that Spring release. Ah well, I just hope it comes to us with no issues whatsoever. That'll be worth the wait.

CRIMSONxSERAPH

Neo Member
We've been talking a lot about the books, because we at least have synopses of a few of the new ones, and we obviously have the Hunt the Truth campaign going right now, which is awesome. Something else that I almost completely forgot about until just a few hours ago though: the Halo TV show/event thing by Spielberg!

Is there any more information on it, such as when to expect it or how long it might be, or even what it might be about? I haven't seen anything, but I can still hope I just overlooked something.

If not, what do you guys think it could be about or want it to address?

We've been talking a lot about the books, because we at least have synopses of a few of the new ones, and we obviously have the Hunt the Truth campaign going right now, which is awesome. Something else that I almost completely forgot about until just a few hours ago though: the Halo TV show/event thing by Spielberg!

Is there any more information on it, such as when to expect it or how long it might be, or even what it might be about? I haven't seen anything, but I can still hope I just overlooked something.

If not, what do you guys think it could be about or want it to address?

No information as of yet... And I totally forgot about that lol. The books take up all of my professing and theorizing power, completely slipped my mind! I'd imagine we'll get our first look at E3.

Buntabox

what's left of
Alpha-Nine in there, I can at least look forward to a Spartan IV appearing in a game (that isn't Locke).

I hope we get a reveal of this soon. It's as bad a kept secret as Khan in Into Darkness. ODST remaster and a book on Alpha Nine (the ending makes it even more obvious).

Would be a gigantic tease if it weren't true. I assume E3 would be the earliest we hear word.

I hope we get a reveal of this soon. It's as bad a kept secret as Khan in Into Darkness. ODST remaster and a book on Alpha Nine (the ending makes it even more obvious).

Would be a gigantic tease if it weren't true. I assume E3 would be the earliest we hear word.

Gahhh I need to read New Blood so badly, but I need to know when ODST is going to be released haha.

Rightful Chaos

Neo Member
Not sure if this has been discussed as I've been busy lately but has anyone considered that
the other Spartans with Locke are Buck and Romeo? He did ask that be not be in charge anymore.

Buntabox

Not sure if this has been discussed as I've been busy lately but has anyone considered that
the other Spartans with Locke are Buck and Romeo? He did ask that be not be in charge anymore.

That's what I was talking about specifically above. And the rumor was around prior to the New Blood announcement/release, iirc.

Rightful Chaos

Neo Member
That's what I was talking about specifically above. And the rumor was around prior to the New Blood announcement/release, iirc.

oh, ok. Wasn't aware this was a rumor before hand. No one in my circle considered the idea, or at least didn't make it known, until I presented it after I finished New Blood.

Fuchsdh

That'd certainly be interesting.

The more I've thought about it, the more I *do* think NPCs alongside Locke would be incredibly helpful to players. This is a new character, and frankly one that hasn't gotten a lot of good legwork done on him (I mean, the trailers are the first time we see him really give a dramatic reading of lines.) Having other people to bounce thoughts off of and discuss things that aren't just that voice on the radio that makes you do things would be a simple and effective way of providing characterization.

I mean, look at a game like Bioshock Infinite. That game succeeds almost solely because of the interplay between its leads.

The Halo: Escalation comic books are the "latest" lore pieces right now, correct? As in the Halo timeline? (Issue 16.. 2558-07-20)

Curious that I've seen very little insurrectionist talk in that Comic.. though it's been focused on other things.

New Blood takes place in 2555 and Kilo-5 was in 2553 I think right? Wonder if the budding insurrection is taken care of by the events in Halo 4-beyond?

That'd certainly be interesting.

The more I've thought about it, the more I *do* think NPCs alongside Locke would be incredibly helpful to players. This is a new character, and frankly one that hasn't gotten a lot of good legwork done on him (I mean, the trailers are the first time we see him really give a dramatic reading of lines.) Having other people to bounce thoughts off of and discuss things that aren't just that voice on the radio that makes you do things would be a simple and effective way of providing characterization.

I mean, look at a game like Bioshock Infinite. That game succeeds almost solely because of the interplay between its leads.

There's also the question of what AI will be on board his armor, if there'll be one at all.

LordOfChaos

There's also the question of what AI will be on board his armor, if there'll be one at all.

BB! Pick BB! For the love of all that is holy. Perfect chance to introduce him into the mainline games.

Unless he goes to the Chief...But as ONIs pet, probably not.

Though, thats assuming he's still around....Depends on when Halo 5 is supposed to take place, and if anything post-cortona was able to live any longer.

BB! Pick BB! For the love of all that is holy. Perfect chance to introduce him into the mainline games.

Though, thats assuming he's still around....Depends on when Halo 5 is supposed to take place, and if anything post-cortona was able to live any longer.

I want it to be BB sooooo badly.

It'd be a great way for Locke to have an internal banter to go back and forth with, plus it would allow Osman to have real-time viewing of what's going on, as BB is perfectly suited to split himself up and do lots of major tasks all at once. His main segment could remain at ONI while a shard goes along with Locke.

Stinklespls

It'd be a great way for Locke to have an internal banter to go back and forth with, plus it would allow Osman to have real-time viewing of what's going on, as BB is perfectly suited to split himself up and do lots of major tasks all at once. His main segment could remain at ONI while a shard goes along with Locke.

Stinklespls

And if they cross paths with Halsey... maybe a few memories come to the surface ;)

BB would have about a year left to live if he goes off of standard AI life expectancy. So yes, please 343, let him be in the main games!

As for Locke's team and their affect, Halo 5's creative director worked on Star Wars Republic Commandos, so it is well within the realm of possibility.

CRIMSONxSERAPH

Neo Member

Stinklespls

Not to mention the fact that BB has already demonstrated his own budding sense of morality and comradery (about as much as can be had by an AI before rampancy starts being considered).

I'd imagine if/when (emphasis possibly on the "if")Locke begins to sway from an ONI-loyalist to Team Chief, BB's interaction and either assistance or discouragement to do so and BB's own character development with such evidences given would be another great element to the story.

BB's evolution as a character is really interesting, and it'll be interesting to see if he'll continue to be satisfied blindly following orders as an AI, or if he'll think for himself and choose his own allegiences.

The history of the host of the brain used to create BB may impact BB's interpretation of events and motives, as well.

If Locke's stuff is squad-based, BB could be all four of their AIs, for the whole squad, like Auntie Dot.

CRIMSONxSERAPH

Neo Member
Oh wow.... Yes. That would be quite a fascinating cutscene or two.

Ya know, as much as Spartan Ops got some flack for being repetitive and lacking the same aspect of fun and replayability as Firefight, the second 5 episodes were completely solid with me.

I wouldn't mind them continuing Spartan Ops, if they learn from the criticisms of the Halo 4 episodes. Depending on the conclusion to 5, it could possibly even focus on Locke's/Chief's team of Spartans instead, which would help people possibly feel like the story had more weight to it.

Just a thought, though.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
The Halo: Escalation comic books are the "latest" lore pieces right now, correct? As in the Halo timeline? (Issue 16.. 2558-07-20)

Curious that I've seen very little insurrectionist talk in that Comic.. though it's been focused on other things.

New Blood takes place in 2555 and Kilo-5 was in 2553 I think right? Wonder if the budding insurrection is taken care of by the events in Halo 4-beyond?

Going by the map descriptions in the Halo 5 beta, the Insurrectionist/Separatist threat is still real and active during the events of Halo 5.

And that's just the humans.

If Locke's stuff is squad-based, BB could be all four of their AIs, for the whole squad, like Auntie Dot.

Auntie Dot, yes! <3

Ya know, as much as Spartan Ops got some flack for being repetitive and lacking the same aspect of fun and replayability as Firefight, the second 5 episodes were completely solid with me.

I wouldn't mind them continuing Spartan Ops, if they learn from the criticisms of the Halo 4 episodes. Depending on the conclusion to 5, it could possibly even focus on Locke's/Chief's team of Spartans instead, which would help people possibly feel like the story had more weight to it.

Just a thought, though.

Maybe I'm in the minority, but I really enjoyed Spartan Ops as a whole- the cutscenes were so excellent. I'd be down for a season two.

LordOfChaos

As long as we have a BB love-fest going on (FRANKIE ARE YOU READING THIS), did anyone else imagine his voice and sardonic tone being like Jarvis from the Iron Man movies?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wx7RCJvoCMc&spfreload=10
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZwOxM0-byvc&spfreload=10

Maybe I'm in the minority, but I really enjoyed Spartan Ops as a whole- the cutscenes were so excellent. I'd be down for a season two.

I enjoyed watching them as a movie, couldn't motivate myself to get through the pretty boring gameplay though. But I'm all in for more, even if only for the amazing cutscenes.

CRIMSONxSERAPH

Neo Member
Auntie Dot, yes! <3

Yep! The gameplay itself wasn't bad, but the fact that the locations were not only repeats from the campaign, but then reused a few times even within SO made it a bit monotonous to play through, but I did love the cutscenes.

It felt a bit disjointed though. The gameplay was following team Crimson, but the cutscenes were majorly following Majestic. Spartan Ops as it was implemented in H4 felt like a team within 343i was working on extra gameplay, and then there was a team working on extra canon content, and at the last minute they decided to combine efforts. I know there are elements that cross over, and overall it's not completely dissatisfying, but I feel they could have done a lot better at merging the story and gameplay elements than what they did.

As far as the potential of Spartan Ops though? Sky's the limit. They could really hit a homerun with it with some work and fine-tuning.

Be still my beating heart...

kory-hubbell-hunters-inthedark-regret-kory-paintover-finalfinalfinal.jpg

Can't wait to read that. Will be awesome to see the descriptions and hopefully get some MB action!

And I don't know why, but those always remind me of Mousers :)

Mouser-1.jpg

I'm also kind of hoping that there'll be a physical release of the three novellas once they are all out....perhaps bundled together in one spine?

New Blood
Saint's Testimony
Shadow of Intent

I really hope so. I am not at all a fan of digital books and purchased New Blood on my iPhone quite begrudgingly. And of course I can't pass up on new Stinkles and Staten material. I would definitely double dip for an "Evolutions Vol. 3" to keep my physical collection complete.

I really hope so. I am not at all a fan of digital books and purchased New Blood on my iPhone quite begrudgingly. And of course I can't pass up on new Stinkles and Staten material. I would definitely double dip for an "Evolutions Vol. 3" to keep my physical collection complete.

I need to pick up Vol II. Slacking.

Needless to say, by the end of the year, I'm going to need to upgrade the storage space for my Halo shrine...

Bbgtp28.jpg

Fuchsdh

I need to pick up Vol II. Slacking.

Needless to say, by the end of the year, I'm going to need to upgrade the storage space for my Halo shrine...

Bbgtp28.jpg

I just gave up on physical copies. Takes up too much room, and when I want to search for something it's easier to do via a digital edition.

Interesting to see the Broken Circle cover is so different. Wonder if that's what they're going to look like from now on under S&S.

I just gave up on physical copies. Takes up too much room, and when I want to search for something it's easier to do via a digital edition.

Interesting to see the Broken Circle cover is so different. Wonder if that's what they're going to look like from now on under S&S.

Full disclosure: I have digital and physical copies for almost all of them haha.

I hope that the new ones from this year are the same dimensions as Broken Circle, for consistency's sake.

Top Bottom