• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Master Chief Collection Master Thread | This is it, baby. Hold me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Plasma

Banned
I think I'm going to boot into the Halo 3 campaign first on The Covenant level. Really interested to see how Halo 3 looks and runs in 1080/60.

ZaneZavin

Neo Member
Have they said anything about co-op netcode or dedicated servers for campaign? I see a lot of people assuming dedicated servers for campaign, but I haven't seen that in any official capacity.

PooBone

Have they said anything about co-op netcode or dedicated servers for campaign? I see a lot of people assuming dedicated servers for campaign, but I haven't seen that in any official capacity.

Oh yeah.... this could potentiallymake Halo 1 co-op super playable over the net

So I guess I'm still a bit confused, how does the multiplayer work with a collection this big? Do you commit to a game in a menu, like "I want to play Halo 1 multiplayer!" or can you join servers that cycle through all 100 maps, or what? I get the campaign playlist thing

You should watch the RTX panel. They have playlists that literally separate all the different multiplayers into their own sections: Halo CE MP, Halo 2 MP, Halo 3 MP, Halo 4 MP, Halo 2 Anniversary MP. Then, for example, they had a section on just Team Slayer, which spans every MP map from all the games among others. They've really thought this entire thing through.

So I guess I'm still a bit confused, how does the multiplayer work with a collection this big? Do you commit to a game in a menu, like "I want to play Halo 1 multiplayer!" or can you join servers that cycle through all 100 maps, or what? I get the campaign playlist thing

You can do a variety of things. Let's say you want to play Slayer but don't care what game you play. You can than load up a playlist that has each Halo engine and all of the maps. At a voting screen you will get the option, for example purposes, for Halo 1, 2 , 3, etc. It is basically like the old system of voting for a map but this time around its voting for the engine and the map you play on. Now there's also playlist specifically for each game that will only give you maps from that game.

Yeah that's the level. The double scarab part is definitely of my most memorable gaming moments.

Yeah. I can't wait to play through that part either. I remember turning the corner in my Hornet and, bam, double bam, two Scarabs!!!

I cannot wait to play through all of these campaigns again.

NH Apache

Banned
I checked the OP and didn't find any info on bundles. Any announcement on a skinned Xbone bundle?

Maybe the og xbox translucent green? /drool

Oh man, I can't wait to see how that level looks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hduJ62FgpR0

So damn good.

Ugh. I love Halo 3. Best Halo campaign by far, drones and flood ranged forms notwithstanding. Yet, as bad as the aliasing is in that game, the texture filtering is even worse. Truly hideous. I hope Ruffian manage to implement a decent level of AF. That'd do wonders to the more open (and best) levels in Halo 3: Tsavo Highway, The Ark and The Covenant.

Yeah seriously. The game needs more than one playlist for each game and split social/ranked. I don't care about Halo 1, 2, or 4. I just want to play H3 Team, btb, snipers, and doubles.
You can only divide the playerbase so far before matchmaking becomes a bad experience. Its the nature of the beast.

I wonder what they're projecting internally in terms of audience and breakdown across the launch playlists. Regardless, if they keep watch over them and change them to account for popularity this could all still work out.

Maybe.

fras

Banned
I hope the achievements aren't annoying and grindy. And it would be best for them to not be existent in MP.

Yes. The multiplayer achievements in Halo 3 specifically were annoying as hell. Even more so now because lone wolves is dead and it is really hard to get a full lobby.

Kampfheld

Banned
So, I was re-watching the panel again. And ... Wait ...

fxK7IkP.png

We did not know this yet, no? This also means I can play with 4 people online!? In all four games? MEGATON if so!

pacman85

fxK7IkP.png

We did not know this yet, no? This also means I can play with 4 people online!? In all four games? MEGATON if so!
Couldn't you always do this on Halo 2, 3 and 4? I'm pretty sure you could do 4 separate gamertags or even have one gamertag and 3 guests playing. Halo CE you obviously couldn't because there was no online multiplayer but you could have 4 players on one XBox.

Kampfheld

Banned
Couldn't you always do this on Halo 2, 3 and 4? I'm pretty sure you could do 4 separate gamertags or even have one gamertag and 3 guests playing. Halo CE you obviously couldn't because there was no online multiplayer but you could have 4 players on XBox.

Yes, you are right now I am thinking about it.

Man, some features that are "standard" in Halo are missing in so many other shooters. Especially everything regarding split-screen play.

Halo 2

Banned

fxK7IkP.png

Nice catch!
Good to know this is here, I hope/assume it supports LAN play like this?

I checked the OP and didn't find any info on bundles. Any announcement on a skinned Xbone bundle?

Maybe the og xbox translucent green? /drool

Nothing yet, but the timing of this game does lineup with ntknrl's rumor of a limited edition 1TB box in November. So if that comes to fruition then who knows. I kinda hope they wait for Halo 5 cus I don't want to have to buy another Xbox One so soon lol

fxK7IkP.png

That max party size scares me... You can't have the max party size be equal to the total number of players in the game unless it is social. Social is fine, but there needs to be ranked too.

Striker

I'm guessing they'll allow guests in most of the playlists, which is a bummer. That's where most of the quitters come from.

Newlove

Spartan Ops is returning right? I wonder if they'll have matchmaking for it on day one and whether it will still be so laggy.

You should watch the RTX panel. They have playlists that literally separate all the different multiplayers into their own sections: Halo CE MP, Halo 2 MP, Halo 3 MP, Halo 4 MP, Halo 2 Anniversary MP. Then, for example, they had a section on just Team Slayer, which spans every MP map from all the games among others. They've really thought this entire thing through.

You can do a variety of things. Let's say you want to play Slayer but don't care what game you play. You can than load up a playlist that has each Halo engine and all of the maps. At a voting screen you will get the option, for example purposes, for Halo 1, 2 , 3, etc. It is basically like the old system of voting for a map but this time around its voting for the engine and the map you play on. Now there's also playlist specifically for each game that will only give you maps from that game.

Thanks guys. Right after I posted that I started watching the panel, which essentially made my question answered, but I appreciate you two taking the time. Cheers!

Hoping the dedicated servers fix campaign and SP-OPS infamous lag fest. Halo CEA Co-Op was a nightmare.

It won't. The lag you see in campaign is caused by latency to your friend or (most often and more destructively) someone's connection being utter shit and losing packets. Dedicated servers will not save you when Comcast loses that information and the game grinds to a halt. And unlike MP where as long as the host has a good connection, everyone else is fine, a single bad connection in co-op fucks it up for everyone else.

You can only divide the playerbase so far before matchmaking becomes a bad experience. Its the nature of the beast.

I wonder what they're projecting internally in terms of audience and breakdown across the launch playlists. Regardless, if they keep watch over them and change them to account for popularity this could all still work out.

Maybe.
I'm almost more interested in how 343 is going to properly curate these playlists than I am in actually playing them. Seems like a massive undertaking to do something that, in all honesty, has never been done well even before Bungie gave up the mantle.

Expect the worst, hope for the best.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
They need to have a custom games browser. Then playlist division wouldn't even matter.

m23

I'm still skeptical of the netcode, especially for coop. Sure it'll be on dedicated servers, but I don't think that means it'll automatically be lag free. Hopefully 343 proves me wrong.

Pfhunkie

I'm still skeptical of the netcode, especially for coop. Sure it'll be on dedicated servers, but I don't think that means it'll automatically be lag free. Hopefully 343 proves me wrong.
Speaking of netcode, have they said anything about Halo: Combat Evolved's netcode? Just hoping they're not taking Halo PC's.

FyreWulff

Ranked BTB died well before Reach's release. It was around for a bit, then had double exp, then Shishka took it out back and executed it for having terrible population.

It was actually the playlist that caused the policy change of "we're no longer trying to salvage playlists by giving them double exp", because they had tried it before with 1v1 and that didn't save it either.

There was also the entirely redundant Mythic BTB for a bit that was eventually also killed due to low population.

Source

BTB was ranked in Halo 2. I had gotten my highest rank in that playlist back then, I had gotten to a 31 in it. Halo 2 BTB was best BTB.

They need to have a custom games browser. Then playlist division wouldn't even matter.

Master Chief Collection master menu -> Custom Games -> Make Public

Release it as a cross-platform app so you can browse with smartglass/mobile.

Kind of like the browser in the system-link tunnel in the Xbox Connect days.

http://www.reactiongifs.com/r/awesome_to_the_max.gif[/IMG[/QUOTE]

Would also be nice because then you could pin the app to the side of the screen on Xbox to check for new games when you're doing something else, and maybe get notifications when a server pops up with a game/map combo that you're interested in. Toggling filters would be nice too, since there are 100+ maps... Something like BF's web interface (much easier to select with touch or mouse than a dpad):

[QUOTE][IMG]http://i.imgur.com/rLU0i2q.png

I know his will never happen. They've never made finding customs a more seamless experience a priority. Maybe because it could "cut" into matchmaking population? (though, if both were in, and more people played customs than mm, wouldn't that be justification for the feature in the first place?)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom