• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo: Master Chief Collection Master Thread | This is it, baby. Hold me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am. Pure even grounds is a much better design decision with the map control based gameplay of Halo.

There's a balance to be struck. By the end of Halo 4, I'd gotten so bored of the BR and DMR stagnation with an AR interspersed. I switched to the Carbine and LR and found some solace in the new firing cadence, especially in the DLC playlists. I like having that option, but I also think I'd lean more towards pure even starts, at least for the smaller games modes, for consistency's sake. Part of the problem I had could also have been the nature of those weapons, which to me aren't as interesting or rewarding as the pistol was.

I think my ideal Halo would spawn players with a pistol and perhaps a scoped SMG* at all times and put everything else on the map, but I'd probably be the only one playing that...

*RIP ODST

I am. Pure even grounds is a much better design decision with the map control based gameplay of Halo.

I wanted to like it, but it just failed more often than succeeded. At least with everyone having the same weapons, there was more of a power struggle to get the more powerful ones. And if you were the dick to have the Shotty/Sniper combo, and rushed in and got killed, you royally screwed over your team.

Good times...

There's a balance to be struck. By the end of Halo 4, I'd gotten so bored of the BR and DMR stagnation with an AR interspersed. I switched to the Carbine and LR and found some solace in the new firing cadence, especially in the DLC playlists. I like having that option, but I also think I'd lean more towards pure even starts, at least for the smaller games modes, for consistency's sake. Part of the problem I had could also have been the nature of those weapons, which to me aren't as interesting or rewarding as the pistol was.

I think my ideal Halo would spawn players with a pistol and perhaps a scoped SMG* at all times and put everything else on the map, but I'd probably be the only one playing that...

*RIP ODST
Silenced SMG and "tweaked Halo 2 Magnum" for utility weapons of Anniversary please

TTUVAPOR

Banned
Playing Halo 4 players in CE will be glorious.

spartan.gif

Seeing how you all forsee Halo CEs activity right after Halo 2s, do you think 343i should shift their PR focus to a wider spectrum of the included games?
So far the game is always refered to as the Halo 2 Anniversary game with just a sidenote on the other titels, same for the gameplays and introduction videos
Basically its advertised as the "remade" Halo 2 and some bonus-titles on top of it
Some lost PR potential maybe?
I mean the game is not only targeting the hardcore fans who know about the full value

Ape

Banned
Are we going to get a breakdown of which Halo games gets the most active users daily?

For instance:

Halo CE 180k
Halo 2 220k
Halo 3 150k
Halo 4 1k

Something like that?

They already confirmed the first one, but I doubt they'll do the second.

Well the Magnum did get a damage buff. It's possible they'll start players with the Magnum and SMG, or even the silenced SMG in some gametypes.

What we really need to know though is how the silenced SMG will function as far as dual wielding is concerned. Will it be treated like a regular SMG when another is picked up, or will it be its own weapon separate from dual-wieldable SMGs? Or will the scope be applied to the dual wieleded SMG? (cuz smartscopez r canon)

Are we going to get a breakdown of which Halo games gets the most active users daily?

For instance:

Halo CE 180k
Halo 2 220k
Halo 3 150k
Halo 4 1k

Something like that?

You do realize there are like 5 million people with an Xbox One right? Ghosts on 360 doesn't even have that many people.

I see the game selling 4-5 million lifetime MAX, but that is still a super impressive number for what is essentially an HD collection. The real interesting thing will be to see how big the multiplayer population will be and whether or not it will stay alive for more than a few months or a year.

rokkerkory

I see the game selling 4-5 million lifetime MAX, but that is still a super impressive number for what is essentially an HD collection. The real interesting thing will be to see how big the multiplayer population will be and whether or not it will stay alive for more than a few months or a year.

Its to tide folks over til H5.

4-5m lifetime = massive profits

darthbob

You do realize there are like 5 million people with an Xbox One right? Ghosts on 360 doesn't even have that many people.

I'm literally buying an Xbox One for MCC. No other reason. Couldn't care less about Halo 5, but perhaps the beta will change that.

Still, H1, H2, and H3 online again with
hopefully
an active player base will keep me happy for a long time.

So guys, should either of these 2 things make a return?

1.) back-pack reloading

2.) Health

I have a certain affinity
lol
for healthpacks on the ground - a misplaced nostalgic feeling perhaps - and it's also something that I'm not entirely against. However, Halo is a very different game now than when it had healthpacks and I don't think it would support them very well.

I'd say the health system does a few things. It encourages players to avoid shots and punishes them for poor positioning by weakening them after an encounter, so you can't pop your head out every few seconds with no repercussions. Additionally, a healthpack spawn introduces another position on the map to control; however, it can also slow down the rate of encounters somewhat by requiring players to move to said healthpack spawn when they're weakened.

The last part is what bothered me the most about them. I despised being killed by a single grenade or body snipe in Reach when my shield was chipped and my health was red. That's not to say that the health system in Reach is the best or the only way to implement it in a modern Halo. Still, I think there are a number of other problems that would prevent its inclusion.

Firstly, the average kill time now compared to Combat Evolved has changed, and so has the general philosophy of the way Halo is designed. In CE, you could out-pistol one or two people and grab a healthpack all within the span of 10 seconds. This wont really happen in any other Halo game against even skilled opponents. You BR one guy and your shields are already down. There's no way you're going to survive another encounter or even make it to a healthpack unless you were already near its spawn. Again, this meant you were often killed by a belt-grenade or his teammate walking up and cleaning you up.

Fall Damage was also an integral part of the health system. They both worked in tandem to introduce risk-reward elements to the maps. On Damnation for example, players are punished for poor movement or aimless jumps by losing health, which balances the height advantage you earn. Without both the health or fall damage systems, the map becomes flatter and the advantages lose value. And then they had the audacity to put a Jetpack on it at some point...

Man-Cannons also rule out both systems. They're a risk-reward mechanism in themselves, so mixing the two usually means one or the other ends up being nerfed. A man-cannon without much cannon is no fun at all.

The other, perhaps more important aspect of it is that health is mostly outdated in console shooters. Players want to jump into the action at all times. Rechargeable health was actually a big innovation for the genre and it'd probably do more harm than good to go back on that now.

Anyone is free to chime in or say otherwise. I've been wanting to scratch that nostalgic itch for a while, and were it not for CE in this collection, I fear we wouldn't have been seeing much of them anytime soon...

RIP
134px-HReach-HealthPack-transparent.png

Defect

I'm literally buying an Xbox One for MCC. No other reason. Couldn't care less about Halo 5, but perhaps the beta will change that.

Still, H1, H2, and H3 online again with
hopefully
an active player base will keep me happy for a long time.
This game will last me the whole Gen.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
What's back-pack reloading mean? I've followed Halo closely for ten years and have never heard that term!

Edit : Nevermind, looked it up myself. Mind blown.

Edit 2 : lol Gringo, that's the exact source I found. Thanks!

antigoon

I'm not sure how you could think the Pistol in CE was overpowered unless you or one of your friends was some sort of precision savant. It's not like it was easy to 3 shot in that game. Sure the potential TTK was really really low, but ripping off three-shot kills all game wasn't exactly common unless you have people just standing still or running in a straight line while getting shot. Hitboxes were really small, move/strafe speed were fast, targets at range had to be lead. It took a lot of skill.

I'm not sure how you could think the Pistol in CE was overpowered unless you or one of your friends was some sort of precision savant. It's not like it was easy to 3 shot in that game. Sure the potential TTK was really really low, but ripping off three-shot kills all game wasn't exactly common unless you have people just standing still or running in a straight line while getting shot.

The thing is, at lower levels of play that's exactly what would happen; until players get a handle of on movement, the 3sk is pretty feasible. And since the majority of any playerbase is at that level, it does make some sense to take into account their feedback.

-snip-

RIP
134px-HReach-HealthPack-transparent.png
Agreed with everything you said, but I'd put a stronger emphasis on health packs speeding up the game because it can get you back into the action faster than having to wait several seconds for the shield delay/recharge rate. Everything in CE was so powerful that having low health didn't put you at a massive disadvantage, so it wasn't dire to always have full health. Health packs felt like a nice bonus refreshment like "Ahh, just won that shootout and the screen flashing white upon picking up a health pack subconsciously makes me feel rejuvenated, ready for a new fight, explosive with momentum from that victory."

Then the beauty of the Pistol and strafe was that regardless of health/shields, kill times were fast enough that you could still do damage as an individual if you were experienced enough.
The thing is, at lower levels of play that's exactly what would happen; until players get a handle of on movement, the 3sk is pretty feasible. And since the majority of any playerbase is at that level, it does make some sense to take into account their feedback.
But were they complaining or too busy having fun and feeling a sense of determination to improve in a game without a ranking system and superfluous unlocks in a carrot-chasing EXP system?

maybe, just maybe ps4 customers that haven't played halo, might buy an xbox one just to play the collection and give it a try :/

i think its going to be like.
75k-Halo 2
60k-Halo 3
100k-Halo CE now that it has multiplayer :)
75K-Halo 2 A
20k-Halo 4

I think I will be jumping into CE a lot early on since I never really got to experience the multiplayer first time around.

Madness

I think I will be jumping into CE a lot early on since I never really got to experience the multiplayer first time around.

I would probably go straight into the Halo 3 campaign and see how it looks at 1080p and running at 60 frames per second. After that I too would probably try CE multiplayer first to see how it looks, feels and plays. But I played the hell out of it, it's been a long time. I can't wait to see how dedicated servers and matchmaking play out for CE.

antigoon

But you also have to account for the fact that aim isn't very steady at lower levels. I think with a proper ranking or at least skill separation system, there won't be a problem at all.

tootsi666

But you also have to account for the fact that aim isn't very steady at lower levels. I think with a proper ranking or at least skill separation system, there won't be a problem at all.
There will be players who have played CoD/BF so they know how to aim, but they don't know how to move and aim. In low level play there will be many players using only the pistol and firefights between stationary players.

antigoon

There will be players who have played CoD/BF so they know how to aim, but they don't know how to move and aim. In low level play there will be many players using only the pistol and firefights between stationary players.

Firstly, I think a skill matching system will take care of things like this pretty quickly. Secondly, I think you're overstating how much aiming in a game like COD will transfer to Halo CE. People understand the concept of strafing in those games anyway.

tootsi666

Firstly, I think a skill matching system will take care of things like this pretty quickly. Secondly, I think you're overstating how much aiming in a game like COD will transfer to Halo CE. People understand the concept of strafing in those games anyway.
Yes, skill matching system will take care of things, but Battlefield discourages strafing so much that we will see BF-players standing still in firefights. They will learn quickly but 3sk will be really easy against bad players.

TTUVAPOR

Banned
Yes, skill matching system will take care of things, but Battlefield discourages strafing so much that we will see BF-players standing still in firefights. They will learn quickly but 3sk will be really easy against bad players.

What about aiming down the sights? They're going to be pulling left trigger and thinking...wth?

Halo 3 Easter egg found 7 (lucky number!) years after launch.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=LuKaWd6_Stg

Watch video/ read description for back story.

This is not new at all, I remember finding this years and years ago. Every time I would show off halo for the first time on a projector to my youth group (I was a youth leader and I got permission to have halo tournaments with the youth group), or anyone really, I would play this Easter egg because it looked so nice on a larger screen.

Toa TAK

Banned
Playing Anniversary right now (with classic music, mind you), and I just remembered:

We're going to have to recollect everything in this game and in Halo 3.

And I'm actually pretty excited to get everything again. It was fun to do it the first time, I wouldn't mind going back to do it again. I wonder if there will be Halo 2 achievements for getting those skulls. That's a challenge. Especially IWBYD.

Halo 5 is listed on Jennifer Hale's IMDB profile reprising her role as Sara Palmer. Not an official confirmation but there's a pretty higher chance Palmer will have some sort of role in Halo 5

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
Get Hype people

Halo: Nightfall First-Look
Thursday, July 24, 11:45AM – 12:45PM, Room 6BCF

Prepare for your next step in the Halo Journey with a deep-dive into Halo: Nightfall, the upcoming live-action digital series from 343 Industries and Scott Free Productions. Join 343’s Kiki Wolfkill (Executive Producer), Frank O’Connor (Franchise Development Director)along with key Halo: Nightfall cast and crew, and be among the first to get the details of the story and production.

Halo: The Master Chief Collection Developer Panel
Friday, July 25, 10:15AM – 11:15AM, Room 6BCF

Join 343 Industries’ Senior Producer, Dennis Ries, and Franchise Director, Frank O’Connor, Certain Affinity’s President and original Halo 2 multiplayer and online design lead, Max Hoberman, and other guests for an in-depth conversation about Halo: The Master Chief Collection. Fans can hear about what to expect from the highly anticipated compilation and discuss the efforts being made to bring the story of the Master Chief and Halo’s legendary multiplayer to a new generation.

Xbox at Comic-con

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom