• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo:MCC HCS Cup cancelled because of joinability issues..

Embarrassing... I got my Xbox One Halo bundle yesterday from my GF as a birthday present, tried finding matches for an hour long, could not join a single match WTF IS THIS SHIT?

Fox Mulder

Didn't they close down Xbox Live on the og box?

That, but it's also great having the entire series on one console for a new era.

They just outsourced and rushed it to help sell some consoles vs the ps4. People would have been happy with just the halo 2 anniversary and maybe getting the other games as addons as they were ready.

So there are still issues with the game after almost 200 days past release? I always see MCC apologists on GAF claiming its incredible now and that all the issues are fixed so I guess they've been talking out of their asses which is no surprise. I bought it day one, couldn't play and have been waiting this whole time and have lost all interest in it at this point. Very disappointing considering I've been a huge fan since Halo 1 and even bought that at launch as well as every other halo LE, but this looks like it'll be the last Halo title I buy on launch which sucks since Halo was one of the few series that was consistently good so you wouldn't have to worry about pre-ordering or not but that's no longer the case.

VinFTW

Embarrassing... I got my Xbox One Halo bundle yesterday from my GF as a birthday present, tried finding matches for an hour long, could not join a single match WTF IS THIS SHIT?

It's such a shame, before this patch it was running super well.

At least they got working ranks in there finally, now they just need to revert these party/inviting issues.

So there are still issues with the game after almost 200 days past release? I always see MCC apologists on GAF claiming its incredible now and that all the issues are fixed so I guess they've been talking out of their asses which is no surprise. I bought it day one, couldn't play and have been waiting this whole time and have lost all interest in it at this point. Very disappointing considering I've been a huge fan since Halo 1 and even bought that at launch as well as every other halo LE, but this looks like it'll be the last Halo title I buy on launch which sucks since Halo was one of the few series that was consistently good so you wouldn't have to worry about pre-ordering or not but that's no longer the case.

Wow, it's almost as if you have no idea what you're talking about. The irony.

You should thank Microsoft for that. I mean, seriously, say thankyou to Microsoft.

It's the thought that counts after all.

So not fixed as certain fans have been insisting it was the past few weeks? What a shock.

This title has been a real embarassment.

More like to what degree is it fixed.... Online is working SIGNIFICANTLY more than whatever the fuck it was in December. Finding online games for specific matches actually works.

Sir_Vival

"I don't remember PEWPEWPEWPEWPEW being a part of the Star Wars movies."
Didn't they close down Xbox Live on the og box?

Yeah, but those games actually have LAN support. Crazy, I know. Sadly the OG Xbox is still the best way to play a Halo 1 and 2 LAN party. You don't need internet access. You don't need to worry about Xbox Live going down (which is what happened the last time my friends and I tried to play - group of 10 people, planned it 2 months in advance), teams aren't scrambled after every match. It just works.

VinFTW

Yeah, but those games actually have LAN support. Crazy, I know. Sadly the OG Xbox is still the best way to play a Halo 1 and 2 LAN party. You don't need internet access. You don't need to worry about Xbox Live going down (which is what happened the last time my friends and I tried to play - group of 10 people, planned it 2 months in advance), teams aren't scrambled after every match. It just works.

Those are the best way to play regardless because the Xbox versions of Halo 2 and Halo 1 are SOOOOO much better than the PC versions of 1/2 in MCC :p

The game is still not right, but I don't have the 200 wins achievement from simply randomly finding games after waiting for an hour and all that. It works, just not as well as it should (still),

Maxim726X

It's such a shame, before this patch it was running super well.

At least they got working ranks in there finally, now they just need to revert these party/inviting issues.

Wow, it's almost as if you have no idea what you're talking about. The irony.

Wait, wait- They fixed the game, and then broke it again?

... Wow. What more is there to say.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
So is this a server issue or is there something wrong with the game itself?

is there a difference? It's not like the servers are getting hammered if that's what you mean (which you could probably understand <1 week after release). 6 months later though I would honestly be surprised if they had more than a few thousand people playing this.

VinFTW

Wait, wait- They fixed the game, and then broke it again?

... Wow. What more is there to say.

Splash Damage did the latest patch... it's almost as if they patched it using old code from before March -_-

I wish there was an "Undo" button and they could just use it for this April patch, lmao.

Maxim726X

Splash Damage did the latest patch... it's almost as if they patched it using old code from before March -_-

I wish there was an "Undo" button and they could just use it for this April patch, lmao.

Though that could be considered a valid explanation- It's still inexcusable. This is the franchise that sells consoles, arguably MS's only such franchise.

Just can't happen. That's really all there is to it.

VinFTW

Though that could be considered a valid explanation- It's still inexcusable. This is the franchise that sells consoles, arguably MS's only such franchise.

Just can't happen. That's really all there is to it.

They need to dig in and just fix this fucking thing already.

Seriously, Halo 5's story and MP are going to be incredible. 343i is finally doing good work... if only they could fix the MCC and maybe add in Reach as well for free, they could garner some good will again.

Wait so splash damage broke it?? I thought they were the ones to fix it.

Cidd

Appearntly the last patch fucked up the party system in the game.

Ah ok, so they flew too close to the sun basically.

is there a difference? It's not like the servers are getting hammered if that's what you mean (which you could probably understand <1 week after release). 6 months later though I would honestly be surprised if they had more than a few thousand people playing this.

Well true but I thought it was a server side issue ala Driveclub but I can see it's even worse than that.

VinFTW

Wait so splash damage broke it?? I thought they were the ones to fix it.

Edit: Splash damage did the March patch, not April.

The ranks work finally, but the revisions to the parties and invites are broken, hence the first cup being cancelled ever.

Again, let's not focus too much on who did what, it could be a lot more complicated.

The main takeaway is that this needs to be fixed asap so we can have another solid HCS season.

Welfare

Whoever did the March patch did an amazing job. Splash Damage I believe did the April patch. The ranks work finally, but the revisions to the parties and invites are broken, hence the first cup being cancelled ever.

Again, let's not focus too much on who did what, it could be a lot more complicated.

The main takeaway is that this needs to be fixed asap so we can have another solid HCS season.

Splash did March.

An outside company did better than what 343 could do.

cakely

People buy into narratives, sometimes even when it doesn't match the truth. Microsoft royally fucked up by rushing the one out of the door, this much is true, but the ones trying to peddle a story saying the game is broken and doesn't work are just lying and hiding behind groupthink at this stage. I have a couple buddies with the game who I talk to regularly who all agree that the game is fixed for all intents and purposes at this stage.

So, the story peddlers, liars, and groupthink hiders are the ones that cancelled the Halo:MCC HCS Cup?

Shame on them! Get this story out there. The rest of you sheeple, wake up!

Pop

I love the Halo franchise but I had to sell my Xbox after all the problems. I only care about Halo on Xbox so when that was fucked up, I had to sell. There was so many problems at launch and apparently still are. Still bitter that I had to sell it but it was a must. I don't trust 343i, not after H4 and then this crap launched. So I'm done. The only way I will buy another Xbox and H5 is if the game launches smoothly and of course if I like what I see.

But right now, Halo is pretty much forgotten by me. Which is a shame because I grew up with it.

JaggedSac

You are correct. Will edit my post.

I just don't think the MCC team is very big, so hiring an outside/entire studio to do fixes is the best way to go.

Yep. It appears 343 is unable to spare resources from H5 team in order to still make Oct launch so they are contracting out to do the MCC patches.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Yep. It appears 343 is unable to spare resources from H5 team in order to still make Oct launch so they are contracting out to do the MCC patches.

They contracted every aspect of the game out, not just the patches. They very literally didn't even make the game.

VinFTW

Yeah, some of the reasoning on display here is borderline delusional it feels like :/

The same can be said for the hyperbole regarding the MCC.

The people who spend day in and day out in the trenches of MCC are saying one thing and those that don't even own an X1/MCC are saying another.

The game worked well enough that I'd recommend the game again in the March patch. Now it's broken again. The HCS has had no real major issues for a long time now. This is the first cup cancellation.

I DO blame the OP for making it sound like the entire thing is cancelled (as does the headlines for the Kotaku article), when in fact, it's just one online cup (1 out of 10, not to mention 3 LANs).

Don't be so quick to judge people, after all, isn't that what you complain about in every thread?

JaggedSac

They contracted every aspect of the game out, not just the patches. They very literally didn't even make the game.

I haven't looked at the game credits, does 343 not have any development credit in there?

The same can be said for the hyperbole regarding the MCC.

The people who spend day in and day out in the trenches of MCC are saying one thing and those that don't even own an X1/MCC are saying another.

The game worked well enough that I'd recommend the game again in the March patch. Now it's broken again. The HCS has had no real major issues for a long time now. This is the first cup cancellation.

I DO blame the OP for making it sound like the entire thing is cancelled (as does the headlines for the Kotaku article), when in fact, it's just one online cup (1 out of 10, not to mention 3 LANs).

Don't be so quick to judge people, after all, isn't that what you complain about in every thread?

Yep, I even linked to my game history.

Phil4000

343 fail.
Halo 5 will most likely be a disappointment as well :/

Its a shame, I was a huge fan of the series since Halo: Combat Evolved
(launch owner of all the Halo games, since the original on the Xbox 1 launch)

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
I haven't looked at the game credits, does 343 not have any development credit in there?

Check them yourselves.

The list of developers that made the game doesn't include the host of companies 343i also work with to provide assistance. With companies like MS, the amount of companies and people involved can be huge. It's also not fair to blame any individuals that aren't management/decision makers.

Blur Studios
Amaxra
MAQ Software
Experis
Volt
Apex Systems
Insight Global
Lionbridge

VinFTW

343 fail.

Just curious, why do you say this (bolded)?

I don't see how this will help the situation at all. They can't get 4 games to run properly (sorry but 'pretty much working condition' does not = fixed) why add a 5th to the mix?

How we ended at the narrative today, where 343i had little to do with the game, yet apparently had a lot to do with the promotion leading up to release (seemed to be a new thread every other week of remastered map videos)

From reading some of the posts on here, Halo 5 beta had some issues as well, which are hopefully ironed out

Yeah you're right. It was just wishful thinking on my end for the people who still have the game and want it fixed.

Kssio_Aug

343 fail.

I blamed the hell out of 343i when I was angry with MCC not working here. But thinking straight, I find it very hard to Halo 5 suffer the same destiny.

Halo MCC probably had a extremely rushed time schedule for such ambitious games. MS outsourced it completely to achieve that and 343i probably used just a small part of the team to supervise it, since they were probably focusing at Halo 5 all this time.

Lets not forget also that Halo 5 is just one game. It also even had a beta test. Halo MCC had no beta test, and there are 4 games made in different engines, two of them very old and running on multiple engines at the same time, and in a probably very short lenght to develop.

Maybe I will be disappointed and Halo 5 will be a messed release. But right now I don't think MCC and Halo 5 are equivalent.

Sorral

Silent Hill HD and Zone of the Enders initial release are up there, all for different reasons however.

Initial ZoE 2 HD port ran worse than the PS2 version, but it was still playable (shitty frame rate no doubt) from what I remember. Nowhere near the mess that is Silent Hill HD, which is still the same today.

OneUh8

This thread makes me sad and angry :( I bought a Xbox One during the holidays specifically for MCC. Sad to say I traded it in a couple months ago. Game needs soo much more work even if they online was perfect. The games are nothing like how I remember. If they get online 100%, get ranks and have them working 100%, do something about quitters and keep lobbies together post match, I will probably buy again. I wonder if those things will ever happen.

I blamed the hell out of 343i when I was angry with MCC not working here. But thinking straight, I find it very hard to Halo 5 suffer the same destiny.

Halo MCC probably had a extremely rushed time schedule for such ambitious games. MS outsourced it completely to achieve that and 343i probably used just a small part of the team to supervise it, since they were probably focusing at Halo 5 all this time.

Lets not forget also that Halo 5 is just one game. It also even had a beta test. Halo MCC had no beta test, and there are 4 games made in different engines, two of them very old and running on multiple engines at the same time, and in a probably very short lenght to develop.

Maybe I will be disappointed and Halo 5 will be a messed release. But right now I don't think MCC and Halo 5 are equivalent.

I think its extremely short sighted and unintelligent to believe that Halo 5 will be a technical mess like Halo MCC when 343 have clearly demonstrated that they can build working games (Halo 4 and Halo 5 beta).

VinFTW

This thread makes me sad and angry :( I bought a Xbox One during the holidays specifically for MCC. Sad to say I traded it in a couple months ago. Game needs soo much more work even if they online was perfect. The games are nothing like how I remember. If they get online 100%, get ranks and have them working 100%, do something about quitters and keep lobbies together post match, I will probably buy again. I wonder if those things will ever happen.

Well, if we could keep the ranks from the April patch and the party/invite system from the March patch, we'd be 99% there to what you're asking for :/

Wasp

And yet still Microsoft maintain that only people who played MCC before 21st December are entitled to have ODST for free...

Top Bottom