• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo Online: Eldewrito 'Feature Complete' Update

Blam

I'm not sure if we are allowed to talk about this here or not, since it was banned on OldGAF unofficially?

But this mod has made some seriously fucking massive leaps, and bounds in it's progress/feature set. That I feel like not many know about. I'm going to quote the blog post, here for those that don't want to go off site or can't.

It’s been about a month since our last post, and we apologize for the lack of dev blog updates. Many of our team members have been busy/away during parts of the last month (I just got back from a much-needed week long vacation, snowboarding in the Rockies). While we would have liked to have 0.6 released by now, please remember that we’re all doing this in our spare time for free, and sometimes we burn out, or simply aren’t able to work on it as much as we’d like.

That being said, we’re back at full force with refreshed minds and ready to hammer this thing out.

I’ve read many comments from many people, whether it be on reddit or discord or PMs, saying that our communication is too infrequent and needs to be improved. While I do not need to apologize for taking a vacation, I take these comments to heart. It was only a year and a half ago when I was in the same position you are in, on the outside looking in, asking the same thing from the devs. It’s why I made that first 0.6 update post and it’s why I have been writing these blog posts. I’ll honor your guys’ request and go into as much detail as possible.

I’ll discuss the progress we’ve made since our last post, what’s remaining to do, and also showcase some cool new stuff we’ve added. And as always, we’ll show you some new gameplay using the new features or new forge maps.

This blog post is two parts. If you don’t care about the technical jargon and just want to see cool stuff, skip to the bottom - there’s some cool new features to see. For the rest of you, sit down. This one’s a long read; you asked for it.

The ‘Dedi Connection Bug’

In our last blog post, I went into detail about the ‘dedi connection bug’. As you recall, this bug has two manifestations:

1. Player A can’t join a server because it conflicts with player B already in the server. The join request is actually rejected.
  2. A player attempts to join a server, but the establishment process never completes, yet the player is able to join the voip server and can hear players in the server. This manifestation has multiple root causes.
One of our team members, unk_1, wrote a log parser to detect occurrences of the dedi bug. We turned on network logging on a few of the 0511 dedicated servers and left them running for a week at a time. After analyzing the logs, we’ve found that manifestation #1 accounts for about ¾ of the connection issues. As I mentioned last post, #1 has been completely fixed already.

A lot of work has gone into trying to fix number 2, and while some occurrences might be out of control for the time being (restricted NAT type for example: remember Xbox 360 NAT type issues?), we have made great progress and have fixed one of its causes. I’ll go into a bit of detail about that here.

MTU and Packet Fragmentation

The MTU (maximum transmission unit) is the size of the largest amount of data that can be sent in a single network transaction. If a packet is too big (larger than MTU), routers will fragment this packet into smaller ones and then the data gets reassembled. This fragmentation can lead to a much higher chance of packet loss. In addition, not all routers behave the same in regards to packet fragmentation, and many do not obey the ‘Don’t Fragment’ flag in the IP protocol header.

Why is this relevant? After lots of digging and research, we found that some of the packets that are exchanged during the establishment process were bigger than the MTU size. The solution? Shrink them down to a valid size so that they don’t get fragmented. After testing this in 0511, we saw the number of manifestation #2 occurrences decrease.

While this is great news, many #2 occurrences still were still present in the logs, and we believe many of them are related to NAT. We will provide a how-to doc when 0.6 releases on how to check/open your NAT type, as well as other useful info to ensure that other players can connect to your server without issue. As for the other #2 connection issues that may (we aren’t even sure if any remain) still exist that are within our control, we’re going to leave them to be fixed them in a later update. Debugging these issues are a slow, tedious, painful process. We can’t have this issue delay us any further, so we’re calling it a day. Note: So far, with the #1 and #2 fixes in, we haven’t had a single dedi bug re-occurrence in our testing sessions, but that doesn’t necessarily mean that there aren’t rare connection issues hiding somewhere that we haven’t been able to replicate.

The Updater

The usual question. We’ve made great progress on the updater, and it is pretty much finished. The updater will be a lightweight standalone exe that will allow you to update to the latest version, and even downgrade to previous versions. The updater will not need to be ran to start the game, nor will it act as a launcher like the 0511 updater does. It’s simply an updater. When a future update comes out, for example 0.7, a message will be displayed on the title screen when you boot up the game, telling you that you need to close the game and update. Open the updater -> click update -> done. There are a couple of very small bugs we’ve found during the testing of it, and those are being fixed.

Enough about the boring stuff, on to the fun stuff.

Misc/Small Bug Fixes since last post:

• Settings - Fix for Alt binds
  • Added forge binding to deselect everything
  • Allow held forge object to be extended unconstrained
  • Fix transparent materials for reforge
  • Fix ‘default’ weapon offset preset doesn’t work in the in-game menu
  • Fix atmosphere toggle on map modifier
  • Fix weather effects not working on certain maps
  • Fix issues with custom fog not working well on certain maps
  • Discord UI - Fix the Ui showing breifly upon starting the game
  • Chat UI - Add warning alert for opening links that may be unsafe
  • Fix crash related to forge kill volumes
  • Fixed exe remaining running in background due to Discord rpc not shutting down
  • Fix duplicate requests for player info (rank, emblem, ect)
  • Jaron’s emblem editor that we showed a preview of in the last post has been added and touched up.
Q: Has anything you’ve previously shown us not going to make it into 0.6?

A: Yes, unfortunately the doors and fans we showcased in the last blog post have too many issues and are not ready for prime time. We want them to be polished before adding it, and doing so right now would be time consuming and would delay release. Keeping the doors and fans as-is in 0.6 would break any maps using them we were to fix/polish them in a later update. For these reasons, we’ve decided to exclude these from 0.6 and add the doors/fans to a future update instead.

Q: Have any new cool features been added since the last post?

A: Absolutely.

But before I go into detail on these, I want to make an important distinction about why things are still able to be added while we haven’t released yet. We often see comments like “Why are you still adding features when you could have released?”, or “just release the game and add stuff to it later”.

That’s not really how development for this game works. This team has quite a few active developers. If two people are working on a must-fix bug, say ‘the dedi-bug’ for example, there are other members of the team who are still available to work on other things. If devs A and B are developing the new updater, that doesn’t mean that devs C-G need to sit and twiddle their thumbs until the updater is finished. Some bugs are very complex, and only certain members of the team have the expertise to fix them. This produces opportunities for us to sneak in extra features without slowing down our 0.6 progress whatsoever. So to be clear, extra features that we’ve been showing off in the last few blog posts have not in any way slowed down or delayed the release of 0.6.

That being said, buckle up, because we’ve got some cool new shit for you.

Glass and Emissive Glass have been added as forge materials. Any reforge object can be given a glass or emissive glass material, and can have customized opacity and color.
tumblr_inline_p52x9cd4fg1vsznd9_500.png

tumblr_inline_p52x9vgpB31vsznd9_500.png

tumblr_inline_p52x4zKPeI1vsznd9_500.png

40 New Materials have been added for forge objects. In addition, Forge Material textures can now be scaled, and the x and y offsets can be adjusted.

Here is a video showing some of these new materials being used in forge, as well as how to adjust the scale and offsets.

tumblr_inline_p52xaiJRye1vsznd9_500.png

tumblr_inline_p52xp73gim1vsznd9_500.png

tumblr_inline_p52z3hfqrp1vsznd9_500.png

Directional lights have been added. You can control the direction, intensity, fov radius, color, and near width of any light. Here is an example picture:

tumblr_inline_p52xqhWYXB1vsznd9_500.png

tumblr_inline_p52xrcBTP81vsznd9_500.png

Directional lights are great because you get much more control with bleeding (the light doesn’t go through the objects). you can set the FOV to something high like 180 and it’s like a point light but it won’t bleed above it through objects. In this example - here’s where the light is:
tumblr_inline_p52xwyoGJI1vsznd9_500.png

With a point light instead of directional light, it would be super bright up here:
tumblr_inline_p52xxjUSX11vsznd9_500.png

Pulse and Flicker functions can also be applied and customized to any light source. You can control the minimum intensity, maximum intensity, as well as the frequency of the pulse or flicker. Here’s a video showing some of these lights being created/altered in forge.

Player size is now a gametype option/trait. Players can be scaled to be tiny, huge, or anywhere in-between. For example, you can create gametypes where the players become huge while in the hill or in the lead, or tiny while holding the ball or flag. A small map like the pit can suddenly turn into a BTB map. The sky is the limit. Players also animate between the two sizes, so they don’t just instantly magically appear large or small when transitioning from one size to another.

A full gameplay video where players are tiny, but become big and slow while inside the hill in a game of KOTH is posted in part 2 of this blog post, but here are a couple of pictures.

tumblr_inline_p52wg8i8Kg1vsznd9_500.png

A huge spartan driving a Warthog:
tumblr_inline_p52wn2U6Jo1vsznd9_500.png

Large Spartans as a hill trait:
tumblr_inline_p52w42M0FS1vsznd9_500.png

Skyboxes can be swapped to/from any map. Yep, you can now choose any skybox you want when creating a forge map. There are options for inheriting the fog that comes with the skybox, or you can override it with your own custom fog.

These skyboxes open an whole new realm of creativity. Take a look at some simple examples of skyboxes being used on different maps.
tumblr_inline_p52v79yFqd1vsznd9_500.png

Guardian Skybox on Narrows
tumblr_inline_p52v7nEDC11vsznd9_500.png

Valhalla skybox on Sandtrap:
tumblr_inline_p52vd4S4VG1vsznd9_500.png

tumblr_inline_p52we1Kq1F1vsznd9_500.png

tumblr_inline_p52xnufiFA1vsznd9_500.png

tumblr_inline_p52z888fDL1vsznd9_500.png

Here is a video showing how to change/alter skyboxes:

Additional Weather Effects have been added. Heavy Snow, Rain, Falling Ash, Slipspace Fallout, and Flood Pollen can now be used as weather effects. While the rain effect is a little underwhelming and needs some work (it doesn’t look very realistic yet), some of the other effects are quite cool. Here’s a gif of the “Slipspace Fallout” effect.
tumblr_inline_p52v2ldMtQ1vsznd9_400.gif

Don’t forget to check out part 2 for some gameplay videos, but for now, let’s get back to business.

Q: Now What?

A: We are at a state where we now consider the game to be ‘Feature Complete’. All of the major bugs that we’ve committed to fixing have been fixed. All of the features that we committed to adding, have been added. No more features will be added. We are going to enter a short, exhaustive, ‘Regression Testing’ cycle where we test every feature that we have added over the past two years. The only commits that will occur between now and release will be fixes for bugs found during the regression testing cycle. The reason this is necessary is because over time, parts of the code have changed, been refactored, moved, ect. We need to ensure that we haven’t broken anything along the way. One of our main devs, unk_1, once said “I can’t overstate how much i just molested the engine over the last 2 weeks. It needs to be tested like a lot.” And that’s what we’ll be doing.

When we’re finished, you’ll know.

Until next time (or until we’re playing right along side you);
Sincerely,

http://blog.eldewrito.com/post/171529519023/eldewrito-dev-update-mar-04-2018-part-1

Part 2 is below as well

Here’s a game on a foggy, snowy standoff. As you can see, the nameplates are not visible through the fog. (Note: We’re making a fix so that nameplates can still be shown for your own teammates)

http://blog.eldewrito.com/post/171529501143/eldewrito-dev-update-mar-04-2018-part-2

The rest of their blogs are really interesting and I'd recommend for anyone who wants to see how far they've progressed to read it. If this isn't allowed to be talked about I can completely understand, if it can then I feel like people need to see how far this mod has come.

Has anyone else been keeping up with this mod, and have you played it before?

Last edited:

JimboJones

I actually downloaded this last week just to try it out, seems to play well, only server there I could join was full of way more experienced players though 😣
Need to get the controlles set back to bumper jumper too.

Last edited:
What’s the community like on this? Didn’t realize this still existed, and been waiting for that fan created halo game coming out, this should hold me till then

Too bad I have zero experience with FPS on PC so gonna be some aim learnings curve

The videos of standoff and valhalla make me want to play halo right now lol. Miss the simplicity in the first 3 games. Its gotten bit out of control with all the new abilities. Too bad my pc is not working right now. Need some new parts.

Blam

What’s the community like on this? Didn’t realize this still existed, and been waiting for that fan created halo game coming out, this should hold me till then

Too bad I have zero experience with FPS on PC so gonna be some aim learnings curve

There's a good community still there playing every day. check the discord it's /halo. This is as halo as you're going to get, and you can use a gamepad it has aim assist so it's not to unfair.

The videos of standoff and valhalla make me want to play halo right now lol. Miss the simplicity in the first 3 games. Its gotten bit out of control with all the new abilities. Too bad my pc is not working right now. Need some new parts.

yeah it's really fun the update looks massive honestly, and this is probably the best support I've ever seen a fan mod give with features added to a game.

JimboJones

Played a few more matches. Played one on Valhalla too but the audio corrupt in the recording.

Took me back to 2007!

Blam

Played a few more matches. Played one on Valhalla too but the audio corrupt in the recording.
Took me back to 2007!

I'd say to make it look even better get the FMM (the ElDewrito Mod Manager) and get those halo 3 mods. can get the armors, and guns so it's really like you're back in the golden days of h3.

JimboJones

I'd say to make it look even better get the FMM (the ElDewrito Mod Manager) and get those halo 3 mods. can get the armors, and guns so it's really like you're back in the golden days of h3.

Cool didn't know about the mod manager, will give a look see.

StuOhQ

Neo Member
Looks pretty awesome. Haven't played Halo Online, but used to enjoy CE with some mods quite a bit.

Fbh

Just downloaded this..... and Holy shit it's Halo 3 on PC. I've missed this game so much!!!.
It's still a bit of a pain to get into a game but once you are in it feels pretty stable.

Kinda disappointed how badly it runs on my Laptop though. It's not a beast but with a 1050ti and 16gb of ram I was hoping to get solid 60fps but as soon as there is some action the framerate is all over the place.
Might seem like a noob question but is there some sort of settings menu?

Fbh

Yeah the content is great and it plays great with mouse and keyboard.

I think I'm going to wait few days/weeks and try to see if the server browser gets any better. As fun as it is to go back to H3, right now it's not worth it to me since out of the hour I spent with the game I was only actually playing for like 10 minutes and spent the rest of the time waiting for the server browser to react or just resetting the game when nothing seemed to work.

I_D

The audio is messed up to the point of being a pretty significant distraction, but the gameplay is perfect. Takes me back to high school and college days.

Blam

Yeah the content is great and it plays great with mouse and keyboard.

I think I'm going to wait few days/weeks and try to see if the server browser gets any better. As fun as it is to go back to H3, right now it's not worth it to me since out of the hour I spent with the game I was only actually playing for like 10 minutes and spent the rest of the time waiting for the server browser to react or just resetting the game when nothing seemed to work.

use the discords/game invite channel.

Grinchy

Banned
This kinda thing happens all the time - random people know a company's property better than the company does. They create something people want more than what the company is providing, and instead of properly taking that message, the company just sends their lawyers out and continues along the product path no one wants.

This kinda thing happens all the time - random people know a company's property better than the company does. They create something people want more than what the company is providing, and instead of properly taking that message, the company just sends their lawyers out and continues along the product path no one wants.
They use assets from the Russian halo game without Microsoft's approval unlike Installation 01 where the assets were made from the ground up. Judging by Phil Spencer's twitter, they might work out something together.

Last edited:
And just like that....it's done.

https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/news/eldewrito-community-content

Too bad, but I guess I understand the shutdown with the legalities involved. Now MS, just acquire that team of developers and get them working on the franchise proper.

I'm pretty sure they aren't shutting the game down, they are just not allowed to add to it (unless I misunderstood it). Too bad because the game needs more maps but its in a pretty good state rn

Played it yesterday for a bit, only issue is the aiming felt really weird with the Xbox controller, lowered sensitivity to 2 and it still felt really weird (slow in some ways and too fast in others)

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
It is still not shut down I just came out of a session, this is the ultimate multiplayer Halo experience. With the success,k maybe they finally consider bringing MCC on PC

Im telling you - halo needs to be split into two games. One game that keeps with the traditions of the first 3 halo games and one that allows 343 to pursue their vision for halo. Keep the traditional halo focused on the master chief and the 343 vision one can focus on other stories about spartans in the halo universe. It is clear there is a massive split in what halo fans want. This solves the dilemma, but have the games alternate releases on 4 year dev cycles.

xviper

watched few videos, it's pretty much an unfinished Halo 3, i'm glad it's shut down, Halo only belongs to Xbox, if Microsoft released Halo 6 to PC then that would be the end of Xbox one

Calibos

First, they didn’t create a new Halo. They remastered assets from Halo Online, which from what I understand included a bunch of stuff from Halo 3.

Second, they sent there lawyers out because it infringes on their IP. Which they legally own. No boogeyman or anything, just legal minded protection.

Third, they also have expressed interest in working with the team that did the work. This includes Phil Spencer who definitely holds weight at MS.

It’s a bummer overall for people who are craving Halo on PC. Installation 01 is where those people should look now though. That is something created from the ground up. Also, hopefully PC players get MCC after the updates and that comes with cross play....

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
watched few videos, it's pretty much an unfinished Halo 3, i'm glad it's shut down, Halo only belongs to Xbox, if Microsoft released Halo 6 to PC then that would be the end of Xbox one

I will never understand why some "gamers" want to deprive others of good games... And as long as there are console players and games you can't find on Playstation, Xbox has nothing to worry about. The plug and play principe is what really count IMO. And I'm saying this as a Xbox One owner.

wipeout364

Sounds like a difficult situation on both sides. Phil gave appropriate reasons for the action Microsoft took but it must still be heartbreaking for the ELDewrito guys.

I think people at this point who work on this kind of stuff must have some mental preparation for this. I mean this sort of action seems to happen every few months to some small group of modders. I almost wonder why people put the time in nowadays.

bilderberg

Sounds like a difficult situation on both sides. Phil gave appropriate reasons for the action Microsoft took but it must still be heartbreaking for the ELDewrito guys.

I think people at this point who work on this kind of stuff must have some mental preparation for this. I mean this sort of action seems to happen every few months to some small group of modders. I almost wonder why people put the time in nowadays.

jobs. These people wont have any trouble getting picked up by microsoft or 343

Codes 208

It be cool of them to work with them in the future but im not holding my breath as this smells like damage control.

Calibos

It be cool of them to work with them in the future but im not holding my breath as this smells like damage control.

I suppose...I am still trying to figure out which side of the fence I fall on in this instance. On the one hand I understand that they are protecting their IP because they all answer to stakeholders and investors. On the other, it's a shame that it happened because this was bringing some very positive buzz back to Halo.

If MS is very smart, which I question often, they will partner with them on the MCC PC port...if it exists. If it doesn't, maybe MS just grabs them up and puts them to work on "Halo Online" for PC.

Codes 208

Think of it this way: this game isnt a ground up halo fan made game like installation 01. Its a multiplayer focused mod of halo online using (technically) stolen assets. If this was a made feom the ground up using entirely new assets, id be more pissed than i am. So im in the "it sucks, but i cant be mad at ms this time" boat.

Fbh

Well let's see how this turns out. I guess the team was expecting MS to intervene.

Anyway, hopefully it shows MS the interest for Halo on PC. My dream MS announcement for E3 would be the masterchief collection for PC. I'd even use the shitty Windows 10 Store for it

Halo 1 and 2 were on PC too. The windows and Mac versions of Halo 1 were way better since they supported online multiplayer

Also, is Halo still that popular? When literally every other future Xbox Exclusive is coming to PC, is Halo the one key franchise keeping the Xbox One relevant? I doubt it.
I think H6 will come to PC and it probably won't affect Xbox One Sales

Last edited:

xviper

Well let's see how this turns out. I guess the team was expecting MS to intervene.

Anyway, hopefully it shows MS the interest for Halo on PC. My dream MS announcement for E3 would be the masterchief collection for PC. I'd even use the shitty Windows 10 Store for it

Halo 1 and 2 were on PC too. The windows and Mac versions of Halo 1 were way better since they supported online multiplayer

Also, is Halo still that popular? When literally every other future Xbox Exclusive is coming to PC, is Halo the one key franchise keeping the Xbox One relevant? I doubt it.
since Xbox doesn't have any decent exclusives anymore, i'm pretty sure Halo is still the key franchise and pretty sure it's the best selling exclusive on xbox one, so yeah, releasing H6 on PC will affect Xbox one sales

Forza is second to Halo, it's big but not as big

Blam

Think of it this way: this game isnt a ground up halo fan made game like installation 01. Its a multiplayer focused mod of halo online using (technically) stolen assets. If this was a made feom the ground up using entirely new assets, id be more pissed than i am. So im in the "it sucks, but i cant be mad at ms this time" boat.
But also consider how much work these guys put into Reverse Engineering the game. Countless amounts of hours would have to have been poored into the exe just to read and figure it all out. It's not all documented properly you know.

Codes 208

But also consider how much work these guys put into Reverse Engineering the game. Countless amounts of hours would have to have been poored into the exe just to read and figure it all out. It's not all documented properly you know.
Context is imortant here. They worked many hours sure. But Its also a lot of copying and pasting of other people's honest work. Without permission. Which is like the very definition of plagarism.

If they had made original models like the guys making installation 01 im certain this 2ouldve been handled in a better light

downloaded and played for about an hour. Its...something.

Its great because Halo 3 is great...but its also a game thats over 10 years old and you can feel it, P2P matchmaking is a pain because I constantly ran into issues where its clear I shot first or that I was around a wall and would still die (very apparent in SWAT) also imo Halo 5 has probably the best MP of the series and missing all the movement options was kinda annoying. I felt like a damn turtle. (Also H3 pistol continues to be the worst pistol in the series)

Will keep it installed and may play from time to time in the weekends but wont substitute Halo 5, Halo MCC when the insider fixes come and Halo 6 which if anything like 5 MP is going to be awesome.

Blam

Context is imortant here. They worked many hours sure. But Its also a lot of copying and pasting of other people's honest work. Without permission. Which is like the very definition of plagarism.

If they had made original models like the guys making installation 01 im certain this 2ouldve been handled in a better light

Yeah but they still spent countless hours REing the game. I don't see how any of it is C+P. It's a mod for a game. The mod is the piece of work here. Not the game.

Never doubt Halo. Like ever.
jrE3uGA.png

Last edited:
Top Bottom