• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo Online: Eldewrito 'Feature Complete' Update

Fbh

Never doubt Halo. Like ever.
jrE3uGA.png

haha I'm not saying it's bad or anything.
Just that it doesn't seem to have the pull it used to have like 10 years ago.

I just wonder for how many people it's a console seller now that every other Xbox exclusive is releasing on PC.

Like, say you have a PC capable of running all of these MS games (Gears 4, Forza, etc). Are you still going to go pick up an Xbox One just because of Halo?

I just wonder for how many people it's a console seller now that every other Xbox exclusive is releasing on PC.

Like, say you have a PC capable of running all of these MS games (Gears 4, Forza, etc). Are you still going to go pick up an Xbox One just because of Halo?

Almost like most people don't have PC's capable of running these games, or simply don't want to game on a PC.

Ha I know what you're saying and can't really disagree when it's obvious that halo's popularity isn't what it used to be. There are multiple reasons i see for Halo's lack of popularity these days.

• The xbox one itself was and still is a huge turn off to a lot of people, so that doesn't help.
  • You have 343's departure from classic halo (granted Bungie started that with Reach).
  • I'd argue Halo 5 is a good game - the multiplayer is the best it has been since 3 - but the learning curve is steep, like really steep, and so the game is completely unfriendly to new players. New people trying halo are more likely to quit and never come back.
  • You have the revamped ranking system which plays games with your head. You get slotted into different divisions based on your first 10 matches at the start of each month, but who you get matched up against can be somewhat random, and how you perform in those matches can be heavily influenced by quitters on your own team, whether or not you go in with a team of friends, and just plain bad luck. Which personally I think is dumb. And that's just a cosmetic placement. Once you're in a division, the game tries to pair you with players of your own skill/rank, but you don't know that rank, because the game won't show it to you, and you can't see the rank of who you're being matched up with/against. So there is no trust in the ability of the game to get anything right. It needs to be 100 times more transparent and simpler a la halo 2 and 3. I like that my division rank resets every month, but i think it should be my hidden skill rank that resets each month if anything.
  • Then there is the fact that the maps are just not as compelling as they used to be in previous halo games. Previous halo matchmaking had a large number of high quality maps. In Halo 5 there is a much smaller number. In fact, when you watch competitive halo 5, it's the same maps since release. Which would be fine if there were other newer maps to refresh things up. But most of the new maps are just bad and I'll leave it at that.
  • 343 totally passed on BTB. Maps are simply forge maps, that aren't even necessarily good forge maps. 343 won't listen to the request of people still playing the game to have pistol/ar starts in BTB. Which should be a thing to reduce cross map ping fests. Halo 6 needs to continue on with Warzone, but bring a renewed focus to BTB.
  • Abilities... I like Halo 5. I think it can be really fun to play, but it still has far too many abilities to manage. To be competitive you need a controller with paddles, which is not most halo players. And if you go in without paddles, the sweaty matches will turn into a miserable form of repeated punishment. I would love to see sprint done away with. I know halo players are completely split on this subject. But to simplify things halo needs to get rid of something. Maybe take out thrusters. I don't know.
  • Lastly, the campaign underwhelmed for a lot of people while also having no split-screen coop. That needs to be fixed and the campaign in halo 6 needs to redeem the series.
But I think things are going to change with Halo 6, and there are plenty of reasons to be hopeful. Maybe I'm the eternal optimist lol. 343 has a great opportunity to turn the ship around.

Last edited:

faraany3k

Banned
I think that this team should start a kickstarter and try building a similar experience of thier own. Relying on MS is just stupid.

StuOhQ

Neo Member
Just downloaded this..... and Holy shit it's Halo 3 on PC. I've missed this game so much!!!.
It's still a bit of a pain to get into a game but once you are in it feels pretty stable.

Halo 3 on PC is something I've wanted for a long, long time...

Dimorphic

watched few videos, it's pretty much an unfinished Halo 3, i'm glad it's shut down, Halo only belongs to Xbox, if Microsoft released Halo 6 to PC then that would be the end of Xbox one

Halo 6 will almost certainly be part of the Xbox “Play Anywhere” program and therefore be released on PC.

Top Bottom