• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 21| Battle is the Great Redeemer | LIVE. DIE. RESPAWN.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Akai__

Heard it was glitched and that achievements are still enabled with the Scarab Gun. Achievement Hunters were doing their achievements were various 0.00 Skulls on.

I don't know which achievements you mean, but scoring and time don't work. I tested those.

All other achievements like easter eggs, skulls and toys are working with the Scarab Gun Skull, though.

Ramirez

Back then yeah, i could see that in 2001.

It's blatently obvious that Halo 5 is conforming to the rest of todays shooters.

It's evolving, it has to. To expect them to push out Halo 2 again is not logical.

The ADS they've added is a nice balance for both new and old players. Shields not recharging while sprinting is a nice trade off. The kill times are still Halo, so even though they're pushing in a new direction, they're still not just copying other games out right.

It could all suck ass, but 5 looks better than 4 at least. I'm gonna give it a fair chance and go from there. And like I said, MCC is always there if it turns out not to my liking.

uwdanman

Neo Member
Video doesn't show up, logged into Xbox.com and everything..

Its not working for me now either. Was working before. Showed a black screen for the first 15-18 seconds then all of a sudden it was the background Halo 1 ring from the UI menu. There were no on screen options or words, just the background. I didn't listen to music so I can't comment on background music playing.

I don't know which achievements you mean, but scoring and time don't work. I tested those.

All other achievements like easter eggs, skulls and toys are working with the Scarab Gun Skull, though.

Gonna guess that Legendary campaign and level completion skulls are turned off as well.

FyreWulff

Its not working for me now either. Was working before. Showed a black screen for the first 15-18 seconds then all of a sudden it was the background Halo 1 ring from the UI menu. There were no on screen options or words, just the background. I didn't listen to music so I can't comment on background music playing.

That's pretty interesting/weird. I think I saw someone mention in the MCC thread they ended up in the Halo 3 UI once.

Makes me wonder if they just load up each game's base environment simultaneously then switch to whichever one is called to load the data in.

If I had designed it I probably would have made it so campaign for each game was the original menu, and only multiplayer was the unified UI. Each game's "multiplayer" option would just jump to the overshell.

Mix

So, rewatching the Breakout gameplay, it seems to me that the ODST gametype we tested earlier is essentially breakout from Halo 5.

jem0208

I can actually see ADS for the precision weapons being used as a balancing tool. Everyone complained about how much of a beast the DMR is at long range. The reduced visibility when scoping will help make it less dominating at long range. Couple that with increased speed/mobility and reduced aim assist and you have a weapon which is still very powerful at range, but only if you are skilled enough to use it.

So, rewatching the Breakout gameplay, it seems to me that the ODST gametype we tested earlier is essentially breakout from Halo 5.
I was thinking that the entire time we were playing it.

It would be interesting to make the ODST gamemode in 4 and make i so everyone had thruster packs. Would give a reasonable indication of what 5 might play like...

willow ve

It's evolving, it has to. To expect them to push out Halo 2 again is not logical.

The ADS they've added is a nice balance for both new and old players. Shields not recharging while sprinting is a nice trade off. The kill times are still Halo, so even though they're pushing in a new direction, they're still not just copying other games out right.

It could all suck ass, but 5 looks better than 4 at least. I'm gonna give it a fair chance and go from there. And like I said, MCC is always there if it turns out not to my liking.

Evolving in small steps is not the same as becoming a new species.

In my opinion ADS is a huge macro level change to the game. From default controls, to how weapons behave, to overall lore of how a Spartan HUD functions, to completely overwriting the six games that have never had ADS available.

No one has ever presented a truly logical argument as to why this visual mechanic needs to suddenly be included into the base game. It appears on the surface to be a 100% rip from COD and other modern shooters (which seems to all but be confirmed by the default control scheme mapping zoom to the left trigger - a place where grenade toss has lived throughout Halo).

Sidenote : has anyone seen gameplay where the Sniper has a variable zoom? The only time I can recall seeing sniper it only had one zoom. Also, is ADS click to activate or hold to activate? If it's hold to activate (like every other shooter currently popular) and you're shot and are descoped will it automatically snap back to ADS if you keep holding the left trigger?

TTUVAPOR

Banned

So then why can CSGO stay fundamentally the same?

Is it a console thing or what?

I just think its not creative people holding the Halo horse reins. Some dudes in suits are maki g these decisions.

GrizzNKev

Banned
I can actually see ADS for the precision weapons being used as a balancing tool. Everyone complained about how much of a beast the DMR is at long range. The reduced visibility when scoping will help make it less dominating at long range. Couple that with increased speed/mobility and reduced aim assist and you have a weapon which is still very powerful at range, but only if you are skilled enough to use it.

I was thinking that the entire time we were playing it.

It would be interesting to make the ODST gamemode in 4 and make i so everyone had thruster packs. Would give a reasonable indication of what 5 might play like...

Or, they could have not cluttered the sandbox and left out the DMR since it and the BR shouldn't really coexist and didn't until Halo 4.

jem0208

Gonna do a new test soon on a custom map

Ohh, I'm in if you're playing at a time when I'll still be awake! What time were you thinking?

Or, they could have not cluttered the sandbox and left out the DMR since it and the BR shouldn't really coexist and didn't until Halo 4.

I like the DMR though, I also like the BR. And they can coexist and have different roles. The DMR is clearly stronger at range and the BR is far more effective at close range. I don't see the problem with multiple utility weapons. Just having a BR gets really boring, it also allows people to choose their role in the team more effectively, instead of being tied to a single weapon and being forced to engage at the same range as everyone else all the time.

Sephzilla

I'm also reserving my final judgement until the beta, but this doesn't look like evolving.

The changes between Halo CE, 2, and 3 are evolving. This is a pretty large shake up to what makes Halo what it is.

Gonna do a new test soon on a custom map

GT - Sephzilla

I'd like in on this in a few hours if possible

Ramirez

Evolving in small steps is not the same as becoming a new species.

In my opinion ADS is a huge macro level change to the game. From default controls, to how weapons behave, to overall lore of how a Spartan HUD functions, to completely overwriting the six games that have never had ADS available.

No one has ever presented a truly logical argument as to why this visual mechanic needs to suddenly be included into the base game. It appears on the surface to be a 100% rip from COD and other modern shooters (which seems to all but be confirmed by the default control scheme mapping zoom to the left trigger - a place where grenade toss has lived throughout Halo).

Sidenote : has anyone seen gameplay where the Sniper has a variable zoom? The only time I can recall seeing sniper it only had one zoom. Also, is ADS click to activate or hold to activate? If it's hold to activate (like every other shooter currently popular) and you're shot and are descoped will it automatically snap back to ADS if you keep holding the left trigger?

It's logical because the majority of kids they're selling the game to now expect it. Play MCC with a first timer, you're gonna hear "where's sprint/ADS/Left trigger to zoom".

So then why can CSGO stay fundamentally the same?

Is it a console thing or what?

I just think its not creative people holding the Halo horse reins. Some dudes in suits are maki g these decisions.

Of course it's a console thing.

Impala26

It's really good. I haven't gotten to play on the map that was apparently made for it, but the raw gametype was a hell of a lot of fun. We did 2v2 and it was super stressful but super satisfying.

Mix, do we want to have like a "Dedicated Customs" game night during the week at all?

I'm really jealous about you getting to play that because that gametype sounds RIGHT up my alley (not an oblique Turf reference I swear, lol). I'd love to experiment with some derpy games if people can tolerate some trial and error.

willow ve

It's logical because the majority of kids they're selling the game to now expect it. Play MCC with a first timer, you're gonna hear "where's sprint/ADS/Left trigger to zoom"..

Chicken or egg debate.

Are they selling it mostly to the COD kids because they failed to evolve quickly enough or because they watered down what Halo was starting with Reach and thus drove away a large portion of dedicated Halo fans? (subtitle Reach:The Fall of Halo).

Can't believe I'm saying this but I think Halo 5 looks really cool.

The single shot/burst weapons look really deadly, which, coupled with reduced auto-aim, should make for some really interesting battles.

I've got an open mind about the other stuff for now, although I still don't get why you need sprint with all the other new movement abilities (look how big they had to make Midship to account for it!) But I'm genuinely very excited.

At least are considering the map design around the sprint mechanics. It being spread out seems to help quite a bit.

Ramirez

I'm also reserving my final judgement until the beta, but this doesn't look like evolving.

The changes between Halo CE, 2, and 3 are evolving. This is a pretty large shake up to what makes Halo what it is.

Yea, and a lot of people ripped Halo 3 for being Halo 2.5, they're damned either way really.

Sephzilla

Yea, and a lot of people ripped Halo 3 for being Halo 2.5, they're damned either way really.

I have a feeling it wasn't "a lot" of people.

It's logical because the majority of kids they're selling the game to now expect it. Play MCC with a first timer, you're gonna hear "where's sprint/ADS/Left trigger to zoom".

This is otherwise known as "chasing the Call of Duty audience" depending on who you talk to. Chasing the Call of Duty audience almost never works.

Impala26

God, I forgot about this until you brought it up again.

Pretty sure if they made Halo 5 just a more robust H2A, say add sprint or something there would STILL be plenty of salt to go around the internet.

Fuchsdh

Of course it's a console thing.

The control scheme is actually what potentially bothers me the most about ADS. I've never hated CoD because of ADS visually, it's been the "I see you I kill you" pace of gameplay and the fact that in order to be accurate you had to run around with tunnel-vision. While the sights being on your screen might be an annoying eyesore, it's not really what bothers me so much as hipfire being disadvantaged, scope movement being hurt, and having a default change for the scope that goes against years of Halo controls. I won't know about those until I play.

Ramirez

I have a feeling it wasn't "a lot" of people.

This is otherwise known as "chasing the Call of Duty audience" depending on who you talk to. Chasing the Call of Duty audience almost never works.

You act as if CoD is the only ADS game, even Bungie uses ADS now, it's just where the industry is right now.

I see you arguing against all of this, but you consider BRs on Warlock shit. That opinion is shit to me, so surely you must see how hard their job is to please every single person.

woodland

God, I forgot about this until you brought it up again.

Pretty sure if they made Halo 5 just a more robust H2A, say add sprint or something there would STILL be plenty of salt to go around the internet.

I doubt the salt of making H5 similar to H2A would be as big as the salt from making H4 a shit game. Also, adding sprint still deserves a fuckton of salt.

daedalius

The control scheme is actually what potentially bothers me the most about ADS. I've never hated CoD because of ADS visually, it's been the "I see you I kill you" pace of gameplay and the fact that in order to be accurate you had to run around with tunnel-vision. While the sights being on your screen might be an annoying eyesore, it's not really what bothers me so much as hipfire being disadvantaged, scope movement being hurt, and having a default change for the scope that goes against years of Halo controls. I won't know about those until I play.

Just play bumper jumper! Omlet already said that is classic controls; boost on X, sprint on A, etc etc

Sephzilla

You act as if CoD is the only ADS game, even Bungie uses ADS now, it's just where the industry is right now.

I see you arguing against all of this, but you consider BRs on Warlock shit. That opinion is shit to me, so surely you must see how hard their job is to please every single person.

Destiny also wasn't an established franchise that had a certain type of gameplay firmly set. That's apples and oranges in a very obvious way. Also lets not deny that COD was the one that really made ADS massively popular.

Ramirez

Greenskull has said Recon works fine with 5, so I'm not really worried about that. De scoping pretty much assures someone holding the L trigger won't be at any kind of real advantage.

ADS in 5 really seems to be nothing more than a visual illusion to please people who otherwise wouldn't give Halo a chance.

Seph, we could argue til we're blue in the face, ADS is now in Halo, and even with a beta, it's extremely unlikely it gets cut. Time to make your peace, or just stick with MCC.

Impala26

I doubt the salt of making H5 similar to H2A would be as big as the salt from making H4 a shit game. Also, adding sprint still deserves a fuckton of salt.

Really though? Like Ramirez has been saying, it's kind of an industry standard now. Not saying that alone justifies it, but having it in Halo is not single-handedly 343 "ripping off CoD".

I explicitly remember playing Halo PC back in 2003 and occasionally people bringing up the idea of having sprint in a Halo game and how it would improve (at least big) map flow.

#oldnews

Sephzilla

Seph, we could argue til we're blue in the face, ADS is now in Halo, and even with a beta, it's extremely unlikely it gets cut. Time to make your peace, or just stick with MCC.

Then I hope 343 enjoys justifying another massive player dropoff 2 months after launch.

IHaveIce

Banned
http://youtu.be/B39ffXd0vvA

Creative director gets asked at the end which games in the genre does halo 5 draw its inspiration from for the new movement mechanics abd gameplay mechanics, and he answers "umm actually we look at the spartans for inspiration, we dont look at anything else, we look at halo."

Hahahahahaha what a crock of shit. Its obvious he had that as a planned response for that type of question.

Way to cover your ass.

Thrusting was in Halo, Sprinting was in Halo.

Sliding and ledge grabbing are not THE prominent features of any game I can think of.

Keep reaching.

Halo 5 looks except for the sprint really good, so far I haven o problems with smart scope.

Magni

Bungie isn't working on Halo, though, they're working on a whole new IP. If Halo 5 were a brand new IP, I wouldn't be so disappointed, heck I would probably like it.

What I (and many others) lament is the death of traditional Halo. The MCC somewhat helps in that we can finally play traditional Halo on Xbox One.

Ideally (for me), moving forward one team at 343 continues to support the MCC with new Halo 1/2/3 maps while the other works on new games. But if the MCC gets no support down the road, then I'd rather new Halo games stay as traditional as possible. If I want ADS/sprint/whatever the new gimmick is, I'll play some other game, not Halo.

Sephzilla

Bungie isn't working on Halo, though, they're working on a whole new IP. If Halo 5 were a brand new IP, I wouldn't be so disappointed, heck I would probably like it.

This. Fucking this.

If this was a new IP and it sported these features, I'd probably be very excited about it. But these aren't things I want in Halo.

So what are you going to do if there isn't a massive dropoff and it turns out that people actually really like Halo 5?

I'll have the biggest crow on my plate and I'll happily eat it.

But 343 probably wont put a population counter in Halo 5 so we'll never really know I guess.

Ramirez

But you guys act shocked that Halo isn't traditonal anymore, it's been happening since Reach. The writing has been on the wall. The other problem is what's traditional Halo to you, isn't to traditional to the guy who started with Reach.

I could play MCC until the end of time, I just need it to work.

Then I hope 343 enjoys justifying another massive player dropoff 2 months after launch.

No one knows if this is true.

Booshka

All this talk about smart scope/ADS etc. etc. and this is what the ADS argument boils down to basically. You're certainly right about it, but a few days ago I had a small epiphany regarding it and haven't really seen it touched on.

In Reach, the DMR was always complained about for having reticle bloom. When Halo 4 rolled around the DMR no longer had bloom and suddenly it was everyone's go-to weapon and could pretty much stomp other people at all but extreme close range. People cried about the DMR needing a nerf because of this too. Speaking hypothetically, what if the ADS thing for scoped weapons is yet another "balancing act" move explicitly BECAUSE it takes up valuable screen real estate and slightly hinders close-by awareness?

Just a theory of course. It could simply be to pull in players of other FPS games too. :p
I've said this before, it's a terrible balancing mechanic. Great thing about Halo is the Spartan's situational and combat awareness, and ability to deal with practically any combat encounter. I'd rather the zoom be toned down, 2x instead of 3x, and don't make it so stupid easy to shoot, like Halo 4 was. If the netcode is good enough, then weapons should be projectiles, and not hitscan, so some leading at range is necessary. Zoomed aim assist could be toned down as well, all of these are preferable to nerfing your ability to see the combat landscape, and losing the identity of Spartan's.

Despite 343 trying to sell me on the lore of it, putting ironsights on my screen, and a Sprint mechanic that takes the gun out of my hand if I want to move at any speed above power walk, both of those are just bad Halo.

woodland

Really though? Like Ramirez has been saying, it's kind of an industry standard now. Not saying that alone justifies it, but having it in Halo is not single-handedly 343 "ripping off CoD".

I explicitly remember playing Halo PC back in 2003 and occasionally people bringing up the idea of having sprint in a Halo game and how it would improve (at least big) map flow.

#oldnews

I mean anecdotally I've never seen more salt over a Halo game than in the past couple years from Reach and Halo 4 fundamentally changing the gameplay. The only reason Reach and 4 sold well has been discussed many times before - they sold off the reputation of past games.

At this point? People WOULD get salty about Halo 5 going back to H2A style gameplay. I don't think it would be a ton, since most people are either ambivalent about sprint or dislike it. At the same time, anyone that's been attracted to Halo because of the new changes are gaming enthusiasts and the hardcore - not the numerous casual consumers that don't know about the changes yet. So at this point, you'd MAYBE anger a few of the CoD/BF/TF gameplay martyrs that browsed NeoGaf/other gaming sites and scanned for the new Halo information, but the vast majority of consumers don't know about the changes.

Those same consumers are the ones who bought Halo 4 (that 343 changed it to appeal to) and left shortly after to play the next new installment of CoD/BF/TF. So in short, no, I don't think it being an industry standard is a good reason. I think the amount of salt that people will spew over Halo going back is much less than Halo staying new with ADS/Sprint/whatever thing 343 tries to force down our throats next. Oh well though. 343's never gonna change anything besides small # tweaks, so I'm gonna stick with MCC.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom