• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 23| Thruster is Love, Thruster is Life

Karl2177

You're missing what Halo is at its core. Halo has ALWAYS been about:
1. Timing power weapons, and it's better if they're on static timers
2. Timing powerups, again, better if on static timers
3. Controlling the map

There hasn't been a proper utility weapon since Halo CE and I see that they have a much better weapon balance in Halo 5, but you're missing my point when I say Halo 5 is missing the very heart of what Halo is.

343 can keep Halo 5 the way it is gameplay-wise in regards to mechanics, etc.

What they could easily implement is:
1. Floating weapons on the map with brightskins, e.g., like Quake, so they're easy to identify on the battlefield
2. Static timed power weapons
3. Static timed powerups, and put at least two of them on each map (depending on the size of the map)
4. Place counter power weapons on each map, e.g., rockets/snipes, sword/shotty, etc.

There is simply not enough going on in Halo 5 right now. If 343 are saying they didn't include powerups and more power weapons intentionally...then fine, but show me what the final is actually going to look like.

If Empire in the Beta had a rocket and snipe that dropped on a static timer, as well as an OS and camo nearby each power weapon...then we could realistically see how Halo 5 truly is.

If this is suppose to be a beta to give feedback on the core of the game...having features and items absent from the beta negates the entire purpose to begin with.

Game is boring as hell right now. Nothing to control on the maps. It's just sprinting around slaying...with precision weapons...that's boring and it's not Halo. If all we wanna do it have a Halo game to test who's got better aim and better setups...well congrats, you've got that.

You don't understand Halo.

Tawpgun

I agree, the only changes which need to be made are putting ground pound on hold RB.

Nope. Then you can't melee in midair. I hate when things behave differently when "holding" the button and "clicking" it. Too many accidentall assassinations in Reach.

Ever since I read Fall of Reach, I wanted that book as a game outside the normal Halo formula. Something a lot more like Rainbow Six - tactical and squad based where you die really easily if you screw up. Something that really recreates the intensity in that book. Spartans are strong, but a single Elite is still very much a threat that will quickly punish a Spartan who makes a mistake, and even on Legendary you never get that sensation in the normal Halo games.

Make the first portion of the game Spartan on human combat with the Spartans fulfilling their originally intended roles as space SEALS, then suddenly unveil the Covenant and transition to that for the second portion. Stick to the intensity of the books throughout with human soldiers being taken down by single needler shots, combat medics using biofoam, the feelings of hopelessness and panic as the UNSC faces a hostile alien force for the first time, etc.

They could even have a level or two in the beginning or as a flashback of the simulation training games the Spartans played as children to show the history of the Spartans and the Chief. Something which is hugely important in the expanded lore but not explored at all in the games for some reason (maybe it's buried in a terminal, who knows).

Done right, it could be amazing. Unfortunately, I think Halo: Reach killed any chance of it ever happening.

It would be nice just in terms of thematics not to have humanity be this super dominant juggernaut. One the most interesting parts of the Halo universe use to be that humanity was losing.

Now I don't even know what the stakes are. Is the Ur-quasi-ersatz-semi-Didact going to roboticize people ala Sonic? Is that what the stakes are? Or are we basically following Locke following Chief trying to restore a good save of his computer girlfriend?

Madness

If it wasn't designed with Recon in mind, then why am I doing perfectly fine with it, Madness? You act like Recon is a handicap, it isn't. Add in classic zoom, and I pretty much guarantee nothing would change for you guys that seem to think it's the cure to all your problems.

Probably for the same reason people are fine playing with it on Halo 4, Bumper Jumper etc. Recon isn't a handicap, but you can definitely tell the game wasn't designed with that control scheme in mind.

Add in classic zoom, and I can guarantee you I'd personally enjoy the game a million times more, so how can you say it won't cure my problems when ADS is a problem for me? I'm not content playing with it. And yet, it'll now be the standard in every Halo going forward. How would it impact you, if you are fine with ADS, but I could toggle it off and use classic? That's all I'm asking. If ADS plays the same, there should be no reason I can't have classic zoom, especially for Recon controls.

Honestly, ADS on right stick is somewhat fatiguing and difficult when I'm in the middle of combat.

As much as I hate saying it, this game needs a grenade/right stick swap option for Bumper Jumper.

Impala26

Yeah - it really forces you to use the new default controls as well. With the ADS on the left trigger you automatically zoom back in after being knocked out of scope. If you try to use traditional Halo controls (click to zoom) you have to re click to activate ADS each time your knocked out of scope.

It's a huge disadvantage to play with standard controls now as ADS is necessary (especially on automatics) due to the increased accuracy / tighter spread and the weighting of head shot damage with the automatics.

If I could remove one "feature" of the game it would be ADS. Followed by Clamber. Followed by Sprint.

Oh hell, I did NOT know this. No wonder I'm having such a rough time in Breakout. I more often get the jump on enemies than vice versa, but they still often win in an auto v auto fight. Probably helps folks in longer range BR duels as well.

They gotta change this, that's a straight up advantage to Default controls over others like Recon where you're jamming on the right stick.

Oh hell, I did NOT know this. No wonder I'm having such a rough time in Breakout. I more often get the jump on enemies than vice versa, but they still often win in an auto v auto fight. Probably helps folks in longer range BR duels as well.

They gotta change this, that's a straight up advantage to Default controls over others like Recon where you're jamming on the right stick.

Yeah, it's horrible.
The only major problem halo 5 still has is sprint. Aside from that the game is fantastic.

Automatic starts in competitive modes and "broken" legacy controls (see willow ve's post) are major problems in my opinion.

Yeah, it's horrible.

Automatic starts in competitive modes and "broken" legacy controls (see willow ve's post) are major problems in my opinion.
I'm guessing their HCS mode in the final release will be BR starts and they'll probably have more flexible controls too. I was talking more about stuff that won't be fixed by the final release like removing sprint.

jem0208

3. Controlling the map

There hasn't been a proper utility weapon since Halo CE and I see that they have a much better weapon balance in Halo 5, but you're missing my point when I say Halo 5 is missing the very heart of what Halo is.

1. Floating weapons on the map with brightskins, e.g., like Quake, so they're easy to identify on the battlefield
3. Static timed powerups, and put at least two of them on each map (depending on the size of the map)
4. Place counter power weapons on each map, e.g., rockets/snipes, sword/shotty, etc.

There is simply not enough going on in Halo 5 right now. If 343 are saying they didn't include powerups and more power weapons intentionally...then fine, but show me what the final is actually going to look like.

If Empire in the Beta had a rocket and snipe that dropped on a static timer, as well as an OS and camo nearby each power weapon...then we could realistically see how Halo 5 truly is.

If this is suppose to be a beta to give feedback on the core of the game...having features and items absent from the beta negates the entire purpose to begin with.

Game is boring as hell right now. Nothing to control on the maps. It's just sprinting around slaying...with precision weapons...that's boring and it's not Halo. If all we wanna do it have a Halo game to test who's got better aim and better setups...well congrats, you've got that.

Halo most certainly is not entirely about power weapons and controlling the map. That's just ridiculous.

Nope. Then you can't melee in midair. I hate when things behave differently when "holding" the button and "clicking" it. Too many accidentall assassinations in Reach.

Tap to melee, hold to ground pound.

Honestly, ADS on right stick is somewhat fatiguing and difficult when I'm in the middle of combat.

As much as I hate saying it, this game needs a grenade/right stick swap option for Bumper Jumper.

I want Titanfall's Evolved layout, Sprint on LS, melee on B, crouch on RS, it was perfect.

Impala26

Yeah, it's horrible.

I don't wanna sound blasphemous here, but maybe if they don't change that with the controls perhaps remove de-scope from Breakout specifically? I mean, it would keep it more in like with the twitch-based CoD/BF shooting they seem to be going for. I just don't want to see a certain control scheme have a blatant advantage like that.

inB4 Bumper Jumper argument

I want Titanfall's Evolved layout, Sprint on LS, melee on B, crouch on RS, it was perfect.

uhhhhh... wat?

Karl2177

Enlighten me.

I was going to post something sarcastic, but then I figured I should probably contribute once in a while. So here's to my one semi-serious Halo post in this thread, OT23.

If you believe there is a "one Halo policy" formula, then you're foolishly off-base. Claiming things are core tenets to Halo has been done ad nauseum and guess how many principles are agreed upon every time. Sure, timing weapons is important to you. But to Jimmy Random, his core ideas might be a balanced sandbox, fair matchmaking, and good movement options.

Tawpgun

I was going to post something sarcastic, but then I figured I should probably contribute once in a while. So here's to my one semi-serious Halo post in this thread, OT23.

If you believe there is a "one Halo policy" formula, then you're foolishly off-base. Claiming things are core tenets to Halo has been done ad nauseum and guess how many principles are agreed upon every time. Sure, timing weapons is important to you. But to Jimmy Random, his core ideas might be a balanced sandbox, fair matchmaking, and good movement options.

But Jimmy Random isn't Gilly H who is the voice of the competetive community because he watches twitch and mlg and posts on pro forums

TTUVAPOR

Banned

So essentially throw out all the core mechanics/design that defines Halo and separates it from all other shooters, and make it blend in with today's shooters, just give it a balanced sandbox, fair matchmaking and good movement options.

Sounds like a lot of fun!!!

VcbIWHU.jpg

Tawpgun

If we're gonna give out our definitions of core Halo.

Shields
Fluid movement and jumping
Precision weapons as utility
Controlling power weapons and power positions on map
Skill based gun fights.
Guns Nades Melee
Everyone starts on equal ground.

H5 meets all my requirements and even enhances the fluid movement and skill based gun fights part of it. LOVIN IT

Ramirez

3. Controlling the map

Power weapon timers are still there, and are static intervals. Are you mad that they get announced to everyone now? The power ups weren't ready in time for the beta, so how can they implement something they don't currently have? Controlling the map is still just as important as it's ever been. Controlling the towers on Truth, top mid on Regret, Red base on Eden, and one of the sniper areas on Empire are pretty much a constant of the winning team in every match I've played.

The Hydra & Sword are weak power weapons, and that is the point of the beta, to find these things out before the game goes live. Hopefully Pegasus wins and we get to see the RL, and I personally think the Sniper is too easy to use. You say there's nothing to control, but if you don't control the sniper on Eden, it's GG.

I also don't understand how the BR/DMR in this game isn't a good utility weapon...?

Karl2177

So essentially throw out all the core mechanics/design that defines Halo and separates it from all other shooters, and make it blend in with today's shooters, just give it a balanced sandbox, fair matchmaking and good movement options.

Sounds like a lot of fun!!!

You're delusional.

Impala26

Shields
Skill based gun fights.
Guns Nades Melee

H5 meets all my requirements and even enhances the fluid movement and skill based gun fights part of it. LOVIN IT

sub'd.

VinFTW

Shields
Skill based gun fights.
Guns Nades Melee

Imlovinit.png

Shields
Skill based gun fights.
Guns Nades Melee

Second this, very well said.

Computer

So no one here is frustrated about shooting someone one time and them boosting and running away? Or games playing so slow from all running away they don't reach the score limit? Am I the only one that thinks H5 is broken as hell and the map Eden is a clusterfuck of ramps, rooms, ledges, and hiding spots?

jem0208

Tbh Halo 4 had more potential than Reach ever had. It was just held back by shitty perks and AAs. The BR in that game felt so good.

Think he means the Halo 4 controls...

I do agree though, Halo 4 was much better than Reach.

So no one here is frustrated about shooting someone one time and them boosting and running away? Or games playing so slow from all running away they don't reach the score limit? Am I the only one that thinks H5 is broken as hell and the map Eden is a clusterfuck of ramps, rooms, ledges, and hiding spots?

Eden is a clusterfuck, yes. Game is fantastic though, minus a few minor issues.

Ramirez

It's called...teamwork.

Love Eden, aside from the lighting.

I barely ever have time to breath in these games, shit is constantly happening. I can't help but think that it's a lack of understanding of the map or just playing too defensive if you're running into score limit issues.

Guys guys guys! I think I may have cracked how to fix Sprint:

• Players can shoot, strafe, backpedal, etc. while Sprinting
  • Sprinting is slower than it is now, but still faster than base walking speed
  • Players can set a toggle to "Always Sprint"
  • Charge and Slide are removed
  • Shields recharge while Sprinting

This effectively keeps Sprint in Halo 5 on paper keeping everyone who likes Sprint happy while essentially removing it for everyone else, since much like Titanfall there's no reason to ever stop Sprinting, really. Set the toggle and play like Sprint was never in Halo 5.

Thoughts?

Ramirez

Guys guys guys! I think I may have cracked how to fix Sprint:

• Players can shoot, strafe, backpedal, etc. while Sprinting
  • Sprinting is slower than it is now, but still faster than base walking speed
  • Players can set a toggle to "Always Sprint"
  • Charge and Slide are removed
  • Shields recharge while Sprinting

This effectively keeps Sprint in Halo 5 on paper keeping everyone who likes Sprint happy while essentially removing it for everyone else, since much like Titanfall there's no reason to ever stop Sprinting, really. Set the toggle and play like Sprint was never in Halo 5.

Thoughts?

wat

Madness

That's awkward.

Anyways yeah. Halo 4 was pretty solid gameplay wise bar flinch and sprint IMO.

In all honesty, Reach actually played much better and could have been fixed much easier than Halo 4. Had Reach gotten the proper post-launch support, it would have easily been a much better game. Halo 4 needed several months of massive tweaks before it could be considered decent. At launch, the game didn't even have X on death.

ZBNS Reach, or 85% bloom Reach make the gunplay and game play quite different. What was bad about Reach? I'd say bloom, armor abilities like jetpack/armor lock, and maps. Maybe you could make a case for movement/strafe speed and aim assist. Fyre has made good posts on how weird post-launch Reach support was and how it just split up the playerbase, plus removing squad slayer.

I liked Halo 4 well enough, especially legendary BR's. But even then, there were two things you just couldn't fix, flinch and sprint. To make Halo 4 fun, you had to literally turn off everything 343 added (instant respawn, Loadouts, perks, specializations, global ordnance, personal ordnance, killcams). Plus, they could only keep one perk active to give you grenade resupply so that meant flinch had to stay.

jem0208

I had an idea about sprint. I personally don't mind it, don't think it's impact is actually negative however I know most of you hate it.

My idea would be that you can sprint in any direction. So you can strafe sprint, reverse sprint etc. You still wouldn't be able to shoot, instead when you enabled sprint you'd put your weapon away and then when disabled you'd take it out like you would when swapping weapons. You'd start sprinting immediately when the hit the button, however the time to shoot again would be the same as swapping for that weapon.

DeadNames

Banned
Bloom completely broke the game dude. I remember seeing a video of some pro strafing super hard while blowing his DMR load on this dude who just stood still, and the dude who stood still got the kill (while spraying his DMR equally as hard). Grenades were super OP, the jump heigh/MS were way too low, jetpack and armor lock broke the game as well. Vehicles were made of paper and the maps were really lacking.

Halo 4, at it's core, was much better than Reach. Reach, at its core was severely lacking.

And besides, you're acting like the ZB patch came with the game. IIRC it took some many months to get it in.

Have you played Titanfall? It'd be like that.

Base movement speed is reasonable, but ultimately a little slow within such large spaces. You realize that you're sprinting quite often. At some point you set the "always sprint" toggle and never look back. It slows the game down for new players while allowing advance players to always play at top speed.

I don't think it's constructive to think about it as "placating" sprint advocates. I just think it's a better system. We lose charge and slide, but we don't have to keep the weird shield recharge artifice that this extra fast, no other actions sprint gets us.

Ramirez

Have you played Titanfall? It'd be like that.

There's an actual sprint button in TF though. TF's speed wouldn't work in this game, the TTK's aren't even close to the same.

Sprint is such a non issue in 5 man, I really don't get the complaints. It just comes off as a bunch of old dudes sitting around talking about back in their day type of shit. If people are escaping you with sprint, your teammates blow, or your aim sucks.

I don't want them to lose the shield recharge penalty while sprinting, it's a great way to balance it.

SalientOne

Internet Batman
Some of the killcams showing the current automatic re-scope speed look ridiculous. If that's actually how it's appearing/behaving for the user, that does seem like a big advantage with the automatic weapons.

That's actually a known bug in the killcam and spectator mode playback. What you're seeing is actually a player that had remained in scope the entire time but the playback is vascillating between zoomed in/out rapidly. It's purely a visual bug.

There's an actual sprint button in TF though. TF's speed wouldn't work in this game, the TTK's aren't even close to the same.

Sprint is such a non issue in 5 man, I really don't get the complaints. It just comes off as a bunch of old dudes sitting around talking about back in their day type of shit. If people are escaping you with sprint, your teammates blow, or your aim sucks.

There is a sprint button in Halo 5, too. Sprint wouldn't have to be as fast as Titanfall, just faster than base speed. Always sprint and delayed sprint, just like Titanfall, would be available movement options.

As for your latter point, I'd agree except Ninja, an expert Halo player, is rallying around this argument. Vulnerable sprint creates Benny Hill like moments and dissatisfying get-away situations. And forces the artifice of shields-don't-recharge-when-sprinting, which is without flavor and exists only to compensate for a mechanic otherwise being shoehorned into the game.

Most advanced players I'd argue have sprint "always on" in Titanfall.

Ramirez

There is a sprint button in Halo 5, too. Sprint wouldn't have to be as fast as Titanfall, just faster than base speed. Always sprint and delayed sprint, just like Titanfall, would be available movement options.

As for your latter point, I'd agree except Ninja, an expert Halo player, is rallying around this argument. Vulnerable sprint creates Benny Hill like moments and dissatisfying get-away situations. And forces the artifice of shields-don't-recharge-when-sprinting, which is without flavor and exists only to compensate for a mechanic otherwise being shoehorned into the game.

Most advanced players I'd argue have sprint "always on" in Titanfall.

He can rally all he wants, sprint's not going anywhere and we're lucky it's even nerfed to begin with. They could have easily left it the same as 4, so I'm happy that there was at least some trade off.

That's what most people can't seem to wrap their head around. A console FPS in the year two thousand and fifteen is not launching without sprint.

^ I didn't say it wasn't, just that I didn't even care enough about the game to explore its options past inverting controls.

Madness

That's actually a known bug in the killcam and spectator mode playback. What you're seeing is actually a player that had remained in scope the entire time but the playback is vascillating between zoomed in/out rapidly. It's purely a visual bug.

You don't need to answer if you can't, but why even keep Killcams? They've been buggy as hell for two games now. A lot of us don't really want them. They also take away from such things like teabagging, ruin situational awareness, post-death info is valuable for that second or two after you die. Have you guys considered maybe removing them, or making body death cam by default and allowing those who need to see how they died, the ability to press X to view the killcam?

Top Bottom