• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 23| Thruster is Love, Thruster is Life

Fuchsdh

Like I've said before, immediately pull up death cam and insert a prompt to press X to view a kill cam

I don't even think they have to be after death cam, they just need to instantly dismiss when you hit X. Right now there's some weird lag or delay that makes it essentially pointless for me to try and see the death cam.

Madness

Should be optional just because the kill cam is fucked right now. Innacurate, only shows like one second...

This is now their second game where it hasn't functioned properly. Just cut it already. Only a small minority wants it. Make it off by default, optional or cut it altogether in my opinion.

I agree, that's what I've been suggesting.

I'm just saying it does happen so having both would be preferable.

Ehh, it's a bit jarring instantly going to the killcam. It's a lot smoother when your camera zooms out to the deathcam instead of jump cutting to killcam.

Yeah it's too jarring to start right away. That half second, second after death is the most important, did you get a kill from beyond grave, did your teammates kill him, did he get away. The game is fast paced now and every bit of situational awareness happens. The killcam takes away from that, has the weird music, just pointless.

This is now their second game where it hasn't functioned properly. Just cut it already. Only a small minority wants it. Make it off by default, optional or cut it altogether in my opinion.

Yeah it's too jarring to start right away. That half second, second after death is the most important, did you get a kill from beyond grave, did your teammates kill him, did he get away. The game is fast paced now and every bit of situational awareness happens. The killcam takes away from that, has the weird music, just pointless.

I think it's bizarre the left it in considering how broken it is. Thank you killcam for confirming my suspicions that that guy is a laggy fuck, too bad I still died!

It's supposed to explain how you died, but half the time it just makes it more frustrating, and even if it didn't reveal all the jankiness it's often too short to give you the information you wanted.

TTUVAPOR

Banned
I can honestly say I prefer Halo 2 Annv over Halo 5. Not really going to miss this beta when it's over.

On top of that, I enjoy playing Halo CE on MCC so much more than anything. The power weapon and powerup control on the maps plus the fast time to kill makes the game so much more fun than Halo 5.

Tawpgun

I can honestly say I prefer Halo 2 Annv over Halo 5. Not really going to miss this beta when it's over.

On top of that, I enjoy playing Halo CE on MCC so much more than anything. The power weapon and powerup control on the maps plus the fast time to kill makes the game so much more fun than Halo 5.

too easy to kill in H1 on MCC imo

I've been playing a lot of solo the past couple days, and the games are still pretty damn even. The only thing that I find different is that it's easier in that I don't feel like I'm playing teams at all. Either that, or there's a huge drop off between Semi to Gold. I get a lot of Gold players when I go solo. I've had like one game out of ten that had a guy that didn't manage to get kills.

People on this forum update every single game they get with one or two negative people, probably not reporting the other half of their games where they have good teammates and probably drop their own neg bombs.

I haven't played this much competitive Halo since probably Halo 3 MLG, the matching is working, a few forum nerds crying foul is not the norm. It seems that way only because they feel the need to update the world every time it happens.
The time I've been on this thread and the other gaming side thread I've seen the opposite of complaints towards the system then your own experiances online.

Defect

Worth nothing that from Iron-Onyx it's a linear system. You get some points for a win, negative for a loss. At a certain threshold you rank up.

Then you hit semi pro which I THINK starts at 1500. From then that is the minimum semi pro rank, and you rank up that number. The pro rank is only for the top 200 people. So the highest 200 semi pros get promoted to pro. This means its possible for someone that is pro to be demoted to semi pro even if they don't do anything.
I was pro but stopped playing for two days and I'm back to semi.

Tonight, I learned that no matter how good I think I am, I'll always be a BK.
Don't worry, embrace it. You can definitely improve if you stick with it and focus on what you need to improve upon. Playing with people better than you will exponentially speed this process up, and you'll notice the improvements when you go back into search alone and dominate the people you match with. Been happening to some of my lesser-skilled friends after playing so much with me and matching against Pros/Semi Pros all the time.

It's funny, some games I go +20 against really good players/teams while my team is no where near my stats, then some games I'll seem like a scrub because I just don't give a damn about that match. In that sense I'm really inconsistent, but I notice that when I care about my performance is when I see a huge difference in my stats. And when I say I care, I mean being active in thinking about what needs to be done to put my team in power positions to maintain control in a match.

My dong can easily go limp if I see my team chasing dots, not working together while the other team uses their motion tracker properly and plays defensively. In those matches, if I try and lose then I feel more frustrated than if I just don't give a damn about carrying the team, which has resulted in several losses against players who may or may not be that good, but that's just the name of the game unfortunately. This is why I would love for no motion tracker and a Custom Games Browser.
I played some more of the beta last night, the BR starts are neat but I still think the TTK is too slow with the rifles, I much prefer the firing rate of the pistol.

My only complaint right now with the beta is there's not much going on with the maps. There's nothing really to control. No powerups, not enough power weapons. It's kinda boring to be honest. Doesn't feel like core Halo.

However, it does feel like MLG Halo 3 where on some of the maps, there wasn't any power weapons, no powerups, just BRs back and forth...boring as fuck in my opinion and not a true test of competitive prowness.
No one quoted you, but I think this is a very important post to note. There needs to be more power weapon control and Power-ups on timers less than the 3 minutes we've seen over the past few games.

I'd like to see timers for Power-ups be as fast as they were in CE to keep the combat flow of a match interesting.

Tawpgun

How's that?

Ogre2 was saying something how they made the hitboxes bigger to account for playing online or something.

I just keep getting melted by the pistol and keep melting people with the pistol. Thought the lack of aim assist on it would make it harder but its probably easier to kill people in H1 if you get the drop on them than any other Halo.

Oh, but I agree the maps need more stuff to control. And even when the do have a power weapon its the fuckin Hydra Zzzz. If I have control of top mid I'm not losing it to go pick up that POS

Ramirez

The time I've been on this thread and the other gaming side thread I've seen the opposite of complaints towards the system then your own experiances online.

Yea because people only post about their shit teammates. Me and Nutter got two guys last night that went like 1-26 combined. I didn't get on here to cry about it, bad teammates happen.

This system is bruising egos, and people aren't ok with that, lol.

Ogre2 was saying something how they made the hitboxes bigger to account for playing online or something.

I just keep getting melted by the pistol and keep melting people with the pistol. Thought the lack of aim assist on it would make it harder but its probably easier to kill people in H1 if you get the drop on them than any other Halo.
I'll believe this when I see 343 mention it. I have mixed feelings about how it feels and why he might have said it.
Oh, but I agree the maps need more stuff to control. And even when the do have a power weapon its the fuckin Hydra Zzzz. If I have control of top mid I'm not losing it to go pick up that POS
Makes for a decent weapon to bait lol

EDIT:
Yea because people only post about their shit teammates. Me and Nutter got two guys last night that went like 1-26 combined. I didn't get on here to cry about it, bad teammates happen.

Yeah, people need to be humbled more imHo. Need to accept that in Halo 5, most will never see the highest ranks lol

Madness

Nah I agree I'm definitely shit especially compared to how I was. I watch clips from Ram, Tawp and others and I can see they'd dong on me easily if we played. But I definitely am wary of the ranks. My cousin who plays similarly to me, he has worse stats in everything across the board, but was ranked Gold 3. The first ten matches stuff should be fixed to account for kills/deaths/assists first and then they can decide to award ranks based on wins.

I can easily say, look at my last 30 matches, I didn't go negative more than 3 times. And even then, it's a 9-13 negative against a better team, as opposed to 1-20 like some of the guys I get. I'm a BK whatever. But I'm also singlehandedly or with another guy carrying my team to wins in these garbage tiers. I'll get +14 a win, - 11 a loss and the cycle is just continuing lol.

"We already have spartan rank, get rid of CSR, it's ruining halo"

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State

When bad teammates happen 75% of the time, there's issue. I guess, there's a legitimate issue with teammates that are bad because they are AFK or quit. Something could actually be fixed there. You can't fix bad, though.

RowdyReverb

Was this tweet brought up yet? Looks like they're aware and planning on fixing poor blue team visibility. I don't know what Pabst Blue Ribbon has to do with anything though

Was this tweet brought up yet? Looks like they're aware and planning on fixing poor blue team visibility. I don't know what Pabst Blue Ribbon has to do with anything though

Yassssss

With textures straight-up not loading on Spartans in killcams sometimes, I really hope it becomes a toggle. I'd love to play as vibrant Spartan blobs.

Mdot

That's good to hear, but the question posed under it of "how does this even make it to the beta" is valid as well. I mean, these people play the game non-stop and nobody noticed that?

Josh also never answered my question about the DMR scope being completely terrible :/

Sephzilla

If 343 didn't have an itch for replacing purple with blue in Halo maybe blue team on covenant levels wouldn't blend in so much

/s

Watching Ninja play as he occasionally complains about how he's tired of matching with teammates who just sprint around the map, dying over and over as they chase red dots. It's funny because he's an advocate for no sprint and has shown several times how Halo can be improved without it.

Halo doesn't need sprint, it just needs a faster base speed, effective weapons (check) and no motion tracker, then we'd be on the path to righteousness!
When bad teammates happen 75% of the time, there's issue. I guess, there's a legitimate issue with teammates that are bad because they are AFK or quit. Something could actually be fixed there.
Quits should have a penalty of 10 mins or something like having to wait until the match finishes. I feel like that would deter a lot of quitters.
You can't fix bad, though.
Yes you can by providing in-depth analyses on how to improve at Halo in the game itself and for game design to stray away from hand-holding crutches.

Tawpgun

If 343 didn't have an itch for replacing purple with blue in Halo maybe blue team on covenant levels wouldn't blend in so much

/s

They should also decouple their new covenant aesthetic from actual physical models. I am not a fan of the hyper lifelike organic shit (the harvester in spartan ops is straight up a hollowed out dinosaur. Has a spine and everything wtf is this.)

but the main issue is its messing up grenade bounces. Make the ACTUAL geometry more predictable, and all those little tiny notches and bumps will have no real geo behind them. Kinda like wires/cables on the ground in Reach.

RowdyReverb

That's good to hear, but the question posed under it of "how does this even make it to the beta" is valid as well. I mean, these people play the game non-stop and nobody noticed that?
Might be due to a low level issue with the engine that was going to take so much work to correct that it would delay the beta.

Watching Ninja play as he occasionally complains about how he's tired of matching with teammates who just sprint around the map, dying over and over as they chase red dots. It's funny because he's an advocate for no sprint and has shown several times how Halo can be improved without it.

Halo doesn't need sprint, it just needs a faster base speed, effective weapons (check) and no motion tracker, then we'd be on the path to righteousness!

Quits should have a penalty of 10 mins or something like having to wait until the match finishes. I feel like that would deter a lot of quitters.

Yes you can by providing in-depth analyses on how to improve at Halo in the game itself and for game design to stray away from hand-holding crutches.

Yes, conceptually Halo makes more sense without sprint, but name another modern shooter without it. It's a base requirement to be a popular shooter. You have to figure out how to shoehorn sprint into your game or risk feeling niche and retro.

but the main issue is its messing up grenade bounces. Make the ACTUAL geometry more predictable, and all those little tiny notches and bumps will have no real geo behind them. Kinda like wires/cables on the ground in Reach.

They already do this. Throw a grenade at some stairs.

So. Armor customization. Is Body taking over shoulders, forearms, chest and legs beta only? I need to know this. I can't imagine 343 taking a step back from Halo 4's options, but it wouldn't surprise me.

#halo4customizations

Yes, conceptually Halo makes more sense without sprint, but name another modern shooter without it. It's a base requirement to be a shooter. You have to figure out how to put sprint in your game or you're not going to be relevant, it's that simple.
Hmmm, it would be interesting to see what the reception would be if Halo had faster base speed though that didn't feel like ice skates.

I don't think it's as simple as people make it seem, how the game would be disregarded if it didn't have sprint. The game would still sell millions, so what are we really discussing here, a significant loss of sales or a loss of CoD players not sticking around for the long haul?

Madness

O0ej2KJ.jpg

h5-mp-beta-regret-break-2b83b435a5c34d2c850cc533739f0cd2.jpg

I get they couldn't give us the exact Spartan above like they showed, but I was excited when I first saw the model, because I thought, finally, we'll be able to see Spartans easier, that they would be bright and sharp, loaded with color. But in the bullshot below, you can see how the lighting washes them out a bit.

Visual clarity is perhaps my biggest issue with this game. It's probably just me, but I don't really like the look of the game. Maps are dark, too cluttered, there is weird lighting, glows, tints, washed out colors.

I need a crisper image, clean maps, clean sight lines, clarity and more color. It's something I talked about so much with Halo 4 as well. I dislike that next gen lighting look.

Thrust,Sticky, Reversal, I did this a few times in Halo 4 too. Prophet's Bane Triple. I will always love the Halo Energy Sword.

Speaking of Prophet's Bane, do we have any ideas about any other Legendary weapons other than Bane? I want to see what else they can do with them other than sword+speed.
Fist of Rukt + Overshield

Rukt is an easy one.
Traditional spanker is another one to account for the ugly thing.
Keyes Magnum.
Johnson's Splaser
Yayap's Pistol
What about legendary vehicles

BR starts on overdoziz would be fine, it's got enough breaks in sightlines

we've crossed the streams

lol

VinFTW

I get they couldn't give us the exact Spartan above like they showed, but I was excited when I first saw the model, because I thought, finally, we'll be able to see Spartans easier, that they would be bright and sharp, loaded with color. But in the bullshot below, you can see how the lighting washes them out a bit.

Visual clarity is perhaps my biggest issue with this game. It's probably just me, but I don't really like the look of the game. Maps are dark, too cluttered, there is weird lighting, glows, tints, washed out colors.

I need a crisper image, clean maps, clean sight lines, clarity and more color. It's something I talked about so much with Halo 4 as well. I dislike that next gen lighting look.

Thissssss.

SOSOSOSOSOSO much.

Madness

They need to have the SPNKr back as a legendary rocket launcher. Maybe it can have more shots than normal and have a higher splash damage radius or something. I finally saw video of what they changed it to and I didn't like it much.

Rukt is an easy one.
Traditional spanker is another one to account for the ugly thing.
Keyes Magnum.
Johnson's Splaser
Yayap's Pistol
What about legendary vehicles

lol

Elite Honor Guard Staff
Jorge's Heavy Machinegun
Dare's Silenced Automagnum
Buck's Silenced SMG
Palmer's Dual Magnums (I just wanna have one dual wield weapon lol)
Hunter Plasma Cannon

Vehicles:

Prophet of Regret's hover chair
Mantis (Should only pop up on one level as a special thing unless forge)
Golden Civilian Warthog (Should be really fast and maneuverable)
Heretic Banshee (Should look and handle like the old Halo 2 Banshees)

Ramirez

When bad teammates happen 75% of the time, there's issue. I guess, there's a legitimate issue with teammates that are bad because they are AFK or quit. Something could actually be fixed there. You can't fix bad, though.

There's no solution to random teammates. They're random. For all you know, the person dropping neg bombs, but is in Onyx is letting his friend or kid play.

Team up, only way to avoid it.

"We heard you like lens flares in multiplayer" - 313

I just scored negative points in a Metropolis run on Legendary. :lol That part with the Wraiths is fucking brutal. I kept trying to hijack one, only for my idiot teammates to shoot me to pieces while I was boarding.

Mix

Had a ton of good games earlier, went on like a 15 game winning streak with zoojoo and then these dudes came in and destroyed our randoms. Ian and I went like 16-5 each of the last two matches and the randoms dropped hard neg bombs. Almost to Onyx and everything and between these two games I dropped over 40 points. Super aggravating but I'm still super addicted to it.

VinFTW

Had a ton of good games earlier, went on like a 15 game winning streak with zoojoo and then these dudes came in and destroyed our randoms. Ian and I went like 16-5 each of the last two matches and the randoms dropped hard neg bombs. Almost to Onyx and everything and between these two games I dropped over 40 points. Super aggravating but I'm still super addicted to it.

You guys gonna be playing more later tonight?

I just scored negative points in a Metropolis run on Legendary. :lol That part with the Wraiths is fucking brutal. I kept trying to hijack one, only for my idiot teammates to shoot me to pieces while I was boarding.

That must be an issue Vista introduced, back in console Halo 2 I distinctly remember that idling on a boarded tank wouldn't get you shot - neither enemies or allies would try and shoot you or the vehicle you were hijacking until you killed the occupants.

-Ryn

Banned
So now that everyone has played the beta a bit longer what are your overall thoughts on Halo 5?

True successor to the throne?
CoD in space?
Dr.Pepper?

That must be an issue Vista introduced, back in console Halo 2 I distinctly remember that idling on a boarded tank wouldn't get you shot - neither enemies or allies would try and shoot you or the vehicle you were hijacking until you killed the occupants.

Yeah, I did find it odd, I'd never seen it happen before.

Top Bottom