• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT| HaloGAF Evolved

Status
Not open for further replies.
The good:

*Rocket Hog Race reduced weighting
*Classic gametypes removed from Anniversary squad (shouldn't have been there in the first place)
*Rumble Pit TU
*Team Slayer potentially going TU

The bad:

*Squad DLC is no longer Anniversary required and has Objective gametypes. Yay! What's that? It's still Vanilla settings? Won't be playing it then! (There's five days until the update, please change your mind 343).

The Ugly:

*Evade stays (it's outdoing Drop Shield in longevity now)
*Broken Vehicle replaces broken vehicle

The good is good this month though.

Pretty pissed about no vid rendering service. Something I thought they'd want to carry over.

FyreWulff

The good:

*Rocket Hog Race reduced weighting
*Classic gametypes removed from Anniversary squad (shouldn't have been there in the first place)
*Rumble Pit TU
*Team Slayer potentially going TU

The bad:

*Squad DLC is no longer Anniversary required and has Objective gametypes. Yay! What's that? It's still Vanilla settings? Won't be playing it then! (There's five days until the update, please change your mind 343).

The Ugly:

*Evade stays (it's outdoing Drop Shield in longevity now)
*Broken Vehicle replaces broken vehicle

The good is good this month though.

Pretty pissed about no vid rendering service. Something I thought they'd want to carry over.

I really hope that the nameplate thing is because they don't have the time and not because it would mean they'd have to have a Marathon and Bungie logos on Waypoint in a nameplate settings page.

I'd like answers on:

Halo 3 / ODST file shares
Unlocking the septagon (for Linktaculars)
Unlocking Recon in Halo 3 for those that haven't done it
If you'll still have recon unlocked after the transition
If whatever nameplate we have will be locked in post-transition or if everyone will just go blank.

Best plan is to just get a party of 4 and go into Team Slayer during week 2 of the test period.

I doubt the majority of the players in that playlist will even notice the change anyways. Which is probably what 343 is going to be looking at. I'm guessing week 1 will be 80% Vanilla and then week 2 will be 80% TU.

Squad Slayer will still serve a purpose due to no Armor Lock and a severely reduced amount of gray in comparison to Team Slayer TU.

Edit: Congrats to bsangel. Good update and definitely worth the wait.

Havok

I think I'll stick to playing Team Objective
Now with (still with) unfortunate amounts of (read: any amount of) Speedflag, 3 Flag, 2 Flag Slayer, and Hot Potato!

BWU 6/3/11 said:
Team Objective revamp

...refined the playlist lineup so players are consistently being offered more popular experiences with less fringe gametypes
Nailed it, guys.

FyreWulff

Sometimes I feel like I'm the only person here who actually prefers Hot Potato to regular Oddball.

You're not alone. I like it. It keeps teams from camping with the ball on certain maps. I'd like to see adjustments to the Safe and Random Detonation times though.

BOOM!Ball is pretty great too.

Now with (still with) unfortunate amounts of (read: any amount of) Speedflag, 3 Flag, 2 Flag Slayer, and Hot Potato!

Nailed it, guys.
And Evade out the wazoo. And peak populations of 200! Gee golly that sounds awesome.

You're not alone. I like it. It keeps teams from camping with the ball on certain maps.
Why is that a problem? If you can't get the ball away from the other team then try harder or take the loss. Having it randomly blow up in your face just punishes those that are actually trying to win. It's stupid catering to bad kids.

Havok

Sometimes I feel like I'm the only person here who actually prefers Hot Potato to regular Oddball.

If there was a less random way to have the ball explode, sure, maybe I could entertain that argument. As it is now, you can kill the ball guy, pick it up, and then explode ten seconds later while they get to carry it for a minute straight without any issues. That's awful.

Halo 2's Low Ball was a much better solution to stop the camping issue since it had to change hands (and was vulnerable during the handoff) or else the team was just wasting time.

FyreWulff

If there was a less random way to have the ball explode, sure, maybe I could entertain that argument. As it is now, you can kill the ball guy, pick it up, and then explode ten seconds later while they get to carry it for a minute straight without any issues. That's awful.

Halo 2's LowBall was a much better solution to stop the camping issue since it had to change hands or else the team was just wasting time.

I believe it's possible to always make the random safe time 1 second (you define the safe time, and then the additional random safe time). So yes, it's possible to make it explode predictably. I'd like to see Lowball come back too, but after it was discovered to be bugged in Halo 3 it never came back :(

Why is that a problem? If you can't get the ball away from the other team then try harder or take the loss. Having it randomly blow up in your face just punishes those that are actually trying to win. It's stupid catering to bad kids.

Which is why I said some maps. Those some maps being onces with force spawns where the oddball just has to stand on a certain spot and your team will spawn in the same spot over again. Also I would like to submit Foundry Oddball.jpg as evidence to the court. If you don't want to splode then keep track of the time and Play Ball to reset the timer.

I believe it's possible to always make the random safe time 1 second (you define the safe time, and then the additional random safe time). So yes, it's possible to make it explode predictably. I'd like to see Lowball come back too, but after it was discovered to be bugged in Halo 3 it never came back :(

Explain plz?

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Am I the only one who thinks these updates are a total bore fest? I don't mean to sound like an ass but shiiiiiiiiiiit Friday updates on Bungie used to be an event.

Best plan is to just get a party of 4 and go into Team Slayer during week 2 of the test period.

I doubt the majority of the players in that playlist will even notice the change anyways. Which is probably what 343 is going to be looking at. I'm guessing week 1 will be 80% Vanilla and then week 2 will be 80% TU.

Edit: Congrats to bsangel. Good update and definitely worth the wait.

The voting data as a barometer for which is preferred becomes skewed though depending on what a player prefers. Vanilla could be AR starts whilst the TU option is DMR; what does the player who can't stand AR starts but prefers Vanilla settings vote for in this situation? TS should go all DMR/AR start for the two weeks.

Tashi0106 said:
Am I the only one who thinks these updates are a total bore fest? I don't mean to sound like an ass but shiiiiiiiiiiit Friday updates on Bungie used to be an event.

I don't think they're a bore fest, and they'll be an event when Halo 4 is ready to be slowly unveiled.

FyreWulff

Explain plz?

In Halo 3 Lowball, a lot of the time (there doesn't seem to be a consistent trigger) a team will pick up the oddball, but even if they all have 100 points the game engine will stop counting at a lower number, no matter how many points they get.

So Teammate A picks up the ball, gets 45 points
Teammate B picks up the ball, gets the 100.
Teammate C picks up the ball, gets the 100..

Teammate A goes to pick up the ball again, team score stays at 45 even though he's gaining points if you look at the scoreboard. Hence why Lowball was deleted from 3 Ball DEXP.

Okay, fair enough. But I'd rather they just fix the spawns or properly match Oddball with maps that it works on properly instead of playing Hot Potato.

Can I take the oddball carrier being set on fire as a compromise?

Which is why I said some maps. Those some maps being onces with force spawns where the oddball just has to stand on a certain spot and your team will spawn in the same spot over again. Also I would like to submit Foundry Oddball.jpg as evidence to the court. If you don't want to splode then keep track of the time and Play Ball to reset the timer.
Okay, fair enough. But I'd rather they just fix the spawns or properly match Oddball with maps that it works on properly instead of playing Hot Potato.

blamite

Yeah I agree the timing on the detonation needs to be improved, but I like that it keeps play moving around the map a little more, as opposed to standard Oddball games that can tent to be limited to just a few sections of the map, no matter who controls the ball.

But BOOM! Ball is pretty much the best thing in the world.

In Halo 3 Lowball, a lot of the time (there doesn't seem to be a consistent trigger) a team will pick up the oddball, but even if they all have 100 points the game engine will stop counting at a lower number, no matter how many points they get.

So Teammate A picks up the ball, gets 45 points
Teammate B picks up the ball, gets the 100.
Teammate C picks up the ball, gets the 100..

Teammate A goes to pick up the ball again, team score stays at 45 even though he's gaining points if you look at the scoreboard. Hence why Lowball was deleted from 3 Ball DEXP.

Ah, yes, I remember now, thanks!

Yeah I get that. I understand your position against TU.

But to hope I never get to play? Just seemed like an unnecessarily hostile response which amused me.
It wasn't meant to be. You can presently 100% guarantee playing the shitty TU gametype by going into any number of lists, including Squad Slayer and The Arena, which are very similar to Team Slayer. Me wishing that you don't play it while searching in Team Slayer is an expression of hope that it will be soundly defeated.

If it's your wish to play TU settings, I wish you the best, and I hope you get to play them every match, and you know which lists are best for that. Why take a chance playing yucky Vanilla Reach in TS?

Yeah I agree the timing on the detonation needs to be improved, but I like that it keeps play moving around the map a little more, as opposed to standard Oddball games that can tent to be limited to just a few sections of the map, no matter who controls the ball.

But BOOM! Ball is pretty much the best thing in the world.

The problem is no warning so you can't set up again.

Strongly Disagree
Frankie said that only the universally accepted changes would roll out, but instead all the changes are rolling out, and there isn't going to be a home for Vanilla Reach should this TS change go through. I can't think of his promise as any more broken. More broken than the TU gametype itself.

Team Slayer isn't even my fucking preferred playlist. It has sufficed as a haven from objectively inferior settings. I doubt ubiquitous TU settings would drive me to stop playing, but it will always feel inferior, and I liked having a choice.

Tashi

Damn, I'm trying to record the voice over for this MLG Pro Circuit controller video and it's hard. I'm trying to cram it all in 30 seconds, attempt at being funny, and not fumble over my words all at the same time. LOL. Damn I suck.

Tawpgun

Don't want TS to go TU.

As I said.

The TU is continuing its campaign to cleanse Reach of its old design in order to enlighten Spartans everywhere to the glory of the TU.

Victory will be swift.
because bleed through and 85 bloom promote faster gameplay

kylej

Banned
Damn, I'm trying to record the voice over for this MLG Pro Circuit controller video and it's hard. I'm trying to cram it all in 30 seconds, attempt at being funny, and not fumble over my words all at the same time. LOL. Damn I suck.

I had to lead a 3 hour graduate seminar on comparative environmental politics yesterday after a days work. I didn't prepare. Dance baby, just bullshit it.

Booshka

Gandhi fumbles all over his words all the time and he gets paid to be a broadcaster, I'm sure MLG will be understanding.

Overdoziz

Banned
Nothing better than making the bomb explode after a random amount of time only to respawn in a random spot on the map.
Also, if people are able to easily camp on a certain map with the oddball than the gametype shouldn't be available in combination with that map. After Halo 2 Bungie thought it was a good idea to try and force people to play every gametype on every map instead of only the gametypes that actually work well on the maps.

Edit: So much butthurt in every HBO thread about the TU. That place becomes grosser by the day.

Tawpgun

Frankie said that only the universally accepted changes would roll out, but instead all the changes are rolling out

Funny how that works.

I would modify that to

Frankie said that only the universally accepted changes would roll out and now all the changes are rolling out.

:)

I'd be willing to bet more people like the TU settings than are against them.

feel

Not at all, Frank/Luke had much better games to work with, I can't blame Urk for having to write about Reach.

Nailed it. Noone respectable wants to read about Reach, fuck that game.

And once the Bulletins move past Reach they will become really interesting and everyone will be looking forward to them.

Tashi

Haha thanks.

I'm going add a bunch of embarassing clips of me getting owned and embarrassed. Including maybe me shooting a rocket at a wall and killing myself.

Then the voice over will say, look at how bad I am. Wow I suck. I recommend watching this video a few times to let the suck sink in. The raw suckage.

So please, save me. Let me have this controller so I can suck less!

That's the basic idea of what I wanna say. Any suggestions? Lol

It wasn't meant to be. You can presently 100% guarantee playing the shitty TU gametype by going into any number of lists, including Squad Slayer and The Arena, which are very similar to Team Slayer. Me wishing that you don't play it while searching in Team Slayer is an expression of hope that it will be soundly defeated.

If it's your wish to play TU settings, I wish you the best, and I hope you get to play them every match, and you know which lists are best for that. Why take a chance playing yucky Vanilla Reach in TS?
Well like I said in a previous post, I think this TU/Vanilla split needs to go away. It's sloppy and confusing. Of course I know what playlists to go for TU settings but not everyone does. Having a consistent experience across all gametypes (besides ones that are clearly labeled as something else, MLG, Griffball, etc.) would be ideal. So if me voting for TU in TS helps expedite the spread then I'll gladly participate.

And I don't hate Vanilla Reach. Last night I had lots of fun playing TS with Booties and Squall. And a week or so before, with Juices and Plywood. I think the Armor Lock complaints are blown out of proportion. Yes, Armor Lock is shit that never should have existed but the amount of people that use it successfully isn't very prevalent at all. Evade in Objective is a bigger headache to me. But I just like TU settings more (though that health pack glitch has gotta go) so it has my support.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom