• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT| HaloGAF Evolved

Status
Not open for further replies.

FyreWulff

Devo showing me the ways of the AR, look out Fyrewulf

mtHZG.jpg

Havok

I don't even understand the point of any person who regularly posts in here participating in the gaming side Halo threads...other than to troll of course.
Bringing the fruit of knowledge to the unwashed masses. Also because it's kind of funny.

(and something to do while also going back through the Halo 3 thread - a couple things stick out: so many names I haven't seen in years, and that I've posted in these dumb threads for a stupidly long time. Then I discovered while watching the HaloGAF Halo 3 montage that BladedExpert has a bunch of my Halo 3 Beta videos on his Youtube channel from way back when, months before he started posting here. I had a bnet group for folks that wanted footage but didn't make it into the F&F beta and used my shitty USB capture setup to record some [really terrible, looking back] gameplay.)

Tawpgun

Can panels be added? But don't cry, you will encounter me. PAX East will be worth because of it.

I'll hook you up with some Stetty West dining hall tier Stir Fry.
It's actually pretty good.

Fo Free.

In addition to other free food you might want. I got guest passes on guest passes. This goes for any HaloGAF peeps going to East.

FyreWulff

Interview over the Reach API:

http://levelsave.com/2012/02/the-future-of-halo-an-interview-with-kirk-smith/

343 could seal this whole week off with announcing that they'll continue the API.. however, this is apparently their current stance:

Unfortunately we do not have plans to develop a similar feature at this time. Adding new features, even ones that seem small, take a significant amount of time and resources. Our main priorities at this time are supporting Reach, building out Halo Waypoint, and making Halo 4.

I know it’s hard to see the positives right now, but because we’re prioritizing those things, you get new Halo: Reach game types and regular playlist updates, you get File Share access on Halo Waypoint this summer, and you get an amazing new game in Holiday 2012.”

I don't see why supporting the API entails the costs of a new feature. The work has been done. It's ready to go. Waypoint is obviously using the API or some form of it right now (whenever Bungie.net stats go down, Waypoint's stats also mysteriously go down at the same time). With the amount of time they've had since Bungie handed it off, nobody could expense some server blades and re-prop the API server in Kirkland?

I know, that's why I asked :)
If he knows what it means?
The only German part is "Der". I don't know what you are trying to say but does the word "Flatulator" even exist in German?

Otherwise my first intention was to say that Germans are awesome and everyone wants to be German somehow. Etc. :p

What's an API?
application programming interface. Through a API key, Bungie gave programmer the ability to get access to the stats etc for their website or to create apps.

FyreWulff

What's an API?

Application Programming Interface (edit: beaten by Hyper). In basic terms, a simplified way of interacting with someone else's program or server. In the past, you had to scrape Bungie.net (download the entire webpage's code minus the images), parse out the downloaded web page (gigantic pain the ass), then get the data you want (with tons of wasted data and bandwidth) so you could finally use it. Web scraping can either end up with you banned for hitting the site too much and also puts the usability out of range of people that cannot afford or are not allowed to let their app or webserver screenscape another server.

What the Reach API lets you do is ask Bungie for just the information you want, preformatted in a machine-readable language with no fluff or gigantic requests and consistent variable names, even if they change how things are displayed on the website itself. Here's a sample of the data you can quickly get. A lot of this is unavailable even if you screenscrape Waypoint, because 343 simply does not output the information.

In the end, the sites that really want to are going to screenscrape Waypoint for stats, and that's just going to end up costing 343 more bandwidth and money if they just moved the API stuff over to their end and maintained it's availability.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Hey, I tried to ask Angel if I could help on Waypoint being that I am a mod for Saints Row and Xbox, no dice. You all are in the elite Halo club. :p

Application Programming Interface (edit: beaten by Hyper). In basic terms, a simplified way of interacting with someone else's program or server. In the past, you had to scrape Bungie.net (download the entire webpage's code minus the images), parse out the downloaded web page (gigantic pain the ass), then get the data you want (with tons of wasted data and bandwidth) so you could finally use it. Web scraping can either end up with you banned for hitting the site too much and also puts the usability out of range of people that cannot afford or are not allowed to let their app or webserver screenscape another server.

What the Reach API lets you do is ask Bungie for just the information you want, preformatted in a machine-readable language with no fluff or gigantic requests and consistent variable names, even if they change how things are displayed on the website itself. Here's a sample of the data you can quickly get. A lot of this is unavailable even if you screenscrape Waypoint, because 343 simply does not output the information.

In the end, the sites that really want to are going to screenscrape Waypoint for stats, and that's just going to end up costing 343 more bandwidth and money if they just moved the API stuff over to their end and maintained it's availability.

Does the Halo Reach Stats "HR Stats" iphone app uses this API key?

Karl2177

Interview over the Reach API:

http://levelsave.com/2012/02/the-future-of-halo-an-interview-with-kirk-smith/

343 could seal this whole week off with announcing that they'll continue the API.. however, this is apparently their current stance:

I don't see why supporting the API entails the costs of a new feature. The work has been done. It's ready to go. Waypoint is obviously using the API or some form of it right now (whenever Bungie.net stats go down, Waypoint's stats also mysteriously go down at the same time). With the amount of time they've had since Bungie handed it off, nobody could expense some server blades and re-prop the API server in Kirkland?
"whenever bnet stats go down, waypoint mysteriously goes down."

Well maybe that's backwards. Bnet stats go down because waypoint and reach go down...

Monday will be a good day. I get up at 3:45am Central Time, will I have the sufficient info to load my undies by then? Should I call in sick?

Protip time,

In your browser of choice go to you settings and the home page option next to www.google.com (if you dont have this get off the internet) type

Code:
 | http://www.secondapps.com/countdown/t1330956000z0.png

The " | " is very important

And click apply, everytime you hit your home key a second tab should open up containing

t1330956000z0.png

Which is a countdown to the Halo 4 reveal based on what we currently know

Tested only on Firefox
Aka the only real browser gtfo with your chrome nonsense

BTW, Duncan did I hear correctly that you are recording the PAX East panel?

Yep! Bought a new camcorder and tripod for PAX.

Hoping to record everything Halo-related I can, including your panel. I'll have ample storage space for hours of HD footage, so long as I can keep my battery packs charged.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom