• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT| HaloGAF Evolved

Status
Not open for further replies.

CyReN

Was it your favourite game pre-patch or post?

And that was the number one concern, how much can they catch through internal play testing if it's not available to the public to test drive.

I didn't have high speed internet until after their update, but did play game on lan and at friends houses with pre. So post.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
We've seen 2 maps today. I imagine there's more to be shown later.

I'm looking forward to the Halo 4 Gulch/Coag/Valhalla.

Speaking of which, they should follow the trend and do a remake of Valhalla. Make me happy.

thats about the only remake i could get behind, otherwise, all new maps please

I'm wracking my brain about what we've been hearing about "perks" and unlocks and stuff, trying to figure out how it would work in a Halo game and I can't think of anything. But I guess we'll see. If it's not like CoD, then what? I'm interested in hearing more, definitely.

They are not perks, everyone needs to stop calling them perks.
All that has been said so far is that your armor now affects gameplay.

So maybe if you have lighter armor, you can sprint.
Of you have heavier armor you can take more damage to the chest, but move slower.
Or if you have a more advanced visor, you have 3D motion censor. Etc.

A new layer has to be added to keep the game fresh, hopefully they implement it right.

TheOddOne

Anyone else share the opinion that Wraparound looks terribly boring aesthetically? Warhouse looks better but shares depressing similarities with Countdown.

Seriously, if 343i can just nail the maps then that's pretty much all I can ask for; I want maps as good as Lockout, Valhalla, Burial Mounds, Headlong, Zanzibar, Ascension, Sanctuary, High Ground and The Pit.
I actually like the look and feel of Wraparound. I'm a sucker for Forerunner achitecture though.

We've seen 2 maps today. I imagine there's more to be shown later.

I'm looking forward to the Halo 4 Gulch/Coag/Valhalla.

Speaking of which, they should follow the trend and do a remake of Valhalla. Make me happy.

That's the only remake that I would get excited about.. well maybe Waterworks too.

Valhalla must happen though.

Fuchsdh

I actually like the look and feel of Wraparound. I'm a sucker for Forerunner achitecture though.

It does look a little omnitonal and bright, but that might just be the cinematic stuff in the engine and the flybys.

Forerunner architecture has always been interesting, the problem with Forge World is that creating everything out of the same pieces is disorienting visually. It wasn't the grey that was the problem, it was the fact that *everything* was grey.

That's the only remake that I would get excited about.. well maybe Waterworks too.

Valhalla must happen though.

Haha that made my day. It is a freezing Hell when someone mentions Waterworks--probably the most forgotten Halo map save for Chiron. I never really played it since I was networking 'boxes and never had a big enough team.

Trey

You don't know what your next opponent is going to have. If the gameplay isn't opposing your ability to counter anything, then you actually feel a sense of reward.

Under your scenario, your opponent isn't more or less likely to have a power weapon. And are you implying predictable respawn times do oppose one's ability to counter anything?

Wraparound look very, very nice. Reminds me of the forerunner scenery from halo wars.

2877870128_small_1.jpg

Not a big fan of the name though.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
You know, I'd be very happy if every on disc map is original and they kept the remakes for DLC.

I think we really need some good original maps in Halo to keep things fresh.

CyReN

There's a new video interview on the Xbox dashboard under Inside Xbox with Josh Holmes. Nothing really new.

Sorry if old.

Xand and Bobs were having a intense discussion on the pro's and con's of a beta.

Pretty good discussion as well.

I hate them both.

I'd be worried if they weren't playable by then!

Pro: Beta is fun.

Con: Xand hates fun.

Pro: Beta's improve quality.

Con: Xand wants Armour Lock in Halo 4.

Pro: Beta's are enjoyable for the entire community, whether you are a child or a adult

Con: Xand would rather those children werent on the halo beta so he could continue perving on them.

Pro: Beta's are worldwide

Con: Cali is too cool to be part of the rest of the world.

Conversation wasnt that good. :/

No but really, I would like a beta, but I guess if its not happening, its not happening. I hope 343 have a good test strategy in place, I assume they can do a nice internal beta with the might of MS?

Ryaaan14

Banned
I'm very curious as to how this multiplayer fiction is going to affect the maps. Before it was just fine and dandy to have a map on any planet without having to really explain why (or explaining, but in a fun outrageous fashion). But now since it's supposedly part of the story I'm wondering if it's all going to have to be localized to where the story takes place.

Pro: Beta is fun.

Con: Xand hates fun.

Pro: Beta's improve quality.

Con: Xand wants Armour Lock in Halo 4.

Pro: Beta's are enjoyable for the entire community, whether you are a child or a adult

Arghhh! I hate spiders, I would burn my house down to see those fucker die!

Con: Xand would rather those children werent on the halo beta so he could continue perving on them.

Pro: Beta's are worldwide

Con: Cali is too cool to be part of the rest of the world.

Conversation wasnt that good. :/

No but really, I would like a beta, but I guess if its not happening, its not happening. I hope 343 have a good test strategy in place, I assume they can do a nice internal beta with the might of MS?

Fixed.

GhaleonEB

I have a hunch that the door-opening sequence we see happens on FUD, at the beginning of the game.
Yup, had the same thought. Human design, makes sense the FUD would be beaten up.

You know, I'd be very happy if every on disc map is original and they kept the remakes for DLC.

I think we really need some good original maps in Halo to keep things fresh.

I'll go one further: the rule for Halo 4 should be, all new maps. Spiritual successors, sure (Blood Gulch --> Valhalla), but no remakes. Start the series anew.

I'll go one further: the rule for Halo 4 should be, all new maps. Spiritual successors, sure (Blood Gulch --> Valhalla), but no remakes. Start the series anew.

Yes, this completely, I mean it didn't hurt halo 3, for example guardian and avalanche became some of favourites from that game.

Homeboyd

But I don't want to demo the game. I'm more interested in helping refine features.

Right but based on what Frank said, that's not likely going to happen. In terms of getting an early taste, a demo is the next best thing.

Better than nothing. That's all I meant by my post.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger

I'd be happy with that too, but it just makes too much sense. It's too good. So it won't happen. We know it won't. =/

Magni

Will Halo 4 have a real matchmaking system? I'm tired of playing against idiots (on my own team) in Reach when I don't have time to party up.

Fracas

#fuckonami
Can someone link me to the gif of chief ripping open a door in first person? I saw it mentioned in the gaming side threads, but I haven't seen it

Blueblur1

I'm having a hard time finding the link to the high quality version of the trailer. Can someone repost it? I think Wu posted it earlier.

Fuchsdh

Ok, I've been sifting through all this stuff and rumors and I've gotten turned around.

343i never said the words "perks", right? It's not mentioned by them here. Any info I'm missing?

Karl2177

Under your scenario, your opponent isn't more or less likely to have a power weapon. And are you implying predictable respawn times do oppose one's ability to counter anything?

No. I'm saying that they both have a place in competitive Halo. To outright say one isn't competitive based on the status quo seems a little close minded to me.

Magni

What are you talking about heckfu? (Honest question, didn't see anything)

I'm impressed so far though, I love the fact that we got rid of the grit and got some vibrant Red and Blue that stick out from the rest of the map. Bloom is out it seems (thank God!), is hitscan still in?

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Ok, I've been sifting through all this stuff and rumors and I've gotten turned around.

343i never said the words "perks", right? It's not mentioned by them here. Any info I'm missing?

There;s no real solid confirmation of how multiplayer works, or even modes discussed. I think the problem is coming from the sheer weight of journalists asking 343 about COD to the point where the actual confirmed information, or lack thereof, is getting obscured.

Fuchsdh

There;s no real solid confirmation of how multiplayer works, or even modes discussed. I think the problem is coming from the sheer weight of journalists asking 343 about COD to the point where the actual confirmed information, or lack thereof, is getting obscured.

thanks.gif

By the way Dani, FuD is blocking me :(

"Your connection to this server has been blocked in this server's firewall.

You need to contact the server owner for further information.

Your blocked IP address is [blam!]

This server's hostname is cp7.hostable.com"

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
By the way Dani, FuD is blocking me :(

"Your connection to this server has been blocked in this server's firewall.

You need to contact the server owner for further information.

Your blocked IP address is [blam!]

This server's hostname is cp7.hostable.com"

Technical hosting issues. Currently waiting for the hosting's technical support to stop having technical issues so that I can ask them about my technical issues. =/

Try again, might be up now.

Quote from Frankie over at HBO

"classic" Halo isn't going away. Most of the things you like will be there.

in reaction to

Now I read that based on rank/level/whatever the player will acquire (i refuse to call them "perks") that will give their player certain abilities in game play and in appearance.
So would that mean, armor perms = completely cosmetic

a different set of rank based acquisitions = gameplay changing elements & cosmetic differences

I realize we are scraping the barrel here but is that what is being implied?

Halo is my primary (game of all time) multiplayer shooter because:

the awesome social features, and the even keel aspect of it

I really respect what 343 is doing, I am blown away happy about the announcements, I think a new modern direction is right up my alley and I wont say anything negative because I havent played the game. That, and I dont want Frankie to make a sarcastic gif at me and make me feel stupid, but..

>>(the point)
>>are we leaning towards a departure from:
>>you spawn the same as every other player, and its up to you to be the better team?

Its without a doubt my favorite and most admirable quality about Halo, so I will be sad to see it leave if it does, but realistically I love the fiction to much to leave Halo, and I dont mind having a new gameplay experience, I am completely open to what 343 wants to do

as the gif says rather eloquently.. Ill just deal with it,

just wondering if yall have a clearer interpretation of todays MP news

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom