• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT| HaloGAF Evolved

Status
Not open for further replies.

Miggytronz

Oh, no, I bought the game. It just didn't sit well with me and I gave it away on here. Maybe I'm just a homer for the halo mechanics but BF3 got my vote for worst game of the year (that I purchased, Barbie's Horse Adventure notwithstanding).

Thats just crazy. BF3 Game mechanics (gunplay, movement ect.) alone has broadened the developer eyes in the industry.

Also the Battlefield Moments alone cannot be beat by no other Multiplayer game. Halo had that one time in Halo 2 online.

Myyke

Neo Member
You play the one gamemode that battlefield should never have been designed for, the most.

You sicken me, also seeming as we're talking about BF3, BC2>BF3.

TDM is good old fashioned, fast paced, no strings attached fun. I only play Rush or Conquest in a squad of friends now, really no joy in dealing with the randoms who very rarely talk or co-ordinate in what should be a tactical game. Only problem I had with TDM initially was that the spawns were borked, but they patched that quite a while back.

Also BF3>BC2 SOOOOO much, BC2 was enjoyable but I found the movement and gunplay pretty clunky, BF3 feels much more precise and is a big reason I find TDM so enjoyable. The only thing BC2 has going for it are a few good maps, which could quite easily be ported to the superior gameplay of BF3.

Miggytronz

Halo def could benefit from many other elements from other games as well. Like Active Reload from Gears, wish alot more games used this. The added tension adds a bit more immersion to the game.

TDM is good old fashioned, fast paced, no strings attached fun. I only play Rush or Conquest in a squad of friends now, really no joy in dealing with the randoms who very rarely talk or co-ordinate in what should be a tactical game. Only problem I had with TDM initially was that the spawns were borked, but they patched that quite a while back.

Also BF3>BC2 SOOOOO much, BC2 was enjoyable but I found the movement and gunplay pretty clunky, BF3 feels much more precise and is a big reason I find TDM so enjoyable. The only thing BC2 has going for it are a few good maps, which could quite easily be ported to the superior gameplay of BF3.

simpsons-duel-slap-white-glove-snake-homer.jpg

Halo def could benefit from many other elements from other games as well. Like Active Reload from Gears, wish alot more games used this. The added tension adds a bit more immersion to the game.

What I always wanted to see in halo, in particular the Spartans, was a crysis level of physicality and interaction.

Karl2177

what if evade was every direction EXCEPT forward? this would automatically change it from the sprint forward it is usually used as to a defensive escape as, i'd imagine, it was intended.
I'll just turn around and do it for a couple of times. It's not like it takes a few seconds to turn around.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA So you played the BETA?

The game currently runs great! My personal favorite online multiplayer since Halo 2.

BC2 soured my taste for Battlefield games way too much. The only thing that looks remotely cool in BC3 is being a dickhead with C4.

Yesterday I was working out in front of the TV watching Netflix (with P90X playing muted on the PC monitor).

Kinect did not like that at all.

-------
Battlefield 3 is awesome, I'm enjoying it much more than Bad Company 2.

If Halo 4 had helicopters that felt like the BF3 ones I'd be in heaven.

MrBig

BC2 soured my taste for Battlefield games way too much. The only thing that looks remotely cool in BC3 is being a dickhead with C4.

Just about every session I play of BF3, there is at least one point at which I am put completely at aw by something that has happened. Be it flying inversely over an enemy jet Top Gun style, dropping C4 on a tank as it rolls over me on a hill, running through a wall with a tank to get a triple splatter kill, or causing facade/tower to fall down and kill people. I feel like I'm a part of the action and I don't care whether my team wins or loses, because the game rewards you for doing your part, no matter what you specialize in. I can go 0-0 and come out MVP. There are just so many small things that can happen that make the game incredibly enjoyable, because the game is so dynamic and there is so much you can do. It is incredibly fun to play for hours on end when you start experiencing stuff like this.

Halo multiplayer has become stale to me in comparison. I always know what is going to happen, what other people are going to do, and I almost always win. Maybe that's because I've been playing for 10 years though, without any drastic changes to the gameplay formula. I don't want Battlefield in my Halo. They are completely different. I want something new out of Halo that gives me the small amounts of sporadic enjoyment that I love. The way I felt in the first few years of Halo 1 lanning when everything happened unexpectedly.

Kind of went off on a tangent there. Not hating on Halo, just saying words.

Overdoziz

Banned
YEAH TOTALLY. :\
By saying they play and feel completely different you've compared them. Something you said you didn't like.
It's a silly thing to say anyway. Why shouldn't people compare them? It's the next game in the series. BF3 is very clearly build on top of what they did with BC2.

Can we have Halo news already?
And not toys.

Trey

Halo does not need to become more like Battlefield. In any capacity. Halo should stay arena-style where individual skill flourishes.

Battlefield is great fun though.

senador

Banned
Now a Battlefield esque HALO title wouldnt be bad. IMO.

Heh, my guilty pleasure thought lately has been this same thing. I've put in over 100 hours in BF3 now and I'm not great at it but I have been having a ton of fun playing different roles, learning different strategies, and experiencing the awesome teamwork. Surely a mainline game like HaloField wouldn't go over right with a lot of people, but I think an experiment side game or something would be awesome.

Everything, just skin BF3 with Halo.

No way. Make it feel like Halo with look and movement and stuff, but add in Battlefield-esque things like the classes, progression system, weapon unlocks. Make it work with 24-32 players, man I could see that being awesome. Destructible and repairable vehicles, etc. Maybe I'm just day dreaming but it sounds cool in that dream.

Just about every session I play of BF3, there is at least one point at which I am put completely at aw by something that has happened. Be it flying inversely over an enemy jet Top Gun style, dropping C4 on a tank as it rolls over me on a hill, running through a wall with a tank to get a triple splatter kill, or causing facade/tower to fall down and kill people. I feel like I'm a part of the action and I don't care whether my team wins or loses, because the game rewards you for doing your part, no matter what you specialize in. I can go 0-0 and come out MVP. There are just so many small things that can happen that make the game incredibly enjoyable, because the game is so dynamic and there is so much you can do. It is incredibly fun to play for hours on end when you start experiencing stuff like this.

Halo multiplayer has become stale to me in comparison. I always know what is going to happen, what other people are going to do, and I almost always win. Maybe that's because I've been playing for 10 years though, without any drastic changes to the gameplay formula. I don't want Battlefield in my Halo. They are completely different. I want something new out of Halo that gives me the small amounts of sporadic enjoyment that I love. The way I felt in the first few years of Halo 1 lanning when everything happened unexpectedly.

Kind of went off on a tangent there. Not hating on Halo, just saying words.

I rarely agree with your posts around her, but I agree with this one for sure, at least that first part. BF provides such an amazing experience. Once you find your groove of helping your team and playing a role, it doesn't matter how well you are doing K/D wise, its all about pushing forward and doing cool stuff.

Halo does not need to become more like Battlefield. In any capacity. Halo should stay arena-style where individual skill flourishes.

Battlefield is great fun though.

In your opinion eh? Not in everyone's though. I like Halo for Halo, but as seen above, daydreaming about it seems like it could be cool. What about a side game?

Meh, my HaloField thoughts are just experimental and for fun anyway, so whatever.

daedalius

Wow I really don't want to see anything battlefield remotely to do with Halo, other than bigger maps, more players, and more vehicles for BTB.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
*slowclap*

I've decided that this thread sucks without me so I'm posting to make all of your lives much more awesome. You're welcome! lol :p

Actually what happened was I saw how many times I posted in the last Reach thread (RIP) and decided that I wasn't going to spam as much. Which led to not posting at all. lol

Myyke

Neo Member
Heh, my guilty pleasure thought lately has been this same thing. I've put in over 100 hours in BF3 now and I'm not great at it but I have been having a ton of fun playing different roles, learning different strategies, and experiencing the awesome teamwork. Surely a mainline game like HaloField wouldn't go over right with a lot of people, but I think an experiment side game or something would be awesome.

I would love a "HaloField" as an experimental spin-off to the core Halo titles, we've already spun off into RTS with Halo Wars, although I know a "HaloField" might be a bit too close to what the core titles offer.

Still, I would love something in the style of Battlefield - UNSC vs Covenant, both infantry and vehicles. I would gather there are still alot of untold stories from the Human-Covenant war and a game in the style of Battlefield would be a good way to tell them in my opinion.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
I'll just turn around and do it for a couple of times. It's not like it takes a few seconds to turn around.

eh, that *may* help you get around faster, but you'd certainly be at a disadvantage if someone engaged you while you were doing that and you certainly couldnt use that to roll rush someone with a sword or shotgun.

Trey

Consolidate Invasion and BTB into one gametype, improve vehicular combat, add loadouts, increase map size and player count, cook for three minutes.

Halofield.

I'd like to see sprint return in Halo 4, but a little bit reworked. My biggest problem with sprint in Reach is the beatdown rushing. So for Halo 4, there has to be a way to counter it.

My idea would be a stamina/power bar that is tied to your sprinting and beatdown. You can do 2 beatdowns with a full power bar (so one beatdown would take one half of the power bar). That way if you've been sprinting and you try to double beatdown somebody, you won't be able to kill your enemy with 2 beatdowns.

You could tie the power bar to the use of those thrusters in zero-G parts of the campaign and maybe some kind of double jump.

It's kinda similar to Crysis 2's system with the jumping/sprinting/armor/camo.

senador

Banned
Consolidate Invasion and BTB into one gametype, improve vehicular combat, add loadouts, increase map size and player count, cook for three minutes.

Halofield.

Maybe 343 can do this right, but Bungie couldn't. Still, this would be nothing like Battlefield. Thanks for "trying" though.

Trey

Maybe 343 can do this right, but Bungie couldn't. Still, this would be nothing like Battlefield. Thanks for "trying" though.

Great success then, because it would be Halofield. Take some of the elements of Battlefield and apply it to Halo's core gameplay mechanics. That is what you were talking about, no? Because for it to be more like Battlefield, it would have to stop being Halo. And at that point, I would much sooner advise you to go play Battlefield than trying to contort Halo into something it's not.

Overdoziz

Banned
Great success then, because it would be Halofield. Take some of the elements of Battlefield and apply it to Halo's core gameplay mechanics. That is what you were talking about, no? Because for it to be more like Battlefield, it would have to stop being Halo. And at that point, I would much sooner advise you to go play Battlefield than trying to contort Halo into something it's not.
That's the abomination we like to call Invasion.
Come at me Gabo.

Tashi

Sprint melee is a problem because it takes 2 melees to kill someone. That problem was almost completely eradicated in MLG. For some reason in Reach I can't stand the double melee. It just makes me so mad when people don't even try to shoot at you. With the double melee, you almost always have to counter with it so it usually leaves kills being traded. I always try to get the kill and take as little damage as possible.

Trey

Sprint melee is a problem because it takes 2 melees to kill someone. That problem was almost completely eradicated in MLG. For some reason in Reach I can't stand the double melee. It just makes me so mad when people don't even try to shoot at you. With the double melee, you almost always have to counter with it so it usually leaves kills being traded. I always try to get the kill and take as little damage as possible.

Would be better if you could duck/jump over melees. They're too aim-assisted. I don't recall if it's as bad as Halo 2 and 3's lunging melee.

That's the abomination we like to call Invasion.
Come at me Gabo.

I enjoy Invasion when both teams are competent, so yeah.

Tashi

Would be better if you could duck/jump over melees. They're too aim-assisted. I don't recall if it's as bad as Halo 2 and 3's lunging melee.

I enjoy Invasion when both teams are competent, so yeah.

You can duck under melees. Just ask formal lol. As for lunging, I feel like it's been pretty consistent across Halo 2 and 3 and Reach. By consistent I mean that they've all been inconsistent lol. You always wondered how some people can get such far lunges and how sometimes you get no lunges at all. So much of it is just how it feels. I do have to say though, I would rather have the reliable melees of Reach than the unreliable melees of Halo 2. That may have to do with netcode and weaker internet back in 2004. I honestly don't remember the last time I LAN'd Halo 2.

senador

Banned

I described my thoughts in a post above. What I described would not be the Halo you know and love, however, it was just a daydream or a brainstorm, which I also mentioned. No one said you'd be forced to play it, and I mentioned it as a side game. Thank you for advising me to play Battlefield though, I already am. Good lord, did you not read any of what I wrote before replying?

Edit: These thoughts are just for fun, its not like we have anything real to talk about at the time in here...

Trey

I described my thoughts in a post above. What I described would not be the Halo you know and love, however, it was just a daydream or a brainstorm, which I also mentioned. No one said you'd be forced to play it, and I mentioned it as a side game. Thank you for advising me to play Battlefield though, I already am. Good lord, did you not read any of what I wrote before replying?

I assumed what you wanted would be consistent with what Halo currently is, just augmented by some of the awesome that can be found in Battlefield. Considering that this is a thread for discussing Halo, I didn't think any post would advocate making a FPS Halo game that is only Halo in lore and theme, thrown haphazardly upon the glossy, skeletal, bones of another franchise.

I read your post with the "side game" idea, and decided to try to bridge the two franchises in a way that the name Halo still meant something when plastered on the cover of this hypothetical game. That's what "Halofield" would be. But, judging by your following posts, you instead would like a BF3 Halo reskin.

My bad.

You can duck under melees. Just ask formal lol. As for lunging, I feel like it's been pretty consistent across Halo 2 and 3 and Reach. By consistent I mean that they've all been inconsistent lol.

Just goes to show how much I need to go back and play H2 and 3.

These thoughts are just for fun, its not like we have anything real to talk about at the time in here...

It's what we're all doing, talking "fun". Not three pages ago were "Halo dildos" the prominent subject.

No thank you. Halo, at least as an FPS has a few quintessential things that you would be wholesale abandoning. Thought you idea might merit discussion, but if that's your stance...
Just make a visual mod for yourself.

Just now ran into this wall myself. I really must pay more attention.

Tashi

I just got temporarily banned from Matchmaking for the first time. I got the warning 2 days ago and have been getting it each time I signed on to live. I haven't quit out of a match in 2 days either. I just quit out of one and now I'm temporarily banned. I'm just gonna get off anyway, too many foreigners.

Raises shield against EuroGAF

Myyke

Neo Member
I'd like to see sprint return in Halo 4, but a little bit reworked. My biggest problem with sprint in Reach is the beatdown rushing. So for Halo 4, there has to be a way to counter it.

My idea would be a stamina/power bar that is tied to your sprinting and beatdown. You can do 2 beatdowns with a full power bar (so one beatdown would take one half of the power bar). That way if you've been sprinting and you try to double beatdown somebody, you won't be able to kill your enemy with 2 beatdowns.

My viewpoint as a heavily melee orientated player.

The TU bleed-through damage to shields is enough to balance out melee attacks as it stands. Before the TU I could sprint at someone from a significant distance, with them firing at me, and as long as I didn't lose my shields I was pretty much guaranteed a double beat down kill. I have fond memories of this game (check the carnage report), specifically because I remember people complaining that I had "proven how broken Reach was" and someone else taunting that "you're going to absolutely suck when the TU comes out".

I would say that given my playing style I would have had more than most to lose with the TU, but I have adapted to use Melee as it probably should be - as a devastating suprise attack. I have to say that (with TU settings) if you can't put enough damage on a player running up to melee you then that is your problem, not the game's.

I really dislike how everyone is always wishing for Halo to become like other games.

Agreed. I've said it before: one of the last things I'd change about Halo is the gameplay. I think the changes in Reach were too drastic (even though I still love the game with the right settings). What I would change is everything around the gameplay - objective settings, playlist management, trueskill - basically thorough testing and retesting to make sure things like Red team automatically gettings Rockets in the so called hardcore Arena doesn't happen again.

That's not to say that I'm totally opposed to changes and trying new things, just not bullshit, cheese, fair tm, ar buff, armour lock changes.

senador

Banned
I really dislike how everyone is always wishing for Halo to become like other games.

Why? Games evolve and they all borrow ideas from each other.

I'm not necessarily wanting Halo to become something else. I've just been playing a lot of Battlefield and missing Halo and thinking about what a Halo game would be like if the 2 games met. That's all really.

I would love a "HaloField" as an experimental spin-off to the core Halo titles, we've already spun off into RTS with Halo Wars, although I know a "HaloField" might be a bit too close to what the core titles offer.

Still, I would love something in the style of Battlefield - UNSC vs Covenant, both infantry and vehicles. I would gather there are still alot of untold stories from the Human-Covenant war and a game in the style of Battlefield would be a good way to tell them in my opinion.

This sounds kind of what I was thinking. In a perfect world where there was plenty of people playing all games, it sounds like a cool thing to try for a while. I'm talking multi though, didn't really think about a campaign.

Guise, for the next Haloe game, I want it to not be a Haloe game at all. I mean, amirite?
Just get a mix of CoD, BF and Gears!

Oh god, no one ever said this. Its just some harmless discussion. Some of you guys are so uptight.

Gui_PT

Guise, for the next Haloe game, I want it to not be a Haloe game at all. I mean, amirite?
Just get a mix of CoD, BF and Gears!

senador

Banned
Sorry mr touchy. How do you know exactly what I meant with that post though?

Great super powwurz u have

Dp sorry!

Sorry, I don't. I probably overreacted a bit. Just after seeing this, the post above mine, and Letters, some of you are acting like everyone came in here and demanded the game be changed, when really it was just a few of us daydreaming about making another game more Halo like as a spin-off or something.

Edit: So yeah, I kinda did the same thing I accused others of. Sorry. :/

feel

Sorry, I don't. I probably overreacted a bit. Just after seeing this, the post above mine, and Letters, some of you are acting like everyone came in here and demanded the game be changed, when really it was just a few of us daydreaming about making another game more Halo like as a spin-off or something.
After the turd that is Reach with its awful additions from popular games like sprint and grainy/muted/blurry PQ it's understandable for some of us to be touchy on the subject. :p

Trey

No, and you admitted as much:

What I described would not be the Halo you know and love

What you set forth was a game made like Battlefield using Halo units and art style. According to the above quoted, many staple Halo gameplay elements would be absent enough to change the core gameplay feel of the game. This is where I and others take issue. Otherwise, I was receptive to the idea of "Battlefield"ing Halo up some.

My viewpoint as a heavily melee orientated player.

The TU bleed-through damage to shields is enough to balance out melee attacks as it stands. Before the TU I could sprint at someone from a significant distance, with them firing at me, and as long as I didn't lose my shields I was pretty much guaranteed a double beat down kill. I have fond memories of this game (check the carnage report), specifically because I remember people complaining that I had "proven how broken Reach was" and someone else taunting that "you're going to absolutely suck when the TU comes out".

I would say that given my playing style I would have had more than most to lose with the TU, but I have adapted to use Melee as it probably should be - as a devastating suprise attack. I have to say that (with TU settings) if you can't put enough damage on a player running up to melee you then that is your problem, not the game's.

I do agree with you that the bleed-through makes double beatdowning with sprint kinda useless. Before the TU, you were the kind of person I hated the most in Reach :p

But if 343 decides to not put bleed-through in Halo 4 (which seems unlikely to me) and keep sprinting in, then I'd be very unhappy if they won't do enough to balance the melee and sprinting like Bungie did.

those are a lot of ''if's'' :p

senador

Banned
No, and you admitted as much:

What you set forth was a game made like Battlefield using Halo units and art style. According to the above quoted, many staple Halo gameplay elements would be absent enough to change the core gameplay feel of the game. This is where I and others take issue. Otherwise, I was receptive to the idea of "Battlefield"ing Halo up some.

Right, and I haven't contradicted myself. My first post said this. I called it HaloField, and I described what I thought would be cool with classes and weapon unlocks and the whole progression but also adding in more Halo feel too like melee and movement and such. I also mentioned this wouldn't be the core game and that it was just some of what I thought about while playing Battlefield the last months and after playing Reach nonstop since launch.

I'll drop it now though, its much too sensitive around here to have the harmless talk. :p

I don't think we need to change Halo's movement style from the standard set by 1-3. Adding things like sprint and jetpack for Reach was neat but they aren't part of Halo's core elements.

- No sprint. No jetpack. Fast movement, high jump. Nothing more complicated than the movement in Halo 1-3. Press A to jump. Click LS to crouch.

- Remove the AA loadout system. Everyone spawns on equal ground.

- Active Camo and Overshield are powerups on the map like Halo 1-3.

- Bring equipment back (and mix in some AA functionality) but simplify it:

Equipment no longer uses an extra button like in Halo 3 - it behaves just like a weapon now.

You hold X to pick it up, it takes up one of your two weapon slots, you use it with RT. If it's a single-use item you drop it and automatically switch back to your (one) weapon. If it's multi-use you can press Y to switch or hold X to swap with another weapon/item on the ground.

This keeps the added variability of equipment/AAs but forces players to sacrifice one of their weapon slots to carry them around. It might also make equipment more intuitive to use (it's just like a weapon) while freeing up a button on the controller.

What do we get with this extra button? (LB maybe?) INFORMATION

Hold LB for additional HUD info:

- Blue weapon-shaped waypoints appear above power weapon spawn locations with a visual indicator showing how soon that weapon will respawn (or if it just recently respawned). It doesn't give you the exact countdown in seconds, but it does give you a general idea of which power weapon location to head towards next.

- Red triangular waypoints appear above enemies in your teammates' line-of-sight. As soon as the enemy gets behind cover the waypoint disappears. Enemies using the active camo powerup are not spotted (even if moving).

You can still move and fire while holding LB - it doesn't obscure your vision but it does remove your weapon/ammo info, your radar, and your crosshair. (Shield info remains as well as the stylish blue HUD lines.)

You can also press BACK for an overhead map with the same powerweapon info, but that does obscure your vision (and you can't move/aim).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom