• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT10| The Calm Before The Storm

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
True skill makes me think halo 3... And that system was fairly messy compared to halo 2 (there was always movement)

Ramirez

I can't believe no visible true skill. Cunts

laughing.gif

I want ranks as much as the next guy, but this post made me shake my head a little.

L1NETT

God DAMMIT I just read part of the ending on a random youtube video (not even Halo related).

Stay clear guys, stay clear.

---
Check your PM's David.

DopeyFish

Starcraft 2?

That's a godawful system

I was in a bronze, silver, gold and platinum league all at the same time. I played my heart out winning 95% of the games, typically against tougher opponents, played higher level matches... Next season started and after I get my rank I'm in a lower league?

Overdoziz

Banned
Some impressions on Halo 4 Forge from our friend Xx Overkill VR:

Looks like we have new pieces....

That "generating lighting....please wait" is going to be annoying if it happens every time you leave the forgeball
It is very annoying

Erosion's default map is called Ascent and it is honestly a jumbled mess. Rocky terrain where one team starts at the bottom of the hill. The thing is that the map has warthogs on it but there is hardly a path to drive on as it is practically a maze made out of rocks and barricades. Think High Ground but with open fields at each end and a ton of segmentation in the middle. This is a bigger map more akin to Squad gameplay.

Ravine's default map is called Settler and it is a small 2 base open field map on the grass area. Pretty small honestly. I could see 4v4 working fine. The map itself is large in regards to traditional Halo maps but with Halo 4's gameplay it plays smaller b/c it is so open. Ascent is worse b/c it is so segregated and greatly favors the team on top while this is a semi-symmetrical design.

Lastly there is the default map Relay on Impact which we saw in the video released by Gamespot. In it's very description it says that it is an Arena style map so it will be along the lines of what we are looking for when it comes to competitive maps. The map itself is very basic and does absolutely nothing to make it stand out from any amateur forge map. There is really nothing to say about it. Basic donut map but the center is a death trap b/c it is open so people will chill on the sides as well as the bottom. The middle is only used to cross over to the other sides. It is a large octagon shape so its pretty generic. It is actually the best out of the 3 default forge maps by far but that is mostly due to the fact that it is an Arena style map.

They took out precision controls!!!!!!!!

No clicking the right stick to zoom in or clicking the left stick to raise and lower slowly!!!

Honestly I am very, very concerned. The maps are so limiting but I'm hoping that its just the learning process. Can't find any flat grass or land anywhere so there goes any possibility of a Sanc remake.

Tried to scale out a sanc on a very small piece of flat grass i found and every time i try to geo merge it pushes out by itself...........

i swear to god this is a major fucking dick slap in the face to us experienced forgers...

holy fuck

you have no idea how frustrated i am, you would think i would be excited b/c i have the game early but honestly i fear for our survival

Anyone know if you can place power-ups on the map?
Can't

The AAs also have absolutely no identification aside from the jetpack being something that attaches to your back.... there is no light that shows the icon of the AA, just a fucking little piece of armor that looks like debris. The first 3 look unique but then when you go down the list the rest of them look exactly the same so i have no fucking clue how we are supposed to place them on map.

Each time i grab an item it pushes me far away. since there is no way to freehand it is coordinates all the way but i have to let go and fly in closer each time just to see if it is lined up

the items are much better aligned to the coordinate plane so that makes it not so extremely torturous as to where i want to kill myself

FyreWulff

Is he sure the controls didn't just move to another button, and objects actually have to be set to Phased now to be merged in? In Pre-release Reach, you had to manually set all the FW objects to be geomergeable. It was only the final retail release where they were mergeable by default. A bunch of the objects on the disc FW variants have normal physics, so if you go to change parts of Uncaged for example, the block will fly away..

Overdoziz

Banned
Maybe he just doesn't know how to use the new and improved Forge .... ?

Is he sure the controls didn't just move to another button, and objects actually have to be set to Phased now to be merged in? In Pre-release Reach, you had to manually set all the FW objects to be geomergeable. It was only the final retail release where they were mergeable by default. A bunch of the objects on the disc FW variants have normal physics, so if you go to change parts of Uncaged for example, the block will fly away..
He's an experienced Forger so I would assume that he knows what he's doing.

FyreWulff

He has the game early? He must have pirated it.

I'm working off the assumption that he was able to get hands on with a demo station at NYCC, since there was video of him playing H4 there, no?

He's an experienced Forger so I would assume that he knows what he's doing.

If he had only a short time, it could be just not finding controls. It took me a while how to figure out how to raise the Wraith/Ghost noses in Reach because they moved it to RB instead of A on default buttons.

DopeyFish

Already getting bored watching multiplayer.. Gives me a COD feeling with the joining in the middle of the game and how you cant betray team mates lol.

Waaaaaaaaaaaaaat? If this is real, who the fuck do I punch?

Who would even ask for that?

Striker

For the record, I think 1-50 as it appeared in Halo 2/3 is a pretty poor ranking system. It's just better than no ranking.
Those two systems were still quite different, for instance, Halo 2 used ELO.

This is going to be a long few weeks...
I'm sure I'll damper in it, but the surfaces we've seen makes me a bit cautious. Getting a large, flat grass surface was too much of a chore I guess.

Gazzawa

Wallbang Triple!!
Have been staying clear of non Halo 4 stuff on the youtubes.
I will of course watch the reviews when they drop.
Wondering how and when I'll sell my xbox.
Hydra and Zeealin buy my shit!

Hope the leaks haven't scared away too many folks here.

lastttease1.png

No blurring, no pixels. No dongs. Just tease.

So, so soon. It's out of my hands.

You have put out a few pictures, and its like everyone has tried to decide if its Halo 4 related but quickly moved on because it probably isn't, without some background context these pictures aren't teasing anyone.

It's kinda funny that we're getting more direct feed stuff now from leakers than from 343... We still have to rely on off screen stuff from Comic Con etc.

I think 343 took the leaked barn video to heart. At eurogamer at least you had to put the camera at a slight/ awkward angle.

If precision controls are out, I honestly don't know what to say.

Forge sounds like it hasn't had much improvement at all. The lighting effects are nice and actually help the final presentation of the maps. But I hope they didn't remove precision controls because they thought that magnets would be sufficient. Magnets and other tools they gave us to make forging maps easier, to me are not as important as the final presentation of the maps. I do not care how long a map takes to make as long as it looks and play good at the end of the day.

I hope that for H5 on the next xbox we will finally have the tools to change the skins of every object in forge. This is the only thing I want in forge.

You have put out a few pictures, and its like everyone has tried to decide if its Halo 4 related but quickly moved on because it probably isn't without some background context these pictures aren't teasing anyone.
Look, you are meant to be thrilled that Dani has privileged access to something. Why can't you just go along with it and be 'teased', bro??

Pop

You have put out a few pictures, and its like everyone has tried to decide if its Halo 4 related but quickly moved on because it probably isn't without some background context these pictures aren't teasing anyone.

I for one could careless about them. He told us less then a week and we'll know. But it's been a week now.

I assume it has nothing to do with Halo 4.

-----------------

So with all them MP streams not a single guy showed theater. I'm ready to be disappointed with our one man theater again just like with the no skill ranks.

Edit:^^^Day 1 Patch.

Ken

Master Chief finally gets into a university in Halo 4 and spends the game storming libraries and clearing study rooms. 343 Guilty Spark is his roommate going by the blue lights.

At least, that's what 'The University of..." seen in the image would make me think.

No visible TS is learning from other dev's mistakes.
but without it I won't have a good reason to belittle others oops I mean no one will really try to win

fuck smart people and them thinking they know better than the community what with their book learnin' industry experience and statistical aids

i mean just look at every version of windows they're just dumbing it down for plebeians with no skill that can't learn msdos

bungie's been slowing their games down from the beginning, just look at going from gnop to operation desert storm--they took a fast moving ball with clear visible prominent score keeping and replaced it with slow tanks and they removed the laugh from the losing screen to cater to people whose feelings were hurt

it's true what they say history repeats itself and shitty 343 Industries is living proof

Omni

Edit:^^^Day 1 Patch.

Hopefully. Still don't see how they could've overlooked it though.

Anyway. Does anyone know why Forge was outsourced to CA? Was it because at the start of development 343i didn't have enough people?

Look, you are meant to be thrilled that Dani has privileged access to something. Why can't you just go along with it and be 'teased', bro??

With a bit of background context I honestly would be more teased, from the pics I imagine he has landed a Skype interview with 343 - which is fantastic for him, but maybe not so exciting to the rest of us who see 343 do interviews all the time. Posting blurry pictures in a thread where people are hyped for the game itself is just a weird way to piggyback off that hype - especially considering that the product he is hyping is potentially not directly related to the game.

Anyone know if you can place power-ups on the map?
- Can't

The AAs also have absolutely no identification aside from the jetpack being something that attaches to your back.... there is no light that shows the icon of the AA, just a fucking little piece of armor that looks like debris. The first 3 look unique but then when you go down the list the rest of them look exactly the same so i have no fucking clue how we are supposed to place them on map.

That is the worst thing I have read about the new forge.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Denial's a helluva a drug?

If I had to guess, I would say there is absolutely no visible ranking system of any kind in game, but Waypoint stats will be more comprehensive and give you some indication of where you stand.

And I honestly believe 343 are shoehorning this in late on because they suddenly realized an awful lot of people care about this, and it's within their power to make changes to Waypoint and how it crunches numbers from the game at this point, even if it's not within their power to still change the game.

I have been pretty clear for a really long time on the issues with an in-game UI ranking system for a long time. I am not trying to tease or irritate you for the fun of it, but a lot of people have spent considerable time on this issue. The reason we can't be specific right now is that it is in flux and in dev. That's annoying to you guys, but if I say "no" it's as much of an inaccurate statement as if I say "yes." Anyone who thinks based on my prior statements that we were going to have a 1-50 ranking system right in the game UI on day one is probably paying more attention to the subsequent discussions than what I've said. If that were the case, I'd just have said that. This is not a marketing feature, in fact about 99% of people don't care.

But the 1% of people who do care are super important to us, just as much so as any other constituency - and Kevin Franklin and I have been - and continue to work on something useful and deep for a long time. Production realities mean we have to be cautious and coy. That's one of the disadvantages of having a fairly open dialog with the community - is that the upper echelons of that community get exposed to, and care about a lot of the sausage making.

Also Forge guy just doesn't know how to use all the Forge features yet. UI has changed and presumably he's playing with it at NY where you get 15 minutes on a station on an old build - if he's not, then he's a pirate and still hasn't figured out the UI. Forgive me if I don't have any sympathy for him.

Also the guy who called our team the c-word. I get that it's a continuation of the Evilore thread, but come on. I put up with a lot of stuff to stay here and be a part of the community but there's a limit, and I don't think I'm being dainty or sensi. I don't think it's a huge ask to keep it at least borderline civil, salt aside. It's 4:40am and I don't get overtime for this.

Talents

Banned
So I wake up and everyone's raging. Anyone left on team SLRP?

Tbh, I do think people are being a little harsh on 343.

I have been pretty clear for a really long time on the issues with an in-game UI ranking system for a long time. I am not trying to tease or irritate you for the fun of it, but a lot of people have spent considerable time on this issue. The reason we can't be specific right now is that it is in flux and in dev.

Wait, what? The system is still in development?

Can you at least say if we will get news on the system before launch?

heckfu

Banned
So I wake up and everyone's raging. Anyone left on team SLRP?

Tbh, I do think people are being a little harsh on 343.
Quite a few people are left and a lot of people are still slurping but they've also all left to protect themselves from spoilers.

Considering how competitive of a category that is, I'm surprised you're backing that.

I don't forge, so I don't care about the other stuff.

The fact that OS/ CAMO and now even Armour Abilities cant be placed properly hurts me as a player - not just as a forger.

As for Frankies post - that's great news, both from a forge and ranking system perspective. If I am honest I feel like the core gameplay is so good that the ancillary features wont deter me. I mean I played Halo 1 without all that stuff lol. That said it would be nice if its there so hopefully 343 can pull through.

Still gutted about the lack of OS/Camo and crappy AA placement - and 1 man theatre but again still hyped for the core gameplay.

Overdoziz

Banned
Also Forge guy just doesn't know how to use all the Forge features yet. UI has changed and presumably he's playing with it at NY where you get 15 minutes on a station on an old build - if he's not, then he's a pirate and still hasn't figured out the UI. Forgive me if I don't have any sympathy for him.
Please tell me he just hasn't figured out yet how to change the color of entire Forge objects.

I have been pretty clear for a really long time on the issues with an in-game UI ranking system for a long time. I am not trying to tease or irritate you for the fun of it, but a lot of people have spent considerable time on this issue. The reason we can't be specific right now is that it is in flux and in dev. That's annoying to you guys, but if I say "no" it's as much of an inaccurate statement as if I say "yes." Anyone who thinks based on my prior statements that we were going to have a 1-50 ranking system right in the game UI on day one is probably paying more attention to the subsequent discussions than what I've said. If that were the case, I'd just have said that. This is not a marketing feature, in fact about 99% of people don't care.

But the 1% of people who do care are super important to us, just as much so as any other constituency - and Kevin Franklin and I have been - and continue to work on something useful and deep for a long time. Production realities mean we have to be cautious and coy. That's one of the disadvantages of having a fairly open dialog with the community - is that the upper echelons of that community get exposed to, and care about a lot of the sausage making.

Also the guy who called our team the c-word. I get that it's a continuation of the Evilore thread, but come on. I put up with a lot of stuff to stay here and be a part of the community but there's a limit, and I don't think I'm being dainty or sensi. I don't think it's a huge ask to keep it at least borderline civil, salt aside. It's 4:40am and I don't get overtime for this.

But is it really 1% of the people that care about a ranking system? From my experience in Halo 3, more than 1% of the population was playing the ranked playlists instead of the social ones. Maybe you have data that indicates otherwise but for now, I don't buy that only 1% cares about skill rankings.

Ken

But is it really 1% of the people that care about a ranking system? From my experience in Halo 3, more than 1% of the population was playing the ranked playlists instead of the social ones. Maybe you have data that indicates otherwise but for now, I don't buy that only 1% cares about skill rankings.

Just playing in ranked doesn't really mean you have to care about ranking systems. Maybe they just don't want to play with guests.

Top Bottom