• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT10| The Calm Before The Storm

Pop

I think when people first play it, they will enjoy it because it is something new. Same thing happened with Halo Reach and look where that lead us as a community today. 343 didn't really learn from Reach because they pretty much used it as a building block for Halo 4. I am just really disappointed with the MM, but the campaign and SpartanOps look and sound amazing

Took me about 5 matches of the Reach beta to really dislike the game. It was a good way for me to test the game before I bought it, wish the same thing could be said about Halo 4.

Any word on whether Scarabs (if they're in the game) are the shitty automated Reach kind or whether they've returned to the glory of HALO 3's intelligent and interactive Scarabs?

Why the fuck do Grifball and Infection players get special game types that demonstrably took development time to implement... but people who like to play "MLG style" get basic, basic, features that are conducive to a competitive game like flag juggling and red X's over dead teammates REMOVED?

jR4VmfFsAERK2.jpg

Ramirez

The sound is glorious on human weapons, but why do all of the Covenant weapons sound like human rifles now? Kinda lame.

Also, why is the Carbine always getting the nerf D?

Maybe some of this shit's just one big red herring since they anticipated leaks and a day one patch implements a shitload of megatons that they'll cover within the next few weeks.

Ken

Maybe some of this shit's just one big red herring since they anticipated leaks and a day one patch implements a shitload of megatons that they'll cover within the next few weeks.

If they anticipated leaks they should have released a day -24 patch that caused your Spartan to be forced to look down and any shots fired would reflect back into your face.

Denial's a helluva a drug?

If I had to guess, I would say there is absolutely no visible ranking system of any kind in game, but Waypoint stats will be more comprehensive and give you some indication of where you stand.

And I honestly believe 343 are shoehorning this in late on because they suddenly realized an awful lot of people care about this, and it's within their power to make changes to Waypoint and how it crunches numbers from the game at this point, even if it's not within their power to still change the game.

feel

The sound is glorious on human weapons, but why do all of the Covenant weapons sound like human rifles now? Kinda lame.
This! Human rifles sound fantastic here and get me all giddy (and make sense that they sound wildly different because they're different models), but Tojima shouldn't have been allowed to change the super iconic Covie weapons sound style in this radical way. Not only they sound totally different, they sound human like you say. Am disappoint.

Ramirez

This! Human rifles sound fantastic here and get me all giddy (and make sense that they sound wildly different because they're different models), but Tojima shouldn't have been allowed to change the super iconic Covie weapons sound style in this radical way.. Am disappoint.

It's most jarring on the plasma pistol...makes no sense.

I also really hate grenade indicators.

Mhm. This post implies that negative reactions are somehow more truthful than positive ones, which is a bit ridiculous.
No, it implies that any reaction based on a few hours' playtime in an exceptional context (donging on noobs via LAN with the sainted developers whispering in your ear) is likely to be less accurate than one formed over months of play across Live.

nomis

On Oddball:

"Let's implement ball throwing! Think of all the teamwork possibilities it would open up!"

On CTF:

"Let's glue the flag to the player's hands when they touch it."

"We should also give them the bloomiest weapon in the sandbox to try and make clutch kills with when no one is supporting them, instead of letting them momentarily drop the flag to use a power weapon in their pocket."

My doctor says my diet is too high in sodium.

The guy on this latest stream is at SR21 already. Seems, uh, quick. Does this mean the later ranks are billions of XP apart again, to keep players 'invested'?

Edit: he'd also just unlocked an achievement for winning 20 War Games, so... win 20 War Games, blaze through half the pre-specialization levels?

Pop

Denial's a helluva a drug?

If I had to guess, I would say there is absolutely no visible ranking system of any kind in game, but Waypoint stats will be more comprehensive and give you some indication of where you stand.

And I honestly believe 343 are shoehorning this in late on because they suddenly realized an awful lot of people care about this, and it's within their power to make changes to Waypoint and how it crunches numbers from the game at this point, even if it's not within their power to still change the game.

Probably Right.

Hell I have a 100 BPR rating or whatever it's called. It's just too easy to obtain and if that's H4 *skill placement* then I will be severely disappointed. Halo 4 has got to match appropriately to skill level. I hope guest aren't allowed in the majority of playlist.

Edit:^^^Most likely

Pop

Man, the game looks like a ton of fun, 3 weeks. :(

It really does look great. Gives me back my Halo 3 vibes.

I'm just super disappointed in the no skill ranks. I'll play Halo 4 if it's super fun but ranks gave me an incentive to try my hardest to win. I loved gaining ranks and absolutely hated losing them but that just kept me trying harder to achieve 50. Let me say though Halo 4 looks awesome and I'm sure it will be a blast. However after that honeymoon feeling disappears my incentive to play will most likely drop just like Reach. Ranks were a blast to achieve.

zap

At least we have good gameplay and no ranks, rather than ranks but bad gameplay.

I would have prefered both though. Surely ranks could be patched in, right?

FyreWulff

I think you're missing the point a bit; people don't "deserve" anything. But the reality is that those playlists as being on the final disc is what's making the rounds, and is leading to a lot of very negative reactions. And if day one playlists are still in flux (which would be very concerning to me for different reasons) they can just do what I posted and outright say "Playlists on November 6th have not been finalized and are subject to change" and be done with it. The longer they continue to not address, the more negative opinion solidifies. Also the longer they wait, the more likely it is that people who have already seen this info will miss any sort of update, and those people will take the current information as day one fact. I personally know people that would fall into that camp if I wasn't updating them.

Playlists aren't hard coded on the disk, nor require a title update to refresh. Every time you log in to 3, Reach, and (most assuredly) 4, your Xbox redownloads the playlist data once changes go out.

Every map variant and gametype you'll ever play in matchmaking actually reside on your hard drive. The host in a session is actually what chooses the gametype, not a central server.

Just dropped in for a second. So they're still working on the ranking system? Called it.

Edit: I read back a little more...biggest blow to the gut I've had while keeping up with the game. Why can't devs learn from other devs mistakes?

No visible TS is learning from other dev's mistakes.

Ken

By visible ranks do you guys mean the ones from Halo 2 (1-50) and not the ones in Reach and 3 that were just military ranks? Obviously I'm completely lost in the whole ranks debate but since it's been the subject for the past like 5 pages I guess I should be educated.

CyReN

I had no idea visible ranks were so important to people. Or whatever we're talking about.

They are a pretty big part.

I avoided tweeting out the news on THC twitter in fear of what people would send to 343 staff. Guess we'll wait and see what's coming up.

----
egl

d4d925b015d711e29bea22000a1e8b98_7.jpg

Cow

By visible ranks do you guys mean the ones from Halo 2 (1-50) and not the ones in Reach and 3 that were just military ranks? Obviously I'm completely lost in the whole ranks debate but since it's been the subject for the past like 5 pages I guess I should be educated.

1-50

Pop

Do you know the RANKED part of H3 that put you in 1-50 rank level. Ya, that one.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
So no MP ViDoc I take it? Didn't see any new Halo threads.

It doesn't look like it. I asked twice but everyone was too consumed in advocating piracy

So I would assume we get to see it in about 7 hours when the rest of the stream goes live or they cut it from that and post it next bulletin.

Top Bottom