• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT10| The Calm Before The Storm

I have a feeling this OT is gonna have a lot of ups and downs and all arounds. People are getting antsy, I can feel the anticipation creeping in!

Kibbles

:')

iboBGhomnuG1A8.gif

heckfu

Banned
Does HaloGAF still do weekly customs? I wanted to jump back into Reach before 4 comes out.

This me being completely genuine - Reach is broken and if you're looking to get back 'into' something, I would just wait until 4 comes out. Reach has left a bad taste in my mouth and I've played thousands of matches.

But to answer your question, we haven't had a scheduled customs like the old times in a while. Keep checking back though as the impromptu ones are posted many times to try and get players.

Tawpgun

Still would rather have the ordnance meter show a point value. It's kind of ambiguous now. Maybe we'll get used to it.

Enfinit

I wonder if this means Activision said no to Marathon? Wasn't that what people speculated he was working on?

No one knows what he was working on, however he came back to Bungie initially to work on it. Now that he's leaving (again), one would have to assume that whatever he was working on is complete.

Hype starting to rise?

No one knows what he was working on, however he came back to Bungie initially to work on it. Now that he's leaving (again), one would have to assume that whatever he was working on is complete.

Hype starting to rise?

I wouldn't assume that...
1. Project could have been abandon
2. Bungie team did not agree so Marcus left
3. Huge amounts of money or lifestyle perks could have been thrown at Marcus to leave

I was thinking about matchmaking...why can't they match you up with other players after the map gametype/map comes up? That way you would have options where you could check exactly what gametype/map you're looking for and it would pop you over to the quickest game that matched it. If you got too specific, sure it may take a while, but if you selected something like "4v4 infinity slayer" and "Haven" you'd probably get into a game in no time. I know this has already been discussed ad nauseum, but it just seems like such a better system. I still think Halo has always done matchmaking quite well, but you'd think they would realize how many limitations there are with playlists.

Edit: I think this would be especially useful for a community map playlist. If/when they have one, it will probably be 1 playlist with all different gametypes. Those maps will add a ton of variety but I probably won't go to it if it cycles between gametypes that I don't care for.

Ryaaan14

Banned
I set up a q&d google spreadsheet on HBO so we could try and set up trades for pre-order stuff

Example Screenshot:

I included all the ingame items I could think of
(save some emblems)

Anyways I set one up for "us" here aswell, if it shows any promise Ill bridge them and hopefully we can set up some nice trades

quote for the link

That's awesome. Good going man. Takes a lot of the pre-order woes away.

m23

I just hope we get a Team Slayer variant without Personal Ordnance, that will be my go to playlist. Sure I'll try out Infinity, but good old slayer is Halo to me.

Naded just said the last map would be great for competitive players. via stream

I thought one of the maps was supposed to be 'the biggest halo map ever'? It doesn't seem any of the revealed maps fit that description.. they all seem medium-large at best. That said, I would love for another medium-small symmetrical map. But I also want a huge map with Mammoths.

G17

Picture from marathon.bungie.org. Last time he left he was planning to do other games.. I wonder if that's still the reason.

v8gxa.jpg

I joined XBox Live the day after Halo 2 came out, I've played each release religiously, and I'd say I'm fairly competent at the game.

But can someone explain to me (like I'm five) how to properly use the Battle Rifle? I stayed away from it in every single game because I'm so awful with it.

I thought one of the maps was supposed to be 'the biggest halo map ever'? It doesn't seem any of the revealed maps fit that description.. they all seem medium-large at best. That said, I would love for another medium-small symmetrical map. But I also want a huge map with Mammoths.

I'm betting they meant Meltdown or one of the other revealed ones.

I joined XBox Live the day after Halo 2 came out, I've played each release religiously, and I'd say I'm fairly competent at the game.

But can someone explain to me (like I'm five) how to properly use the Battle Rifle? I stayed away from it in every single game because I'm so awful with it.
Any headshot capable weapon simply requires you to be on target and land all of your shots on the head. It's extremely simple and easy in theory but a lot harder to do when someone's gotten the jump on you, you're being teamshot, you've run up on someone with a power weapon, etc. Context separates the pros from the bks.

JHall

Put the cursor on the opposing player.

Pull trigger.

Profit?

DesertFox

I was thinking about matchmaking...why can't they match you up with other players after the map gametype/map comes up? That way you would have options where you could check exactly what gametype/map you're looking for and it would pop you over to the quickest game that matched it. If you got too specific, sure it may take a while, but if you selected something like "4v4 infinity slayer" and "Haven" you'd probably get into a game in no time. I know this has already been discussed ad nauseum, but it just seems like such a better system. I still think Halo has always done matchmaking quite well, but you'd think they would realize how many limitations there are with playlists.

Edit: I think this would be especially useful for a community map playlist. If/when they have one, it will probably be 1 playlist with all different gametypes. Those maps will add a ton of variety but I probably won't go to it if it cycles between gametypes that I don't care for.

This is actually quite brilliant. There wouldn't be any playlists to have to manage populations. In a sense it would be like a server browser, but without having to worry about empty servers. This seems like the next logical evolution of matchmaking. Everybody gets to play what they want, and devs dont have to manage playlists.

nillapuddin

That's awesome. Good going man. Takes a lot of the pre-order woes away.

Thanks dude, glad you like it

Ill bring it up every now and again so hopefully a buncha us can fill it out and everyone can get the goodies they want without ebay'ing

-----------------

quote for HaloGAF Preorder trading spreadsheet

Yeah 1.5 was Live exclusive. I have no freaking idea how he got 1.5 on a Slim after OXbox Live went down, unless there was a window where attempting to connect still updated Halo 2.

Either way he should be able to acquire and use Tombstone and Desolation if H2 says it's 1.5

updates should have been

the one right after launch - to fix matchmaking

the big update - the one that changed most of halo 2's weapons and enabled DLC. This is the one on the map pack disc. (this is 1.1)

the update that included the fix for the teleporter bug on relic right after all the maps were out (this is 1.2)

the update that enabled Tombstone and Desolation (1.5)
Tombstone and Desolation work on the 1.1 update too. Just not the 1.2 update.

Top Bottom