• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT10| The Calm Before The Storm

I have to say I'm a little disappointed that this forge space is human again. I wish it was one human space, one forerunner space, and one covenant space. Or even better, let us use all the items in each space. And change their colors

Redford

aka Cabbie
Hmmm, the default map looks like Wizard and Foundation.

The new skyboxes and themes are enough for me, forge looks great.

I think someone at 343 already said the ugly Forge maps would be in their own playlists.

I could just be making that up to make myself feel better about never having to play these things again. Reach scarred me for life, man.

Microsoft updates it's Game Content Usage Rules - You can NO LONGER legally monetize Halo footage on YouTube.

So, Microsoft wants to give the community the tools to advertise and promote Halo 4, but they don't want to give the community the tools to support themselves while they do it? Lawyers are the WORST
I'm looking at you, Elzar

Tawpgun

I just don't think changing colors is going to make a difference. Imagine being able to make these white structures blue or red or green and putting them together side by side. The contrast is going to look horrible no matter what you do. The only way I see different colors looking good is if it's a lighting filter or completely different looking textures/models.

I agree that making them be able to be solid colors would look kind of dumb.

But there needs to be an easy, clear way to be able to distinguish one side from another. Bungie/343 have used lighting, scenery, art, color, etc.

As a Forge hater I must say that the new environments look better, the pieces look somewhat better, and the lighting is great and will really help.

But this just has me disappointed. This video seemed to suck all the magic out of Halo 4. So empty and lifeless. It still looks one solid color and boring. I appreciate what they've done, but bah what a turn off.

I really hope Forge maps are pushed aside to their own playlist (we sort of know this) and I hope to play then as minimally as possible. User created maps are just not fun for me to play on. I'll maintain that Forge is great for customs, mini games, and the Forgers themselves, while it totally sucks for everyone else.

Yup.

Man.. I wish they had more custom lighting options at least. Like the light orbs, only more developed with more options.. That would help a bit also.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
I just don't think changing colors is going to make a difference. Imagine being able to make these white structures blue or red or green and putting them together side by side. The contrast is going to look horrible no matter what you do. The only way I see different colors looking good is if it's a lighting filter or completely different looking textures/models.

Not if you put blocks in the center, like white, which are neutral to both red and blue

Also

Forge sucks

I want to make my own geometry, damnit. I hate, nay, LOATHE using preset pieces. It's so difficult making a proper flowing map within the forge environment.

They are taking away my ability to make my money on JTv!? NO1! Late night w/ Juices was the only reason I could afford such nice things!

I just don't think changing colors is going to make a difference. Imagine being able to make these white structures blue or red or green and putting them together side by side. The contrast is going to look horrible no matter what you do. The only way I see different colors looking good is if it's a lighting filter or completely different looking textures/models (which in a way I guess is what you were saying now that I read it again).

They aren't saying it will make the maps more aesthetically pleasing necessarily, just that it will make maps easier to navigate and do callouts. It also allows you to figure out your position on a map quicker from spawn.

Overdoziz

Banned
I just don't think changing colors is going to make a difference. Imagine being able to make these white structures blue or red or green and putting them together side by side. The contrast is going to look horrible no matter what you do. The only way I see different colors looking good is if it's a lighting filter or completely different looking textures/models (which in a way I guess is what you were saying now that I read it again).
Having a color wheel/slider would be the best solution. That way you can make subtle changes to the aesthetics which can make a big difference. Only having the colors that are also available for your Spartan's armor wouldn't work that well.

They aren't saying it will make the maps more aesthetically pleasing necessarily, just that it will make maps easier to navigate and do callouts. It also allows you to figure out your position on a map quicker from spawn.

That makes me wonder if you'll be able to name certain areas of the map. That would fix that problem.

These new content rules are annoying; hopefully the community will voice their opinion.

The on disc prebuilt forge map actually looks good and I can't believe I am saying this, but I would like to play it in MM>

Having a color wheel/slider would be the best solution. That way you can make subtle changes to the aesthetics which can make a big difference. Only having the colors that are also available for your Spartan's armor wouldn't work that well.

Perhaps for you and me but that is blissflly ignoring the development process.

These new content rules are annoying; hopefully the community will voice their opinion.

The on disc prebuilt forge map actually looks good and I can't believe I am saying this, but I would like to play it in MM>

Said this already, but I would appreciate one variant of each forge environment in matchmaking to increase the shipping map count.

So I'm going to focus on some dishonored before I dive first and never come back from the depths of the new forge stuff. Analyzation delayed... but totally pumped from the video. :)

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
I have to say I'm a little disappointed that this forge space is human again. I wish it was one human space, one forerunner space, and one covenant space. Or even better, let us use all the items in each space. And change their colors

Technically the first forge space is Forerunner right? It's not human. So we now have one Forerunner, one human. I'm hoping the third is Covenant.

Said this already, but I would appreciate one variant of each forge environment in matchmaking to increase the shipping map count.
I'm for that as well.

Are you talking about the hoodie who is in my baggage? It is fantastic. Biggy's girlfriend wants to steal it and blackmail me for chocolate.

Hyper you already posted that you had a hoodie. Read the thread before you post.
Glad you finally have one

So any thoughts on what the last environment will be?

Fuchsdh

I'm for that as well.

Hyper you already posted that you had a hoodie. Read the thread before you post.
Glad you finally have one

So any thoughts on what the last environment will be?
Well having it be Covenant so that there were Forge maps that had a completely different look than the on disc developer maps would be smart to me.

I was wowed by the environment, but little else.

What I liked:

• UNSC palette looks fairly interesting, happy to see that Foundry's influence is nowhere to be found with the human theme.
  • New lighting system will hopefully make things less of an eyesore to play on.
  • Player trait zones seem like a real boon to the custom gametype community.

What I'm less than pleased about:

• More monochrome pieces, really? All we have to go on at this moment is knowing that the lights in H3 and Reach totally destroyed framerate. This first look gives us no indication that we'll be able to give these pieces individuality and easy-to-define areas of a map.
  • Player trait zones seem too niche to talk about right away. Can't really see any practical applications for a competitive map in matchmaking; I've never seen anyone who didn't abhor the low-g map sections in Reach.
  • The Reach pieces returning, albeit re-skinned. I don't want to remember Reach after Halo 4 comes out, and this won't help.

Looking forward to more Forge info to allay any fears that I currently have.

Bsigg12

But we've already seen this map...

Yea because GAF figured out where ign was keeping their videos. IGN is going through each map, in what seems to be no particular order, so we'll see each map with the developer commentary again since most of us have already seen them

I like that you can use a player trait zone to adjust shield recharge rate AND delay, as well as turn fall damage on or off. More options to help tune things for "classic" customs.

Also looks like you can still place Armor Abilities as object pickups, if I'm not mistaken.

Well having it be Covenant so that there were Forge maps that had a completely different look than the on disc developer maps would be smart to me.

I want a Covenant map but I also want a human map on Earth with buildings. I want to make maps like Turf and District.

Player trait zones seem too niche to talk about right away. Can't really see any practical applications for a competitive map in matchmaking; I've never seen anyone who didn't abhor the low-g map sections in Reach.

I'd imagine they'd reduce the need for those grav lifts that you see on The Pit and other MLG maps. Less rendering in that regard I believe so performance wise it sounds like an improvement.

Kyle finally got his 4v4 small arena map.

343 is playing a cruel joke on him by making it a forge map.

It looks so great, I really don't get why there aren't more maps like this. How they could make Adrift, a map with a bunch of boxy compartments, and not this arena style map with obstacles galore, kind of boggles the mind.

Top Bottom