• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT10| The Calm Before The Storm

Forward unto Dawn Avatar items

Oh, and this

thumblg.png

It looks so great, I really don't get why there aren't more maps like this. How they could make Adrift, a map bunch of boxy compartments, and not this arena style map with obstacles galore, kind of boggles the mind.

Haha yeah. I have no idea. No doubt this new one will be a MLG map though.

Yep, I also hoped for a Urban canvas.

So the third Forge Canvas will probably be the Map that was used for the Grifball video right?
Urban canvas is a good way to describe it. That would be so cool. I'd love to build little city maps that look like New Mombassa with paved roads and all.

Also, link? I thought that was the first environment.

I would love custom preview pics.

Pls.
It would help out MM voting so much.

feel

Having a color wheel/slider would be the best solution. That way you can make subtle changes to the aesthetics which can make a big difference. Only having the colors that are also available for your Spartan's armor wouldn't work that well.
I think that when someone brings up color customization, most people just imagine a bunch of wildly different colored pieces slapped together, but the truth is that the best forgers would use that new possibility with a lot of subtlety in the color transitions making sure it wouldn't be jarring to the eye exploring the place.

zlatko

Banned
Are you talking about the hoodie who is in my baggage? It is fantastic. Biggy's girlfriend wants to steal it and blackmail me for chocolate.

I'll take anything. All you can buy on waypoint is the costumes for blue/red spartan, and a wallet. That is weak sauce. Plus Bungie has switched their store to entirely aero space stuff so no more Halo shirts of any kind on there.

Bsigg12

I'm really hoping they throw a curve ball and tell us that for object theme sets are a selectable option before starting to forge on a map. So say you pick this map background but are able to place the Forerunner objects.

Louis Wu

So... I'm not sure how many of you have already signed up for KontrolFreek's latest contest - but by liking their Facebook page, you put yourself in the running for a Halo 4 LE 360, or one of 5 wireless Halo 4 controllers. (This is open to anyone in any country, 16 or older - it's not US-only!) The reason I'm posting it is because they've got a secondary contest going; when you sign up, you're asked where you heard about it, and the community with the most referrals gets ANOTHER 360 bundle to give away. HBO is in the running to win this (though we're not currently on top) - we need more votes! So sign up, and I might be able to give you a SECOND chance to win a 360. :)

(Contest ends this Sunday.)

Halo 4 Forge looks like an inprovement over Reach.

I'll give them that.

I hope the next step/halo 5 allows for custom ground.

So... I'm not sure how many of you have already signed up for KontrolFreek's latest contest - but by liking their Facebook page, you put yourself in the running for a Halo 4 LE 360, or one of 5 wireless Halo 4 controllers. (This is open to anyone in any country, 16 or older - it's not US-only!) The reason I'm posting it is because they've got a secondary contest going; when you sign up, you're asked where you heard about it, and the community with the most referrals gets ANOTHER 360 bundle to give away. HBO is in the running to win this (though we're not currently on top) - we need more votes! So sign up, and I might be able to give you a SECOND chance to win a 360. :)

Way ahead of you. I have to give credit to my favorite halo website with a geocities looking pre-ice age forum.

Pop

Certainly looks that way, unless that cave is part of the first forge environment we saw.

Certainly looks like it's underground or inside the side of the mountain judging by the light. But it also looks like the walls are brown color, so Frankie plz...

I think that when someone brings up color customization, most people just imagine a bunch of wildly different colored pieces slapped together, but the truth is that the best forgers would use that new possibility with a lot of subtlety in the color transitions making sure it wouldn't be jarring to the eye exploring the place.

I still think subtle changes in color could be awkward when its the exact same textures involved. If you just have a blank white texture with some blue lining like in the new forge, and try to alter it, its going to look like variants of construction paper. A solid light blue next to a solid white would still look funky.

Small Thursday War spoilers:

Halo 4 Terminal:
Jul ‘Mdama

Check out this video prologue for Halo 4’s Domain Terminals.

Jul ‘Mdama
arrives at Requiem.

Halo 4 will be released on November 6, 2012 for the Xbox 360.

heckfu

Banned

Will you check your PMs friend?

Raide

Grrr...they are still doing dumb stuff with Forge that should have been fixed/changes ages ago. Lighting is a step up but they are refusing to give Forgers more freedom to make what they want, where they want it.

Dynamic Lighting only seems to apply to forge pieces, too, not player models.

So if you walk into a 'shadowy' area, you still retain the same lighting as if you were in the sun.... or so it seems based on that video.
lame.

More than likely intentional in both design and implementation to stop players from becoming too hidden.

Sorry, I edited the post, but the spoilers are super minor. I didn't think about it til afterwards since it is literally frontpaged at waypoint with that title.

feel

Halo 4 Terminal:
Jul ‘Mdama

Jul ‘Mdama
arrives at Requiem.

Sweeet! Quality seems like a decent step up from Anniversary.

I wonder if the Spartan Ops episodes are made in this same style.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
i think this may have been the terminal frankie wanted to show maybe? during eurogamer he said he missed a vignette and it would be available later

CyReN

Sent out a tweet, you guys better win!

-----
New terminal video looks GOOD.

Raide

Why would they refuse to give Forgers more freedom to make what they want, where they want it? Are they just lousy bastards?

I know I will spend hours and hours with Forge and I know ForgeGAF will be all over it but why they keep doing little nudges to Forge and not a full awesome update, it confusing to me.

So what I gathered from that prologue is that some covies knew about requiem during the war and went there only to find the humans. So, essentially these covies don't know the war is over?

Spoilers so people don't whine.

i think this may have been the terminal frankie wanted to show maybe? during eurogamer he said he missed a vignette and it would be available later

Nah, right after those watchers that he was battling was a small skirmish
between Elites on ghosts and a Knight who knocks one of them off, killing him.
When Josh Holmes did they playthrough he got there in time, it was pretty cool. It was in line with the moments in Halo 3 where brutes were killing marines in a small scripted way.

Gray Man

Banned
So what I gathered from that prologue is that some covies knew about requiem during the war and went there only to find the humans. So, essentially these covies don't know the war is over?

Spoilers so people don't whine.

I think it would be pretty hard to be that oblivious that the war was over.

Dynamic Lighting only seems to apply to forge pieces, too, not player models.

So if you walk into a 'shadowy' area, you still retain the same lighting as if you were in the sun.... or so it seems based on that video.
lame.

Disappointing indeed. Unless its only a preview and 343 already fix that.

Halo 4 Terminal:
Jul ‘Mdama

Jul ‘Mdama
arrives at Requiem.

They keep the CEA terminals Style huh?

That terminal is interesting considering who makes an appearance. Because, at this point in The Thursday War,
Jul's locked up on Trevelyan.

It's a cool terminal, but it does raise one question: If
Jul
wants no human near Requiem, why not just destroy the human ship? Why board it? Or is that later revealed in TTW?

GEOCITIES? Why, I oughtta...

(Thanks. :) )

Re: Halo 4 Terminal... since when did the Sangheili language sound Japanese?
Did they ever say something different as "wort wort wort" in the past Halos? In Halo: Legends, the Elite cultures were shown with a huge resemblance of the Japanese samurai culture. Maybe they stay to that.

Top Bottom