• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT11| Forward Unto Dong

Status
Not open for further replies.
Blame Microsoft.
Eh, I don't think it's fair to blame just Microsoft, bits lie at everyones feet.
So when does the MLG streaming start for this weekend? Maybe I should just go visit their website.
Two or three hours I think. But not sure how good the content will be today.

-------------------------------------------------------------------
The quality and detail of the FUD Chief Vs The Hunter is great, but I don't have any affinity to the scene, so I think I'll hold off.
However, does anyone know where I can get one of these - The Weta Cortana Statues?
Now that I have a steady income, it's time to buy that statue I've wanted for 5 years.

IHaveIce

Banned
Halo 4 Mainstage

A6tr38iCIAAsMb9.jpg:large
God this is awful .. it looks like it doesn't even belong to the event :/

Wow, good job 343, RIP, cancer with 14.. that is just really sad, I mean cancer is sad in every age, but still..

Enfinit

That FUD episode was just... terrible.

I'm shocked.

Worse than any of the previous ones.
The great acting that we saw earlier? Gone.
The great scripting? Gone.
Plus,
Chyler's death was so poorly staged. When did she get hit? With what? We're not shown. The area of her body that took the hit wasn't even exposed. She was a much better character than say, JJ, and she got a horribly cheesy death.
Just bad.

The level of acting was never that great to begin with (well, not Oscar-worthy). The script for FUD: Part 5 had its cheesy moments, but it concluded the series well.

Also,
Chyler got it with a needle from a Jackal during the chase. The camera cuts to her lower left abdomen which shows a glowing needle shard at 3:37. She was hit at 2:28, when Lasky hit the Jackal with the Warthog. You can here a Needle fire as the Jackal flies over. She was fine before Lasky hit the Jackal, and hit after, so it's indicated that the single fire from the hit Jackal's Needler was the shot that hit Chyler. Thus, we are shown. Just subtly.

As far as her death goes, I wouldn't say it was cheesy, just stereotypical. The love interest of the main protagonist dies, thus propelling the protagonist to perform an act of heroics in his/her honor. It's story telling 101.

Zoolader

So how lucky am I, just stroll into Gamestop just 10 minutes ago and reserve their one extra LE copy they received with their preorders of Halo 4. Dude even showed me the LE box and put my name and number on it, since the computer system won't even let them add any more preorders for LE.

edit: the first chick at the counter turned me down but the manager popped out from the back of the store and heard me wanting Halo 4 LE, came to my rescue.

The level of acting was never that great to begin with (well, not Oscar-worthy). The script for FUD: Part 5 had its cheesy moments, but it concluded the series well.

Also,
Chyler got it with a needle from a Jackal during the chase. The camera cuts to her lower left abdomen which shows a glowing needle shard at 3:37. She was hit at 2:28, when Lasky hit the Jackal with the Warthog. You can here a Needle fire as the Jackal flies over. She was fine before Lasky hit the Jackal, and hit after, so it's indicated that the single fire from the hit Jackal's Needler was the shot that hit Chyler. Thus, we are shown. Just subtly.

As far as her death goes, I wouldn't say it was cheesy, just stereotypical. The love interest of the main protagonist dies, thus propelling the protagonist to perform an act of heroics in his/her honor. It's story telling 101.

Storytelling 101= happy ending.
Killing the romantic interest of the protagonist just pisses people off in most cases.
And if Chyler took a single needle in a nonvital area, how on earth does she die, especially that quickly? It's just an infuriating, unnecessary plot device.

neoism

Killing the romantic interest of the protagonist just pisses people off in most cases.
And if Chyler took a single needle in a nonvital area, how on earth does she die, especially that quickly? It's just an infuriating, unnecessary plot device.

the last ep was on legendary:p

Ken

So how lucky am I, just stroll into Gamestop just 10 minutes ago and reserve their one extra LE copy they received with their preorders of Halo 4. Dude even showed me the LE box and put my name and number on it, since the computer system won't even let them add any more preorders for LE.

edit: the first chick at the counter turned me down but the manager popped out from the back of the store and heard me wanting Halo 4 LE, came to my rescue.

Lucky. I was thinking about going in and seeing if my Gamestop could upgrade my standard preorder to a LE but I doubt it.

zethren

Banned

The needle looked like it was in her gut. Cue massive internal bleeding. I'd say it was understandable how she died from such a wound.

For those that bought HD for Halo 4:

"HD Pass Holders: Unfortunately due to technical issues DVR will not be working today. We apologize & are working on a solution. Stay tuned."

I wonder if this applies to their late-night replays as well?

Hopefully not, because that would be just another nail in the coffin of MLG Dallas Halo for me :(

Bsigg12

MS: "We want x amount of monies and full creative control"
Studios: "lol, no"
Blomkamp: "Fuck this, I'm making my own scifi's"

Not entirely accurate but close enough.

Do you think it's wrong for Microsoft to protect an IP that has been one of the biggest franchises in gaming to date? If they want to go big, they're going to make sure it's done right. Hollywood doesn't work that way though, and Microsoft found that out when they started talking to the different studios.

The needle looked like it was in her gut. Cue massive internal bleeding. I'd say it was understandable how she died from such a wound.

As I recall, projectile wounds to the abdomen don't cause an unusually large amount of internal bleeding. Internal bleeding occurs, of course, but the primary danger is the release of toxins from the intestines and acid from the stomach into the abdominal cavity. Medics do not let soldiers who have been gutshot drink water because of this, it would help spread the toxins. This usually means a slow, painful death, not Chyler's which took all of 10 seconds.

bobs...

Is this even a question? Get the standard, the game is all that matters, the rest is fluff.

To be fair its the cost and journey time that's putting me off - plus I have no way of getting the specializations and stuff in the UK otherwise - could wait a few days to get the superior version for the same price point then have the pay off of more perks to destroy people with a week down the line.

Still so tempted to just go pick it up though. :/

Bsigg12

FUD Spoilers

It's the same as getting shot in the thoracic region of the body with a gun. Regardless that there are ways to survive, if you aren't treated soon enough, you'll bleed out internally. I'm an EMT, I've seen it a few times when we arrived at a scene.

If they would have made it to the pelican sooner, or just straight up didn't have to stop, she would have been fine, but they wasted too much time after the hog got taken out and the Hunters came.

Woorloog

Banned
As I recall, projectile wounds to the abdomen don't cause an unusually large amount of internal bleeding. Internal bleeding occurs, of course, but the primary danger is the release of toxins from the intestines and acid from the stomach into the abdominal cavity. Medics do not let soldiers who have been gutshot drink water because of this, it would help spread the toxins. This usually means a slow, painful death, not Chyler's which took all of 10 seconds.
You forget needler's projectiles explode... it may have been partially exploded. Or at least spread micro-shrapnel inside her.

zethren

Banned

Oh, that's very interesting.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
I don't get it... is Waypoint integrated into the game this time?

Actually yes, more or less - you select it from the main menu and "go" there, but don't have to exit to the Dash. And you can go straight back into the main game menu from Waypoint.

IHaveIce

Banned

Yes!
Smartglass for the win. I guess I'll have the app running at all times on my phone/tablet when this becomes available.

DOUBLE YES.

Actually yes, more or less - you select it from the main menu and "go" there, but don't have to exit to the Dash. And you can go straight back into the main game menu from Waypoint.

Oh that's cool.

Woorloog

Banned

I assume there is still loading involved?

You can do this currently in Anniversary and Reach, no? Both have Waypoint menu option, and you can launch games from Waypoint assuming GoD version or disc inserted, IIRC.

Anything could happen in the future.

Assume my Flood is, uh, smiling, not being bloodthirsty.

Enfinit

Killing the romantic interest of the protagonist is meant to stir emotion from the audience, whether that be pissing people off, making them saddened, or causing distress. For example, it pissed you off, thus the literary tool did its job correctly.

As far as Chyler's wound goes, we have no indication of the severity of the wound. She could have had a variety of damages, ranging from massive external bleeding, massive internal bleeding, shrapnel from a needle detonation (like someone said), major organ puncture, etc. The glimpse we had at her wound area is too broad, it's tough to determine what it hit and the damage it did from the one second glance we had at it. All we know is that it was fatal.

When it comes down to it, it's still just a web series. I fear we're looking into this too much.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom