• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT11| Forward Unto Dong

Status
Not open for further replies.

FyreWulff

Agreed.

The competitive community should decide on settings, not just Anakin. Why can't MLG use settings chosen by the competitive community?

MLG has outright said before that they want to be the only game in town.

This is why they have to get scraps like Soul Calibur and Mortal Kombat for their fighting game tournaments instead of Street Fighter because Capcom specifically doesn't let MLG broadcast their fighting games to protect the small FGC leagues.

Allowing the community to come up with stuff is the antithesis of their goal - they want people to play the MLG branded gametype and they want people to only want to play the MLG branded gametype. The H3 and Reach playlists were controlled from the top down by one person. And since they're no longer running tourneys, the hardcore playlists they were gifted in previous Halos just sits there, rotting, even though a bunch of hardcore community members want to refresh it and update it with new maps and gametypes.

I wish we could just play Halo 4 competitively instead of trying to forge it into one of its predecessors.
This is the direction Halo is going. It is time for us to embrace it, or find a different game.
It is awesome that so many different types of gameplay can created in the Halo sandbox, but those communities will always be isolated from the larger population.
If we want a bigger competitive Halo 4 scene, we need to play Halo 4.
If we want to remake the gameplay Halo CE or Halo 2 that is fine, but it will be a much smaller audience.
And I know that isn't what the competitive community really wants, it wants to be big again.

So please, no MLG playlist.
Let it not be branded with all that stigma.
And let it be Halo 4.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Y1I7G.png
Pass.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
MLG has outright said before that they want to be the only game in town.

This is why they have to get scraps like Soul Calibur and Mortal Kombat for their fighting game tournaments instead of Street Fighter because Capcom specifically doesn't let MLG broadcast their fighting games to protect the small FGC leagues.

Allowing the community to come up with stuff is the antithesis of their goal - they want people to play the MLG branded gametype and they want people to only want to play the MLG branded gametype. The H3 and Reach playlists were controlled from the top down by one person. And since they're no longer running tourneys, the hardcore playlists they were gifted in previous Halos just sits there, rotting, even though a bunch of hardcore community members want to refresh it and update it with new maps and gametypes.
It's a bit more complicated than that when it comes to SF/Capcom, but your completely right. They enforce their own stupid rules irregardless of what players like historically, what is the standard, or what the community dictates independently. Relatively smart business decisions keep them afloat, even if IIRC they've been in the red ever since their inception. Large amount of ad dollars and consequently large payouts got them far.

Caja 117

It's a bit more complicated than that when it comes to SF/Capcom, but your completely right. They enforce their own stupid rules irregardless of what players like historically, what is the standard, or what the community dictates independently. Relatively smart business decisions keep them afloat, even if IIRC they've been in the red ever since their inception. Large amount of ad dollars and consequently large payouts got them far.
I think they have started making profit now with SC2.

FyreWulff

Oh and an immediate thing I realized now with the menu flow that they could improve in a TU.

Usually in UI you have your most trafficed elements first, then you put the lesser trafficed options in submenus.

So like, in a Halo game, they usually put the most popular playlist in the first slot, so you're there in A->A-> A. Campaign takes the top slot on the top menu because it's going to be the most popular option. Then multiplayer, then Forge, then Theater, in order of actual usage.

A notable thing Halo 4 does wrong is when you press Start. Now go down to Files and Settings. What does it drop you on first? Audio and Video settings.. you have to press Right 3 times to get to the File Browser.

The File Browser should have been the first thing that came up on that selection. I'm not going to be changing my video and audio settings more than once or twice, but it's the first option. The feature I WILL be using a lot, the File Browser, you have to use a few more button presses to get to. It sounds like firstworldproblems but it does add up.

feel

Couldn't you guys have done your bitching about the game in the official thread? Forward Unto Dong needed to shine for a while longer.

Kibbles

Conan O'Brien and Andy Richter are in Halo 4. They were also recently announced to be in Arrested Development Season 4.

Coincidence or destiny?

I haven't found them in Halo 4, where they at? Even in the section that looks like where they were doing the segment in.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Not at all.

FFAs are all about the leader. If you're not the leader, you want to keep the leader from scoring and ending the game before you can overtake him. The problem is that most players are stupid and will actively work against this goal. It happens in other FFA games too, like Settlers of Catan. If everyone isn't actively keeping the leader down, the game becomes imbalanced and it's out of a single player's hands to stop the leader from running away with the victory.

Regicide puts a target over the leader's head so everyone knows where the priority is. You don't need to go after the leader, you still earn 10 points per kill on other players, but going after the leader (as you should be) rewards a larger amount, depending on how long he's gone untouched. The end result is a frenzied back and forth between the best players and closer matches, which didn't always happen in default FFAs.
Well put, still I am not a fan of the scoring system. It's one thing to put a Waypoint on the leader even though the game can become cat and mouse-esque in that regard. But the fact that a player who has performed significantly worse could steal a victory with half the effort just makes for an annoying/frustrating gametype.

A game like this for example:

XoqHx.png

fzD1Q.png

Had he killed me at the height of my bounty, all he would need is two more kills and since everyone is pursuing him, he would only need to survive for a short duration to gain an overshield and secure those two kills.

FyreWulff

Don't have the one where you can throw reg batteries in unfortunately.

Just for shiggles, make sure it isn't just the charge cable (or it the cable that's broken?). I've had like 3 of those cables just die on me out of nowhere.

Of course this is moot if you have no cable to swap for

Just for shiggles, make sure it isn't just the charge cable (or it the cable that's broken?). I've had like 3 of those cables just die on me out of nowhere.

Of course this is moot if you have no cable to swap for

No cable to swap. It's definitely dead. They don't last for shit and the batts eventually die so I told TD to just get a battery pack we can throw reg batts in.

Arnie

Which one was that? I loved the first few but wasn't nearly as fond of the others.

On the big vehicle thing driving towards the gravity well. Didn't care for the early missions, loved that one. That's as far as I'm up to.

IHaveIce

Banned
Ragnarok is unspeakably awful. Remove the Mantis. Please.

It can stay in BTB but remove it from Capture the Flag, I mean the Mantis.

I spawn camped in 2 games the enemies and they had no chance of coming back.

Went +44 and +34, 2 buddies in banshee and the other one runned the flag

willow ve

It can stay in BTB but remove it from Capture the Flag, I mean the Mantis.

I spawn camped in 2 games the enemies and they had no chance of coming back.

Went +44 and +34, 2 buddies in banshee and the other one runned the flag

It's even worse in KOTH where a team can readily get both Mantis, both Banshee, and a ghost... Just terrible spawning on Ragnarok KOTH.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
I haven't found them in Halo 4, where they at? Even in the section that looks like where they were doing the segment in.

I know! I even put it on Legendary with the talkative skull on and I couldn't find them. Frankie refused to tell me too! :(

Halo |OT12| Some Media May Not Be Formatted For Your Potato

Halo |OT12| Broadcasted in Ecumene When Available

Halo |OT12| NEW DOMAIN BITCHFEST UPLOADED TO WAYPOINT

Halo |OT12| Salted, Not Stirred

I think slayer pro is going to be my home. All the other playlists just have too much crap happening. The only thing it needs is static weapon spawns. Fix that shit 343!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom