• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT11| Forward Unto Dong

Status
Not open for further replies.

TimeLike

No Campaign Theater

No Campaign Scoring

http://i.minus.com/ibkBezRvDfGBiC.gifIMG][/QUOTE]

W......T......F???? I haven't been following the development as closely as other Halo titles, but that news is disappointing. Scoring was such a small thing, but it was so fun!

Lets look at the features 343 added and removed for Halo 4.

Added:
-Spartan Ops
-Create a class (weapons, AA's, grenades and modifications)
-Join in progress
-Dominion
-Extraction
-New CTF
-New Oddball
-Small Forge upgrades.
-Level based unlocking system
-Infection made into a proper gametype
-Prometheans
-Bunch of new weapons
-2 new vehicles (mantis+Mammoth)

Removed:
-Firefight
-Campaign theater
-Campaign scoring
-Skill based ranking system
-Flag customization options
-Oddball customization options
-Bunch of older weapons (Grenade laucher, focus rifle, Plasma Laucher)
-Old vehicles (Flacon, Revenant)
-VIP gametype
-Race gametype
-Assault gametype

Please tell me if I missed something.

IHaveIce

Banned
Lets look at the features 343 added and removed for Halo 4.

Added:
-Spartan Ops
-Create a class (weapons, AA's, grenades and modifications)
-Join in progress
-Dominion
-Extraction
-New CTF
-New Oddball
-Small Forge upgrades.
-Level based unlocking system
-Infection made into a proper gametype

Removed:
-Firefight
-Campaign theater
-Campaign scoring
-Skill based ranking system
-Flag customization options
-Oddball customization options

Please tell me if I missed something.
Removed:
-VIP gametype
- Race gametype
- Assault gametype

the lack of scoring is really dumb, most of my campaign games were with scoring on, I just liek it with medals and points.

That also means no challenges for getting X00000 Points in Mission X.

And the skulls are really now just fun things, no point multipliers

GhaleonEB

Well I think it's never been more clear how different 343's vision for what Halo is differs from Bungie's, at least from a feature standpoint. The suite of modes and support options Bungie built up and sustained through their games is getting token treatment or gutted.

-Campaign scoring removed.
-Campaign and Spartan Ops theater removed.
-No new multiplayer theater features.
-Forge functionality marginally tweaked from Reach, objects heavily reused.
-Custom options pared back.
-Skulls identical to Halo 3, ODST, Reach, with no new content.

343 put their resources into reinventing Halo's core experience, into the story, and into player progression. I can respect that, it's a huge unertaking. (Will revise after playing the game, of course.) But the surrounding, supporting modes and features are neglected or cut.

I'm up taking pain killers because my legs are sore from my workout. So I'm grouchy. But goddamn are these things adding up. I joked that the OT thread title should be "Master Chief Responds to the Call of Duty", but it fits.

Omni

colin01.gif

It pains me to think about the features that they removed.

Woorloog

Banned
And the skulls are really now just fun things, no point multipliers
Skulls are needed for 4 player legendary campaign, otherwise it is too easy (at least based on previous Halos).

I don't care that scoring was removed, after Halo 3 and its scoring achievements i never bothered with scoring.

Striker

Removed:
-VIP gametype
- Race gametype
- Assault gametype
Essentially, 2-bomb, 1-bomb, and Neutral Assault are gone, as well as 1-flag. Three Plots also seems to be gone but Extraction seems similar, I thought. But hey! There's still Oddball (and the option for the favorite, Hot Potato)!

Homeboyd

Brutal.

Campaign scoring/medals (for me personally) is a huge blow. Hope it's not true. Also, no timer? No more speed runs I guess.

Nothing 100% confirmed yet, right?

Right? :(

Overdoziz

Banned
Brutal.

Campaign scoring/medals (for me personally) is a huge blow. Hope it's not true. Also, no timer? No more speed runs I guess.

You could just check the length of the films in the-

You could still see the time on waypoint.com in game history.

The only thing that has been removed that I personally care about, is the ranking system.

Just give me a BR/DMR and a symmetrical map and I'm set for 2 years.

GhaleonEB

Essentially, 2-bomb, 1-bomb, and Neutral Assault are gone, as well as 1-flag. Three Plots also seems to be gone but Extraction seems similar, I thought. But hey! There's still Oddball (and the option for the favorite, Hot Potato)!

What? 1-flag is gone, there's no custom options for it at all?
Brutal.

I loved it. Aside from my initial run, every game of Reach I played had scoring on. Pretty sure the same for ODST and Halo 3 as well. I loved popping medals during Campaign. It's a big deal to me as well; it's how I'm used to playing Halo at this point.

heckfu

Banned
I always assumed campaign scoring was in as it tied directly to campaign achievements. Am I missing something else?

When I heard the news it personally didn't affect me that much because I don't think I ever REALLY paid attention to my score outside of those achievements.

Omni

Yeah, because I'm sure that's what the discussions were like. Come on people.

Seriously though. Campaign scoring... It's not even a big feature. I just don't understand why it would be gone and/or why they haven't said a word about it. Let's not even talk their silence about campaign theatre. If they had a real excuse as to why it isn't in the game, why didn't they just say so from the beginning? People would still be bitter, but now we're just left in the dark with no explanation at all.

It's the same crap as the ranking system.

Quite possibly unrelated, but it made me laugh.

Gui_PT

http://galileoweb.org/chunb/files/2012/01/stop-watch.jpg
run, Nokyard, run

WSplit is awsumz cuz you can make all the splits you want, save your runs and obviously it automatically calculates how much faster or slower than your previous run you are going.

A priceless tool in such a non-theater dark day!

Conor 419

Banned
And on top of all of this, no Custom Game Browser. Something which is single handedly the most important thing they could have added to the series.

Omni

Something to break up the bitterness...

OT: I preordered ACIII online from EB games (or Gamestop or whatever you call it over in the US). When it is released, does anyone know if I get it on the day or will I have to wait?

There's disappointment, criticism, anger, hate, all if which could be justified, and then there's just stupid, like this post.
>taking it seriously.

Lol.

S1kkZ

Well I think it's never been more clear how different 343's vision for what Halo is differs from Bungie's, at least from a feature standpoint. The suite of modes and support options Bungie built up and sustained through their games is getting token treatment or gutted.

343 put their resources into reinventing Halo's core experience, into the story, and into player progression. I can respect that, it's a huge unertaking. (Will revise after playing the game, of course.) But the surrounding, supporting modes and features are neglected or cut.

I'm up taking pain killers because my legs are sore from my workout. So I'm grouchy. But goddamn are these things adding up. I joked that the OT thread title should be "Master Chief Responds to the Call of Duty", but it fits.

you forgot: terminal videos only viewable in waypoint (and only for gold members).
all of this reminds me of uncharted 3's campaign. they cut some features because they where pushing the hardware so hard and ran out of time.

And on top of all of this, no Custom Game Browser. Something which is single handedly the most important thing they could have added to the series.
Puts in desired maps/settings, no matches found.

Puts in Ragnorak, finds Team Rockets match.

Puts in Slayer Pro, realizes that they might as well be searching in that playlist.

Wait, what? Scoring is gone now too? What the hell?
Our only hope lies with Spartan Ops

I don't think that the bold is the case. There was a picture that was posted yesterday that started the whole shitstorm, and Theater was listed as a submenu of Infinity. I HAVE to hope that Spartan Ops is where we can scratch that itch that we've been able to do with the last 3 Halo campaigns. If not, it would put a pretty big mark against such a huge endeavor for the franchise.

What? 1-flag is gone, there's no custom options for it at all?
Are any round-based gametypes returning? When Assault got the axe, Grifflol got changed, and CTF was revamped, I went ahead with the assumption that round-based gametypes that we've been familiar with got cut. Maybe an option will be there, but one-sided gametypes don't seem to be what 343 wants to use in grabbing the casual fan that they seem to want to market to this time around.

Fuchsdh

^ :lol

I have never seen an image on the HBO homepage now that people mention it. Maybe the forums format will evolve soon as well..

Unlikely. #KeepTruckin

The 1min version works a heck of a lot better... Would have just ponied up the cash for the full version as opposed to the :45 if I were Microsoft.

Also... let it be said I'd rather have ZooJoo back than this "Can I be on Team Downer? Can I?" business.

Amazing Mic

Neo Member

Puts in Slayer Pro, realizes that they might as well be searching in that playlist.

Yup, pretty much the last thing I'd want to do is pull more people from Matchmaking at this point.

Are any round-based gametypes returning? When Assault got the axe, Grifflol got changed, and CTF was revamped, I went ahead with the assumption that round-based gametypes that we've been familiar with got cut. Maybe an option will be there, but one-sided gametypes to seem to be what 343 wants to use in grabbing the casual fan that they seem to want to market to.

The only round based gametype that we know exists in 4 is infection :|

willow ve

Custom Game Browser only works if you have a huge population. With some of the decisions 343 has made with Halo 4 I can't imagine the population will be large enough after a month or so to support a whole custom games hopper.

Omni

Do you know how server browsers work?

If you wanted to play a game on Ragnorak, it would give you a list of all the available games on Ragnorak. You wouldn't have to choose Team Rockets unless you wanted too.

Regardless, I don't think Halo really needs a server browser.... yet. At least until we get [if we get] dedicated severs instead of P2P.

you forgot: terminal videos only viewable in waypoint (and only for gold members).
all of this reminds me of uncharted 3's campaign. they cut some features because they where pushing the hardware so hard and ran out of time.

To be quite honest, most of the cuts things don't bother me. This in particular seems like a stupid decision, because there's a snowball's chance in hell I will ever bother going into waypoint to view them rather than just youtubing them after I'm done with the campaign.

Amazing Mic

Neo Member
Custom Game Browser only works if you have a huge population. With some of the decisions 343 has made with Halo 4 I can't imagine the population will be large enough after a month or so to support a whole custom games hopper.

Such a boneheaded comment to think any you could fill a bus with the number of people these changes will drive away.

Do you know how server browsers work?

Don't want to speak for him, but looks like he gets it to me.

When I heard the news it personally didn't affect me that much because I don't think I ever REALLY paid attention to my score outside of those achievements.
Personally I really loved it in 3 & ODST, made for great competitiveness in Coop.
Hell, was just using it last week, made for great laughs.

"I was winning by like 2000 points, now I'm on 6!"
"Are you intentionally keeping me from respawning so you can get points?"

Again, I'm interested in the fact it wasn't said. And a lot sooner. Why not cut through the disappointment early and focus on selling people with the good things?
Makes me feel like I missed something.

Less than 2 weeks!
Hoping, by some miracle I get it on the Friday or Monday. I realised yesterday I'm going to be in London the weekend of release and will miss the first Halo 4 customs!

The only round based gametype that we know exists in 4 is infection :|
Oh right, I conveniently forgot about that. That's a case where it would be extremely easy to follow for someone new to the franchise; you're either a human or a monster (and bravo to 343 for finally making that distinction).

edit: what the fuck is going on in this extraction video. What exactly are you trying to extract, a box of information? I'm watching on my phone so it's probably not the best place to watch, but I'm not seeing the fun like Dominion.

Omni

Oh right, I conveniently forgot about that. That's a case where it would be extremely easy to follow for someone new to the franchise; you're either a human or a monster (and bravo to 343 for finally making that distinction).

edit: what the fuck is going on in this extraction video. What exactly are you trying to extract, a box of information? I'm watching on my phone so it's probably not the best place to watch, but I'm not seeing the fun like Dominion.

Yeah, I don't quite understand it either. Looks confusing, which is odd considering everything else in the game is laid directly in front of you.

Homeboyd

Hahahaha oh man. This shit got me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom