• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT11| Forward Unto Dong

Status
Not open for further replies.

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
You can see a lot of Reach in this game. The Banshee is essentially the same, when the Carbine reflects it turns into a needler rifle round, and the animation when you're getting XP at the end when your guy does his little reload thing is the same.

I don't want to sound like I'm putting it down, but the game is built on top of Reach, probably what makes it so good is that they had more time making it better rather than making it from scratch.

The graphics are amazing, but MP is too noob forgiving and the lack of options for custom games is just weird.

HildyB

Campaign Spoilers:

I could see Cortana becoming a "real girl". It was interesting when Didact was talking about Cortana and how she was "advanced". He was giving her a lot of passive compliments lol. There has to be something about her that makes it possible for her to take biological form. As someone said, Halo without her isn't Halo.

I agree, I mean he was able to turn organics into digital (Prometheans) so I stands to make sense there would be some way to do the opposite? I'm missing terminal 5 and 6 so maybe I missed something in there if they addressed him turning them back.

I agree, I mean he was able to turn organics into digital (Prometheans) so I stands to make sense there would be some way to do the opposite? I'm missing terminal 5 and 6 so maybe I missed something in there if they addressed him turning them back.

You're missing a key plot point bro.
The Librarian made it clear that the Compser would bridge the gap between the digital and organic realm, making the Forerunners immortal. But the results soured, the stored personalities fragmented, and attempts to turn them back into organic beings, produced only abominations. So that should clear things up.

willow ve

2 moments aside Legendary is a cakewalk, step it up yo.

Agree - there were a few sticky moments that proved annoying (sometimes due to frustrating game mechanics*), but overall the Legendary run through was easier than Reach.

Why can't I fire the Mammoth Mini Mac Cannon at whatever the hell I want?

Anyone here use Fishstick? Zoom is on the left trigger, but I don't know how to scope further in on the sniper rifles. Anyone know how to make this happen?

Campaign spoilers.
It would be strange if the 'Chief' ranked up... I mean now that he's back on Earth, it would be odd for him not to be given a promotion.

Anyone here use Fishstick? Zoom is on the left trigger, but I don't know how to scope further in on the sniper rifles. Anyone know how to make this happen?

Tried tapping the trigger? I have no idea.

O D I N

So, I'm back!

No one missed me? Okay, cool. ._.

So, beat the campaign last night (Solo, Heroic). Thoughts below:

Sweet-mother-of-baby-tap-dancing-Arbiter-on-a-pogo-stick-with-sparklers, Heroic is a lot harder than before. o_O I mean, I've died a lot more in Heroic than I did on my Legendary runs in previous games. Not a bad thing per se, but holy crap. The difficulty certainly went up.

Aside from that, I enjoyed the story. It was nice getting back in touch with the Chief and Cortana after play with the Rookie and Noble 6 for the last two games. And getting used to the lack of a health bar again threw me for a loop too. But at the same time, a nice, subtle touch.

The game is gorgeous. And having recently acquired a new, 1080p 47" LCD TV... Oooh baby...

The controls aren't bad (Bumper Jumper, here), but took a little getting used to again from some other games on top of a few new abilities (perma-sprint). Overall, not bad.

I'd say the flow of the game was good. No real down points, or lack of action.

As for the ending, I have mixed feelings, and for anyone who has finished the game, you may understand why. It's hard to see where the game can go from there, but I'd like to see what they do.

Overall: I loved it. Nicely done 343. Keep up the good work.

My short thoughts on each mode so far:

Campaign: It's pretty and it's short, with a few interesting bits. Prometheans aren't as fun to fight as I thought they'd be. I am left confused at the story by not reading the books, but apparently the Terminals explain a bit more so I will watch those when I find them all.

War Games: Best MP since Halo 3. I'm enjoying most of the modes so far. Only thing I think is a little weird are the random Ordnance drops. All of a sudden, a Binary Rifle! In a totally random part of the map, but ok.

Spartan Ops: I see this mode having tons of potential, but it's not quite there yet. I enjoy the cutscenes, and they look amazing.

Forge: Lighting makes a huge difference and I can't wait to see what comes out of it. Lack of zoom is lame, but I'll manage. Copy/Paste Forge pieces from Reach shows laziness, in my opinion.

Overall: I'm very pleased with this game. Sure, some things need to be ironed out, but as the package stands now, it's the best Halo experience I've had since Halo 3.

Overdoziz

Banned
Spec Ops trailer looks good but I've got the feeling we'll just be pressing more buttons and destroying more generators while Palmer and the other Spartans shout at each other about how awesome it is to shoot at stuff.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Spec Ops trailer looks good but I've got the feeling we'll just be pressing more buttons and destroying more generators while Palmer and the other Spartans shout at each other about how awesome it is to shoot at stuff.
I'm excited to hear more about eggheads. She really has it out for them, I figure Palmer books them whenever she has a chance.

BigShow36

This game is too easy.

Every kid can 5 shot now, aiming takes no skill snipers are super OP. It's bloody ridiculous.

Like that guy said earlier,it feels just like Halo 2. But to be honest, it's been like that in every Halo game except CE. Aiming has been way too easy and really restricts what players can or can't do. A wider shooting skill gap increases the variety in every facet of the game, but I doubt we'll see it in a Halo game ever again.

It appears none of my games from last night recorded, which realy sucks because I went huge in TS pro for a bunch of games in a row. Maybe the server is still down and they'll upload later, but as of right now, the games aren't showing up in my service record.

Gazzawa

I'm marking the last few targets.
Go gett em Crimson!

Havok

In other news is King of the Hill fun on any map? Because in all the matches I played in KOTH last night it was boring. And Ragnarok for King of the Hill can die in fire. With the random, all over the map, spawns at one point the opposing team had both Mantis, a Banshee, and a Ghost. Why the fuck are we playing King of the Hill with heavy vehicles?
Not even just King of the Hill, any of the 5v5 gametypes on Ragnarok are a ridiculous clusterfuck of vehicles with the current setup. Why in the world there aren't separate BTB and non-disaster variants is beyond me. Every 5v5 match on there is basically Heavies.

senador

Banned
I can't believe some of you are saying Legendary is a "cakewalk". Heroic kicked my ass and I never had a problem with it in past games.

ZalinKrow

Nooo my headset is fucked :/ The right ear-piece is pretty much hangin' on by a thread. I'll have to replace it soon. Should have an old headset lying around somewhere. On the bright side, almost have the Scout helmet lol

Guys, Krows Turtlebeach x11 headset just snapped from where the right earcup pivots. Are there any temporary fixes he can do? Not sure if warranty will still be covered because we bought them well over a year ago (if not two) and the store we got them no longer exists in Ireland.

Edit: Goddamnit, we're even in the same room!

malfcn

Are they going to address the Waypoint crashing from game and game progression save bugs?

Now I can finally play MP and not work about spoilers (except for legendary). And I do want to play the campaign again. I enjoyed it.

Are they going to address the Waypoint crashing from game and game progression save bugs?

Now I can finally play MP and not work about spoilers (except for legendary). And I do want to play the campaign again. I enjoyed it.

In the bulletin they said the fix is to delete Waypoint and install it again.

That the Multiplayer is really fast compared to other Halos and I think is a little easy to aim and kill.

So what do your guys' load outs look like?

I am really loving the boltshot.
None of my buddies are using it much, but I can't imagine making a load out without it.

Also, thruster pack. I can't justify using any other ability.

DMR/Light Rifle, Boltshot, Thruster, Dexterity, AA efficiency.
Profit.

Magnum,Unlimited Sprint, thats all for me lol

Gazzawa

Guys, Krows Turtlebeach x11 headset just snapped from where the right earcup pivots. Are there any temporary fixes he can do? Not sure if warranty will still be covered because we bought them well over a year ago (if not two) and the store we got them no longer exists in Ireland.

Edit: Goddamnit, we're even in the same room!
Don't worry about it. Just kick up a fuss at the shop. It the Irish way!

malfcn

Missed that part in the Bulletin.

What about it not recording my game completion?
It's like the servers never got the information.
And when I load a campaign I can select all the levels with the difficulty I *did* beat them on, but resume has me back at Mission 4.

willow ve

What's this bulletin you're talking about. Going to the Waypoint website all I get is
Halo Waypoint account problem

A problem occurred while trying to sign you in to Halo Waypoint. Please try again later.

Classic.

CyReN

Y1I7G.png

no no no no no no

Overdoziz

Banned
So I was flying around during the last mission of Spec Ops and after about half a minute I was already out of the map. You can fly up the arch the leads to the last area and from there you can get out of the map. I fell through the floor and died at some point and Elzar & co. finished the level by then so I didn't really have time to explore. Gonna do it won my own now and see where I can go.
Y1I7G.png

no no no no no no
yes yes yes yes yes yes

Campaign spoilers.
It would be strange if the 'Chief' ranked up... I mean now that he's back on Earth, it would be odd for him not to be given a promotion.

Tried tapping the trigger? I have no idea.

Isn't he already "Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy"? That's the highest one can be in the navy... Of course that's assuming that Halopedia is correct in that he was posthumously promoted.

Otherwise, he would be promoted to "Command Master Chief Petty Officer", so I could see where they could still call him Chief

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom