• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT13|

Status
Not open for further replies.
Halo related, are we ever going to spend a level or two going through the inside of a Covenant ship again? I really liked the Corvette part of Long Night of Solace. Beautiful, I just wish they were bigger on the inside to explore. Going through the cruiser in Halo: CE is still on of my favourite memories of Halo campaign. Hell, even going through High Charity in Halo 2 was pretty damn cool.

The Covenant have such cool and interesting architecture, and having those deep purples, pinks, blues and greens all contrasted over a landscape is so trademark Halo. There's barely any of that in 4, and I think that's a mistake. The glimpses that we do see, are really freaking kick-ass, though.

I hope in the future we can get scenes like this:

It felt weird not going in SOME kind of Covenant ship this time around. Where'd all the purple go?

They were trying to step away from the Covenant, although we know how that turned out. You guys just want the same Halo as ever? Not that I'm a fan of the Prometheans, but can't keep knocking Halo 4 for not being "Halo 3 but better."

What's the deal with Elite AI in Spartan Ops? Whenever a dropship appears near the end of a mission, there are 3+ Elites whose strategy is to run as fast as they can towards you, then away diagonally.

Computron

lol Halo PC.

That game is unplayable. I just tried it with open sauce and maxed out.

People are lagging all over the place even with <50 ping. Animations are not interpolating at all so all FPS player animations and enemies move at a jarring 30 fps while my game is playing at >120.
Have to aim ahead to get anywhere and there is extremely bad player feedback..

Feels bad man.

I would be interested in playing local Halo 1 xbox customs, though that wont happen...

H2v still down? I have been hopping around the various Halo games today and yesterday. Halo 3 (<200 BTB population MM times and lage), H2v (offline only) and Reach (last week).

I think I may be done with Halo for a while.

Omni

H2v still down? I have been hopping around the various Halo games today and yesterday. Halo 3 (<200 BTB population MM times and lage), H2v (offline only) and Reach last week.

I think I may be done with Halo for a while.

Halo 2: Vista is back up. Just checked then

Edit. Sorry for double post

I'd like to share this with you fellow Halo fans.

The past few days I've been playing Halo 4 with my nephew who chosed to play this game on his own xbox 360 that was given to him by his father (whom is a gamer) and wanted his son to enjoy the best games he knows any kid will love to play by him/herself alone or as a family/party. Only Rated E titles of course.

I figured the game would possibly be abit more challenging for his age, but he wanted to play it cooperatively with me. So, I figured we play the games difficulty on Easy and guide him on certain need to know basis things mainly on how to play it. We played the Mission "Dawn" with no problems. He gave me orders to take out the little guys (grunts) while he takes out the big guy (Elite) and executes his strategy with flying colors. I was impressed.

We continued our objective once on Requiem. He already knows how to pickup weapons, hop into Worthogs (Driving them, mounting the turret and using it properly). I thought it would be useful for him to know how to sprint after we've been playing two missions without it, so I took his controller and set the layout style from Default to Recon after asking which buttons/thumsticks he would find simpler to use. Smart choice. He knows how to speed things up by pressing X for sprinting.

The Waypoint Objectives helps alot for him to accomplish want needs to be done before further advancing. No troubles whatsoever in the Mission "Forerunner". Now we've progressed further into the Level "Reclaimer" after finishing "Infinity" not too long ago.

The only problems he may have trouble is being out numbered by Elites/Prometheans. Loved using the Giant Robot (Mantis) which he stomped me several times accidentally without any previous knowledge of knowing how to execute it along with timing. Man how I really have been enjoying playing Halo 4 coop with him. He truly loved playing it. Btw, this is his very first Halo game.

Even though Halo games are rated "M" for mature, he was being supervised by me and both his parents. Reason why I wanted to share this experience on here is that my nephew is only 4 years old. Wow right? Thanks for reading this very long post and I really do hope you all enjoyed it :)

Thanks for sharing, enjoyed your story and it's nice to know a 4 year old can handle all the complex controls and game actions of an FPS like Halo. It's funny how young kids ignore the guns and violence so they just play and have fun. Just like you said he referenced the Elite as "the big guy". Kudos to you and the parents for supervising also, need more gamer parents/guardians like that these days.

I'm still undecided about how far to let my son play, he's 3.5 years old and insanely good at iPad puzzle games like Tetris or other app/touch style games. He can play Mario Bros or coop Mario on the Wii as well but my wife and I have not let him play or see any gun games like Halo as yet.

Kinect sucks for little ones as it just doesn't follow their movements for most games and confuses our Boxer dog with him all the time.

Enfinit

Shared your image of the Headless modder within my FB page about the awareness you're wanting to spread. Then, a member posted this image that he'd came across one of them very recently.

It's concerning that this is a growing problem. However, at least it's not that easily accessible (unless you have a hex editor for your Live profile).

FyreWulff

Redownload your profile and clear the cache and make sure you dont have an corrupted Halo reach file with a "!" in your HD

Yeah, did all this and it still downloads as corrupted. Except now it claims the file is only 40KB big when it's done.

Guess I have to go get the disc out of storage.

edit: annnd that Reach discs DREs after 50% on the install. Guess I'm going to have to use Japanese Reach :lol

They were trying to step away from the Covenant, although we know how that turned out. You guys just want the same Halo as ever? Not that I'm a fan of the Prometheans, but can't keep knocking Halo 4 for not being "Halo 3 but better."

What's the deal with Elite AI in Spartan Ops? Whenever a dropship appears near the end of a mission, there are 3+ Elites whose strategy is to run as fast as they can towards you, then away diagonally.

Sorry in advance for all the pics.

I'm not saying Halo 4 is a lesser game for it. The Promethean stuff is as cool looking as something that's either grey/orange or grey/blue can be, and the Forerunner architecture has always been really cool, too. I'm not trying to take away from the amount of effort it took to more fully flesh out the Forerunner design. That much is a given

signature-of-the-week-halo-prometheans_mohal_3.jpg

But Halo, to me, has always been a healthy balance of "cool shit, but familiar", and "cool shit, but alien".

The "cool shit, but familiar" stuff has been, typically, the more Human, or "Earthy" stuff. Though, some of Halo's landscapes and architecture was familiar, too (like Delta Halo's structures). Human things originally looked a lot like Forerunner, too (as far as colour scheme goes), but they got better at distinguishing the two as they went on:

Note: I still thing the aesthetic was better earlier on, with less visual noise, but human stuff now has a pretty solid and understandable "feel" to it.

Where Halo gets interesting is the "cool shit, but alien".

You have, in Halo, Human, Forerunner, Covenant, and eventually Flood aesthetics (which can interestingly mix with all of them).

But, again, I still feel like that balance was sort of lop-sided without the Covenant there, too (strictly talking about environments).

So they've made Forerunner as crazy and detailed a pillar as the Covenant and Human's are, then why do we not ever get to explore more Covenant things? They sort of half introduced the Covenant leader in the terminals and Spartan Ops, but there was absolutely no mention of it (that I can recall) straight in the campaign. Which, we will see how the story for Spartan Ops goes to see whether or not that was a good decision. To me, though, I'd rather a more fleshed out Covenant like in Halo 2, or even 3. That's the most interesting Covenant. Sure, they may not be as big or as crazy as they used to be, but they are interesting nonetheless. Why not visit Sanghelios? Or a new "Empire strikes back-esque" new High Charity? Or at least a capital ship.

Maybe that's too grand, you only really need one ship. One level. A Scarab? Something. There's no Covenant stuff other than rubble, and that makes me sad.
Forgot about the Liche... That was about as interesting as the Halo 2 Scarab. No thanks.

The map editor Halo fans deserve, just not the one we need right now...

errr

Scratch that. I'm sooo jelly. Make it happen for H5, 343i.

Yep, fuck Forge and spend all those resources on polishing the actual developer tools to a retail release on a PC. It's Microsoft after all and that would be an easy sell to the MS eggheads.

Players would even pay for it separately as well and then you could use those funds for dedicated servers :)

I miss everything Delta Halo. I played that mission so many times. The cutscene, the music, the drop pod landing, the rockets taking out fixed enemy turrets, swapping out used up rockets for noob combo and taking the LZ, then having to defend that very same LZ from dropping in invisibles using a sniper you swap out from already killed jackals. All that just in one LZ area then you receive a warthog via Pelican drop once you cleared and got onto the next section with long range sniping and again attacking an enemy stronghold.

This is what Spartan Ops could have been or could be in the second half. Less random waves and more offense/defense switching with incoming enemies and allies via drops and multiple staged events. Hmmmmm I think I'm going to play Halo 2 > Delta Halo again tonight. Just the pinnacle of Halo missions for me.

Yep, fuck Forge and spend all those resources on polishing the actual developer tools to a retail release on a PC. It's Microsoft after all and that would be an easy sell to the MS eggheads.

Players would even pay for it separately as well and then you could use those funds for dedicated servers :)

Agree completely. Microsoft's strength is in their dev-toolset. Why not leverage something like the Halo engine and polish it for release? I've been playing a lot of Skyrim lately, and that's an example of a game that I didn't really enjoy all that much when it came out, but that I've now recently started to really enjoy due to all the content from mod developers that really fix a lot of problems I had with the game.

Bethesda always releases their kit after a TES release, and I think it should be a practice more common in the industry (not necessarily free, though). Why can't I download and play someone's maps that they made? They did it for Halo 2 on PC, as shitty as that was it was a step in the right direction.

But, Microsoft have always had one weakness: their metrics. Maybe they know more than we do and that is that it won't be worth the money put in.

Oh well, we can dream for a tool like that Far Cry 3 (and 2, and 1) have had... :(

I miss everything Delta Halo. I played that mission so many times. The cutscene, the music, the drop pod landing, the rockets taking out fixed enemy turrets, swapping out used up rockets for noob combo and taking the LZ, then having to defend that very same LZ from dropping in invisibles using a sniper you swap out from already killed jackals. All that just in one LZ area then you receive a warthog via Pelican drop once you cleared and got onto the next section with long range sniping and again attacking an enemy stronghold.

This is what Spartan Ops could have been or could be in the second half. Less random waves and more offense/defense switching with incoming enemies and allies via drops and multiple staged events. Hmmmmm I think I'm going to play Halo 2 > Delta Halo again tonight. Just the pinnacle of Halo missions for me.

Yeah, I'm overdue on a playthrough. Think I'll do a screenshot/playthrough run tonight and over the next few days of my Winter break on Halo 2 PC. I hope someone has an interesting write-up on Spartan Ops coming after the end, I'd really like an analysis from someone who "gets" Halo's legacy encounter design. As far as actual objectives go, though, I think there's a lot that can be done if you constrain yourself by saying: "No buttons that don't do anything". Halo has ALWAYS had a lot of button pushing. But for the most part, the button pushing does something, and is usually an extension of exploration rather than a straight up, "go here, now" objective. But maybe I'm not remembering correctly.

I want Spartan Ops to be more. I've been calling for that since the beginning. I totally get that it's new, and that they're learning the ropes or what not, but still. Go nuts with it in the future. It's made to go nuts.

Also, on co-op: Making Halo "co-op" doesn't have to mean throw 10x the enemies with FRGs at us. Just look to Portal 2's co-op for ideas. I know it's not the best example to translate into Halo gameplay, but why not have teams split up? (I could do why nots about Spartan Ops forever, I've got a million
likely impossible
ideas.

Thanks for sharing, enjoyed your story and it's nice to know a 4 year old can handle all the complex controls and game actions of an FPS like Halo. It's funny how young kids ignore the guns and violence so they just play and have fun. Just like you said he referenced the Elite as "the big guy". Kudos to you and the parents for supervising also, need more gamer parents/guardians like that these days.

I'm still undecided about how far to let my son play, he's 3.5 years old and insanely good at iPad puzzle games like Tetris or other app/touch style games. He can play Mario Bros or coop Mario on the Wii as well but my wife and I have not let him play or see any gun games like Halo as yet.

Kinect sucks for little ones as it just doesn't follow their movements for most games and confuses our Boxer dog with him all the time.
Finding gun games that are appropriate enough that a child can enjoy is difficult, perhaps the arcade games within XBLA may help.

I agree, kinetic does suck. I'd rather stick with playing the wii instead.

The skipping "Y" feature would help negate graphic content in 4 (ex. Didact using Composer in Ivanhoff Station.) is very helpful.

Also thank you, I hope your kid enjoys playing Halo for the first time :)

NOKYARD

It felt weird not going in SOME kind of Covenant ship this time around. Where'd all the purple go?
At the beginning of the second mission i stood on top of one and pushed a button to hear a radio broadcast. Does that count?

Also, in the cut scene prior to my above statement, where you are free falling into the gravity well(?) you quickly approach a destroyed Covenant Cruiser. Your hand slaps the broken hull of what was once a mighty warship, giving it perspective. As you pass through, you realize the ship is actually the size of a rental go kart.

I miss the aztec-looking ruins of Delta Halo
Home of my very first Legendary speed run. Spent several hundred hours on that level alone doing various runs and tricking videos. Miss it deeply. Halo 2 Anniversary?

Finding gun games that are appropriate enough that a child can enjoy is difficult, perhaps the arcade games within XBLA may help.

I agree, kinetic does suck. I'd rather stick with playing the wii instead.

The skipping "Y" feature would help negate graphic content in 4 (ex. Didact using Composer in Ivanhoff Station.) is very helpful.

Also thank you, I hope your kid enjoys playing Halo for the first time :)

Good tip on the cutscene skip too, thanks heaps. Just brought to my attention that if I know things well enough then I know what to edit out of their experience. Might help sell the misses on letting the little man play Halo with Dad :)

Good tip on the cutscene skip too, thanks heaps. Just brought to my attention that if I know things well enough then I know what to edit out of their experience. Might help sell the misses on letting the little man play Halo with Dad :)

You're a cool dad. My Dad did the same thing with me, but with Halo: CE on the original Xbox. Granted, I was 10, but it is one of the fondest memories I have with him, and it's a passion we've shared for over a decade now.

--

Speaking of Halo 2, if some time I ever see some HaloGAF people again, like at PAX, or whatever, get me to do the intro for the game. I love acting that out, with voices and sound-effects, too. ;)

--

I miss the Ancient Human? ruins of Delta Halo

You're a cool dad. My Dad did the same thing with me, but with Halo: CE on the original Xbox. Granted, I was 10, but it is one of the fondest memories I have with him, and it's a passion we've shared for over a decade now.

Thanks. Yeah my dad never played video games with me, a real sports man though so we always had that together and I grew up with both the physical (sports) and mental (video games). I hope I can balance both for my son and daughter (although she's only 8 months old).

My brother and I always gamed together and still do to this day some 25 years later, he's just been lazy and hasn't bought Halo 4 yet though. We run our company together and web development together so we don't play as often as we used to in our down time, literally just to get a break from each other.

At the beginning of the second mission i stood on top of one and pushed a button to hear a radio broadcast. Does that count?

Also, in the cut scene prior to my above statement, where you are free falling into the gravity well(?) you quickly approach a destroyed Covenant Cruiser. Your hand slaps the broken hull of what was once a mighty warship, giving it perspective. As you pass through, you realize the ship is actually the size of a rental go kart.

Home of my very first Legendary speed run. Spent several hundred hours on that level alone doing various runs and tricking videos. Miss it deeply. Halo 2 Anniversary?

Nothing like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=te-EHxxBGmw#t=498s

To be fair, though, that scene in first-person would be pretty cool, if done right.

Halo 2 had a ton of huge set pieces. Halo 3 had beautiful ones. Halo 4 had robot dogs and robot birds. Felt like I was chasing robotnik. Pro tip: call him dr egg man

I think Halo 4 actually had some pretty nice set-pieces, too. I just feel like some hardware constraints made them not as cool as they could have been:
Halo 4 campaign story spoilers:
-Reclaimer has a really cool atmosphere, and is very reminiscent of the last level of Reach (which I think is one of the most beautiful in the entire series). However, the skybox is clearly 2D, so you don't get that sense of scale very well.
-Flying the Pelican out of the side of the Infinity for the first time after all the engines start up, exiting into the huge open space with all the hanging Forerunner structures. Down side was that barely anything cool happened after that, there.
-Coming out of slip-space while flying the Broadsword through the trenches of Didact's ship Star Wars style and seeing Earth appear up above was really cool... But you couldn't really see it as well as you could because that section of the level is over before you get to start it.

Booties

Banned
Halo 2 had a ton of huge set pieces. Halo 3 had beautiful ones. Halo 4 had robot dogs and robot birds. Felt like I was chasing robotnik. Pro tip: call him dr egg man

So, uh, have the talked about the online file browser and when screen shots will be up? Or if Sp and Sp Ops theater is still a possibility? Or 1-flag and assault? Or fixing weapon spawns and revamping random ordinance to not be random and sucky?

Dude, I'm still waiting for the Halo Legends Origins Pt. I Forerunner Light-Beam-Combiner thing.

Forerunner_weapon.jpg

FRANK! WHERE IS THIS GUN/SWORD/GUORD?!

I still think that may be the precursor to the Boltshot.

Ok!

Also, stingray faces are weird:
StingraySWNS_450x300.jpg

--

Halo related, are we ever going to spend a level or two going through the inside of a Covenant ship again? I really liked the Corvette part of Long Night of Solace. Beautiful, I just wish they were bigger on the inside to explore. Going through the cruiser in Halo: CE is still on of my favourite memories of Halo campaign. Hell, even going through High Charity in Halo 2 was pretty damn cool.

The Covenant have such cool and interesting architecture, and having those deep purples, pinks, blues and greens all contrasted over a landscape is so trademark Halo. There's barely any of that in 4, and I think that's a mistake. The glimpses that we do see, are really freaking kick-ass, though.

I hope in the future we can get scenes like this:

That is an amazing Stingray, I now want it.

Also, fully agree about locations and art design.

lol Halo PC.

That game is unplayable. I just tried it with open sauce and maxed out.

People are lagging all over the place even with <50 ping. Animations are not interpolating at all so all FPS player animations and enemies move at a jarring 30 fps while my game is playing at >120.
Have to aim ahead to get anywhere and there is extremely bad player feedback..

Feels bad man.

Halo PC was always a mess for me, especially on a controller; dat 360 joystick gliiiiiiideeee (didn't feel right with Mouse/KB)

Thanks for posting these. It was cuz of your links that I started checking out Far Cry 3 more, so hopefully Santa has a copy waiting for me ;]

So, uh, have the talked about the online file browser and when screen shots will be up? Or if Sp and Sp Ops theater is still a possibility? Or 1-flag and assault? Or fixing weapon spawns and revamping random ordinance to not be random and sucky?

I think there's another TU coming early Jan, so we may hear some stuff then. I'm keeping my hopes in check at this point, but they've been updating and supporting shit like crazy so far, which is a good sign (just maybe not the stuff people here care about).

Also, fully agree about locations and art design.

Funny thing is, I think the art direction for the most part has gotten a lot better, they just don't use their talent to their potential (Not trying to take away from the stuff they did make, I meant as in for crazy stuff, they more focused on making the regular stuff look better than it has ever looked), and they focus on too small a scope. They could absolutely NAIL Covenant locations if they wanted to, they just opted to essentially "write them out". :(

I know I'm asking the sky, 343, but you didn't have to give me it back as a compressed jpeg :(

Edit: The rational person in me understands that this is planned as a trilogy, and that the first part is always the smallest in scope.

--

Also, this just came to me, but is the crazy organic and purple a strictly Covenant thing, or is it borrowed from the Prophets or Elites? Just curious if one day we can see another "Covenant city". Maybe in a different form than High Charity.

GAH! I just really wish they would flesh the Covenant out more in Halo 5
or better, yet, an Arbiter or Covenant focused SpOps season 2
. I can only take so much of having my main enemy be a bunch of "mindless robots" essentially lead by one dude, as badass as he may be. I want to see politics, again, Gandalf, politics...

Computron

Seriously, why don't you guys go on amazon and buy Halo 2 vista?

It's $15. You guys spend more to get banned playing DLC.

It runs fine on any PC (or bootcamp mac!) that has vista or higher on lowish end systems and you can plug in your 360 controller (even a wireless one with the $15 adapter) and get the same controlls and aim assist, at 60+ fps and play customs with a game browser and dedicated servers. This is most of all the things you guys want!

This is not a rhetorical question, I actually want to know why.

Also, why do some of you instead play it over a convoluted and laggy XBC in SD without proper widescreen?

Seriously, why don't you guys go on amazon and buy the game?

It's $15. You guys spend more to get banned playing DLC.

It runs on any PC that has vista or higher and you can plug in your 360 controller (even a wireless one with the $15 adapter) and get the same controlls and aim assist, at 60+ fps and play customs with a game browser and dedicated servers. This is most of all the things you guys want!

This is not a rhetorical question, I actually want to know why.

Why do some of you instead play it over laggy XBC in SD without proper widescreen?

That's what I did, but no one plays with me. I actually think no one here plays Halo, to be honest.

Computron

That's what I did, but no one plays with me. I actually think no one here plays Halo, to be honest.

I bet some promotion would do some good. I like that THC Halo 2 Tuesdays idea someone posted earlier.

When is a good time for my Halo 2 vista gameday guys? Should I promote it in a gaming side thread? (is that allowed?)

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
I bet some promotion would do some good. I like that THC Halo 2 Tuesdays idea someone posted earlier.

When is a good time for my Halo 2 vista gameday guys? Should I promote it in a gaming side thread? (is that allowed?)

That was me. And yea, when I get a hold of H2V and there are enough people to play, I will definitely play.

The reason I don't have it already is that I don't have anyone to play with. I've almost always had a team for MLG or whatever and just played with them.

That is a good idea, didn't even know it was proposed. I gotta keep a tab on THC more.

Trying BLOPS2's in game streaming function.

edit: bah error, new URL

http://youtu.be/4BDki61dzAo

Cool as shit. Jelly as shit.

That was me. And yea, when I get a hold of H2V and there are enough people to play, I will definitely play.

The reason I don't have it already is that I don't have anyone to play with. I've almost always had a team for MLG or whatever and just played with them.

There's rarely anyone on when I go and check on Halo 2. Couple servers here and there, but nothing all that exciting. If THC did do a H2V Tuesdays thing, though, I'd be in, but I think more in a custom games type capacity. Roll with some classic gametypes, maybe some Slayer, CTF, ToP or what not.

malfcn

Off to bed. But I wanted to drop that when in Walmart the other day they still had 2 copies of Legendary Reach for $150. They were beat to hell, just chilling on a shelf.

Computron

When I get a hold of H2V and there are enough people to play, I will definitely play.

The thing is there are always people online playin in the smgclan and monstermoose dedicated servers and quite a few of them are regulars and are pretty good.

If their not playig the gametype/map that I want, i find that if I start a lobby with a Small-mid scale map (like midship) it usually takes less than an a half hour to get a consistent full good lobby going where you just keep playin game to game.

Otherwise there are 24/7 lockout/district/coag servers that are allways full of players. And there are quite frequently partly filled MLG servers as well.

Finding a game is not a big problem, there are always players on and the lower population isn't a big deal with custom server browsers.

In fact, that is as good an argument as any for why they should implement this feature in all halo games. I would have no trouble finding halo 3 BTB games if that were the case.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
The thing is there are always people online playin in the smgclan and monstermoose dedicated servers and quite a few of them are regulars and are pretty good.

If their not playig the gametype/map that I want, i find that if I start a midship/district/turf lobby it usually takes less than an a half hour to get a consistent full good lobby going where you just keep playin game to game.

Otherwise there are 24/7 lockout/district/coag servers that are allways full of players. And there are quite frequently partly filled MLG servers as well.

Finding a game is not a big problem, there are always players on and the lower population isn't a big deal with custom server browsers.

In fact, that is as good an argument as any for why they should implement this feature in all halo games. I would have no trouble finding halo 3 BTB games if that were the case.

So I can hop on at any time and play MLG Midship FFA all day?

FyreWulff

Sweet concept they got there but eww at the fact the streams are like 15fps at best. wtf

Yeah, it's definitely limited by the fact that the 360 has to render to the stream, but still neat since it lowers the barrier to streaming.

They also kind of put a carrot on a stick by restricting it to league games only.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom