• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT13|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rtas

God I love going 29 for 3 in the infinity challenge playlist, especially when the entire enemy team used boltshots and failed miserably, overkill extermination seconds after the game began, the tears tasted so sweet :D

Tawpgun

You've got nothing to worry about, I'm sure 343 will patch it soon.

Seriously though, didn't ANYONE think allowing people to spawn with camo, a mini-shotgun, and extra-ammo was a bad idea? There's no way 343 was like, "no one will abuse this!"

That was the fucking logic with the entire game.

This is my first full day back from school so I got time to play Halo now. And all this shit is adding up. Bullshit ordnance. Bullshit perks. Bullshit AA's. Bullshit spawning with BOLTSHOT, PLASMA PISTOL, PLASMA NADES.

Literally, when I first found out you could spawn with plasma pistols and plasma nades I said "Oh, surely they would be banned from BTB" I was met with "Yeah probably, how could they not" responses. You know, people applied COMMON FUCKING SENSE.

Then once we saw that plasma pistol and nades were available on spawn in the early builds I fucking called it out again. And was met with some agreement, but a lot of slrp slrp, but sort of justified slrp. They said "Don't worry, its just a show floor build, 343 isn't that dumb there's no way they'd give players plasma pistols and nades in BTB."

And there were some, the LOL response, "Dude its not like everyone is going to be using them"

WHAT. WERE. THEY. THINKING.

Then Boltshot is damn near inexcusable also. On a lesser deal note I can't believe they replaced Armor Lock with another AA with the same concept. Shit's still annoying as all hell.

Everything about this game screams LOL FOLLOW THE TRENDS FUUUUCK BALANCE.

Then you have things that are like REEEALLLLYYY WTF like removing the Red X's.

What the fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck its 2012

p.s. yes i mad

Omni

On a lesser deal note I can't believe they replaced Armor Lock with another AA with the same concept. Shit's still annoying as all hell.

THANK YOU.

Every time I've brought this up I've been given responses like "Oh but if you just throw a grenade" Oh please. The shit is just annoying. It serves to do nothing but to frustrate the players it's used against.

Fracas

#fuckonami
That was the fucking logic with the entire game.

This is my first full day back from school so I got time to play Halo now. And all this shit is adding up. Bullshit ordnance. Bullshit perks. Bullshit AA's. Bullshit spawning with BOLTSHOT, PLASMA PISTOL, PLASMA NADES.

Literally, when I first found out you could spawn with plasma pistols and plasma nades I said "Oh, surely they would be banned from BTB" I was met with "Yeah probably, how could they not" responses. You know, people applied COMMON FUCKING SENSE.

Then once we saw that plasma pistol and nades were available on spawn in the early builds I fucking called it out again. And was met with some agreement, but a lot of slrp slrp, but sort of justified slrp. They said "Don't worry, its just a show floor build, 343 isn't that dumb there's no way they'd give players plasma pistols and nades in BTB."

And there were some, the LOL response, "Dude its not like everyone is going to be using them"

WHAT. WERE. THEY. THINKING.

Then Boltshot is damn near inexcusable also. On a lesser deal note I can't believe they replaced Armor Lock with another AA with the same concept. Shit's still annoying as all hell.

Everything about this game screams LOL FOLLOW THE TRENDS FUUUUCK BALANCE.

Then you have things that are like REEEALLLLYYY WTF like removing the Red X's.

What the fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck its 2012

p.s. yes i mad

There are better games out there right now. Give them a shot. Wait until the supposed fun patch in 2013.

Rtas

I disagree, you had essentially 1 in 12 kills affected by the Jetpack. That isn't broken just because another player got the drop on you.

The only part of Halo 4 jetpack nerfing I agree with is to remove it from classic playlists, again 1-3 playlists without jetpack but for all other "default" playlists the jetpack is already nerfed enough and the maps designed around that.

The thing is I had him beat, I understand its not broken, its just cheap, it suffers similar to armor lock, if you're about to die, and have no ammo, you should still die, not jetpack to an instant turnaround

J10

Banned
LATE: If one of you gets that job at 343 and turns Halo back to normal please leave radar in Team Slayer and bring back the Chopper. Thanks.

Fracas

#fuckonami
I'm understandably in the minority here, but the only Halo games I consider good are 1-3. Reach and Halo 4 have decent campaigns, but I despise the multiplayer (relatively speaking, of course). ODST has the atmosphere, but the characters and enemy encounters don't do it for me.

I'm not saying Blops2 is better, but its a much more chilled environment. Its just all about smoking blunts and easy shooting. Plus I need teammates.

Omni

I'm understandably in the minority here, but the only Halo games I consider good are 1-3. Reach and Halo 4 have decent campaigns, but I despise the multiplayer (relatively speaking, of course). ODST has the atmosphere, but the characters and enemy encounters don't do it for me.
Samee.

Though ODST had that one moment where they kill the Brute Chieftain... which was badass, because it's something we had never seen in a Halo game before. Firefight was amazing too.

I think each successive main game in the series has gotten gradually worse but 2 and 3 had the benefit of still being good despite that. 2 was a leg up on CE in terms of god tier maps though for sure.

DeadNames

Banned

Halo 4 has the potential to be Halo 2 tier in terms of MM if they remove loadouts and ordnance.

I wish 343 was willing to make big changes to their child :(

wwm0nkey

One of my friends who lurks here has 2 extra codes for the specializations if anyone needs ones (I imagine some people in EU might)

Since she doesn't have an account just message her on youtube.
(She has SOME Halo videos there too lol)

Wait I thought they were all good. I'm most certainly in the minority here it seems

I'm in that boat with you, I've liked all the Halo games too. I have no issue with a different experience each time.

Halo 4 has the potential to be Halo 2 tier in terms of MM if they remove loadouts and ordnance.

I wish 343 was willing to make big changes to their child :(

My personal guess is we will see this "old vs new" play out early next year. I imagine the updated Slayer Pro iteration will be closer to the old classic experience. We all know 343i are segmenting the playlists now so it will be interesting to watch the populations of new vs. old. I think there is more than enough room for both but it's going to interesting to see the results about which proves more popular.

Rev3rb

lol.

But agreed. As far as MP goes and such.

Halo CE: Amazing
Halo 2: Amazing
Halo 3: Really good
Halo Reach: RIP Halo.
Halo 4 in its current state: Eh.

Fixed. MP-wise, Reach was the lowest point. H4, is a stepping stone to bringing MP back.

CyReN

27627475.jpg

Halo 4 is a good game, just lacking a TU, small maps, playlist management, and a PR person.

Tawpgun

I was like this at first but all this shit is getting to me.

Worst thing about Halo Reach was the bloom and nades, and bloom got sort of fixed after the TU. Like straight up, I had more fun in Squad Slayer/playing with people in Reach than I have had playing with people in H4 as of now.

The one thing I do recognize is at its core Halo 4 is much better than Reach. Shame 343 took their creation and covered it in dogshit mechanics

Reach changed Halo's mechanics? That's a new one.
Yeah, Halo 4 changed a lot more core halo shit than Reach did.

DeadNames

Banned
How to fix Halo 4 by DeadNames

REMOVE:

Personal/global ordnance
Perks

ADD:

Static weapon spawns

KEEP:

Loadouts (primary, secondary, grenade)
default sprint.

Is that so hard? It keeps classic halo in there while adding new elements that 343 (activision) made.

Tawpgun

How to fix Halo 4 by DeadNames

REMOVE:

Personal/global ordnance
Perks
Boltshot

ADD:

Static weapon spawns
Red X

KEEP:

Loadouts (primary, secondary, grenade) (ban plasma pistol/plasma nade from BTB)
default sprint.

Is that so hard? It keeps classic halo in there while adding new elements that 343 (activision) made.
There we go. Much better.

Rtas

I'm in that boat with you, I've liked all the Halo games too. I have no issue with a different experience each time.

My personal guess is we will see this "old vs new" play out early next year. I imagine the updated Slayer Pro iteration will be closer to the old classic experience. We all know 343i are segmenting the playlists now so it will be interesting to watch the populations of new vs. old. I think there is more than enough room for both but it's going to interesting to see the results about which proves more popular.

Everyone seems to be basing their opinions ont he games on the multiplayer, and to be honest, I don't give a shit about the multiplayer, I play it yeah sure,but it doesn't make or break the game for me, campaign wise Halo has always completely outplayed the competition.

ElRenoRaven

Armor abilities and bloom were the turning point, at least for me.

However, I will say that Reach feels much more like Halo than Halo 4 does. At least in its current state.

You know the only thing that bothered me about it was the AA's. Other then that I loved Reach. The bloom really just did not bother me. I could have taken it or left it. If anything I hate flinch a hell of a lot more.

FyreWulff

Armor abilities and bloom were the turning point, at least for me.

However, I will say that Reach feels much more like Halo than Halo 4 does. At least in its current state.

Equipment was introduced by Halo 3 and bloom has been in every single Halo game on at least one gun.

Halo 4, meanwhile, completely removed weapon control (no weapons on map allowed, random spawns, random drops, someone can summon their own power weapons to the prime location to use them in), map control (spawn system basically ignores what the map author wants), player information (equipment couldn't be seen since Halo 3, but now someone can reload faster than you, or not get EMP'd, and you can't tell the difference between if they had a perk or if it was just lag), removed Firefight for LOOK HOW MUCH MONEY WE CAN SPEND ON VOICE ACTING, etc

Then they shoved a remake of an old map without even bothering to pull an Anniversary and have a Halo 4-optimized version and a Classic version. They just threw the Classic version in the game. With no attempt at updating it for the current game. At all. Gave everyone a 3X precision weapon to use on it, too, even after they were told by people were tired of that crap on Hem in Reach.

In terms of base engine mechanics being changed, Reach retained most everything from Halo 2 and 3. Even though they removed bleedthrough, the shields still mattered. The shields pretty much don't matter in Halo 4 anymore.

That feel when you know you will never enjoy Halo 2 in it's prime time.

Halo 2 during it's Prime was "Hey someone go check for an Elite meleeing next to their base and a Warthog with nobody in the passenger seat charging straight for the flag room. Wait, scratch that, their warthog is flying at us and firing tank bullets. Also, my gun is a ham."

Unless you're a CE diehard, I don't see how that's the case (which the poster you quoted is IIRC). I can easily put the Halo games into two quality groups: Halo 1, Halo 2, Halo 3, Halo 3: ODST in one, Reach and Halo 4 in the other.

Halo 1
^
ODST
v
Halo 2
Halo 3

Reach
Halo 4

Halo 2/3 really shouldn't be put into the same grouping with 1. As much as people overlook it and want to categorize 1-3 together, Halo 1 has an entirely different feel in every aspect of the game. No release after Halo 2 felt as jarring and different as the transition from Halo 1 to 2.

ElRenoRaven

That feel when you know you will never enjoy Halo 2 in it's prime time.

Yea. The game was damn fun even in spite of it's many flaws. The maps without a doubt were the star of the show in that game along with the vehicle jacking. I also feel that the vehicles while destructible were nice and tough. I honestly feel it got them right. Course I was never a big fan of Destructible vehicles. I'll never forget the feel in Halo 1 of wondering up on an abandoned vehicle in the middle of nowhere. It was always so damn fun. Now you tend to avoid vehicles because they're a deathtrap.

Everyone seems to be basing their opinions ont he games on the multiplayer, and to be honest, I don't give a shit about the multiplayer, I play it yeah sure,but it doesn't make or break the game for me, campaign wise Halo has always completely outplayed the competition.

Too right mate. It isn't all about the competition alone. Games are more than self gratification at beating another player.

Just look at the quality of CGI in campaign or SPOPS, look at the range of books in that there is an author you'll like and maybe some you won't. Perhaps you like the FUD series approach to the universe or the motion comics.

That's not even touching the multiplayer of just wanting to have fun with some Mantises and friends while laughing at crazy shit that Halo has always delivered. Halo 4 still has those moments just the same.

I agree some smaller maps, incomplete features and tweaks with playlist settings and management are in order. However that does not stop me having fun with this game, especially when playing with friends. It was the same with Reach or 3 or 2 or CE LAN's.

Fracas

#fuckonami
Equipment was introduced by Halo 3 and bloom has been in every single Halo game on at least one gun.

Halo 4, meanwhile, completely removed weapon control (no weapons on map allowed, random spawns, random drops, someone can summon their own power weapons to the prime location to use them in), map control (spawn system basically ignores what the map author wants), player information (equipment couldn't be seen since Halo 3, but now someone can reload faster than you, or not get EMP'd, and you can't tell the difference between if they had a perk or if it was just lag), removed Firefight for LOOK HOW MUCH MONEY WE CAN SPEND ON VOICE ACTING, etc

Then they shoved a remake of an old map without even bothering to pull an Anniversary and have a Halo 4-optimized version and a Classic version. They just threw the Classic version in the game. With no attempt at updating it for the current game. At all. Gave everyone a 3X precision weapon to use on it, too, even after they were told by people were tired of that crap on Hem in Reach.

In terms of base engine mechanics being changed, Reach retained most everything from Halo 2 and 3. Even though they removed bleedthrough, the shields still mattered. The shields pretty much don't matter in Halo 4 anymore.

Halo 2 during it's Prime was "Hey someone go check for an Elite meleeing next to their base and a Warthog with nobody in the passenger seat charging straight for the flag room. Wait, scratch that, their warthog is flying at us and firing tank bullets. Also, my gun is a ham."
No, I completely agree with you. The reason I focused on Reach in that thread is it just came out, and not everyone has played it. Halo 4 is definitely a bigger departure from "classic" Halo than Reach ever was.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom