• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT13|

Status
Not open for further replies.
Exactly what i think too.

Its the same kinda debate about the classic Halo playlists. The "bitching" for it in the forums is a lot louder than there is actual user support for it. Everytime i see the classic Halo playlists, whether its in 4 with pro or in Reach, there's always a super small user base. But from how loud they are in the forums, youd think it would be the number 1 playlist.

The game is not designed around 'classic' Halo so don't be surprised when hardly anyone's playing it. Just because they label a playlist 'classic' it doesn't mean the gameplay and maps contained therein are classic. When the game is designed around Infinity BTB don't be surprised when that's what people play.

I don't know the password, I didn't set this up

Sw7bC.png
Fine on their end, anyway.

The game is not designed around 'classic' Halo so don't be surprised when hardly anyone's playing it. Just because they label a playlist 'classic' it doesn't mean the gameplay and maps contained therein are classic. When the game is designed around Infinity BTB don't be surprised when that's what people play.

Anniversary played great man. From the old pistol to Headlong and other classic maps, it was amazing. And yet, no one was on it.

Anniversary played great man. From the old pistol to Headlong and other classic maps, it was amazing. And yet, no one was on it.

Headlong was my favourite map in Reach. Shit was the tits.

Must be my router, thank you!

np brah

Gears isn't a Microsoft IP, Fable's essentially dead.

Ok, true, but effectively it is. It's exclusive to Microsoft, and published by Microsoft. Also, that second bit is an opinion. I enjoyed Fable 3, the most recent Fable game.

Conor 419

Banned
Good point. I suppose I was more questioning whether PC vs Xbox could work rather than a Halo game made strictly for PC. But I also question that game's potential success. Maybe it would succeed, I don't know... I'd certainly love to see it, eventually, though.

You forgot Fable and Gears, both of which have had a title release on PC, as well as Halo. None of them successful, as far as I know. Execution was pretty poor, though, for the most part, save for perhaps Fable 3.

Gears isn't a Microsoft IP, Fable's essentially dead.

This is so true it's not even funny.

The old classic settings somewhat 70-95% accurate and the maps again 80-95% accurate for the engine/mechanics they could deliver viably for cost/benefit ratio and still no one got on it.

For me anniversary well and truly scratched the classic itch whenever I wanted to play those settings. The maps had a lot of love put into them too.

It played ok. The pistol was wildly inconsistent and there was bloom on it even when pulsing the trigger despite what 343 might say otherwise. The grenades were still Reach grenades too. Again though, you kind of proved my point: Anniversary was built from Reach, it is not its own entity. It's still sluggish Reach movement, lead weight bombs instead of grenades, ROF related bloom on the main precision weapon. It's also at its core a DLC playlist so of course its population will pale in comparison to Reach's main gametypes.

Another interesting factor in this argument is how a playlist is pushed/promoted on the MM playlist screen. You say there's low user support for 'classic' Halo going by the playlist numbers. One might agree if they saw the first month of the Anniversary playlists populations; the vast majority of the playerbase was playing Anniversary Squad, which was predominantly Reach gameplay on the classic maps. Anniversary classic was bottom of the population pile. Crucially, it was also bottom of the playlist selection screen. A month later when 343 flipped the positions of Squad and Classic in the playlist selection screen their populations exchanged 1:1. What does this tell us? Most players play the base offering from the developers, the list which the developers want most people to play: the one at the top of the screen. Labelling something 'classic' or even worse 'pro' and putting it way down the list is a sure fire way of ensuring that list is avoided by a lot of potential new players.

You're right about Headlong though. Great map in Reach, I could've played it all day, pro-pipe and snipe baby. RIP Anniversary BTB, seriously.

The only thing good about the CEAnniversary playlists was pooping on all those bad CE kids who thought they were the shit. but it did NOT play like CE. at all. Reach engine was too different and the weapons were nowhere close to how the CE weapons acted. Maps were all changed up...no, no it was not the same at all.

96% wins and a 1oo+ games win streak around that time.

Oh wow if you change your GT and I assume play some Reach it will update your bungie.net profile. Well essentially I guess it will create your Bungie.net new Reach profile.

Kuroyume

Banned
Anniversary came out too late. Played so much Halo Reach that by the time it came out I was tired of the game. Bought the map pack too and I think I played less than ten games on Headlong.

Havok

Instituting a daily challenge for getting a Perfection is one of the most misguided decisions I've seen made with this game. Every game, teammates crouching in the base taking potshots trying to get space points.

This lesson should have been learned by now.

It played ok. The pistol was wildly inconsistent and there was bloom on it even when pulsing the trigger despite what 343 might say otherwise. The grenades were still Reach grenades too. Again though, you kind of proved my point: Anniversary was built from Reach, it is not its own entity. It's still sluggish Reach movement, lead weight bombs instead of grenades, ROF related bloom on the main precision weapon. It's also at its core a DLC playlist so of course its population will pale in comparison to Reach's main gametypes.

Another interesting factor in this argument is how a playlist is pushed/promoted on the MM playlist screen. You say there's low user support for 'classic' Halo going by the playlist numbers. One might agree if they saw the first month of the Anniversary playlists populations; the vast majority of the playerbase was playing Anniversary Squad, which was predominantly Reach gameplay on the classic maps. Anniversary classic was bottom of the population pile. Crucially, it was also bottom of the playlist selection screen. A month later when 343 flipped the positions of Squad and Classic in the playlist selection screen their populations exchanged 1:1. What does this tell us? Most players play the base offering from the developers, the list which the developers want most people to play: the one at the top of the screen. Labelling something 'classic' or even worse 'pro' and putting it way down the list is a sure fire way of ensuring that list is avoided by a lot of potential new players.

You're right about Headlong though. Great map in Reach, I could've played it all day, pro-pipe and snipe baby. RIP Anniversary BTB, seriously.

Honestly, the little things i really didnt notice the difference. 1 flag ctf on headlong Reach was just as fun for me as it was in Halo2. Even better if you count the updated visuals. ;) I loved it and its extremely frustrating that they entirely removed a playlist for which 2 of the anniversary maps were created for.....just fokin stupid.

I would actually go back to anniversary right now just for big team on headlong. No joke.

Karl2177

Instituting a daily challenge for getting a Perfection is one of the most misguided decisions I've seen made with this game. Every game, teammates crouching in the base taking potshots trying to get space points.

This lesson should have been learned by now.

Don't forget the "get 15 secondary weapon kills in a single match" weekly challenge.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
halo 4 objective (ctf?) tonight? any takers? i dont want to play with randoms and slayer anymore.

say 9pm pst (or is it pdt?)

willow ve

Anniverisary reach multi was the best thing to happen to Halo since Halo 2.

I really enjoyed the anniversary maps and playlist. However I found the altered physics (most notably the jump height and "float" on the jumps - you feel like a sack of bricks) to be really distracting and awkward. I still played that list almost exclusively after it was launched, but to me it felt a bit shoehorned into the game.

Havok

Don't forget the "get 15 secondary weapon kills in a single match" weekly challenge.
At least SWAT exists for people who want to do that without reducing their effectiveness that much :/

But yeah, there are a ton of Halo 4 challenges that not only didn't learn the lessons from Reach, but go backwards from Reach's set and influence player behavior far more. A real shame.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
the anniversary map pack proved to me that even i am affected by rose tinted glasses. the CE maps, by and large, were terrible. even my long cherished damnation.

Halo 4 challenges that not only didn't learn the lessons from Reach, but go backwards from Reach's set and influence player behavior far more. A real shame.

Isn't that what challenges and/or achievements are by design, virtual carrots on sticks to keep people playing certain things or keep them coming back online?

Personally I've never been one for achievements or challenges hunting at all. I just play.

Isn't that what challenges and/or achievements are by design, virtual carrots on sticks to keep people playing certain things or keep them coming back online?

Personally I've never been one for achievements or challenges hunting at all. I just play.

Good challenges, yes.

However Reach had things like "Get 3 sticks in a game" so all day you just had kids trying to run up to you and stick you, and it made the game stupid. It also made your teammates do really dumb stuff and go 1 and 18 because they were trying to get 3 assassinations in one game instead of actually playing the game like it shoudl be played.

However "get 100 kills today" would be considered a good challenge, it motivates players to continue playing by rewarding them but their gameplay doesn't have to change in anyway.

Best to keep your challenges generic if possible.

Havok

You can do that without dictating a specific behavior - in the case of the perfection challenge, sitting in the base trying to preserve a K/D because the game says they'll get a present if they do.

Reach challenges, while not all perfect, allowed for a broad variety of behaviors. Get a certain number of a class of medals, get a number of kills in a certain section of the game (multi/campaign/firefight) or anywhere in the game. There are right ways to reward people for playing and wrong ways. Reach had some bad ones too, like the assassination and sticky challenges, but by and large they gave more freedom to the player and didn't encourage shitty tactics as much.

Booshka

the anniversary map pack proved to me that even i am affected by rose tinted glasses. the CE maps, by and large, were terrible. even my long cherished damnation.

Prisoner is such a bad map.
o_O

Along with Chill Out they are the best 2v2 Halo maps ever made. Halo CE is best in 2v2, and most of the maps play best in 2v2 slayer (spawns work exceptionally well). Halo CE is mostly chaotic and utterly ridiculous in 4v4 on most maps, it's still fun, but it's mostly out of control. Halo 2 is when Halo really became a great 4v4 game, before that, it was all about 2v2.

Damnation, Battle Creek, Boarding Action and Hang Em High are decent for 4v4, but still, Halo CE is a 2v2 and 1v1 game. Unless you are playing Blood Gulch or Sidewinder, high player counts are too manic.

Best to keep your challenges generic if possible.

You can do that without dictating a specific behavior

I get you now, thanks. Do you think they should have small amounts of those behavioural ones though, just for minimal variety or less skilled or less time played sake?

Halo CE is best in 2v2, and most of the maps play best in 2v2 slayer (spawns work exceptionally well). Halo CE is mostly chaotic and utterly ridiculous in 4v4 on most maps, it's still fun, but it's mostly out of control. Halo 2 is when Halo really became a great 4v4 game, before that, it was all about 2v2.

Very true and surely due to the development parameters e.g. CE without xbox live so all split screen or LAN based hence the maps/gameplay are developed around that principle.

Tawpgun

I'm not sure if the CE maps were just bad, or bad with non-CE gameplay.

Chillout worked well in Halo 3.
Beaver Creek was awesome in Halo 2, and Reach I guess. Jetpacks fucked it though.

I've NEVER EVER EVER liked Hang Em High. I think its shitty.

Bloodgulch really only worked in CE. It was ok in Halo 2.

FyreWulff

@tashi https://twitter.com/fyrewulff/status/281942328934023168/photo/1

It better work this time, I had to walk through Vancouver's DTES to get it, including a final boss of one mean looking motherfucker that had a big dog off a leash that followed me to whichever side of the street I tried to cross to.

I'm not sure if the CE maps were just bad, or bad with non-CE gameplay.

The CE maps were a product of their time, they don't really need to ever be directly ported ever again. I think Reach proved that spiritual successors are better than direct remakes. Also it was kind of pointless to burn Headlong on a game that was already being sent down the river.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom