• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT13|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kuroyume

Banned
What happened with TU Reach?
I didn't stick around long and dipped out the forums for a while.
I missed it and dont have Reach anymore.

• Make damage bleed to health through shields possible.
• Make reticle bloom configurable.
• Modify Armor Lock.
-- Sticky grenade will not be nullified if you use Armor Lock after being stuck.
-- Damage received while in Armor Lock is transferred to remaining Armor Ability energy.
-- How much the damage depletes your Armor Lock energy is configurable.
• Modify Active Camo.
-- Reduce the bonus time the player gets in Active Camo while standing still.
-- Reduce the overall length of time the player can be in Active Camo.
• Remove Sword block.
-- Disable the ability to block Sword attacks using melee with anything other than another Sword.
• Enable playing Co-Op Campaign and Firefight without requiring a HDD.

http://www.trueachievements.com/n5569/halo-reach-title-update-releases-today.htm

One thing I love about the Halo campaigns is that you can replay them over and over again and still discover new things about them. Was playing Coastal Highway earlier today and I discovered two weapon racks that I've never noticed before. One contains silenced SMGs and a shotgun, the other has ARs and some rockets.

Not entirely unrelated, but remember Vidmaster Deja Vu? I loved going down into the tunnel on the highway and getting the rocket launchers with 1,000 rockets each in them. Vidmaster achievements were awesome.

Fracas

#fuckonami
What happened with TU Reach?
I didn't stick around long and dipped out the forums for a while.
I missed it and dont have Reach anymore.
I tried to find the official page on what was included in the TU, but of course I'm getting errors. This is all I remember:

At first, the TU did this (in certain playlists)

-reduced bloom to 85%
-brought back bleedthrough
-removed sword block (except when you are also using a sword)
-made a 3sk pistol possible (for the anniversary playlist)

Then bleedthrough was removed. The TU slowly crept through most of the playlists, save for Action Sack (RIP), Grifball, Infection, and SWAT.

edit: Oh yeah, Kuroyume found another source. Forgot about armor lock and camo fixes.

The TU basically made Reach playable again.

Akai__

Entirely unrelated, but remember Vidmaster Deja Vu? I loved going down into the tunnel on the highway and getting the rocket launchers with 1000 rockets each in them. Vidmaster achievements were awesome.

Yeah, was nothing, but fun! And at the end you had still like 900 rockets left. :lol

Yes, they are. They are not easy to counter.

How am I supposed to fight a guy who's invisible, a player 20 yards in the air, and someone tracking my exact location down through the walls at the same time? Wtf happened to halo? Pathetic.

Well assuming no perks:

Invisible: Only invisible when he's not running or shooting, your radar alerts you when one is around, PV will let you see them rather clearly.

Jetpack: Uh, shoot him? Nothing is preventing you from shooting the loud, slow-moving dude hovering in the air.

The only annoying part about the Jetpack is when you're losing a fire-fight and get to cover, only to have it easily circumvented by the Jetpack hopping over. But this is the same game that punishes people for retreating with stopping-power, so what can you do?

PV: Listen for the audio cue (and radar cue), then back off away from the corner and wait 10 seconds. If he doesn't charge after you, he's lost you and his ability is recharging.

TheOddOne

Squad Slayer was peak Reach. No idea why the playlist got tossed.
tumblr_lunt92GhbX1r6984go1_400.gif

Overdoziz

Banned
Well assuming no perks:

Invisible: Only invisible when he's not running or shooting, your radar alerts you when one is around, PV will let you see them rather clearly.

Jetpack: Uh, shoot him? Nothing is preventing you from shooting the loud, slow-moving dude hovering in the air.

The only annoying part about the Jetpack is when you're losing a fire-fight and get to cover, only to have it easily circumvented by the Jetpack hopping over. But this is the same game that punishes people for retreating with stopping-power, so what can you do?

PV: Listen for the audio cue (and radar cue), then back off away from the corner and wait 10 seconds. If he doesn't charge after you, he's lost you and his ability is recharging.
It's 2010 all over again.
Squad Slayer was peak Reach. No idea why the playlist got tossed.
I'll ask David via Twitter.
Oh.

Re: Destiny, I get the feeling it'll be like Planetside or something. I really wouldn't expect some Halo saviour or even the Halo template out of it whatever it is, you're just setting yourselves up for disappointment. Bungie's series have always been pretty different from one another.

Cool, I can't even remember how I went about that achievement. Probably just jacked ghosts and hoped for the best.

Yeah I have great fear about this reveal.
I feel like destiny is going to be WOW mixed with Halo Reach. I don't see bungie looking to head the MLG route again.

Hope I'm wrong

Nah, they want to make something different, let them. I'm sure it will be amazing for what it is, but it's obviously not going to be a competitive shooter.

Blueblur1

This is the first halo game that I didnt buy the first mappack instantly and automatically.
And this is without a doubt the least amount of maps I've ever had at launch in the two playlists I play. Slayer / CTF
I bought it and was immediately left feeling empty. Unlike all previous map pack purchases, I was not excited nor was I satisfied by it. The maps are just not interesting when all they are blank arenas for fighting in.

Halo 4 and Reach are both bad Halo games.

Halo 1-3 are range from good to excellent.

I do not understand how any Halo fan can defend this game and the decisions 343 has made and continues to make.

If this is what Halo is, then I am no longer a fan. In addition I cannot support 343's business practices and their game development philosophy. I doubt I will get Halo 5 at this point and IF I do it will be used or a rental because I do not feel the need to fund this company. In the meantime, I still need to tie up some Halo 4 achievements so I can lay this "Halo" game to rest.

If they fixed at least some of your problems with the game, would you come back with a TU? If so, which are the most important to you?

Look at these battles.. The way the Pistol handled with the rest of the sandbox was and still is incredibly fun and skillful.

I was trying to find this skill gap pic I remember from when Halo 3 released, but this is all I could find:
images

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Same.

TU MLG was absolutely brilliant. Just needed some form of team based visual ranking system.

I thought all iterations of the MLG settings were better than what Bungie put out. Even v1 with bloom and armor lock as a pick up.

Same went for Halo 3. Stock Halo 3 was slow as fuck, equipment sucked and LOL AR starts.

willow ve

That H1 stream reminds me of a few great things.

1. Picking up grenades was great
2. Small maps > Big maps
3. You don't notice the lack of sprint if the maps are designed small enough
4. Powerups on map > spawning with abilities
5. There was a game without super magnetized melee - you either hit them or you didn't
6. A 3-5 second respawn timer is great

Arnie

I thought all iterations of the MLG settings were better than what Bungie put out. Even v1 with bloom and armor lock as a pick up.

Same went for Halo 3. Stock Halo 3 was slow as fuck, equipment sucked and LOL AR starts.
I agree.

I remember at some point post christmas in early 2008 when I searched and got Team BRs. Blew my mind.

Watching the Halo Council stream, does anyone use anything other than the pistol? Not even the power weapons are getting any love.

It's kind of boring to watch.

willow ve

Watching the Halo Council stream, does anyone use anything other than the pistol? Not even the power weapons are getting any love.

In an 8 person free for all there isn't much use to picking up a sniper - you die so quickly with multiple people with pistols and grenades. Rockets would be useful, but I always felt that the sniper in H1 is definitely a team weapon.

Dirtbag

First time watching Halo CE mp?

It's definitely a different style / era.
A more civilized age.

Yeah, DMRs and Boltshots are much more fun to watch.

Okay...? Did I say I enjoyed watching that? Or Halo 4 streams in general? I was only asking for more weapon usage so I can enjoy the stream more.

That Battle Creek CTF game was much more to my liking, and a lot more fun to watch.

u4iX

Okay...? Did I say I enjoyed watching that? Or Halo 4 streams in general? I was only asking for more weapon usage so I can enjoy the stream more.

That Battle Creek CTF game was much more to my liking.

There's an elegance to pistol battles, for me at least, just like a mirror match in a fighting game. The battle actually matters, like a mini story arc within the overall plot of the match.

Leading shots, bodied 5sk or going for a 3sk, and strafing all make the individual battles that much more interesting in their own right.

There's an elegance to pistol battles, for me at least, just like a mirror match in a fighting game. The battle actually matters, like a mini story arc within the overall plot of the match.

Leading shots, bodied 5sk or going for a 3sk, and strafing all make the individual battles that much more interesting in their own right.

Makes the watching far too repetitive for my tastes. I like variety. Same feelings extend to watching montages consisting of only BR and sniper kills. After you've seen a couple, nothing really stands out. On the other hand, I'll always remember something like this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom