• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT13|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tawpgun

How far are you? I just finished the first episode.

Who did you pick?

Just beat the entire thing

Which choice?

what is so good about it?seems like heavy rain or something.

Haven't played Heavy Rain but everything about it just fit together so perfectly. I have a sister who's 9 years old also so that doubled the feels.

Beautiful game. I'd put this on the shelf of "Games that are definitely art"

should i buy the walking dead since it's on sale today?

WHAT THE FUCK ARE YOU DOING GO

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Frankie or David (I think it was David) said so here. Shrunken down to that size, a lot of the weapons' silhouettes looked too similar to tell them apart, so it was dropped.
Better there and potentially distinguishable than not there. Enough space to the right of the weapon indicator to still put something in. Having it oh so slightly smaller than the pick up weapon indicators (which appear to be the same size as the regular weapon indicator on your HUD) shouldn't make them too confusing. Plus that's something you have to consciously look towards anyways considering how far away in the corner of the screen it is.

I guess that explains the addition of that the text when you go to pick up a weapon in Halo 4, but that text is difficult to read anyways, it's still much more efficient to recognize weapons by their silhouettes, which I can do just fine. The only really conflicting two are the Carbine and the Storm Rifle, and I can still distinguish the two at about the same speed as any other two weapons.

TCKaos

Just beat the entire thing

Which choice?

Doug or Carly?

jSKvs.jpg

Better there and potentially distinguishable than not there. Enough space to the right of the weapon indicator to still put something in. Having it oh so slightly smaller than the pick up weapon indicators (which appear to be the same size as the regular weapon indicator on your HUD) shouldn't make them too confusing. Plus that's something you have to consciously look towards anyways considering how far away in the corner of the screen it is.

I guess that explains the addition of that the text when you go to pick up a weapon in Halo 4, but that text is difficult to read anyways, it's still much more efficient to recognize weapons by their silhouettes, which I can do just fine. The only really conflicting two are the Carbine and the Storm Rifle, and I can still distinguish the two at about the same speed as any other two weapons.

I didn't exactly miss the secondary weapon indicator. Only speaking for myself here, but from my time with the multiplayer, I had no trouble remembering what two weapons I was carrying at any point in time.

The first episode is free.. so you can try it before you buy.

If you haven't done so already.

i did download it but havent gotten around to playing it. thanks for the heads up anyways

I bought all episodes today and have no clue what I have to look forward to, just saw many prizes for this game and many fellow GAffers saying it is awesome, so I couldn't say no

probably what i will do. i have so many games ive purchased and still working on them. just beat far cry 3 today and probably moving onto starting dishonored next week. ill just download walking deal and play it in a couple weeks

Any word on when the Halo Waypoint app will be updated so that it'll show your Halo 4 stats? Unless I'm missing something, it still only shows your Reach stats.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
what is so good about it?seems like heavy rain or something.

its an interactive movie, more or less. but something about having to make the tough choices and the intensity of some scenes when you are responsible for the outcome is much more exciting then being a passive viewer of a movie. i just finished the first episode myself and am enjoying it enough. definitely dont think its remotely goty material, but i did spend 200 for episode 2, so theres that.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
Doug or Carly?

jSKvs.jpg

eh,
by the time the zombies were breaking in and the game showed both characters struggling, i got deja vu of the earlier choice with the teen and duck and new what was coming. i hope future sofie's choice moments are more masked... oh, and carly. she had a gun

Dirtbag

One thing that always amuses me about GAF is when people claim that Halo 3 played better than Hal 1 and 2.

BTB did. Netcode in 2 / no plasma EMP for vehicles in 2 / more balanced sandbox / better BTB maps in 3

But yeah I did prefer 2, even with its numerous glitches above all halos (including CE).

blamite

As soon as I get back to my dorm where my opy of Reach is, I'm gonna try going back to Reach's Anniversary playlist for a bit. I think it's the kind of thing I'd really like right about now. Now that was 343 getting Halo right.

How far are you? I just finished the first episode.

Who did you pick?
I finished ep. 1 the other day, I'll probably go through the rest over the next few weeks.

Duck and Carley

BTB did. Netcode in 2 / no plasma EMP for vehicles in 2 / more balanced sandbox / better BTB maps in 3

halo 2 had the best btb

Valhalla, waterworks, coag, containment, headlong, terminal, etc. Plus the hitscan BR without spread.

Halo 2 shat on Halo 3's BTB

Valhalla wasn't in Halo 2.

Yes, Halo 2 was an amazing BTB experience.

Well somehow I accidentally forgot Zanzibar and put in valhalla. don't know how that happened.

OT, Walking Dead talk.

So, I downloaded the first episode of The Walking Dead after I found out it was free, and it received a lot of praise in this thread. I had no idea what it was going in. I think I'm almost done with episode one, but before I continue I want to ask a question. I'll probably be burned at the stake for saying this, but...

I can see the appeal, and the story and premise certainly has caught my interest, but does it, you know, actually get fun to play? As in, does it stop being an interactive movie experience? Because as a game it's boring.

Fracas

#fuckonami
OT, Walking Dead talk.

So, I downloaded the first episode of The Walking Dead after I found out it was free, and it received a lot of praise in this thread. I had no idea what it was going in. I think I'm almost done with episode one, but before I continue I want to ask a question. I'll probably be burned at the stake for saying this, but...

I can see the appeal, and the story and premise certainly has caught my interest, but does it, you know, actually get fun? As in, does it stop being an interactive movie experience? Because as a game it's boring.

It's not really a game. Like you said, it's basically an interactive movie. There are puzzles, but they're not really difficult.

And I love it!

Merguson

Banned
OT, Walking Dead talk.

I can see the appeal, and the story and premise certainly has caught my interest, but does it, you know, actually get fun? As in, does it stop being an interactive movie experience? Because as a game it's boring.

No. This is how the game plays.

Tunavi

Banned
OT, Walking Dead talk.

I can see the appeal, and the story and premise certainly has caught my interest, but does it, you know, actually get fun to play? As in, does it stop being an interactive movie experience? Because as a game it's boring.
You won't know until you finish part 1.

Kuroyume

Banned
How can anyone with a straight face say H3 BTB was better than H2 BTB? H3 BTB (pre Heavies) was the last time BTB was good I'll give you that but it paled in comparison to H2 BTB.

Coagulation (best version of this map set up), Waterworks, Relic, Containment, and Headlong

vs

Valhalla, Sandtrap (too fucking big), Rat's Nest, Standoff, Avalanche (okay this one I loved), and Last Resort (lol)?

It's not even close.

Not to mention H3 BTB had dumb shit like the laser, overpowered vehicles.... A warthog that takes like 20 grenades to blow and ridiculous chain gun, fuel rod cannon on the ghost, and a crazy ass tank, and you as a player are f'ing slow so it takes FOREEEEEEEEEEEEEEVERR to get across a map.

OT, Walking Dead talk.

Some people actually like pushing buttons to find whatever it triggers to move forward a straight and boring gameplay some games do it right some games welp .......not too well.

No plans to update it is the last I've heard.

http://app.halowaypoint.com/ is the alternative.

The online app is an absolute chore to navigate on mobile though, so updates to the native apps would be nice.

Hell, the app is a chore to navigate on the desktop as well. Something to chalk onto the list of disappointments with Halo 4 is the lack of a nice stats site to look at. The design of the site is horrifying on levels that I didn't think possible, and it doesn't even provide what I consider to be basic stat information, like you know, look at all your weapon kill numbers and percentages for competitive MP.

Merguson

Banned
The Walking Dead would probably be the game I enjoyed the most this year.

Granted I didn't play that many games this year but still.

heckfu

Banned
What kind of game doesn't even support inverted controls? I was so frustrated during the first episode I never finished it.

Arnie

It's my game of the year, as someone who's grown increasingly tired of games this year.

How much money and time was invested into Halo 4, yet I couldn't give a flying fuck about the Master Chief and his relationship to Cortana. After the end of The Walking Dead the relationship between Clem and Lee meant something, as did your interactions with all the characters along the way. And your choices had narrative ramifications, unlike most games where it's just shooting shit until the next fixed cutscene.

What kind of game doesn't even support inverted controls? I was so frustrated during the first episode I never finished it.
I'm bewildered that it would be that much of an impediment, even if you're not used to it. The game lets you take your own pace at it so outside of some rare cases there's nothing twitchy about it. In games where I couldn't normalize aiming like several 3D Zelda titles, I just got myself used to it.

yeah I can believe this is GOTY. It's not even a game
How do you define a game? A lot of the impact that comes from it is because of the player input, so it works very well for what it tries to do as a game.

Do you have a PC? I play inverted on console (had no idea there wasn't an option on Xbox!), but regular on PC with a mouse and keyboard. I'm sure there's some sort of way you can customize the controls on the PC version.

It's my game of the year, as someone who's grown increasingly tired of games this year.

How much money and time was invested into Halo 4, yet I couldn't give a flying fuck about the Master Chief and his relationship to Cortona. After the end of The Walking Dead the relationship between Clem and Lee meant something, as did your interactions with all the characters along the way. And your choices had narrative ramifications, unlike most games where it's just shooting shit until the next fixed cutscene.
I haven't played Walking Dead yet (I did buy all of the episodes today) and so I am curious what the buzz is about.

About Cortana's and Chief's relationship. I thought it was presented pretty well in the game. I think it is the best thing about Halo 4's campaign. I love Cortana's lines like "I can give you over forty thousand reasons why that sun isn't real." or a Rampancy chitchat. Yes. They are cheesy but I enjoyed the most of it. I think that will be the reason why I am going to play through Halo 4 again after all those years, even if some areas of the campaign feeling empty.

Arnie

I haven't played Walking Dead yet (I did buy all of the episodes today) and so I am curious what the buzz is about.

About Cortana's and Chief's relationship. I thought it was presented pretty well in the game. I think it is the best thing about Halo 4's campaign. I love Cortana's lines like "I can give you over forty thousand reasons why that sun isn't real." or a Rampancy chitchat. Yes. They are cheesy but I enjoyed the most of it. I think that will be the reason why I am going to play through Halo 4 again after all those years, even if some areas of the campaign feeling empty.
I agree that their relationship is well presented, and is without doubt the highlight of the campaign, but because it's all a static story laid out in front of you without any input from me, the player, I can't connect to it.

I'm not spoiling The Walking Dead when I say that you do impact on the various relationships in the game, through your words and your actions, and as a result the connections each character make feel worthwhile and engaging.

Between major narrative moments in The Walking Dead I'm doing things that relate very specifically to the story at hand, I'll invent an example, I'm searching for Clem's backpack (this isn't spoiling anything, I made it up). If I do some investigating and find it, and Clem's happy, then that relationship grows as a result of my actions, but that was completely optional. In Halo 4 it's just shooting some nameless aliens in between button presses that trigger cutscenes completely unrelated to the relationship between Chief and Cortana.

Shooters aren't conducive to building rich characters, or telling meaningful stories, because 90% of your engagement with the universe is destroying things.

I agree that their relationship is well presented, and is without doubt the highlight of the campaign, but because it's all a static story laid out in front of you without any input from me, the player, I can't connect to it.

I'm not spoiling The Walking Dead when I say that you do impact on the various relationships in the game, through your words and your actions, and as a result the connections each character make feel worthwhile and engaging.

Between major narrative moments in The Walking Dead I'm doing things that relate very specifically to the story at hand, I'll invent an example, I'm searching for Clem's backpack (this isn't spoiling anything, I made it up). If I do some investigating and find it, and Clem's happy, then that relationship grows as a result of my actions, but that was completely optional. In Halo 4 it's just shooting some nameless aliens in between button presses that trigger cutscenes completely unrelated to the relationship between Chief and Cortana.

Shooters aren't conducive to building rich characters, or telling meaningful stories, because 90% of your engagement with the universe is destroying things.
Yes. But you are comparing two different games to be honest. The player had no real control over the story in Halo. The player's doing has no real impact. It would be cool if 343i implants something like this in Halo 5. I mean who ever is going to be Chief's companion says "Chief, you have to deal with this fast.". The dialogue after finishing that sequences depends how fast you are. The companion sounds angry if you do the sequence too slow or praise you etc.. Would be pretty cool

How do you define a game? A lot of the impact that comes from it is because of the player input, so it works very well for what it tries to do as a game.
If I had to, I'd define a game as an entertainment medium based on person interaction and responsiveness. Now, I think you can take that definition and apply it to TWD, but with one key difference: an entertainment medium based on allowed person interaction and responsiveness. Am I making sense? It strings you along until it tells you when you can interact with it.

It's why it's better described as an interactive movie experience. If you wanted to argue that TWD is Experience of the Year, from what I played you'd have a damn good argument. But Game of the Year? I'd be hesitant to say it even qualifies. Even if you disagree with my definition, surely there's an arc where we agree that, say, Halo 4 is more of a game than TWD?

I get bored and annoyed with interactive movie experiences. Bored because the "gameplay" is essentially prompts presented to me at various points without any sort of skill or difficulty and barely any thought involved (leaving out story decisions here). Annoyed because a) whenever the game does present me with a prompt, it's like it's teasing me for greater interaction only to yank it away from me as soon as it's over and b) I get anxious to do something – anything! – at every other point. It's trying to be movie and a game, and it's doing neither very well. Of course, that's just me, and as I said before, I can see the appeal and people certainly enjoy it, but it's not my cup o' tea.

Not hating on TWD here, but more commenting on "games" like it in general, which makes for interesting discussion. And it all kind of relates to my "big moments" in Halo campaigns post.

Edit: Actually, you know what, strike most of that. I switched my position from it being a poor game to questioning whether it is a game, and that doesn't make any sense. I think it's a poor game for my "boring and annoying" reasons outlined above, but it's certainly a game.

Tunavi

Banned
If I had to, I'd define a game as an entertainment medium based on person interaction and responsiveness. Now, I think you can take that definition and apply it to TWD, but with one key difference: an entertainment medium based on allowed person interaction and responsiveness. Am I making sense? It strings you along until it tells you when you can interact with it.

It's why it's better described as an interactive movie experience. If you wanted to argue that TWD is Experience of the Year, from what I played you'd have a damn good argument. But Game of the Year? I'd be hesitant to say it even qualifies. Even if you disagree with my definition, surely there's an arc where we agree that, say, Halo 4 is more of a game than TWD?

I get bored and annoyed with interactive movie experiences. Bored because the "gameplay" is essentially prompts presented to me at various points without any sort of skill or difficulty and barely any thought involved (leaving out story decisions here). Annoyed because a) whenever the game does present me with a prompt, it's like it's teasing me for greater interaction only to yank it away from me as soon as it's over and b) I get anxious to do something – anything! – at every other point. It's trying to be movie and a game, and it's doing neither very well. Of course, that's just me, and as I said before, I can see the appeal and people certainly enjoy it, but it's not my cup o' tea.

Not hating on TWD here, but more commenting on "games" like it in general, which makes for interesting discussion. And it all kind of relates to my "big moments" in Halo campaigns post.
Then don't play it.

Arnie

Yes. But you are comparing two different games to be honest. The player had no real control over the story in Halo. The player's doing has no real impact. It would be cool if 343i implants something like this in Halo 5. I mean who ever is going to be Chief's companion says "Chief, you have to deal with this fast.". The dialogue after finishing that sequences depends how fast you are. The companion sounds angry if you do the sequence too slow or praise you etc.. Would be pretty cool

Oh, I know, it's not an apples to apples comparison, just an example of how one does a far better job, inherently, at developing deep character interactions.

When all's said and done, the Halo 4 campaign was trying to present a story, as was The Walking Dead. I thought the latter was much more successful in its aims, because it built the game around the story, and not vice versa.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom