• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT13|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dirtbag

Even HERE, that's false. The fact that you can write this says that you pretty much gloss over anything you don't agree with.

Wutacular!

I'm very dissapointed with 4 but there is no consensus on anything.
For every one fan that's burnt there is another one that is refreshed. I wish I was one of the excited ones

Tawpgun

Even HERE, that's false. The fact that you can write this says that you pretty much gloss over anything you don't agree with.

Near universal. I'm not talking about the general consensus of the game. That's all up in everywhere. Some people love it here. Others tolerate it in different levels. Some outright sold it.

But in terms of specifics, the VAST majority of people here don't like the global ordnance system in its current form, or don't care for it. I saw maybe one person here saying they actually preferred this random clusterfuck over what was before.

NO ONE here likes the fact that they removed the red X's. The closest this change got as far as support was from people trying to justify it because of Instant Respawn and HUD clutter.

The vast majority here don't like the boltshot in its current form. Some are ok with it but feel it could use a nerf. People here are talking about nerfing it to varying degrees. Or outright removing it and making it a power weapon or something.

I think the only person fine with BTB in its current form is Kuroyame because he thinks Vehicles are the worst thing about Halo.

Dirtbag

the people who played oddball swordbase stopped playing halo

What was swordbase designed for? I never really figured out what the map was good at. Cooridoors and camp spots, and complete jetpack dominance. I guess HeadHunter was pretty fun there.

No, there is a consensus and it's not about what makes "good Halo," it's about what makes good gameplay.

Sorry dude.

You could substitute "good gameplay" for "good Halo" and my post still applies. AAs could make for good gameplay if implemented properly; same for every mechanic. But in the end, that may or may not make for good Halo. A lot of the attitudes I've described emanate with the implication that they enjoy an objectively better Halo, and there's no objectively better Halo. I'm not saying objections by older fans have less merit than anyone else, just that the attitude that, many times, comes along with those opinions is grating.

And, really, when I said "older fans" I was limiting that to people who hate Halo 4 but enjoy the original trilogy. There are people who are long time fans but also enjoy Halo 4. What consensus among older fans are we talking about? The one that includes those who enjoy Halo 4 as well or the one that doesn't? Why is one more right than the other?

One more thing: I am not a dude. I told you this yesterday. I am not a "bro" nor a "he." You are being very insulting with these repeated masculine references toward me, so please stop it.

Dirtbag

Near universal. I'm not talking about the general consensus of the game. That's all up in everywhere. Some people love it here. Others tolerate it in different levels. Some outright sold it.

But in terms of specifics, the VAST majority of people here don't like the global ordnance system in its current form, or don't care for it. I saw maybe one person here saying they actually preferred this random clusterfuck over what was before.

NO ONE here likes the fact that they removed the red X's. The closest this change got as far as support was from people trying to justify it because of Instant Respawn and HUD clutter.

The vast majority here don't like the boltshot in its current form. Some are ok with it but feel it could use a nerf. People here are talking about nerfing it to varying degrees. Or outright removing it and making it a power weapon or something.

I think the only person fine with BTB in its current form is Kuroyame because he thinks Vehicles are the worst thing about Halo.

Red X's and universal sprint might have been deaths like dominos where you'd have kills stagnate in one spot because the battle wouldnt migrate around much. Who knows, the system in place has changed the overall flow so much, you can't even be sure red x's wouldn't fuck things up further.

Tawpgun

Red X's and universal sprint might have been deaths like dominos where you'd have kills stagnate in one spot because the battle wouldnt migrate around much. Who knows, the system in place has changed the overall flow so much, you can't even be sure red x's wouldn't fuck things up further.

What?

How would Red X's fuck everything up?

It's not even the red X's, the entire indicators were completley "nerfed" Ever since Halo 2 there was a VERY CLEAR message of teammates firing, taking damage, and even using their mic.

Halo 4's I believe has VERY SUBTLE tint changes when taking damage. Not sure about firing. And NOTHING for using the mic.

And then the red x's are completley gone, for NO. REASON.

The battle migrates around because good maps have multiple power areas to hold. That and the engine for map movement has always been power weapon spawns. But then again in Halo 4...

PS Dax, Bro and dude have masculine connotations to it, but I call many a girls bro and dude.

Dirtbag

What?

How would Red X's fuck everything up?

It's not even the red X's, the entire indicators were completley "nerfed" Ever since Halo 2 there was a VERY CLEAR message of teammates firing, taking damage, and even using their mic.

Halo 4's I believe has VERY SUBTLE tint changes when taking damage. Not sure about firing. And NOTHING for using the mic.

And then the red x's are completley gone, for NO. REASON.

The battle migrates around because good maps have multiple power areas to hold. That and the engine for map movement has always been power weapon spawns. But then again in Halo 4...

I'm just offering you a possible reason for its removal. The game's pace is so fucked up with instant respawn / sprint / chuck grenades already that further indications as to where someone just left a mortally wounded opponent might have exposed more obvious faults in the system. These things are all connected, you have to look at the total picture even with things such as death indicators.

Halo 4 is all about playing selfish anyway.

It's definitely compressed to hell and back for cutscenes, at least. Also very badly implemented sometimes. I think 343 just sent Davidge a list of stuff they wanted, he sent them a few songs, and they never talked again after that.

I really miss the original "Jelly of the Beast", the oficial one sounds pretty soft.

I really like the implementation of Arrival in the final level, but then again Nemesis and 117 - while being fantastic tracks - are simply too fucking quiet!

If you take so much time of the necessary fighting in that level the track suddely stops and the game stays quiet then the magic gnome wakes up and put the tracks again.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Just shows the state of the game man, at least from the perspective of the influence makers in the competitive scene.

Puckett has been doing CoD stuff for a while now. I was more concerned about it when I saw it during the Halo Reach days or probably earlier. Speaking of Halo Reach days, I would say that was the all time "low" for competitive Halo. And I say that sadly because I feel like I was one of the few that actually loved Reach and played it all the time. I competed at my first MLG event during the Reach years and made some good friends.

u4iX

Puckett has been doing CoD stuff for a while now. I was more concerned about it when I saw it during the Halo Reach days or probably earlier. Speaking of Halo Reach days, I would say that was the all time "low" for competitive Halo. And I say that sadly because I feel like I was one of the few that actually loved Reach and played it all the time. I competed at my first MLG event during the Reach years and made some good friends.

Reach was definitely a low, but to be honest Halo 4 doesn't feel that much better.

Dirtbag

Reach was definitely a low, but to be honest Halo 4 doesn't feel that much better.

It's only been 2 months for 4. Lets see what a real title update brings to 4. There is something good below the surface in 4. The clock is definitely ticking though and the attitude at MLG doesnt sound exactly peachy.

Tashi

Feels better to me. AGL keeps kicking ass, Dallas was awesome and I still feel like 343 is committed to shaping the Halo 4 experience over time even though they've kept quiet about specific issues so far. I'm patient.

Also, you hear this shit about Ghost releasing the official v1 MLG Gametypes tomorrow?

u4iX

Feels better to me. AGL keeps kicking ass, Dallas was awesome and I still feel like 343 is committed to shaping the Halo 4 experience over time even though they've kept quiet about specific issues so far. I'm patient.

Also, you hear this shit about Ghost releasing the official v1 MLG Gametypes tomorrow?

Yeah I've known about the V1 release for a few weeks now.

I have my own thoughts on AGL, but it comes down to sustainability and overhead. Halo is the highest costing competitive game to run in a tournament out of any game. 8 monitors, 8 mix amps, 8 Xbox, a router, 8 capture cards, a PC that can run and render that many, that many HDMI cables and splitters, stream overlays, web cams, microphones, audio mixer... And I'm probably forgetting a lot.

I feel like I talk in circles a lot with you about competitive titles, what it takes to run an actual tournament with them, and how involved MS and 343i are with the competitive scene.

Also, we don't even know how the Virgin Gaming deal could shape the future of tournaments.

Rev3rb

I played Reach regularly for only a month after release before getting really bored and stopping. Reach was definitely the lowest point in the series (for me).

As of now, I'm still playing Halo 4 and enjoying most games I play. It's definitely a huge improvement over Reach.

u4iX

I played Reach regularly for only a month after release before getting really bored and stopping. Reach was definitely the lowest point in the series (for me).

As of now, I'm still playing Halo 4 and enjoying most games I play. It's definitely a huge improvement over Reach.

I think the playlists and gametypes kept me playing Reach longer. I still play and can enjoy Halo 4, but I'm always in this playlist limbo where there's not a list a really like or look forward to playing... I'm just kinda like... well, Infinity Slayer or Team Regicide I guess.

Pop

Pretty much.

Halo 4 maps are much better at balancing the jetpack.

hahaha

oh lawd my sides...now you just trollin

Anyways, H4 does have a solid core feels right but without explanation on as to why shit was changed and removed, we're left in the dark. No communication from them. At this point I'm not expecting anything substantial coming from the TU. Probably will still have to wait "later" for ranks.

Dirtbag

^I agree with Null, the jetpack usually gets you team shot by your opponents if you use it wrong. I think the map that the jetpack really helps though is Solace since it gives you some decent sight lines to clean up kills.. while those grounded fools are stuck running around the labrythn of cover.

I don't get this. A team working together is still going to destroy lone wolfs.

I guess I'm just used to going into MM alone and being in first place on the losing team racking up my own personal ordinance. Map control no longer exists, so there really is no need to work together. I just use my godly radar and wallhacks to pick off their lone wolves myself.

Tashi

Yeah I've known about the V1 release for a few weeks now.

I have my own thoughts on AGL, but it comes down to sustainability and overhead. Halo is the highest costing competitive game to run in a tournament out of any game. 8 monitors, 8 mix amps, 8 Xbox, a router, 8 capture cards, a PC that can run and render that many, that many HDMI cables and splitters, stream overlays, web cams, microphones, audio mixer... And I'm probably forgetting a lot.

I feel like I talk in circles a lot with you about competitive titles, what it takes to run an actual tournament with them, and how involved MS and 343i are with the competitive scene.

Also, we don't even know how the Virgin Gaming deal could shape the future of tournaments.

So they are coming tomorrow? That's cool, I might try to get some games in.

No I get it. I get how hard it is. I've put a few LANs together and it was a huge task(DEM TUBE TV'S! lol). That doesn't even touch trying to stream it all. And I know that a spectator mode would just make you hard for years to come. But it's not there, and who knows if it's coming. (I think it will eventually) You don't however have to run a tournament like that. You can do 1 POV, with voice and webcam and have that work. We have to work with what we have and support each other in the community to help it grow. Then the competitive community will be important enough to become a higher priority.

Rev3rb

I think the playlists and gametypes kept me playing Reach longer. I still play and can enjoy Halo 4, but I'm always in this playlist limbo where there's not a list a really like or look forward to playing... I'm just kinda like... well, Infinity Slayer or Team Regicide I guess.

I remember asking Tunavi how he was still playing it because I was bored to death...

Can't remember what he said though :/

hahaha

oh lawd my sides...now you just trollin
Your point, you don't have one.

I guess I'm just used to going into MM alone and being in first place on the losing team racking up my own personal ordinance. Map control no longer exists, so there really is no need to work together. I just use my godly radar and wallhacks to pick off their lone wolves myself.
Haha, yeah, well about that...

Pop

^I agree with Null, the jetpack usually gets you team shot by your opponents if you use it wrong. I think the map that the jetpack really helps though is Solace since it gives you some decent sight lines to clean up kills.. while those grounded fools are stuck running around the labrythn of cover.

I don't agree with AA's.

Take them out of my halo.

Dirtbag

I don't agree with AA's.

Take them out of my halo.

This is the wrong attitude and part of what is fucking up Halo gaf.

I don't agree wtih AA's, give me a non-gimped playlist or two without them.
You'll be just as guilty of what you are bitching about otherwise.

Nazgul11

4 hours 20 minutes includes credits, but credits are 10 minutes tops, not 40 minutes lol.

Mmm, I don't think that's true. The extended edition credits show all of the credits from the theatrical version, and then include a listing of "The Lord Of The Rings Fan Club members", which is a TON of names. This part alone goes on for at least 15-20 minutes, maybe longer.

Dirtbag

If my memory serves me right the only game I ever played in Reach was Oddball Sword Base. About 2000 games of that. Yeah.

Assault / Burial Mounds - Halo 2. AKA Stalemate. That's the one that always stands out in my mind
CTF / Valhalla - Halo 3. AKA Who's got splazer?

Halo 4 is either
Infinity Slayer / Haven - Halo 4. AKA Run around and do stuff until you get personal ordinance or one team randomly gets Inceneration Canon or Binary Rifle
Rangnorok / Mantis and DMRs / Camo snipers

Mmm, I don't think that's true. The extended edition credits show all of the credits from the theatrical version, and then include a listing of "The Lord Of The Rings Fan Club members", which is a TON of names. This part alone goes on for at least 15-20 minutes, maybe longer.

Just looked it up: ROTK EE is 4 hours and 11 without the fan club credits, 4 hours 23 minutes with them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom