• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT13|

Status
Not open for further replies.

blamite

You can use the Initial Ordnance item's Resupply Time to create static spawns still. Just placing the item on the map like spawns used to be doesn't work, you're right.

I wish you could combine the two systems by making Initial Ordnance drops with weapons weighted like Global Ordnance drops, so you could have, for example, a 3/6 chance of dropping a Fuel Rod Gun, a 2/6 chance of a Rocket Launcher, and a 1/6 chance for an Incineration Cannon.

Best of both worlds, consistent locations while keeping a bit of the "variety" 343 wants.

kylej

Banned
shit that broke me was the thieves guild. lemme go talk to you

load

ok now other room to talk

load

now back to entrance area

load

lets head out to do the quest

load

lets fast travel

load

lets walk into house

load

lets go back to turn in quest

load

no more pls

I need to get back to Skyrim, put about 30 hours in and stopped for some reason. Maybe it was the load times like kylej said

Morrowind is my favorite Elder Scrolls

You can use the Initial Ordnance item's Resupply Time to create static spawns still. Just placing the item on the map like spawns used to be doesn't work, you're right.

Oh, alright.

Watching some if this stream, 314 WHERE IS MAH EXTRACTION PLAYLIST?

J10

Banned

Placing items on the map without using initial ordnance does still work. I've used it in Slayer custom games.

J10

Banned
I wish you could combine the two systems by making Initial Ordnance drops with weapons weighted like Global Ordnance drops, so you could have, for example, a 3/6 chance of dropping a Fuel Rod Gun, a 2/6 chance of a Rocket Launcher, and a 1/6 chance for an Incineration Cannon.

Best of both worlds, consistent locations while keeping a bit of the "variety" 343 wants.

You can. Just use the Random Ordnance instead if you want multiple weapon options.

blamite

You can. Just use the Random Ordnance instead if you want multiple weapon options.

I realise that's how Random Ordnance works, but as far as I know you can't have them working on a consistent, set timer like you can with Initial Ordnance, unless there's an option for that that I've missed (which actually wouldn't surprise me).

Kuroyume

Banned
Yes. Do show me the same overlap in weapons in Unreal, Half-Life, Quake, Tribes, Planetside, etc.

Oh, right, there is none.

If Halo wants to be CoD, then it needs a SHIT TON more weapons than it has now all of which are equally viable (or close to it... the CoD community has a habit of identifying the most broken weapons and min-maxing the hell out of them, and IW and Treyarch don't seem to mind).

Halo is not that game right now. With the number of weapons it has and the sandbox philosophy guiding it, it is closer to the aforementioned games. In truth, anybody who played Tribes before 2001 kinda looks at Halo as a.... let's say 'homage'. If they want to go that route then they need to minimize overlap in the weapons, rather than offer several options that are clearly less effective variants of other weapons that serve the same role.

Half-Life? Seriously? We're talking about a multiplayer game here right? Not to mention Half-Life has like 3-4 worthwile weapons that you'll use. Probably can get around with just the gravity gun for the most part. What does that say about its weapon sandbox? And I don't see the point in listing for me a bunch of titles where (you believe) this doesn't happen when I can show you several titles where it does. Whether or not Quake does it has no significance. They're not even the same type of FPS. One has vehicles the other doesn't, etc.

There are better things to whine about.

J10

Banned
Sorry, I should have been clearer. Place multiple random ordnances in the same spot, then adjust the timers in the custom game options. The timer can't be set in Forge.

blamite

Sorry, I should have been clearer. Place multiple random ordnances in the same spot, then adjust the timers in the custom game options. The timer can't be set in Forge.
Hmm, I need to take a closer look at custom game options. I thought random ordnance would just pick a random weapon to spawn at a given time, but if you can actually do what I'm thinking of... I don't know why 343 wouldn't have gone with that instead of what they did.

Nowise10

Can someone help me? I bought the Halo 4 trinity headset, and the cable to talk with and such, has the two plastic things near the connector. However, I have a chatpad, and the chatpad doesnt have those two connectors.

Is it safe if I just cut of those two connector things? It has no metal on it, its just plastic, and I cant use my chatpad if I dont cut them off.

heres a picture for what im talking about

BznGw.png

Tawpgun

Can someone help me? I bought the Halo 4 trinity headset, and the cable to talk with and such, has the two plastic things near the connector. However, I have a chatpad, and the chatpad doesnt have those two connectors.

Is it safe if I just cut of those two connector things? It has no metal on it, its just plastic, and I cant use my chatpad if I dont cut them off.

rip

You game with the chat pad connected to your controller?

what the fuck

J10

Banned
Hmm, I need to take a closer look at custom game options. I thought random ordnance would just pick a random weapon to spawn at a given time, but if you can actually do what I'm thinking of... I don't know why 343 wouldn't have gone with that instead of what they did.

I just realized you're right, you can't do it exactly the way you're suggesting. You can set up to (I think) eight weapon possibilities per random drop, but you can't adjust the weighting of each option. It'll divide the possibilities evenly I guess? I suppose if you want a more control over the weighting of each possibility you could limit the number of items per individual drop and just use multiples of the same ones that you want to have an increased the weighting. Convoluted, but it could work I think.

Wouldn't that void the warranty? Why not just unplug the chat thing?

blamite

I just realized you're right, you can't do it exactly the way you're suggesting. You can set up to (I think) eight weapon possibilities per random drop, but you can't adjust the weighting of each option. It'll divide the possibilities evenly I guess? I suppose if you want a more control over the weighting of each possibility you could limit the number of items per individual drop and just use multiples of the same ones that you want to have an increased the weighting. Convoluted, but it could work I think.

Yeah, I haven't tested it (although I'm sure somebody somewhere has) but I always assumed listing a weapon 3 times and another one once would give the first a 5% chance to spawn. I was pretty disappointed to see initial ordnance only allowed you to select a single weapon. :/ I wouldn't expect that to be too difficult to change in a patch if 343 wanted to do it.

Pop

I still have 45 minutes until a new year, you time travelers.

--------

What's this talk of comparing PC to console haha...I wonder which is better. Games on demand Skyrim load times aren't that bad at all and hell of a lot faster then disc.

Edit: So hows 2013 H4 looking like?

Half-Life? Seriously? We're talking about a multiplayer game here right? Not to mention Half-Life has like 3-4 worthwile weapons that you'll use. Probably can get around with just the gravity gun for the most part. What does that say about its weapon sandbox? And I don't see the point in listing for me a bunch of titles where (you believe) this doesn't happen when I can show you several titles where it does. Whether or not Quake does it has no significance. They're not even the same type of FPS. One has vehicles the other doesn't, etc.

There are better things to whine about.

The point is, Halo is a classic arena-type FPS whereby there are a small amount of weapons designed to fit specific roles/playstyles on the battlefield.

CoD, Battlefield, Counterstrike, etc, have a much larger assortment of weapons with a much smaller gradation of different between them, within a given class (assault rifles, shotguns, SMGs, etc).

If Halo wants to go all the way into being a CoD clone, then it will have to offer many many many more weapons to provide for a level of customization on par with those games. Until then, so long as it remains an arena shooter, offering several weapons that fill the same role on the battlefield is redundant and only adds balance issues and chaos.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom