• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT13|

Status
Not open for further replies.

stephen08

In other Halo games I would be fine with either radar or no radar but in 4 with everyone having sprint and instant (or at the very least faster) respawns where they will at times be spawning in your immediate vicinity radar is an absolute must.

They do this already. Not sure why people would do this more. No motion sensor means that a lot more of the time its time wasted to crouch behind that doorway because you have no good way of telling whether enemies are heading your way, much less a lone wolf.

It see it happen regularly in Swat. I dont play much swat, does it even have radar?

People are going to camp regardless though. I understand it helps them, but if people already use that playstyle radar on or off wont stop that.

Its as simple as the boltshot thing, runnging around a corner carelessly gives boltshotters and campers the advantage, regardless of radar or not.

Play smart.

I like radar because being in a firefight, a quick glance in the corner can give vital information on whats happening. How many ememies your facing, where your teamates are, and most importantly if your getting flanked and an assassination is looming.

Edit: Id also argue that no radar would indeed make more people camp and corner hug, waiting for people to run by and then score an easy assassination. Radar does more good than bad.
Of course people are going to camp regardless, but at least they're going to have to put the extra effort in and check their flanks and expose themselves to line of sight instead of being told of passers by just because someone wants to actually move around.

If people are scared of moving around without radar, that's not my problem. I'm given free reign to move as I please. Someone will actually have to spot me to engage me, rather than bouncing a grenade around a corner because the blip told him to. Radar sucks, I prefer looking around the map myself.

What did I do?

Am I the only one who kinda liked Reach?

Shovel-pic.jpg

Keep digging.

rakka

why are we complaining about radar, PVs a hell of a lot worse. that should go before anything.

also, swordbase swat was and still is awesome.

SWAT is a gametype where you die with a single headshot, of course people will be more cautious. That hardly has anything to do with the lack of radar.

Yeah but im referring to people hugging corners in the aim of getting an assassination. This can in some ways be blamed in commendations and armour unlocks as the motivation, but its happening none the less.

Of course people are going to camp regardless, but at least they're going to have to put the extra effort in and check their flanks and expose themselves to line of sight instead of being told of passers by just because someone wants to actually move around.

If people are scared of moving around without radar, that's not my problem. I'm given free reign to move as I please. Someone will actually have to spot me to engage me, rather than bouncing a grenade around a corner because the blip told him to. Radar sucks, I prefer looking around the map myself.

Well, we're 5 mainline halo games in at this stage, looks like radars here to stay.

Alchemical

Neo Member
RE: radar debate; generally speaking, I much prefer the kind of fluid and dynamic gameplay that no radar promotes. By far the most fun I've had in Reach was playing without radar with a full team when playtesting modified starting spawns and weapon layouts for our proposed reform to the Arena playlist. Hell... even Sword Base managed to play well with such settings.

But nowadays, I pretty much only play alone with randoms and a little camping (or more specifically - holding a power position with a close range weapon and using radar to keep track of player movement) can go a long way towards upping that win percentage in such scenarios. Certainly in Reach anyway.

Which I agree is hardly a justifiable defence of the mechanic, but it proves its worth in such scenarios. In an ideal world, I'd play in a full team with mics, but when all your friends leave to go play something else and you want to play some Halo, crutches (edit: ahem... tools) like radar can certainly make up for the dearth of good communication between random teammates.

Redford

aka Cabbie
What did I do?

Am I the only one who kinda liked Reach?

If one likes it better than 4, understandable.

---
I just have fond memories of that map/gametype combo because it was played so many times, became meditative.. Grabbing snipes, GL, ousting BKs from yellow lift room.

GhaleonEB

You were saying it's as much a crutch as the other HUD elements though, which I disagree with. An obvious example is the weapon indicator which, if removed, won't impact the game at all. I don't see stuff like the ammo count, reticule and shield/health indicator as crutches either because it's impractical to keep track of those things on your own which definitely isn't the case with the radar.

I can understand that it can feel crippling for people who aren't used to it, though. The punishment for not being aware of your surroundings can be much more severe. It changes the game a great deal and I feel like it opens up the game in many more and better ways than stuff like perks, AAs and loadouts ever will. For you it feels crippling, but for me it feels liberating.

I was kind of deflecting, but I see it didn't come across. You called it a "crutch", and my response was somewhat sarcastic. Any HUD element you use can be called a crutch. Ammo in the clip? You should keep track of how many bullets you shoot. Targeting reticule? The gun points in a direction, use that instead. You are getting shot from some direction, use your situational awareness to figure out where, not the damage indicators. Etc. etc. They are crutches in the sense that you use them to obtain valuable information about what is happening in the game so you can respond accordingly. That describes the radar as well. Obviously there's a "crutch" continuum here, but my point was to object to defining radar as a crutch. It's a tool. Which you don't like. Which is okay. But calling it a crutch implicitly insults those who do like it by implying they need said crutch. (Which is fine in my case - I do!) It's like saying, you only like the radar because you suck and need it. When a lot of people just think it's an important and useful part of the game.

Shovel-pic.jpg

Keep digging.

How dare he not share your opinion!

rakka

I'll start playing reach again when I reach SR130. probably in a week or two. (SR118 now) damn that didn't take long.

only a noble in reach and that's with 35,000 kills compared to 14,000 I have in 4.

Dirtbag

I loved Radar in CTF / 1-Flag before they put fucking waypoints on the flag carrier. There was some nice depth to the stealth aspects there. Radar in Halo 4 helps people like myself who just jump online alone (with no mic) and play without relying on my idiot teammates in party chat.

Radar is absolutely a crutch. Communication is the best radar

I'll start playing reach again when I reach SR130. probably in a week or two. (SR118 now) damn that didn't take long.

only a noble in reach and that's with 35,000 kills compared to 14,000 I have in 4.
Is it not better that way? I thought Bungie asked way too much for the final inheritor rank. I thought I could make it but it is nearly impossible with my available time.

Dang. Here's to 54!
Dang! That's a pretty shit and useless post. Hey, could you please try to join the conversation about Halo games or other talk which happens here?

Toa TAK

Banned
Dang! That's a pretty shit and useless post. Hey, could please try to join the conversation about Halo games or other talk which happens here?
Dang! You have my attention, what's your favorite Halo game? I see a lot of talk about what's wrong with previous games, but it's like no one likes any of them.

Is it 3?

Don't mind Reagan's BR - he hates everything.

If anyone wants a free Premium Haven theme for their XBL Dashboard, swing by this page:

http://halo.bungie.org/misc/safehaven.html

There are still a bunch to give away!
Oh, well that's no way to live.

The Haven theme is really nice, people should give that link a go.

kylej

Banned
nah I haven't been able to watch much of it at all unfortunately. I saw Cosmo last night though for a few minutes. It's funny, among a room of speedrunners, he's like royalty or something.

willow ve

Any current Halo 4 stream going on? I'm "working" from home while sick... and could use some mindless background.

----

Speaking of all the posting. After this OT are the Gaming side and Community threads going to be merged?

Theres only 3 people ever mentioned in the chat. YSG, Sig and Cosmo. People kept mentioning how ugly cosmo was, some posts were just comedy.

The super meat boy run was pretty impressive. Never even seen that game before, let alone being run.

Overdoziz

Banned
I was kind of deflecting, but I see it didn't come across. You called it a "crutch", and my response was somewhat sarcastic. Any HUD element you use can be called a crutch. Ammo in the clip? You should keep track of how many bullets you shoot. Targeting reticule? The gun points in a direction, use that instead. You are getting shot from some direction, use your situational awareness to figure out where, not the damage indicators. Etc. etc. They are crutches in the sense that you use them to obtain valuable information about what is happening in the game so you can respond accordingly. That describes the radar as well. Obviously there's a "crutch" continuum here, but my point was to object to defining radar as a crutch. It's a tool. Which you don't like. Which is okay. But calling it a crutch implicitly insults those who do like it by implying they need said crutch. (Which is fine in my case - I do!) But I think it's needlessly, um elitist (not sure if that's the right term). It's like saying, you only like the radar because you suck and need it. When a lot of people just think it's an important and useful part of the game.
Like I mentioned, there's quite a big distinction between the radar and some of the other HUD elements like the ammo count, shield bar, reticule and the sorts. It's not practical to keep track of how many bullets you've shot (especially for automatic rifles), how much damage has been dealt to you or where the exact middle of the screen is (the reticule isn't in the middle but you get the point). With the radar I don't think this is the case to the same extend. It definitely becomes much harder than if you had the radar, but you're still able to get a good idea of what's happening around you. Where the radar enhances abilities which don't really need enhancing in my opinion, other HUD elements enhance abilities which are vital to even playing the game properly.

I will say though that having no radar works optimal in an environment with people who actually do have better situational awareness. In a match filled with people lacking that it can turn into a bit of a mess. I really don't mind radar when I'm playing casually and it becomes less of an issue the more players are in a match, but in a competitive environment with ≤8 players it negatively affects gameplay too much for me.

I still think a radar which shows people only when they're shooting would be very interesting to see in Halo. I'd love to see how that would play out.

Pretty late to the conversation, but I actually think that No Radar promotes far more camping than Radar does. At least everywhere except at the top level of play.

In a no radar game some people can tend to just crouch back and camp, radar allows them to push forward simply because they can wait until they see a red dot and then engage that red dot. It leads to more head on BR battles and that kind of thing, which I do enjoy.

When playing matchmaking I am not playing against MLG pro's - I am playing against players who would probably feel quite intimidated to push out, which is why I think Radar belongs through a lot of the core modes. I really dont want everyone to start camping corners with the boltshot simply because they dont know where anyone is. I think the radar is liberating for a lot of players.

No radar leads to amazing fluid gameplay, but I fear in general matchmaking it would also lead to entire teams huddling corners lol.

Thanks for the code, Louis. Much appreciated.

cheers.

BTW - Still loving this game, with more and more time being spent in Infinity Slayer than Big Team. Mostly because of bad experiences on Lagnarok. If I never saw that map again I'd be fine.

Rev3rb

Don't mind Reagan's BR - he hates everything.

If anyone wants a free Premium Haven theme for their XBL Dashboard, swing by this page:

http://halo.bungie.org/misc/safehaven.html

There are still a bunch to give away!

Thanks!

Thanks for the code, Louis. Much appreciated.

cheers.

BTW - Still loving this game, with more and more time being spent in Infinity Slayer than Big Team. Mostly because of bad experiences on Lagnarok. If I never saw that map again I'd be fine.

Sadly, the DMR and PP starts ruined that map...

Overdoziz

Banned
Pretty late to the conversation, but I actually think that No Radar promotes far more camping than Radar does. At least everywhere except at the top level of play.

In a no radar game some people can tend to just crouch back and camp, radar allows them to push forward simply because they can wait until they see a red dot and then engage that red dot. It leads to more head on BR battles and that kind of thing, which I do enjoy.

When playing matchmaking I am not playing against MLG pro's - I am playing against players who would probably feel quite intimidated to push out, which is why I think Radar belongs through a lot of the core modes. I really dont want everyone to start camping corners with the boltshot simply because they dont know where anyone is. I think the radar is liberating for a lot of players.

No radar leads to amazing fluid gameplay, but I fear in general matchmaking it would also lead to entire teams huddling corners lol.
I don't think it will lead to more camping in the way that radar does (hiding around corners). At lower skill levels I can definitely see people relying more on going for assassinations, though. There will probably also be less confrontations in the same amount of time in general simply because they will neither take the best (and thus fairly predictable) routes nor will they anticipate movement of opponents as well as some of the more experienced players will. They will essentially run into each other by luck a lot of the time. It's pretty interesting to see the difference in gameplay between matches between teams with bad situational awareness and between teams with good situational awareness without radar.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom