• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT13|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tawpgun

What you're describing isn't a focus group, but regardless, nobody develops a game based solely or primarily on research data. It's one of many tools that we have at our disposal, and research can have clear value when used properly, but is never has been nor will be the driver behind design decisions.

kY8al.jpg

I don't have the data to determine whether or not the amount of beer being depicted in that shot is an accurate representation of our studio's average consumption rate. If I were to monitor the beer fridge, and keep an accurate count of beers being consumed, I'd be much better informed. It doesn't really matter to me, though. I'm only interested in the beers that I drink.

By contrast, our admin knows exactly how much beer we drink, and orders cases and kegs and barrels of beer accordingly. Therefore, we do not run out of beer, save days when there are atypical consumption rates. Even then, we are getting better at predicting the peaks and valleys as time goes on and as more data can be analyzed.

BEER
Out of curiosity, what was the per capita alcohol consumption during the design of the space section in Zealot?

I doubt we'll ever know whether Bungie had officially determined what Forerunners looked like (if they weren't human, anyway). 343 went that route with the story, and thus had to pull something out of their ass. Hence, Rasta-Disease-Ridden-Voldemort-Runners.

The thing that confuses me is that the Forerunners in the Anniversary terminals where exactly how I imagined them to be. Why didn't they just go off that design and not go full Voldermort on our ass?

Didact's design (specially the armor) is freaking badass.

The part/design where his helmet armour covers his face is great, that's where I sort of went um avoid this guy now. I just wanted to fight him in the actual game, please add that to Halo 5 in multiple missions somehow.

I wonder have many of the Bungie team played Halo 4. Must be pretty jarring to play a game based off a franchise you created.

Must be a weird mix of emotion. Reminded me of that Bungie staffer who said "I cannot play this fucking broken game any more!", about Halo 2.

J10

Banned
Didac'ts final design was ass. I've seen better looking fan art on HBO. (Seriously, hire that dude, Leviathan I think is his handle).

GrizzNKev

Banned
The thing that confuses me is that the Forerunners in the Anniversary terminals where exactly how I imagined them to be. Why didn't they just go off that design and not go full Voldermort on our ass?

Yeah, they looked acceptable in those terminals. I kind of wish they - and the MC - remained faceless. At least until Halo 6 or something.

Computron

I can't wait for Halo 2 Anniversary where Bungie's name will be sandblasted off the game entirely

"Were bringing back your favorite features from Halo 2, killstreaks, loadouts and instant respawn!

Oh also, none of the maps support mechanisms anymore.
Sorry, we just don't have the bandwidth to make the Zanzibar windmill spin."

I didn't like how 343 made the forerunners look. I think I'd rather have them keep on their armor and not show their actual faces. Keep a bit of the mystery alive.

Tawpgun

Made them look similar to the Greg Bear novels description more or less.

The Librarian was just silly though. wtf has that hair helmet thing

The whole design of the Forerunners just feels very uninspired IMO. I feel like that goes along with enemy design and weapon design too. The weapons building when you pick them up is awesome, I'll admit. But other than that they're just bland. The orange and sliver color scheme got old fast. They really do just look like slabs of metal with glowy parts. There was so much crazy awesome shit that could have been done with weapons, characters, and vehicles, but it all felt so bland.

kylej

Banned
Which is why Bungie's Halo games got consistently more shitty. They got away from; "Here are the core Halo principles" and went to "we need to make sure these numbers even out."

Prime example: Oh no, this weapon is being used too much, lets make it weaker. Oh no, its still being used too much, lets add spread. Oh no, it's still being used too much lets add bloom. What seems to be missing from that whole logical progression is the fact that Halo worked best when it was balanced around a core utility weapon. It's okay for your utility weapon to be used more than other weapons.

My favorite is from that Wired article

A similar report showed that in the game's first level, called Jungle, players often ran out of rounds for their rifles. This was a mystery, because the designers had been careful to leave more than enough ammunition lying around. The team checked Pagulayan's video records and found that people were firing at the aliens when they were too far away, misjudging the range of the weapon and wasting bullets.

At first the designers couldn't figure out how to fix this problem. But then Griesemer stumbled on an elegant hack: He made the targeting reticule turn red when enemies were in range, subtly communicating to players when their shots were likely to hit home. It worked.

If people are trying to shoot things far away and the gun you're giving them won't let them, maybe you should give them a ranged weapon.

I still want to see Forerunner vehicles assemble themselves around me in campaign, SPOPS and multiplayer. Too badass for words.
One of my favorite bits from Crackdown that they ditched in the sequel was the agency cars transmogrifying to your driving level.

Its a shame that the forerunner weapon construction only happens once per weapon. Maybe it would take too long in multiplayer, but it really is a cool effect.

And speaking of spartan ops, they should add scoring and tie that into personal ordnance. Have pelicans drop those weapon capsules on the field.

If people are trying to shoot things far away and the gun you're giving them won't let them, maybe you should give them a ranged weapon.

You, me, juices, over, nutter and ram should just design a fucking game. When I win the lotto (never), I'll have a bunch of capital to throw at it.

dalVlatko

Decided to check a few of the stats you quoted

February 12th, 2008
Halo 3, players online: 119,477

Feb 10 - 191k
Feb 12 - 119k
Feb 12 - 163k (1 hour after ^)
Feb 17 - 230k
Feb 21 - 158k
Feb 23 - 221k
Feb 23 - 42k (7 hours after ^)

December 11th, 2008
Halo 3, players online: 49,144

Dec 5 - 124k
Dec 6 - 71k
Dec 8 - 135k

source

Unless I'm missing the point, I still don't think peak hour Halo 4 two months after relesase compares favorably to non-peak hour Halo 3 at whatever date especially when you consider install base

You, me, juices, over, nutter and ram should just design a fucking game. When I win the lotto (never), I'll have a bunch of capital to throw at it.

God that would be fun, and funny as hell.

--

I do like that picture, it really looks like Bungie still has this amazing group of people working together, they all seem to be actively talking and engaged in the process. Sick monitor arms too. Just looks like a very neat place to be, I'm sure they are all super excited for Destiny.

Also on the topic of enemy design, what in the hell happened to Sentinals? The Enforcers were so badass in Halo 2. Watching them pick up flood vehicles and crush them was sweet. Ghosts of Onyx also made Sentinals so much more badass IMO. If 343 doesn't have Sentinals combining into new forms in Halo 5, the Prometheans better. Would add so much enemy variety and would create interesting combat scenarios..

Akai__

Didn't Halo 3 had like more then 600.000 people online and even more on weekends, before MW2 was released?

Am I remembering wrong?

Decided to check a few of the stats you quoted

Feb 10 - 191k
Feb 12 - 119k
Feb 12 - 163k (1 hour after ^)
Feb 17 - 230k
Feb 21 - 158k
Feb 23 - 221k
Feb 23 - 42k (7 hours after ^)

Dec 5 - 124k
Dec 6 - 71k
Dec 8 - 135k

source

Unless I'm missing the point, I still don't think peak hour Halo 4 two months after relesase compares favorably to non-peak hour Halo 3 at whatever date especially when you consider install base

Nice cross section but average in your month of FEB is still only 131,000. There is also the method of collection or comparison issues. I've not bothered to go further than Tsassi's selection of data like you did. I agree Halo 3 was quite the popular game with population stamina at that time in the industry. I just disagree that Halo 4 is dying completely. Sure I'd like the population to be bigger that BLOPSII.

I'd also love to see features like what BLOPSII got but better e.g. option to render a high resolution YouTube video from a theatre file. The live stream as FyreWulff mentioned is like a crappy 280p or something which sucks due to bandwidth etc. I'd like regional dedicated servers for matchmaking and those features tied into that etc. I also think combining all that as one game package with the best execution would improve population beyond current Halo 4.

There isn't a magic feature set for winning population forever and holding #1 here. I'm hoping Halo 5 hits the mark more than Halo 4 did in terms of improving population against the COD #1 though. I would also like to see in game rank with some more competitive settings but more sandbox than MLG tend to use.

Homeboyd

I like the new B.net, but the forums are going to take some time to get used to (yes, I know it's still a beta).

The old forums were just so... perfect. :/

Trying to navigate this mofo. Some of the added features (like reply notifications) are pretty nice though.

Didn't Halo 3 had like more then 600.000 people online and even more on weekends, before MW2 was released?

Am I remembering wrong?

Those were the numbers I remember seeing.

I am postitive there was like 300k-400k in Grifball when it came out, Nokyard might know more?. About same #'s when SWAT and Zombies was rotated. In the beginning (They became less cool when they were there every week)

Yea I know the numbers died, and were counted different. It didnt seem as Ghost Town as H4 though.

BigShow36

But you're forgetting the fundamental tenet of post-CE Halo. That is, only the sniper rifle should be able to shoot more than 30 yards accurately.

Which is why Bungie's Halo games got consistently more shitty. They got away from; "Here are the core Halo principles" and went to "we need to make sure these numbers even out."

Prime example: Oh no, this weapon is being used too much, lets make it weaker. Oh no, its still being used too much, lets add spread. Oh no, it's still being used too much lets add bloom. What seems to be missing from that whole logical progression is the fact that Halo worked best when it was balanced around a core utility weapon. It's okay for your utility weapon to be used more than other weapons.
Yeah, even with their reasoning for it the end result was an experience that was worse off. They should've kept hitscan for Halo 3, they should have never thought of bloom in the first place for Reach.

blamite

Re: Halo 4 population numbers:

Not to try to defend anything or excuse anything or whatever, but a bunch of colleges did just start up again after the winter so I think a drop in population is somore or less expected. It's still a bit depressing how low Halo 4's population is.
kY8al.jpg

I don't have the data to determine whether or not the amount of beer being depicted in that shot is an accurate representation of our studio's average consumption rate. If I were to monitor the beer fridge, and keep an accurate count of beers being consumed, I'd be much better informed. It doesn't really matter to me, though. I'm only interested in the beers that I drink.

By contrast, our admin knows exactly how much beer we drink, and orders cases and kegs and barrels of beer accordingly. Therefore, we do not run out of beer, save days when there are atypical consumption rates. Even then, we are getting better at predicting the peaks and valleys as time goes on and as more data can be analyzed.

BEER
So Bungie is putting more effort into tracking beer stats and responding accordingly than 343 is into doing the same for Halo 4 two months after launch.

BigShow36

Re: Halo 4 population numbers:

Not to try to defend anything or excuse anything or whatever, but a bunch of colleges did just start up again after the winter so I think a drop in population is somore or less expected. It's still a bit depressing how low Halo 4's population is.

I'm glad they're low. In the absence of personal-restraint when faced with the purchase of a new Halo game, our only hope is that they see how low the numbers are and do something to change it. It's the only influence we have. If you bought into the pre-release Halo hype and purchased the game but aren't happy with it, stop playing it. I promise there are other games out there and maybe we'll actually see a change next Halo game.

neoism

I like the new B.net, but the forums are going to take some time to get used to (yes, I know it's still a beta).

The old forums were just so... perfect. :/

Trying to navigate this mofo. Some of the added features (like reply notifications) are pretty nice though.

lol finally got to it had to do through google.. lol the forums are ok really dislike the white though... site looks nice otherwise
What you're describing isn't a focus group, but regardless, nobody develops a game based solely or primarily on research data. It's one of many tools that we have at our disposal, and research can have clear value when used properly, but is never has been nor will be the driver behind design decisions.

kY8al.jpg

BEER
lol tear I'm sure you guys don't take "walk ins" anymore, but damn I would work there for free lol
bungle fo lif

But you're forgetting the fundamental tenet of post-CE Halo. That is, only the sniper rifle should be able to shoot more than 30 yards accurately.

Nah, the Reach DMR when crouched could ping any sniper at any map distance available. The ever popular Halo 4 DMR 3X scope can handle any map distance as well. Halo 3, Reach & 4 spartan laser would like a word too. Oh and the binary rifle plus beam rifle.

Just pointing them out. Also the sword flying glitch from Halo 2 had a massive distance ;)

blamite

I'm glad they're low. In the absence of personal-restraint when faced with the purchase of a new Halo game, our only hope is that they see how low the numbers are and do something to change it. It's the only influence we have. If you bought into the pre-release Halo hype and purchased the game but aren't happy with it, stop playing it. I promise there are other games out there and maybe we'll actually see a change next Halo game.

On the other hand, if I, for the most part, enjoy the game, and want to have as good an experience in matchmaking as is possible, low population numbers are kind of bad news. So.

Arnie

Agreed. I observed the entire build up for this game from the beginning and time and again, as elements of the new title were announced I saw valid concerns raised here and elsewhere, and raised them myself where I could. Many of my own concerns revolved around the notion that such things as enhanced loadout options and ordnance would be adding huge swathes of invisible variables, thus reducing systematic predictability. Another was the lack of a visible, in-game ranking system. Another was the jumbled, crowded and largely redundant in-game UI. I've seen very little, if anything in response to these concerns. Off the top of my head, the few I remember were (paraphrasing)...

By which I assume they meant Slayer Pro, which is now non-existent, and was nonetheless far removed from what most people would classify as "classic Halo". Hence - I assume - the low population.

And:

Which I now assume will come online sometime in the next two months. But who knows? And more to the point, who the hell cares, when what was essentially one of the appealing aspects of Halo multiplayer for many fans - visible, in-game ranking - will likely never see the light of day and any such ranking system will instead be buried beneath twelve links on what is frankly a counter-intuitive, badly-designed website. As for the jumbled UI and the completely over-used announcer, this has not even been acknowledged (as far as I know), be it informally or formally and yet it remains as one of the primary contributing factors in me not buying this game. I know it's not as important as actual gameplay mechanics (which, if I heard were being addressed, could go some way towards persuading me to buy this game), but it's nonetheless problematic as it's a constant characteristic of the game.

Great post, not seen you before but welcome to the thread.

I really do wonder how many of the people who stat whore every post and look at previous games user stats and populations etc actually played these games back when they were out and understand why they were higher. I played online in Halo 2 since launch and have played Halo games online since.

Back when Halo 2 came out, it was the premiere online shooter for consoles. Nothing compared in terms of features and online systems. The lobby system that bungie pioneered, the friends list accessibility, the matchmaking, the playlists infrastructure etc was all new to console players and was a huge deal. People never seen anything like it. I know i hadn't seen anything like it before. This was reflected through its constant dominance of the Live activity charts. Solid gameplay, brilliant online mutiplayer and the best features made Halo the console shooter king.

Halo 3 was in a similar position. It was the follow up to the premiere shooter on xbox. There simply weren't as many shooters that could compete with its features. The online play was unmatched. Forge, theatre and Campaign co-op brought something fresh since Halo 2. Halo 3 piggybacked off the success of Halo 2 and was again one of the most played games as there were few alternatives or substitutes with comparable features/quality. Cod4 dropped around this time, doing soemething different with their perks system and people took notice.

Fast forward to Reach and the landscape is completely different. Other games have similar if not better features. Halo was no longer the innovator. Also the Cod juggernaut was in full effect. Cod was now the premiere shooter on consoles. Gamers no longer went to Halo for the best features and online play as there were many substitutes available (Not just Cod). And developers werent looking at Halo for ideas to imitate. All eyes were on Cod. The hardcore Halo fans didnt like some of the changes and stopped playing. Sales were still great, but with so many options available, it meant gamers no longer played one game and one game only for a long period of time because there was so many options. Shooters were the dominant genre and so the pop. count dropped from that as well as other factors.

Halo 4 sold a shit ton. Thats a fact. 2 months in and the hardcore fans are disowning it in droves (Ex: HaloGAF). The casuals have a new Cod to play as well as a number of other games with again, comparable features and quality. The AAA shooter market has more than just Halo nowadays so of course the numbers are lower. Cods the reigning king right now. And in the mind of the more casual fans (Large number of my friends in college) Halo plays second fiddle to Cod, whereas Halo was the King before.

These arent the Halo 2 days where its number 1 for years on end. Thats Cods spot right now. Will Halo ever be number 1 again? Doubtful without something drastic, its a different time now for games. Halo dominated at a time where there were little to no games that could compete because Halo was the innovator. For Halo 5 343 need to just go balls to the wall and do something radical. Catering to the overall shooter market (Perks, AAs etc) didnt work too well. Lets be honest here, it didnt. The Cod fans still play cod, imitating some of their features (Which have now become shooter mainstays, in the same way Halos online systems did) didnt attract masses of new players.

Innovations will though, just like they did before and always will. Innovation isnt about being the first, but being the best at doing something. For Halo 5, we need to see something big. Similar to Halo 2s lobby and party system. It wasnt entirely new, but it was the best system consoles ever seen. Cod 4s perk system wasnt something new, but they did it the better than anyone else at the time.

I hope 343 doesnt play it safe again in Halo 5. We need some innovation. I believe the 343 team is capable of this. They have the resources. They obviously played it a little safer with their first game and thats okay. Now they have their footing they need to kick it up a notch.

TL:DR = Halo needs to innovate the shooter market instead of playing catchup.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom