• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT13|

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking at how well the 360 did in the NPDs and how less well the PS3 did gives credence to the possibility that the Fall 2012 deadline for Halo 4 was heavily pushed by Microsoft, understanding the value of having that AAAA title, while Sony are willing to let Naughty Dog decide when they are ready to ship their title (The Last of Us).

I like the sound of this, but what do they do with all the sidearms in the sandbox? People may pick up plasma pistols lying around the map to combat vehicles, but why would anyone pick up a magnum when they spawn with a BR?
Easy, get rid of the magnum altogether. It was a redundant red headed stepchild the moment Halo 2 came to fruition and has been getting sadder and more pathetic since then. It's long since been time to take 'er out back.

That reminds me of another innovation for Halo 5: dropping flag.

What weapon would everyone spawn with though? I'd like it to be something like the Halo 4 AR personally but I can't see the majority of halogaf going for that...

The 2nd most skillful weapon in Halo of course!

images

-with Halo 4's AR. DMR/BR could mabye be loadout options too. There is nothing wrong with having different weapon loadouts as long as they're balanced. Halo 4's loadout weapons would be more balanced if the LR was hitscan, the Carbine killed faster than the other rifles if you landed all your shots and if the BR was 4-shot seeing as how it's basically a consistent 6-7 shot for online.

Don't be scared 343. Let a long Beta dictate whether the Halo 1 Pistol/Sniper/PR stun should return for Halo MM or only for customs.. because at the very least, they should return for customs <3

I find arguing which is better is a fruitless endeavor. We'll all have different opinions. When it comes to listening to fan feedback though, it then becomes a matter of identifying what criticisms Bungie listened to and the reality of being a system flagship and the sales expectations that carried.

Exactly the same thing can be said about arguing Halo's popularity. So many factors are involved that it too is a "fruitless endeavor" :]

Easy, get rid of the magnum altogether. It was a redundant red headed stepchild the moment Halo 2 came to fruition and has been getting sadder and more pathetic since then. It's long since been time to take 'er out back.

I love the magnum in 4. Its fokin useful to finish kills when opponents are further and u dont have time to reload.

I like the sound of this, but what do they do with all the sidearms in the sandbox? People may pick up plasma pistols lying around the map to combat vehicles, but why would anyone pick up a magnum when they spawn with a BR? They could always just remove them I suppose - the sandbox as of Halo 4 is a little flabby and could certainly do with some streamlining (no need for the sword AND hammer to exist as they are, concussion rifle is a poor man's brute shot, and the storm rifle is horrible)

Well the plasma pistol has the obvious shield stripping and vehicle EMP'ing thing going for them. Boltshot would still be boltshot. I guess the answer is not much pistol. Pistol would obviously be the side arm in SWAT, so it'd be used there, it'd perhaps get picked up if you ran out of BR fluid?

In my opinion all guns dont need to be used equally so its not really a problem for me. Understand when people are shooting with AR's and Sniper Rifles and Rockets you probably don't want to use a pistol. You know? dont bring a knife to a gun fight.

The main jist is that these are the two main weapons people want and fight over. So give them both to everyone. The argument ends. Use the AR up close if you want, make the BR be able to beat it (as long as you dont miss shots) and you have yourself the start of a nice sandbox.

That reminds me of another innovation for Halo 5: dropping flag.

I'm curious whether 343 still thinks that was innovative and saved CTF. I really am at least hoping for the options to disable and enable all aspects of the CTF changes. Preferably I'd have them drop all the changes just never to be remembered or played again.

Dirtbag

Thats really a small scale fix. I was thinking more big innovations for Halo 5

That's what the game developers are supposed to do, innovate. This wasn't progress or innovation, it was imitation. Big difference.

They need to do something with the next-gen resources. Increase game physics in MP, perhaps give us some gravity affecting weapons (how cool would gravity grenades be?), water effects that can effect gameplay, maybe some level effects, create more interesting vehicles. Spend more time making us 15 launch maps and nailing the formula then on armor perms and unlocks. Invent a new gamemode.

Campaign wise, it needs to be scaled up to the larger scale battles the franchise is known for. I want multiple pathways through encounters, turn waypoints on for players that cant find their way after a long period of time.. don't just give it to them right away. I want to see enemies further in the distance engaged. Next gen I also want more wild-life and passive living elements in environments that surround the encounters. Make the world feel alive aside from the immediate things I am shooting at.

That's what the game developers are supposed to do, innovate. This wasn't progress or innovation, it was imitation. Big difference.

Very easy to say, much harder to do. Its Halo, not shooter number 5. Just look how people in here react to foking loadouts... and you want innovation. How exactly? Every little change is consistently criticized and bitched at for months on end.

Dirtbag

Very easy to say, much harder to do. Its Halo, not shooter number 5. Just look how people in here react to foking loadouts... and you want innovation. How exactly? Every little change is consistently criticized and bitched at for months on end.

If you aren't going to innovate then they should just improve on what is working. You don't disassemble everything down to shields and a weapon sandbox and copy COD elements to make up the difference.

Well not every change is bitched at. Look at the Chopper and Grenade Launcher and how well they've since been incorporated into later titles.

If I was involved in Halo 5 I'd propose taking the game more in a battlefield direction, with RTS elements played out by infantry in larger land or space siege battles. 16x16 or more players.

Recreate fictional battles, with one team attacking and one on defense, with MAG-like mini-objectives (take down shield generators, AA guns, stationary guns, resupply stations, vehicle depots). Holding areas would lead to new spawn points, dominion-like shield, weapon and vehicle spawns (dropped). Players would choose different classes within each faction (UNSC, Covenant, Prometheans), so UNSC could have marines, spartans and ODSTs. This mode would use AAs as a light class system. Games would also involve a mixture of player and temporary support AI units. Of course this would be a larger scale Halo, but it would fully put the sandbox to work while accentuating the fiction.

War Games would be arena based combat modes that focus on small teams and map control with balanced forces, and some modes being used as training for individual objectives in the full scale war mode. This is where player ranks would come into play, along with more traditional competitive play.

So, two main modes overall: War Games and Historical Skirmishes.

Lastly, all new players would be enrolled into a clan made up of all non-player-clan players of their faction, putting the teamwork and social aspects at the forefront from the very first match. Player clans would be in addition to this.

Gotta flip the script somehow. Still not innovative enough though.

They need to do something with the next-gen resources. Increase game physics in MP, perhaps give us some gravity affecting weapons (how cool would gravity grenades be?), water effects that can effect gameplay, maybe some level effects, create more interesting vehicles. Spend more time making us 15 launch maps and nailing the formula then on armor perms and unlocks. Invent a new gamemode.

Campaign wise, it needs to be scaled up to the larger scale battles the franchise is known for. I want multiple pathways through encounters, turn waypoints on for players that cant find their way after a long period of time.. don't just give it to them right away. I want to see enemies further in the distance engaged. Next gen I also want more wild-life and passive living elements in environments that surround the encounters. Make the world feel alive aside from the immediate things I am shooting at.

That's why I want dedicated servers for the next console/XBL version and Halo 5. More feature support without so much bandwidth issues e.g spectator or streaming. You also gain leverage on interactive elements for multiplayer or coop too as the server handles the dishing out and sync'ing etc. Potentially input lag for coop could be heavily reduced for example.

I'm not so sure they've tooled up for this between MS/XBL/343. I imagine the sheer success of P2P XBL and the costs associated with servers/bandwidth/maintenance negates this ever happening. That's without ever going into game engine development or cross platform integration. Although this is where things are heading and with engines like Unity or Unreal supporting so many platforms and devices it's not far off in reality. Perhaps when the features as mentioned above tip the scales they'll see this as a viable alternative. I'd prefer to pay a premium service and back such things for an expensive to get them delivered as A-grade.

I was really hoping for this :(
Halo wars?

Yep imagine playing a playlist of multiplayer where a monitor is a guy on a PC or console playing Halo Wars and chatting to take/give orders. Too cool to be true. Bungie touted Forge as a new way to play multiplayer but it never flew and was never given a chance as a full game mode, relegated to customs only basically. When you look at Dust or Warsoup the possibilities with Halo Wars & Halo 5 are very cool. Competitive even, a coach, a strategist (ala Starcraft features), a foot soldier team and slayer/objective mixed in. I'd play that for sure. Kinda of a new take on slayer/objective/FPS/RTS together.

I didnt mean more as in Halo 4 has big innovations, but as his idea was a small innovation...

Karl2177

Let's just go with the loadout example. Previously Halo used predefined loadouts and you were stuck with that. Everyone started on the same foot. Reach changed it up a bit, but you were still locked into the loadout. Mostly because it was on AA preference, not weapon preference. Halo 4 went full on Call of Duty giving you essentially 3 perks to choose from, one of which is an "active" perk.

A way to innovate on the previous Halo system without imitating Call of Duty is to give players a preferential loadout. The player can rank their weapons and AAs, and then based on certain restrictions decided by the matchmaking vote, have their loadout. It's based on the rules of the game, and everyone starts out on a relatively equal footing. It's not imitative, it's iterative.

Dirtbag

Random thought.

Ever notice how every time people talk about these imaginary future modes in fake game leaks its always this big persistant class-based war mode with some AI controlled units. It's been like this for like 2 generations now. I guess a mode like that would be super cool, but its not what people subscribed to halo MP initially for. HaloCE started really clicking at 2vs2 on xbox connect for me.

Well not every change is bitched at. Look at the Chopper and Grenade Launcher and how well they've since been incorporated into later titles.

If you aren't going to innovate then they should just improve on what is working. You don't disassemble everything down to shields and a weapon sandbox and copy COD elements to make up the difference.

Innovation is more than just adding a vehicle or a new gun. It often requires "disassembling" whats already there. You either want Halo to go in a different direction, or you dont. You cant have it both ways.

Ever notice how every time people talk about these imaginary future modes in fake game leaks its always this big persistant class-based war mode with some AI controlled units. It's been like this for like 2 generations now. I guess a mode like that would be super cool, but its not what people subscribed to halo MP initially for. HaloCE started really clicking at 2vs2 on xbox connect for me.
Didn't Halo start as an RTS?

I get this feeling that I'd want to play battles out like an RTS from the ground perspective because of the layout of ad-hoc Covenant defensive positions. They look like something you could see just being dropped onto the field in minutes: the weapon containers, floaty platforms, defensive clutter, generators for power, etc. Throw in UNSC air-dropped weapon capsules and you've got the makings of very dynamic battlefield.

Innovation is more than just adding a vehicle or a new gun. It often requires "disassembling" whats already there. You either want Halo to go in a different direction, or you dont. You cant have it both ways.
I'd rather see it change quite a bit than try to stay tethered to Bungie's template. The torch has been handed to another dev, and they have to be provided some artistic and design freedom. But its a tightrope to walk in trying to maintain Halo amidst the changes.

Dirtbag

I've been pretty clear that I don't, and never did.
There was/is no other shooter like it on the market, and what made it different was balance and pacing, with a ridiculous amount of polish on top. Those elements have been completely lost.
Why does the one game that had this nailed down feel compelled to be something else, when there is no one else that has a game that plays like it once did.

NOKYARD

Those were the numbers I remember seeing.

I am postitive there was like 300k-400k in Grifball when it came out, Nokyard might know more?
I don't recall the actual numbers, but Mike from Grifball hub has them. I'd ask but i am blocked from most gaming sites at my present location. I do know that on one of the early DXP weekends i signed on right as the playlist went up. There were 168 players. By the time we finished our first game the number had risen to over 42,000! Didn't know Xbox controllers had a F5 button.

We have no idea what to expect this time around but if league signups are any indication the numbers could be quite high for the first iteration. I doubt they would reach Halo 3 heights, but would most certainly top Reach's population.

Time for a check list:

Small symmetrical maps - check
No Loadouts - check
No Odnance drops - check
Able to drop the objective - check
Fast kill times - check
All players equal at spawn - check
Extremely clear as to which weapons/abilities your opponent carries - check
No excessive power weapons - check
Two teams enter, the better team prevails - check
Teams who communicate well tend to dominate - check
No hiding spots/glitches/exploits on maps - check

On paper it looks like Grifball it the perfect playlist for the HaloGAF competitive crowd.
insert winky face here

Blueblur1

Great ideas.

If I was involved in Halo 5 I'd propose taking the game more in a battlefield direction, with RTS elements played out by infantry in larger land or space siege battles. 16x16 or more players.

Recreate fictional battles, with one team attacking and one on defense, with MAG-like mini-objectives (take down shield generators, AA guns, stationary guns, resupply stations, vehicle depots). Holding areas would lead to new spawn points, dominion-like shield, weapon and vehicle spawns (dropped). Players would choose different classes within each faction (UNSC, Covenant, Prometheans), so UNSC could have marines, spartans and ODSTs. This mode would use AAs as a light class system. Games would also involve a mixture of player and temporary support AI units. Of course this would be a larger scale Halo, but it would fully put the sandbox to work while accentuating the fiction.

War Games would be arena based combat modes that focus on small teams and map control with balanced forces, and some modes being used as training for individual objectives in the full scale war mode. This is where player ranks would come into play, along with more traditional competitive play.

So, two main modes overall: War Games and Historical Skirmishes.

Lastly, all new players would be enrolled into a clan made up of all non-player-clan players of their faction, putting the teamwork and social aspects at the forefront from the very first match. Player clans would be in addition to this.

Gotta flip the script somehow. Still not innovative enough though.
No thanks. Don't take resources away from standard MP for some flashy mode people will abandon after a few weeks. 343 barely has even resources at it is.

I do want Halo to go in a different direction. The exact opposite one it's currently going.

Facetiousness aside, almost all weapon/vehicle sandbox additions prior to Halo 4 have been well received barring Splaser and they do change up how the game's played. It's just the stupid "it's a sequel so we have to add another mechanic onto it" that's failed every single fucking time. Dual wielding, equipment, armour abilities, customizable loadouts. It would be vastly refreshing to have one actually go back to its roots of simplicity for a change of pace.

Dirtbag

^this

Yes, lets all keep red people shooting blue people in arenas til the end of time.

Because there is such an abundance of those in the iron sights, spawn with your class based weapon market already. I really think people need to realize how few games actually do balanced arena shooters. Hardly any games even give you symmetrical maps anymore.

Yes, lets just keep red people shooting blue people in arenas til the end of time.

I've been pretty clear that I don't, and never did.
There was/is no other shooter like it on the market, and what made it different was balance and pacing, with a ridiculous amount of polish on top. Those elements have been completely lost.
Why does the one game that had this nailed down feel compelled to be something else, when there is no one else that has a game that plays like it once did.

Both of your comments are the perfect example of what 343i has to deal with every fucking day. Stay this way. No, go that way. But please everyone or you'll get smart "RIP Halo" comments.

Hey 343i, good fokin luck is all i gotta say.

Dirtbag

Both of your comments are the perfect example of what 343i has to deal with every fucking day. Stay this way. No, go that way. But please everyone or you'll get smart "RIP Halo" comments.

Boo fucking hoo, how unfortunate making a multi-million dollar franchise must be.

I DONT GIVE A FUCK IF THEIR JOB IS HARD. Its the lifeblood of xbox, one they've dumped truckloads of time and resources into. Get it right or I wont buy it. I'm the customer, and the fan that has been here since day one. I do have a voice.

To change the topic for a moment, what were 343I/Kenneth Scott going for with the Didact's/Forerunner design?

What are they trying to evoke here?

didact_kenneth.jpg

The bulbous, ugly face is far from what I imagined the Forerunners to look like.
Is it a Mass Effect, he's renegade, err.. evil so his face must reflect that mantra?

Looks some randon monster of STALKER, most of my friends confused him for Voldemort.

Boo fucking hoo, how unfortunate making a multi-million dollar franchise must be.

I DONT GIVE A FUCK IF THEIR JOB IS HARD. Its the lifeblood of xbox, one they've dumped truckloads of time and resources into. Get it right or I wont buy it. I'm the customer, and the fan that has been here since day one. I do have a voice.

Its not hard, its impossible.

Seriously. Its impossible. :)

But I'd hate to work for 343 and be chained to one unchanging vision of the game without a way to express something new. Its like having your favorite band cover an old song but requiring that song to play exactly like the original. You can keep the spirit of Halo while making changes, but you've got to let something go to let something new develop. If the core Halo experience is players being equal at spawn, and map control, then hold fast to that, reinforce and develop that, but allow changes otherwise.

This is what makes people think assume HaloGAF just wants a return to Halo 2: An aversion to change, even when the series goes to a new developer ready to work with new hardware. I don't get it.

I wouldnt mind a grenades and melee ONLY mode actually.

Might have said this before but my brother and I used to play that in Halo 2 on Ivory tower on purpose. The best fucking statistic in post carnage chat ever. Hey look at my shots fired...ZERO and we won occasionally too!

Nothing like forcing a players movement with a grenade to then melee once circle strafe and melee again for the kill.

It's not really that difficult... People blow that out of proportion IMO. It's seriously not a lot that people are asking for and Halo 4 is the closest to being the best Halo game ever. It needs some simple fixes to the gameplay/gametypes and some Halo 2 remakes then it's already the best game since 1.

Because there is such an abundance of those in the iron sights, spawn with your class based weapon market already. I really think people need to realize how few games actually do balanced arena shooters.

This, especially the bolded.

Dirtbag

If they want to make a new game, make a new franchise. Go work for a studio that wants to do that.
McDonalds doesnt drop their burger and fries because they want to innovate the salad experience.
No they add some bullshit salad mode for the idiots that buy salads at fast food restaurants. The casual fatty doesnt give a fuck what he's eating as long as it tastes good and gobbles it down till he/she has something else shoved in their faces.

There are core fundamentals that have defined halo since its inception, and these are missing or altered beyond recognition so much so that the entire pace of the experience has completely changed.

I really think people need to realize how few games actually do balanced arena shooters. Hardly any games even give you symmetrical maps anymore.
Yeah, this is a fair point. But not many games handle balancing a vehicle and infantry sandbox as well as Halo either.

Halo isn't just an arena shooter, and it hasn't been for some time.

McDonalds doesnt drop their burger and fries because they want to innovate the salad experience.
No, but they don't only have one burger on the menu either. And I thought people liked the McRib ;P

Seriously. Its impossible. :)

But I'd hate to work for 343 and be chained to one unchanging vision of the game without a way to express something new. Its like having your favorite band cover an old song but requiring that song to play exactly like the original. You can keep the spirit of Halo while making changes, but you've got to let something go to let something new develop. If the core Halo experience is players being equal at spawn, and map control, then hold fast to that, reinforce and develop that, but allow changes otherwise.

This is what makes people think assume HaloGAF just wants a return to Halo 2: An aversion to change, even when the series goes to a new developer ready to work with new hardware. I don't get it.

Then don't work at 343! Holy shit. If you don't want to be chained to the vision of Halo then don't sign up for the 343 dev team.

Dirtbag

Yeah, this is a fair point. But not many games handle balancing a vehicle and infantry sandbox as well as Halo either.

Halo isn't just an arena shooter, and it hasn't been for some time.

And loadout options have ruined those as well. Plasma pistol / plasma grenade starts, mobility and AA's make vehicles unviable and mostly pointless.

Then don't work at 343! Holy shit. If you don't want to be chained to the vision of Halo then don't sign up for the 343 dev team.
So 343 is allowed no creative vision to make changes? To put their own stamp and signature on the series? Something has to give.

"Hey, welcome to our art team. There's a picture of a jackal from Halo 3 right there and some tracing paper so you can get started. The game design team is in the other room reverse engineering Halo CE 24 hours a day. Beer's in the fridge. Enjoy."

SatansReverence

Hipster Princess
What weapon would everyone spawn with though? I'd like it to be something like the Halo 4 AR personally but I can't see the majority of halogaf going for that...

Halo 4 only has 2 things going for it for me.

Haven.

Never being forced to spawn with an AR. Ever. At any time.

So 343 is allowed no creative vision to make changes? To put their own stamp and signature on the series? Something has to give.

If they created their own game, sure, but they didn't. They took a game that had a massive and loyal fanbase and threw away almost everything that made so many people love it.

The Halo series needs big changes. The same old shit is getting stagnant.

Halo needs innovations, not just adding the modern shooter mainstays (Sprint, perks, Instant Spawn, Jip).

The vision needs to change.

Halo 2 was massive change though.

Dual Weild, cookie cutter weapon balance, and auto aim cranked up to 11.

From Halo CE to 2, it was a huge shift in gameplay for me.

I am confused why so many in HaloGaf community enjoyed Halo 2? (Maps aside, good shit!)

The game for like 6 months was unplayable from my memory... exploiters of all kinds. Gameplay wise your "odds" of survival fresh from spawn were next to nothing if your opponent simply picked up a better weapon combo than you did.

So many people here say that you want Halo to like older games where "you spawn and have the same odds as everyone" (or something to that affect), but IMO Halo 2 especially was not that game. AT ALL. CE everyone spawned with a pistol, and everyone had a fair shot.

This is not some defense of Halo 4 (which has its own unique set of issues), but more... why the love of Halo 2? It was universally loathed in its time.

EDIT: And i dont mean any offense by any comments, I know HaloGaf is passionate :p

By contrast, our admin knows exactly how much beer we drink, and orders cases and kegs and barrels of beer accordingly. Therefore, we do not run out of beer, save days when there are atypical consumption rates. Even then, we are getting better at predicting the peaks and valleys as time goes on and as more data can be analyzed.

BEER
*Goes to apply for a job at Bungie*

*Grabs a beer for myself in the meantime*
Out of curiosity, what was the per capita alcohol consumption during the design of the space section in Zealot?
Typically anything Tawpgun, or someone from A27, or anyone Tawpgun endorsed says is generally awful, but godammit this is hilarious. Bravo.
but are the new maps good small maps?
Made by CA, sooooooooo maybe/probably not.

I am confused why so many in HaloGaf community enjoyed Halo 2? (Maps aside, good shit!)

The game for like 6 months was unplayable from my memory... exploiters of all kinds. Gameplay wise your "odds" of survival fresh from spawn were next to nothing if your opponent simply picked up a better weapon combo than you did.

So many people here say that you want Halo to like older games where "you spawn and have the same odds as everyone" (or something to that affect), but IMO Halo 2 especially was not that game. AT ALL. CE everyone spawned with a pistol, and everyone had a fair shot.

This is not some defense of Halo 4 (which has its own unique set of issues), but more... why the love of Halo 2? It was universally loathed in its time.

EDIT: And i dont mean any offense by any comments, I know HaloGaf is passionate :p

Best MP in the series thats why. (Only edges out CE for the inclusion of Live.)

Ughh what? They get to tweak the engine, the guns, the gunplay, the netcode, the playlists, the armor, the maps, the UI, the fileshare, the ranking system.

They can play with all that stuff. They get to create the entire campaign. They can include and create more and more options for customs in their games to their hearts content, or what they think we will use!

Theres not a dry well there they get to do a ton of stuff.

They don't need to add a ton of map ordnance, personal ordnance, new callouts medals, + points counter, Make the scoring system weird, bring in a million companies to do stuff to their game. Instant respawn, redesign flood. Toss away all the FF improvement to work on a mode from CoD.

Lets get back to basics here.

Dirtbag

It's about knowing where you come from and staying faithful to your roots before you can add your own touch to it.
I honestly think they just dont understand the formula or aren't capable of reproducing it so we are left with this MP setup.

Dirtbag

Because we had the custom game options to make it the game we remember. I played almost exclusively with a BR start because my friends list was so viable then.

Otherwise I played the objective playlists which had their own focuses. Halo 2 was a fantastic experience cheaters aside. The game was so good we kept playing despite the standbys and superbouncers and modders.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom