• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT13|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Omni

wanna do some coop?

I'd love to, but my Internet is soo temperamental tonight. One moment it'll load everything fast, the next I'm waiting several minutes just to load Facebook.

Probably couldn't even download the map pack even if it were out

raindoc

BTB has unbalanced vehicles which are far more problematic than anything like PV or grenades.

it also features the usual shitload of power weapons. i got raped by vehicles a lot more in Reach than in H4, don't see a problem at all.

CyReN

When I bought the Limited Edition, I didn't think the limited part was about trying to access the map pack. Going to bed.

r_c_takedown

Neo Member
"Hey, lets take extra money from these people, then screw them over!"

Jesus H Christ 343. What is this? I gotta say, they make a half decent game, but things outside of the gameplay just aren't quite right.

"Hey, lets take extra money from these people, then screw them over!"

Jesus H Christ 343. What is this? I gotta say, they make a half decent game, but things outside of the gameplay just aren't quite right.
eh i'm not concerned. just playing regular btb right now. if it takes till tomorrow to get the maps fixed i'm indifferent.

Omni

Think I'm going to stay up to 11pm (it's 10:28 at the moment) and if it's not up by then I'm going to go to bed disappointed... well, not disappointed. Just kinda annoyed. Wanted to get a few games in tonight. Oh well I guess

r_c_takedown

Neo Member
eh i'm not concerned. just playing regular btb right now. if it takes till tomorrow to get the maps fixed i'm indifferent.
It doesn't phase me too much, i'm just a little disappointed. If i had known that it was going to take extra time to release for limited edition owners, i wouldn't have bothered even playing H4 tonight, and i would have been in bed by now so i can be ready for work tomorrow.

Instead, here i am, for no reason. Looks like i'll just download it tomorrow night.

It doesn't phase me too much, i'm just a little disappointed. If i had known that it was going to take extra time to release for limited edition owners, i wouldn't have bothered even playing H4 tonight, and i would have been in bed by now so i can be ready for work tomorrow.

Instead, here i am, for no reason. Looks like i'll just download it tomorrow night.

yeah i hear ya

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
I'll play another match and check out the skyboxes. When you say JPG do you mean low quality or still images?

Striker

Sigh

I mean I like BTB sometimes but man is H4 catering to casuals hard with all these big friendly maps.
The maps they mostly setup aren't even really big for 8v8. Exile and Ragnarok, of course. Vortex has some weird base issues, Longbow seems pretty good although I've only gotten it for Dominion. It has greater potential than the others, by far. It seems well built for your typical 6v6 Halo, though.

As for the grenade talk, I do agree with Booshka in that with a proper base speed and strafe, I'm also fine with strong grenades. The frags in Halo 4 do what they often did in Halo 2-3 and strip your shields, which is expected. They work okay for cleaning people out of corners or holes where the usual Mauler, I mean Boltshot, users sit. Outside getting vehicles stuck, the plasma nades aren't very useful.

Duji

343 isn't going to listen either way as proven by years of dedicated, constructive feedback from hundreds if not thousands of people across every Halo community on the web. The response we get is a crying baby on twitter, endless cross-selling of products in weekly updates, regular edition copy of the game in the $400 limited edition console, AR starts on Valhalla to this day, the removal of Squad Slayer without explanation, broken features, missing features, a map pack that caters to nobody, removal of classic legacy Halo gametypes, modes that are embarrassingly outdated when compared to the competition, etc

I'd rather watch people vent because the product they spent money on isn't what they wanted it to be than cater to some imaginary ear of 343 as if we'll actually see change and progress if everyone starts writing like Joyce.

Sad how you have to post this every month.

Einchy

Yeah, basically. Thanks mate

Quality seems to be the same as the other skyboxes in the game. For the most part it's one still imagine that slighty shifts to the left with very low opacity clouds that move over the still image.

I hope that answers your question.

The maps they mostly setup aren't even really big for 8v8. Exile and Ragnarok, of course. Vortex has some weird base issues, Longbow seems pretty good although I've only gotten it for Dominion. It has greater potential than the others, by far. It seems well built for your typical 6v6 Halo, though.

Yeah, thanks to sprint the maps feel pretty small compare to stuff like Avalanche or Sandtrap.
I'd like to have bigger maps for BTB/dominion and smaller maps for other gametypes, tbh.
The current BTB maps are ill suited for BTB as well as smaller games.

Quality seems to be the same as the other skyboxes in the game. For the most part it's one still imagine that slighty shifts to the left with very low opacity clouds that move over the still image.

blergh
Halo graphics peaked with Reach. Skyboxes, particle effects, explosions, Textures...
Lighting is better in H4, but that's it.

Omni

Yeah it does, thanks.

This makes me sad. Even Halo 3 had really awesome skyboxes... Not sure why the drastic downgrade to 2D .jpgs.

Next gen couldn't come fast enough.

Einchy

My last post was in reference to Harvest, by the way.

Shatter seems to have a bit more going on, most of it is still a still imagine but there is some kind of volcanic cloud with a lighting storm in it. It kinda looks like a moving comic of sorts, so not quite 3D.

Wreckage has a sandstorm thing going on so there really isn't much happening in the skybox. There's 2 of these things

http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20080412071107/halofanon/images/7/78/Halo3beta-valhalla.jpg

that shootoff now and then and create a bit of lighting in the sky. Probably the dullest of the three since you barely see anything, though.

Omni

Halo graphics peaked with Reach. Skyboxes, particle effects, explosions, Textures...
Lighting is better in H4, but that's it.
Actually, I'm pretty sure the lighting was much better in Halo 3 (It was packing a dual framebuffer. Massive resource hog if I remember correctly). Same with water effects (The water in Halo 4 is just 2D. It tricks you into believing it's 'interactive' like 3's if you aren't paying attention)

But at least Halo 4 is native 720p, right?

I'm being too bitter... Halo 4 looks great in campaign, but some of the tradeoffs weren't worth it, IMO.

I'm sorry, but Halo Reach was the blandest looking piece of shit out of any of the Halo games art direction-wise. There's a lot of things bad about Halo 4 but graphics and are direction (for most part) aren't one of those. I'm talking mainly about campaign.
I kinda agree. Though ONI Sword base (outside at the start of the game + at the end in The Package or whatever it's called ) look amazing.

Actually, I'm pretty sure the lighting was much better in Halo 3 (It was packing a dual framebuffer. Massive resource hog if I remember correctly). Same with water effects (The water in Halo 4 is just 2D. It tricks you into believing it's 'interactive' if you aren't paying attention)

But at least Halo 4 is native 720p, right?

Yeah, water and lighting in Halo 3 were something else.
Game still looked like crap a lot of the time (bad animations, blocky faces, aliasing out the wazoo)
Personally, I like Reach the most, visually
Best graphics, superior art design
Too bad the game itself was kinda meh

not surprised how this map pack situation is going.

just tried redownloading the map pass file, nothing. gonna delete and re download now

edit: don't know where they are on my HD, because they aren't under Halo 4. they show up in my custom games and ask if i want to goto the marketplace to buy them, but then nothing is there in relation to the map pack.

sigh

Overdoziz

Banned
I'm sorry, but Halo Reach was the blandest looking piece of shit out of any of the Halo games art direction-wise. There's a lot of things bad about Halo 4 but graphics and are direction (for most part) aren't one of those. I'm talking mainly about campaign.

Got to agree. Halo 4 is like babies first animals book compared to the Womens erotica that is Reach

Killer

Banned

I would put the first level of reach against any level in h4.

Overdoziz

Banned
I would put the first level of reach against any level in h4.
Halo-Reach-Postcards-Winter-Contingency-032-Visegrad-Overview.jpg
What a beauty.

There's this huge universe with an alien race which can build their own fucking planets and we're stuck for an entire campaign playing on a dull human colony with boring human architecture. So bad.

Omni

What a beauty.

There's this huge universe with an alien race which can build their own fucking planets and we're stuck for an entire campaign playing on a dull human colony with boring human architecture. So bad.
Some of it was okay though...

That looks better than anything we got in Halo 4, IMO. Not that there were many open fields or whatever anyway.

Plus there was lots of grass (I'm a grass guy. Little random patches irritate me)

ElRenoRaven

At 8.45 the dude sais that he knew what was going on in the Campaign of Halo 4 without using wiki, as opposed to the campaigns of prior Halo's where he had to wiki what was going on.

What the fuck? It's the other way around brah.

SERIOUSLY? SERIOUSLY? My mind is full of all kinds of WTF at that comment. See that's a prime example of why shit will not change. 343 has plenty of morons telling them shit like that.

Just WTF.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom