• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT13|

Status
Not open for further replies.

darthbob

So next week when 343 tries to lock the maps for people that got them for free, what are the chances that something will go wrong and they will get locked for LE/map pass owners?

100% or 99.99%?

343%.

I fully expect there to be meltdowns and other bullshit once a month as well.

malfcn

Wow. Just had a lagtacular map with everyone skipping around. Even had a kill cam where the person was shooting into nothingness.

It's a very dramatic difference.

Stability cuts Flinch in half. Dexterity nets me a lot of kills, though, probably more than I lose from Flinching, so it's a tough call. TBD. And honestly, Ammo coupled with an Incineration Cannon is certainly why I enjoy playing Solace or Meltdown.

Might be a good thing to add to the OT...

Yeah, get in line...

hKYU7.png

Wow. Just had a lagtacular map with everyone skipping around. Even had a kill cam where the person was shooting into nothingness.

When I was playing the game on my school's terrible Internet, most the killcams didn't even move. It was just the weapon bobbing as if someone was walking around. I kinda want to try the game out on a solid connection.

Big difference between the coupon/sale analogy is there us usually an announcement of a sale, an expectation of one. Especially MERE HOURS after the product is available.

5-10 dollars isn't an obscene amount of money to lose but a lot of this is based on principle.

What if Halo 4 launched, and everyone paid for it at midnight. Or through preorders.

Then at 8am on November 6th you find out they are giving it away for free.
That's because coupons and sales are actual marketing promotions. This was a gaffe that nobody is willing to own up to. As a result, they're handling it horribly at every turn.

I'm glad they were free. I went into matchmaking all set to purchase the maps and play the DLC playlist. When they rang up as 0 MS Points I was happy, but not ultimately concerned. I confirmed the purchase and played.

Now that I've had a few days with the Crimson pack there is zero chance that I will be paying for these maps. Definitely not worth 800 MS Points. If they didn't stutter from framerate issues during almost every single match I would consider purchasing them, but that isn't the case. Right now in BTB you can play Shatter, then Wreckage, the Shatter again and all of a sudden you get Exile and it is like a breath fucking pristine pure air (even with Gauss Hog and Scorpion). To my eyes it is a night and day difference.

I haven't actually encountered any of the maps outside of the dedicated playlist yet. Then again, entering BTB solo...

Went to the movie theater a few weeks ago to go see "The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn Pt 2".

Bought my ticket online at Fandango ahead of time, but I was meeting a friend there and he had to wait in line to buy his ticket. Took forever because the cash register was having problems.

Anyways, Fandango had a promotion where you get a soda with unlimited refills for buying online. My friend wanted a drink too, so he paid $10 for a soda and got unlimited refills (even though he only wanted one drink). Movie refreshment prices these days!

We hand our movie tickets to the theater attendant, who tears the tickets in half and directs us to the correct theater. We throw the ticket stubs away on the way in. While the trailers are playing we notice a LOT of people walking in with sodas. Then the theater PA system comes on: "Thank you for participating in our “Release Day - Slurp and Burp” program, a special offer for Twilight fans watching in the first week. As part of that program, we are providing ONE free soda (no refills!) to anyone with a ticket."

I guess that's what I get for buying movie tickets on Fandango. At least I still have instant refills. Sucks for my friend that paid $10 for his soda though, he would have been happy just getting one without unlimited refills. Wish the theater attendent had mentioned the free soda when tearing up our tickets.

Movie wasn't even that great.

senador

Banned
Big difference between the coupon/sale analogy is there us usually an announcement of a sale, an expectation of one. Especially MERE HOURS after the product is available.

5-10 dollars isn't an obscene amount of money to lose but a lot of this is based on principle.

What if Halo 4 launched, and everyone paid for it at midnight. Or through preorders.

The fact that it was a gaffe, but also that it was all on release day when there was a preorder available. I've never heard of pre-ordering something (which we essentially did with map passes) then when it releases the company also has deals where its completely free. That's just bullshit. There is simply no justification. This does not compare whatsoever to deals, plain ticket pricing, coupons, etc, at all. No comparison.

It was a fuckup, can we stop justifying it please?

I highly doubt they will take away the map pack but after the trial I would definitely re-download if they were ever 0 credits again, or if they gave me credits to play them I might do that also.

That's a list that would make me very excited about some Halo. I could play Exile again. Maps would regain their identity and flow. King of the Hill and Oddball would be perfect. On my ex would be back.

I did remove your AA and personal ordnance changes, though. Those aren't going to change anywhere other than in some strictly competitive hopper. The AAs are part of the sandbox of Halo 4, so they'll be balanced but never removed. The personal ordnance change is part of the Fiesta Slayer they're going for. Every so often you get lucky, killin' bros with an Incineration Cannon on Haven. That's pie in the sky for general playlists, but again, competitive lists with predefined loadouts will be the solution for that ill.
I like Personal Ordnance in theory, I don't like how it's been executed. I understand why 343 chose to go this route, especially after reading that bit from the guide that NullPointer, uh, pointed out. I don't like the idea of giving people giant upgrades in weaponry on a fairly regular basis, I'd rather scale it back just a bit. I think personal Ordnance should be a reward for playing well with and against others, not a "here's a free kill or several" card. Having modest weapon upgrades, powerups, and a resupply function (the grenades already partially do this, why not go all out) would be a good compromise between nothing and what we currently see, and could work well over more playlists than just the Infinity Slayer ones.

As far as AA's go, the only real problem for me is Camo. It's insanely powerful, far too powerful to have on a regular basis. I would love to see it moved back to a powerup like the Overshield, but I'm not foolish enough to believe that would ever happen.

Stability cuts Flinch in half. Dexterity nets me a lot of kills, though, probably more than I lose from Flinching, so it's a tough call. TBD. And honestly, Ammo coupled with an Incineration Cannon is certainly why I enjoy playing Solace or Meltdown.
I use Stability in my primary loadout, and so far it seems to be helping. Honestly, there are so many choices and combinations that I could spend most of my time just fooling around with them.

...because there is an achievement for it.
oh god, forgot about that. ugh, at least I don't have to play it if I don't want to.

willow ve

When I was playing the game on my school's terrible Internet, most the killcams didn't even move. It was just the weapon bobbing as if someone was walking around. I kinda want to try the game out on a solid connection.

Don't hold your breath. Kill cams on a rock solid connection are still shit. 75% of the time the kill cam shows a player firing into a wall or performing a melee into an empty corner... but you still die.

CyReN

Still amazed how this fuck up has been spun into a premeditated promotion, there will be issues with LE/SP owners for sure come the 18th if the stuff is actually removed.

Caja 117

He has a point here. Shoudn't there be some terms of service legal shenanigans about locking you out of the maps?

I wonder if they'll just not allow you to play them in matchmaking, and they might still be available for customs.

Thats why they made up this false 14 days promotion, if they publicly admit they gave up the map for free, even if it was a mistake, they could have legal repercusions by taken them away.

I wouldnt be surprise they update the servise agreement after this mess.

u4iX

I'm not sure if I'm bothered more by the fact there was a fuck up, or the fact they refuse to own up to the fuck up.

Heavily certain it's the latter, and it makes me considerably more worried for the franchise. I've learned so much from failure; I find it the fastest way to learn, but not often to I refuse to admit I've failed.

It's troubling, because they're trying to pull wool over the eyes of their die-hard fan base. Eyes that are well aware of what's actually happening. The casual fan base already put the game back on their shelves. We're the ones left dealing with the mess with no way to clean it up and Frankie has run away with the space mop.

I feel bad for 343i.

Battlefield 3 and all the DLC+updates on my Xbox HDD? 26 mother fucking gigabytes.

I hope to god that Halo never gets like that. That's like two months of internet allowance for me
That's what happens when the game is a PC port, they don't really optimize or consider hard drive space and such for the PC.
I loved Battlefield 3 - but the performance and image quality of that engine on consoles is poor at best. It's not unplayable, and I think some of the lighting etc. they manage (even in the NFS games) is impressive... but it's clearly designed for systems beyond what consoles can manage. I'll take Reach Forgeworld or the Halo 4 Crimson DLC all day, over what FB2 is producing on consoles.

From a performance standpoint, BF3 is a smoother experience than Halo IMO (frame rate, player movement, animations, gunplay).

As far as AA's go, the only real problem for me is Camo. It's insanely powerful, far too powerful to have on a regular basis. I would love to see it moved back to a powerup like the Overshield, but I'm not foolish enough to believe that would ever happen.

Camouflage as a power up makes the most sense given the history of the series and its strength, but I agree that it probably won't ever be removed. I'm trying to hope for changes that could exist within 343's reasoning, and the two big problem AAs—Active Camouflage and Jetpack—I believe could be fixed with a simple bit of nerfing:

Reduce Active Camouflage and Jetpack AA duration to around 60%.

This makes the Jetpack more of a "jumping" AA, and makes Active Camo less campy, more in-the-moment. Waiting for someone's Camo to run out is far less tedious, too. This makes AA efficiency more necessary using these AAs, then, which essentially builds in another trade-off.

I think there are smart ways to kill AAs without removing them from the game.

Tawpgun

That's what happens when the game is a PC port, they don't really optimize or consider hard drive space and such for the PC.

From a performance standpoint, BF3 is a smoother experience than Halo IMO (frame rate, player movement, animations, gunplay).

I'll give you everything but gunplay.

I know its "realistic" but the guns feel inconsistent and innacurate to me. Like BC2's guns better.

Louis Wu

But you didn't lose $5 - you didn't lose ANYTHING. The folks who got it for free got it for a WEEK. If you paid for it, you have it forever. (Do you bitch when Xbox LIVE has free Gold weekends occasionally, because someone's getting for free what you pay $50/year for?)

I'm going to be pissed if my maps get taken away. I paid 0 credits for them, but I confirmed that payment.
I lol'd.

When the hell did someone make 1 Flag CTF!?
stktt mentioned it a couple of days ago.

I wonder if on the 18th everyone will just have to redownload the maps.
I seriously doubt it. I think they'll just become locked. If you pay the 800 points, they'll unlock them again.

TCKaos

Finally got a game on Wreckage. CTF. It was actually pretty fun. The layout of the map is fairly good and the scenery is somewhat interesting even if the colors are fairly bland. The game was going well, and then it happened.

Three guys in a building firing on the other team's base. Four of them were fighting back.

The stuttering. Sweet Jesus the stuttering.

I want to like this map pack, I really do. Extraction works well on Shatter. Wreckage seems like it could be fun. Harvest isn't worse than any of the other maps in the game. Then there's always something that comes up and ruins it. Always something. Shatter is too big for 6v6 and really only works for Extraction and just looks bland. Wreckage has bland scenery and horrible frame rate drops that are easily reproducible and the complaints about it thus far are in no way, shape or form hyperbolic. Harvest is equally bland both in structure and in scenery and it's a giant open lane on either side and then a weird jumble of hallways in the middle, which is also far too large for 6v6.

I feel like that sums up my experience with this game thus far. Given that the only reason I own a 360 is for Halo and the Wii U isn't looking so hot, I guess I'll pick up a PS4 next gen. I started last gen with a PS2, so I can't imagine it being too bad. Looking forward to Little Big ______, Metal Gear Solid spinoffs and hopefully a fucking numbered Kingdom Hearts sequel.

Still amazed how this fuck up has been spun into a premeditated promotion, there will be issues with LE/SP owners for sure come the 18th if the stuff is actually removed.
For a second there I actually believed that maybe there was a chance in hell that this promotion was legit, and they were just stepping on their own toes and screwing up messaging. But then I remembered the achievements.

Has MS ever provided free content that included achievements?

I seriously doubt it. I think they'll just become locked. If you pay the 800 points, they'll unlock them again.

That makes sense, but that would seem like they would have had to plan to do this in advanced..no matter how they spin it I really don't think it was the case. One way or another the trial period thing is a neat idea. And even if I do have have to redownload the maps I don't mind, this whole thing has been a mess but things worked out ok. Well, except I don't care for the maps much, but thats a different story.

FyreWulff

Anyone else having massive connection issues with Live?

Start 360. Go into Halo 4. Play a chapter of Spartan Ops. A bit after it concludes, everything in the game will silently disconnect, then a bit later it'll tell me I've lost my connection to Live (the guide button still shows me connected) and revert me to SR1.

The only way to reconnect is to restart the 360 completely. If I leave the game, it'll disconnect completely and refuse to reconnect until I do a network test. Doing a network test will let me back on Live, but nothing inside Halo 4 works.

If I restart the 360 at that point, I'll instantly sign into Live once I select my gamertag and everything works perfectly until after I finish the next session of SPOPS.

So damn frustrating.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
I feel like that sums up my experience with this game thus far. Given that the only reason I own a 360 is for Halo and the Wii U isn't looking so hot, I guess I'll pick up a PS4 next gen. I started last gen with a PS2, so I can't imagine it being too bad. Looking forward to Little Big ______, Metal Gear Solid spinoffs and hopefully a fucking numbered Kingdom Hearts sequel.
RPh1j.png

Tawpgun

But you didn't lose $5 - you didn't lose ANYTHING. The folks who got it for free got it for a WEEK. If you paid for it, you have it forever. (Do you bitch when Xbox LIVE has free Gold weekends occasionally, because someone's getting for free what you pay $50/year for?)

Well NOW I didn't lose anything. We'll see how this "trial" thing works, but the anger before they announced they're taking the maps away was very justified. Now no one has any right to complain if they truly are taking them away. We can just criticize them on how sloppy this entire thing was.

For the record, I think they should let people keep the maps if they downloaded them. I'll gladly lose out on the $5 if it means finding the maps outside of DLC playlists.

Havok

For a second there I actually believed that maybe there was a chance in hell that this promotion was legit, and they were just stepping on their own toes and screwing up messaging. But then I remembered the achievements.

Has MS ever provided free content that included achievements?
There are free-to-play games on the marketplace like Happy Wars that do have achievements that free users can unlock, yeah. Hell, if you've got a Windows Phone you can get achievements for Minesweeper and Sudoku.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom