• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT13|

Status
Not open for further replies.

zap

I'm trying to sign up for the Infinity Challenge thing... and when I allow the app etc when clicking register - it uses an email address from my contacts (i.e. not mine) as the registration email... and I can't change it.

What?

willow ve

That bulletin - just like the other bulletins. A lot of mostly nothing.

I did like this part. It could be interpreted either way. Either they're overwhelmed by the positive support and awards they've received... or they're overwhelmed by the shit storm that they've kicked up with missing features, poor playlist management, errors, lack of communication etc. I would like to think it's the latter.

We continue to be overwhelmed at the response to Halo 4. In the whole scheme of things, though, if you are enjoying our game, that’s all that matters to us. So thank you to those of you traversing our virtual battlefields. We wouldn’t want to make this journey without you.

And

14 Day - Buy and Play?
uhhhhhhh... wat.

Made up? Sounds made up.

Lolol they're really going with the "14 Day, Buy and Play" nonsense?

That whole segment is simple copy + paste from an earlier PR piece that went into the 343i blog (from BS Angel). It's almost assuredly a PR fluff piece that was written for her and she just was told "hey, this is going out in your name and you need to put it verbatim into the bulletin." It's a cover your ass response. The "Buy and Play" is so obviously made up it's laughable.

Overall they are getting better with the updates, good work and keep progress moving forward please. We can't expect much when they just launched the game and are heading into holiday mode I suppose.

At the end of the day I appreciate having bulletins but I don't need marketing or corporate tag lines thrown at me throughout the bulletin. The feedback loop is the most important part, not holiday chatter and not corporate rehashing.

In depth details would be great, take what they did in the section 3 and linking forum threads then flesh that out with voting polls on actual changes, proposed changes, maps and mechanics to deliver a real community & developer feedback loop. Do this in game too, same threads and same voting polls even done in game as opt in.

Fracas

#fuckonami
That bulletin - just like the other bulletins. A lot of mostly nothing.

I did like this part. It could be interpreted either way. Either they're overwhelmed by the positive support and awards they've received... or they're overwhelmed by the shit storm that they've kicked up with missing features, poor playlist management, errors, lack of communication etc. I would like to think it's the latter.
Wasn't this the poorest critical reception for a Halo game? I don't think it's going to win many GOTY awards from big sites/magazines.
Uhh guys, slayer pro is getting removed. GONE.

BSAngel said it will be back and improved. Hopefully this means actual classic settings.

Fuchsdh

Who cares if Slayer Pro goes?

I mean, if the target audience was people like lots of the GAF denizens, it didn't scratch that itch. So they're working on it.

Sounds like revamping it is a better option than a chronically low population list.

kylej

Banned
343: We'll be removing Slayer Pro.

Consumer: Why?

343: It'll be back soon.

Consumer: When?

343: It'll be better when it comes back

Consumer: How so?

343: Here's a Ford pickup truck.

willow ve

Wasn't this the poorest critical reception for a Halo game? I don't think it's going to win many GOTY awards from big sites/magazines.

Yeah - I think it was. And their community has shit on Halo 4 more than even Halo Reach.

BSAngel said it will be back and improved. Hopefully this means actual classic settings.

A "future improvement" could mean anything. And I would wager it won't come back until March or later. They'll keep favorites like SWAT, etc., and never rotate KOTH or Slayer Pro back into the batch.

If they can't get fileshare going what are the odds they'll be able to shoehorn a ranking algorithm into the game to support Slayer Pro? Almost nil. And to think a simple open stats API would probably already have a working ranking system from Halocharts or some other community site...

Ken

14-buy and play = the "play by november 20th to get specializations code" no (november 6th until november 20)? It just didn't have a silly name until now.

squad slayer never returned

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Uhh guys, slayer pro is getting removed. GONE.

Saw that coming. Population was real low.

BTW, now with Slayer Pro gone, there are no playlists without radar. Tashi has no home basically lol. I can only play the regular playlists so much before having radar on gets to me.

Update was ok. Glad to hear talk of what 2013 will bring. Would have liked another word about ranks and the future patches looking forward to 2013. Especially considering the next updates until the new year won't really have any real meat to them. Just for added reassurance.

Also, "making lemonade, if you will". Sounds like acknowledging they fucked up and are trying to make things right.

343: We'll be removing Slayer Pro.

Consumer: Why?

343: It'll be back soon.

Consumer: When?

343: It'll be better when it comes back

Consumer: How so?

343: Here's a Ford pickup truck.
I would never want to drive a video game themed car. The Raptor itself is an amazing vehicle.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
squad slayer never returned
13505345220344nahz.gif

Cut down in its prime!

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Who cares if Slayer Pro goes?

I mean, if the target audience was people like lots of the GAF denizens, it didn't scratch that itch. So they're working on it.

Sounds like revamping it is a better option than a chronically low population list.
I don't understand why tweaks can't be on-the-go. Why do they need to pull something entirely? Is it just because all the playtesters are on vacation or something? I'd imagine they have an insane amount of data for their parsing that they can use, on top of people being damn vocal online about what they want in a competitive playlist; with a lot of overlap too.

Why does it need to take so long, is what I don't understand. The politics behind this stuff must be too much.

Yea make a competitive playlist yet dont give enough options to actually make it competitive Halo, and dont include a ranking system.

We were dead before the ship even sank.

Fuchsdh

I don't understand why tweaks can't be on-the-go. Why do they need to pull something entirely? Is it just because all the playtesters are on vacation or something? I'd imagine they have an insane amount of data for their parsing that they can use, on top of people being damn vocal online about what they want in a competitive playlist; with a lot of overlap too.

Well, I think they've still got the ideal playlists size they're working with, so they'd rather axe something and bring it back with more fanfare. Which to me seems like a perfectly reasonable approach, although making minor tweaks and just running with it is also a valid option.

(I think that coming off of Reach the playlist size seems much nicer to me, as well as the much more distilled and focused playlists. While I think some amount of recombination is necessary--such as combining KoTH and Oddball into a Team Control sometime down the line--I do like knowing exactly what I'm getting in most lists.)

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
It was usually the second highest next to Infinity Slayer launch week.

And then SWAT came out and it dropped so low. RIP best playlist.

I hope they don't bring Slayer Pro back. I would rather a real, dedicated competitive playlist(they did called Slayer Pro a competitive playlist) There's no point in Slayer Pro existing if they're also going to add in an MLG playlist. 343 should either add the MLG playlist when its ready or just make the competitive playlist themselves but just have the settings be the collaborative product of the competitive Halo community.

Why not add BTB Objective in it's place or use MLG Dallas settings for the TS Pro playlist?

They said they need to keep the playlist down. To ensure proper trueskill MM.

Even though we sat in lobby for forever waiting for games sometimes the last time I played. It literally was so damn long to get a game, and then they weren't even close to our skill level. So sad.

There are some positives at the moment.

1. Online tournament by the developers themselves, even spreading out over the various game modes and playlists...good things and a great start to just go with variety.

2. Competitives are getting a playlist back early next year, good news but have to wait for it a bit.

3. Playlist rotations and exploit fixes continue on a rolling weekly cycle.

4. Map pack was fixed pretty quick overall, like 9 hours or something.

5. Holidays noted but staff remain to service Halo 4 until back to full swing in JAN 2013.

6. Bravo involved with 343i and the emerging MLG settings.

7. Some Forge maps are going to put into matchmaking soon.

I'm actually thinking things are becoming more operational now and I think with some good sales and tweaks over the next 2-4 weeks we could be playing a much improved Halo in our playlist choices come JAN/FEB 2013.

kylej

Banned
In the last Halo 4 bulletin of the year, we get detailed line items about a Ford pickup truck instead of getting them for matchmaking changes. Hilarious.

willow ve

Why does it need to take so long, is what I don't understand. The politics behind this stuff must be too much.

Well, I think they've still got the ideal playlists size they're working with, so they'd rather axe something and bring it back with more fanfare. Which to me seems like a perfectly reasonable approach, although making minor tweaks and just running with it is also a valid option.

(I think that coming off of Reach the playlist size seems much nicer to me, as well as the much more distilled and focused playlists. While I think some amount of recombination is necessary--such as combining KoTH and Oddball into a Team Control sometime down the line--I do like knowing exactly what I'm getting in most lists.)

It would make sense to do a simple A/B test in playlists. Choose players at random and give them variant A to play for a week. Give other players variant B. The variant of the game that gets the most return players after 7 days of stat gathering gets pushed to everyone for the rest of the month. This happens all the time with other software platforms (notably the Facebook interface is notorious for A/B testing).

Granted this would result in smaller playlist sizes as you're splitting some players off into an artificially created play pen, but it would be invisible to all the players... so you wouldn't know what to bitch about.

It would make sense to do a simple A/B test in playlists. Choose players at random and give them variant A to play for a week. Give other players variant B. The variant of the game that gets the most return players after 7 days of stat gathering gets pushed to everyone for the rest of the month. This happens all the time with other software platforms (notably the Facebook interface is notorious for A/B testing).

Granted this would result in smaller playlist sizes as you're splitting some players off into an artificially created play pen, but it would be invisible to all the players... so you wouldn't know what to bitch about.

In game opt in polls/Q&A integrated to the Waypoint forums/threads/polls combined with game tracking and statistics is more than enough to provide the feedback loop required.

It's not rocket science in my opinion to gather and collate accordingly. It's all in the decision making and interpreting of the data. The latter part is where things go askew.

Slayer Pro is gone, still no Extraction list, and all matchmaking updates for the next month are a Ford cross-promotion? Disappointing to say the least.

This was awesome, and true though:
Frank or Kiki?

Kiki, because she makes the best margaritas and Frank only exists to drink them.

Saw that coming. Population was real low.

BTW, now with Slayer Pro gone, there are no playlists without radar. Tashi has no home basically lol. I can only play the regular playlists so much before having radar on gets to me.

Update was ok. Glad to hear talk of what 2013 will bring. Would have liked another word about ranks and the future patches looking forward to 2013. Especially considering the next updates until the new year won't really have any real meat to them. Just for added reassurance.

Also, "making lemonade, if you will". Sounds like acknowledging they fucked up and are trying to make things right.

Swat has no radar also. But that's a whole different gametype than standard halo sandbox.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
I got a double XP bottle cap from a Mountain Dew if anyone wants some double XP. I don't own a 360 nor Halo 4, so it's yours. PM me if you want it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom