• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT15| Beta-tested, GAF approved

Toa TAK

Banned
Going through the Reach campaign now. I have to say, I do like the way the game looks. The cutscenes are still amazing to look at.

Fracas

#fuckonami
Ordnance was not in any way a selling point of the game. The game sold because it's Halo.

There obviously aren't any stats to back me up or disprove this, but I'd bet that the vast majority of the crowd they were trying to attract didn't even know of ordnance. Hell, we didn't even know about it until the GI article.

DeadNames

Banned
Ordnance was not in any way a selling point of the game. The game sold because it's Halo.

There obviously aren't any stats to back me up or disprove this, but I'd bet that the vast majority of the crowd they were trying to attract didn't even know of ordnance. Hell, we didn't even know about it until the GI article.

Oh boy I remember that night. Waypoint, a guy said he had the scans. No one believed him, it seemed to crazy and made people think "There's no way that could be it!", but then came the screenshots... the oh so dreaded screenshots.

blamite

Oh boy I remember that night. Waypoint, a guy said he had the scans. No one believed him, it seemed to crazy and made people think "There's no way that could be it!", but then came the screenshots... the oh so dreaded screenshots.

I remember waiting up late that night for some girl on Tumblr to upload the scans and some stupid song would autoplay every time and I had to keep muting it.

Our new sources have only improved a little bit since then.

Trey

Flashpoint moment. HaloGAF was basically "no, no, no"ing the entire night.

Hey, keep to voice chat. We don't need no cross pollination here.

Mtdcy.gif

Computron

Louis WU PM me this

holy wow bungie.

Context? Was Wu at bungie and they showed him the build?

You guys should take callers on the podcast like a radio show. And have bits like Frankie calling in playing a character.

I really miss the Bungie Podcast. I was relistening to some of the old ones before destiny came out. The night before it I was listening to the one with Franky playing Sean Connery. Then, Just before the trailer I was listening to the one with Chris butcher describing the next 10+ years in gaming, going all out with VR and AR predictions, and about asyncronous MMOs that you can play/manage on mobile when your away from your console, etc... Then it was fun to see Destiny for the first time just hours later and see him start off the vidoc.

Halo 3 mp anyone?

Damnit, just as i'm going to sleep.

Yep, look at Majestic. The maps are nice but everyone is holding a power weapon.

Havok

Sorry Barrow, Domino, and biggy, my internet decided now was a good time to crap out, I'm posting this from my phone. If it comes back up soon I'll hop in again.
You've said a lot of crazy shit, but this? Just plain wrong.
Seriously. Multiple extraction sites encourages an incredibly passive experience where you're never really encouraged to go after the enemy sites more than once in a match. The single extraction site forces conflict in a way that default Extraction just doesn't.

J10

Banned
Awesome. That image reminds me that Halo 2 had some form of theater mode since there was once a 'Saved Films' option. Bungie plays around with a lot of ideas and sometimes they don't work for a very long time. Headhunter was a Halo 2 game type that finally showed up in Reach. And it's pretty obvious that the Arbiter's camouflage ability in Halo 2 is the predecessor to equipment and armor abilities.

I dunno if this was discussed already, but I remember someone from Bungie commenting that they spent a significant amount of development resources getting Long Night of Solace working in Reach. At the time it didn't really make sense because it was just one level, but I guess now that we know players will be flying around in Destiny, it's another highlight on how forward thinking they are with the things they build. LNoS was just one level of one game, and the technology behind that one level is potentially a game-wide feature on their next project.

I also remember people digging through the Reach beta code and finding a gametype option called Dogfight. I guess that would be the multiplayer component of their flight sim tech that they either held back or hadn't quite finished in time for Reach's launch. I wouldn't be surprised if that reemerged as a multiplayer mode in Destiny.

Seriously. Multiple extraction sites encourages an incredibly passive experience where you're never really encouraged to go after the enemy sites more than once in a match. The single extraction site forces conflict in a way that default Extraction just doesn't.

EwH3y5q.gif

Fotos

Playing the new maps for the first time. Played some FFA and got killed by a jet packer with a saw and damage boost. Fuck infinity.

I guess me saying I like 2-point extraction basically puts me on the same level as the weirdos who liked Invasion then.

Whoa...Let's not rush to extremes. It's just a much more boring version of the gametype. Whereas single extraction is intense and requires coordination and some strategy, multi-extraction requires maybe one real fight to gain a lead and then play it boring and safe the rest of the game for your guaranteed win. You get a lead or even simply *extract yours first* and all you have to do is play it safe and ignore the other team from that point onward.

Gordon

Anybody got naming suggestions for an Action Sack-ey gametype?
Players load-out with Railguns, Boltshots, Pulse grenades, PV, Dexterity, and Shielding
I'm think a Team Slayer variant and a CTF variant. Have PODs set to drop certain AAs and disable the rest of the ordnance. Ammo unlimited, naturally.
I need a new shenanigans-ey gametype to suggest for customs. For some reason, nobody's been going for Infinity Boltshots...

Edit: Top of page?
Anus prepared.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Players load-out with Railguns, Boltshots, Pulse grenades, PV, Dexterity, and Shielding
I'm think a Team Slayer variant and a CTF variant. Have PODs set to drop certain AAs and disable the rest of the ordnance. Ammo unlimited, naturally.
I need a new shenanigans-ey gametype to suggest for customs. For some reason, nobody's been going for Infinity Boltshots...

Inb4 "Infinity"

IHaveIce

Banned

Edit: Top of page?
Anus prepared.
Make the movement speed incredible high and gravity also a little bit less. Than it could be a fun crazy shooter like Shootmania.

If not I would name it "Don't play this"

Gordon

If you loadout with a railgun and dexterity, why do you need the boltshot?
Why do you need a magnum in snipers?
To be an ass with, obviously

And actually having everybody with BS works out kinda nicely, because if a Magnum is the only headshot capable weapon on the field it can be a pain in the right hands, but team-shooting with boltshots is hilarious. It's actually why I like 'Infinity Boltshots' so much. When you isolate the weapons like that, weird shit starts happening. Damage Boost + the BS's pew-pew-pew fire is actually a viable powerplay lol [In BSTF that is]

Edit: Linky

I understand it's just a crazy gametype, but one could make a good argument for "team-railgunning" as well, no?
Yeah - I just mean taking the focus off of the main weapon. My intention is gameplay that revolves around the charge/fire/reload rhythm of the Railgun. The BS offers a clean-up option that won't overwhelm the Railgun's effectiveness at longer range. Plus it has a charge-up too, so it's kinda theme-ey. Pulse nades have a timed effect - basically the only reason I would choose them over frags. Well, I guess again the overwhelming the primary focus of the gameplay aspect too, but yeah.. frags probably wouldn't be that bad.

"Don't play this"
Best suggestion I've seen so far. Kinda prefer 'Infinity Don't Play This' though. Any other ideas? lol

"Lockheed Martin F-35 Lightning II"
Wow.

Why do you need a magnum in snipers?
To be an ass with, obviously

And actually having everybody with BS works out kinda nicely, because if a Magnum is the only headshot capable weapon on the field it can be a pain in the right hands, but team-shooting with boltshots is hilarious. It's actually why I like 'Infinity Boltshots' so much. When you isolate the weapons like that, weird shit starts happening. Damage Boost + the BS's pew-pew-pew fire is actually a viable powerplay lol [In BSTF that is]

I understand it's just a crazy gametype, but one could make a good argument for "team-railgunning" as well, no?

Best suggestion I've seen so far. Kinda prefer 'Infinity Don't Play This' though. Any other ideas? lol
"Lockheed Martin F-35 Lightning II"

Gordon

Okay - here's a second gametype that needs a name. I'm gonna go crash and come back in the morning to see how many people suggest, "Infinityball". I'm guessing >5.

Base gametype - Grifball
Loadouts hidden
Primary; Scattershot [Unlimited]
Secondary; None
Grenades; None
AA; HLS [Unlimited]
Support; Dexterity
Tactical; None

Grif traits - reduced speed, closer to HLS active walking speed to encourage phalanx-es

(I did this with Boltshots before and it was pretty funny, but now I can't exploit their silly properties for the same shenanigans. The BS nerf killed like half of my customs gametypes.)

Sorry Barrow, Domino, and biggy, my internet decided now was a good time to crap out, I'm posting this from my phone. If it comes back up soon I'll hop in again.
No problem, thanks for sticking around. Hopefully we can pick where we left off soon. You getting Judgement?

From their FB page:
"Axis Animation 10 minutes ago ·

Talking of behind the scenes, we've got more Spartan Ops Behind the Scenes coming with interview and exclusive footage from the studio - ETA 2 weeks-ish."

TCKaos

With Extraction I think it has to have an odd number of points to encourage combat. If there's one to fight over then you have to control the one point, if there are three to fight over it's a fight to control the third point or prevent your opponent from extracting two points at once. If it's two points then it's a race to see who can get their point to extract the fastest.

With two points you run the risk of losing your point if you engage the enemy. If you started extracting your point before your opponent started extracting theirs you have absolutely no reason to attack their point. It's much safer just to defend your point and then capture the next point that spawns than it is to attack their point and risk dying, which then gives them an advantage in attacking your point.

Has anyone tried making Domination using Extraction, yet? It seems like it'd be a cool idea.

Also you kids need to get on Halo:CE with Open Sauce. Shit is nice and fixes the widescreen FOV issue. There are even a bunch of Halo 3 styled .yelo maps so you can have bloom and ballin' post processing effects while using a BR on Blood Gulch.

With Extraction I think it has to have an odd number of points to encourage combat. If there's one to fight over then you have to control the one point, if there are three to fight over it's a fight to control the third point or prevent your opponent from extracting two points at once. If it's two points then it's a race to see who can get their point to extract the fastest.

With two points you run the risk of losing your point if you engage the enemy. If you started extracting your point before your opponent started extracting theirs you have absolutely no reason to attack their point. It's much safer just to defend your point and then capture the next point that spawns than it is to attack their point and risk dying, which then gives them an advantage in attacking your point.

Has anyone tried making Domination using Extraction, yet? It seems like it'd be a cool idea.

Also you kids need to get on Halo:CE with Open Sauce. Shit is nice and fixes the widescreen FOV issue. There are even a bunch of Halo 3 styled .yelo maps so you can have bloom and ballin' post processing effects while using a BR on Blood Gulch.

Agreed on the extraction points. It really only seems to work with one or three points.

From their FB page:
"Axis Animation 10 minutes ago ·

Talking of behind the scenes, we've got more Spartan Ops Behind the Scenes coming with interview and exclusive footage from the studio - ETA 2 weeks-ish."
I am looking forward to it. The CGI cutscene were the best part of SpOps. Did Axis Animation make the Campaign CGI as well?

OT: But I bought Metal Gear Rising today. Woot :D

Top Bottom