• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT15| Beta-tested, GAF approved

Karl2177

When can we get an FFA playlist that has a max party of 1? I'd love to enter a free for all game where people aren't in a party. :/

Woorloog

Banned
He was up in orbit trying to destroy the map to Earth with Master Chief. The game should have followed the book.
I know that but... he could've had a cameo at very least, on some early mission, during the vanguard invasion missions (ie up to Long Night of Solace).
I think most people would agree that Halo 2 Cortana was the best.

Yes it was. Never liked Halo 3's model compared to Halo 2's... nor do i really like 4's.

Akai__

Did Bungie ever said, why they killed Johnson? I found him to be the best character, besides Chief and the Arbiter. His death was not really needed, in my opinion.

RIP Johnson. :(

ElRenoRaven

I know that but... he could've had a cameo at very least, on some early mission, during the vanguard invasion missions (ie up to Long Night of Solace).

Yes it was. Never liked Halo 3's model compared to Halo 2's... nor do i really like 4's.

I do agree. It would have been nice to have even an audio cameo. Hell you could have had Johnson with Captain Keyes in the Pelican. Hell if you didn't wanna do a model you could have had him up front saying captain we have to go or something like that.

Did Bungie ever said, why they killed Johnson? I found him to be the best character, besides Chief and the Arbiter. His death was not really needed, in my opinion.

Well it was a conclusion to the trilogy and when going out big people tend to die.

Fotos

Now that i'm thinking about it, Master Chief and Cortana didn't have any memorable lines in Halo 4. Which is ironic considering the Master Chief had the most lines in Halo 4 than any other Halo game. Halo 1,2,3 all had like 3 lines that are really well known.

Woorloog

Banned

Gotta have emotional impact... Cheap way for that. End of the trilogy, no need for him anyway, so kill him off.
To be honest, deaths don't do that for me, or very rarely only, and only if the character dying is someone whom i like a lot. Mass Effect 3 tried that cliche "see a child die" (was annoyingly cheap thing, and why the fuck would i care for some random video game child?).

ElRenoRaven

Gotta have emotional impact... Cheap way for that. End of the trilogy, no need for him anyway, so kill him off.
To be honest, deaths don't do that for me, or very rarely only, and only if the character dying is someone whom i like a lot. Mass Effect 3 tried that cliche "see a child die" (was annoyingly cheap thing, and why the fuck would i care for some random video game child?).

I dunno. It actually kind of shocked me. Course once it happened I was like yea I could see it coming. Stupid Guilty Spark couldn't be trusted. Made taking him out though all the more satisfying.

Overdoziz

Banned
Now that i'm thinking about it, Master Chief and Cortana didn't have any memorable lines in Halo 4. Halo 1,2,3 all had like 3 lines that are really well known.
I liked that moment in Halo 4 where they said that "Don't make a girl a promise" line for the millionth time in the franchise.

Woorloog

Banned
Now that i'm thinking about it, Master Chief and Cortana didn't have any memorable lines in Halo 4. Halo 1,2,3 all had like 3 lines that are really well known.

Hmm.
What i remember, somehow struck me as significant:
Cortana:
"I won't let you leave this planet!" Because it was so damn cheesy.
"I know over 40k reasons..." Well, i don't remember exact words but that speech anyway.
"Before this is over, figure out which one of us is the machine" Important question.

The Chief:
"She said that once to me, about being a Machine" Epiphanic statement from the Chieft? Also, wrote the capital M accidentally.

But are any of these "well known"? Not sure.

I dunno. It actually kind of shocked me. Course once it happened I was like yea I could see it coming. Stupid Guilty Spark couldn't be trusted. Made taking him out though all the more satisfying.

Oh. Wait. I'm mixing up Miranda Keye's and Johnson's deaths. One of those touched me more. Can't think of which one... and for some reason i'm thinking those happening in the same scene.

EDIT my problem with deaths in video games is that we don't have time to bond with characters, and if we do, deaths are too cheaply done or are not meaningful.. or too much so. You know, symbolic death, i'm sick of symbolism.

Tawpgun

Now that i'm thinking about it, Master Chief and Cortana didn't have any memorable lines in Halo 4. Which is ironic considering the Master Chief had the most lines in Halo 4 than any other Halo game. Halo 1,2,3 all had like 3 lines that are really well known.

Hmm... That's interesting, I'm not recalling anything either. He had more lines in Halo 4 and they brought out his character but lost the one liner man of few words aspect of him.

Fotos

The only problems I have with the Campaign are the amount of pointless lines the Chief has like "Hm Requiem. At least we know where we are now." and the lack of the classic Halo theme.

Toa TAK

Banned
The only problems I have with the Campaign are the amount of pointless lines the Chief has like "Hm Requiem. At least we know where we are now." and the lack of the classic Halo theme.

The one line that struck me as completely pointless was on Dawn when he said "These Covenant seem more fanatical than the ones we've fought before."

It was so out of the blue.

Akai__

The best line from Chief was, when he said "No, sir" to Del Rio. It's also the most memorable line from the Halo 4 campaign for me.

If only Palmer tried to arrest the Chief...

Woorloog

Banned

I don't give a crap about the classic Halo theme BUT you're right in that the Chief has too many "captain Obvious" moments, telling his nature in words, which is unlike the Chief... ("Asking's not my strong suit", he should have just grunted something in response, IMO).

I don't like featureless protagonist, a blank protagonist. I've never care for the Chief as a character, but neither have i ever felt it to be easy to project myself on him relate to.
I did realize sometime ago this has to do with the fact he is inhuman killing machine, i can't relate with such characters, for they're not me, they're not even human really.
But frankly, i feel the Chief is worse character in Halo 4 than before. The reason for this is simple: He is empty, a blank. But trying to give some personality to emptiness... that doesn't work. Cortana has always been the Chief's voice, i'd say even his personality. Giving him his own.. character breaks his very concept and how Cortana acted as.. a medium beetween the Chief and the rest of the Haloverse.
This is also one reason i don't like Nylund's Halo books, for they tell about the Chief who shouldn't be a protagonist in a book. His other characters are much better.

It was already kind of weak in the first place. Felt pretty cheesy the first time I heard it honestly.

Am i alone in GAF in that i don't mind cheesyness, melodrama, quips...?

Fotos

The best line from Chief was, when he said "No, sir" to Del Rio. It's also the most memorable line from the Halo 4 campaign for me.

If only Palmer tried to arrest the Chief...

Honestly, who didn't laugh at the part where Del Rio says " I order you... TO SURRENDER THAT A.I."

Omni

I liked that moment in Halo 4 where they said that "Don't make a girl a promise" line for the millionth time in the franchise.

Egh. It was a good line in Halo 2, but jeeez they need to move on. When I first heard it in Halo 4 I actually cringed... just egh

I loved Reclaimer's ending cutscene just because it was corny enough to be perfect within the universe. How do you make a one-dimensional character entertaining? Give him some of the best acting in the game. That whole scene was beautiful, really.

Also going on record saying I loved snarky Halo 1/2-era Chief.

EDIT:
"Are you any good at clearing LZs?"
"On occasion."

Feels like Halo.

Akai__

Honestly, who didn't laugh at the part where Del Rio says " I order you... TO SURRENDER THAT A.I."

I didn't laughed at that part. I laughed, when Master Chief said "No, sir". If someone else in the army, would decline an order, he would probably get in a lot of trouble, but nobody is messing with the Master Chief.

That said, I found it really funny and Del Rio got what he deserved. Of course, it was intended and 343i wanted us to hate him, but I enjoyed it anyways.

"She said that to me once."

Ehhh... yeah, like 3 hours back.

Damn it Over, you're ruining the moment for me.
Now i can't, uh... un-realize that. Makes that "once" sound stupid, weakening the line overall.

lol that line reminded me of Marv from Sin City and now that I think about it so does Master Chief...............................

......and going deeper Marv's psychiatrist Lucille was later missing an arm too like Halsey!

AND Cortana was his Goldie (that blonde chick who died)

343 copied Sin City confirmed.

v lmfao

Woorloog

Banned
Of course, it was intended and 343i wanted us to hate him, but I enjoyed it anyways.

This is something i don't like in Halo 4 and SpOps.
Characters are seemingly made to be hated or liked.
Spartan Thorne: Audience Surrogate. We're supposed to like him, to relate him.
Majestetic Squad's commander whose name escapes me, we're supposed to dislike him.
Lasky: reasonable commander, old comrade of Chief's, like.
Palmer: "cool" Spartan, like (i suppose).
Del Rio: Incompetent commander, dislike (having read Glasslands, i knew he wasn't a proper commander for wartime, which is a fine character idea but it was wasted on Halo 4).
Halsey: A question mark.

Fuchsdh

Speaking of using Halo 3/ODST/Reach models that was one thing that somewhat annoyed me in a few places. Tank for example. Instead of closing up the spot where they added the turret in those games they just removed it and left a black hole there. Looked really awful.

I personally liked that little detail, actually. I figured it makes more sense that you'd have the same basic tank parts, then customize it further from that.

If we had a wishlist for maintaining visual continuity?
Chief, marines, Banshees, Pelicans = Halo 3
Elites, Grunts = Halo 2 (Would love the more upright posture of the old Elites, and I love the sleeker helmets. Make the field marshals, Spec Ops guys have their own armor, I guess, but I love the rank-and-file designs. And Halo 2 was the last time the Grunts were really cute.)
I think the new stuff 343i added--the cigar, slimmed shapes of the Infinity, the Mantis, new weapon designs--are all fine. I just don't know why they had to reinvent the wheel.

That struck me as creepy more than anything else.

Yeah I get the intent behind it, but they really should have seen how that would come off as... off. That entire cutscene could have used a rewrite, and everyone would have been so much happier.

Halo CE/Pelicans look so much better than 3's, Reach's or 4's (those are really ugly).

What's the big difference between 1 and 3? I know in Reach they got oddly... matte, I guess? Off-coloring. I like the Halo 4 Pelicans as a gunship variant, but I don't like the overall design, and the fact that you can't fire at anything in the other turrets when the pilot is trying to shoot is a kind of laughable oversight.

Halo 1 marines are amazing. That 90s sci fi feel with the metal armor. GODDAMN.

scrn_093.jpg

Woorloog

Banned
Halo 1 marines are amazing. That 90s sci fi feel with the metal armor. GODDAMN.

scrn_093.jpg

In retrospect, i don't think i really like that armor. Kinda silly looking. That said, Halo 2's, 3's and Reach's more realistic take... i don't like that either. Not futuristic enough.
Halo 4's marine armor... that looks simply silly. Sure, it does look kinda futuristic and different but just no. It is one of a few of graphical things in Halo 4 i don't like (along with Reach-like Banshee and some weapons).
EDIT the green eye-piece is perfect though. Lame they lost that until Reach.. where it wasn't noticeable nor commong enough.

But ODST armor... that's good. Halo 2, good. Halo 3, excellent. Halo3:ODST: God-tier. Futuristic yet functional, with realistic feeling, reconizable.

HTupolev

I personally liked that little detail, actually. I figured it makes more sense that you'd have the same basic tank parts, then customize it further from that.
And any unused mounts are covered in bowl-shaped panels?

Elites, Grunts = Halo 2 (Would love the more upright posture of the old Elites, and I love the sleeker helmets. Make the field marshals, Spec Ops guys have their own armor, I guess, but I love the rank-and-file designs.
I really like the more subtle variations between elite types seen in Halo 1 and to some extent Halo 2. And the overall style in both games was nice and sleek.

I sort of like Reach's, but they're very different creatures, and perhaps too adorable and bubbly.

And Halo 2 was the last time the Grunts were really cute.
Grunt style:

Halo 1>Halo 2>Halo 3~Reach>>>>>>>>>>>>>Octopus(?)

Woorloog

Banned
I really like the more subtle variations between elite types seen in Halo 1

There was exactly 2 variations of Elites in CE: Normal and "winged"-helmet. Same with Grunts, straight tank and curled tank.
Halo 2 had actually less variation, if one ignores the heretics and the Arbiter, and remembers that Honor-Guard armor was mere extras on top of normal armor). Of Elites, there were normal and the Councillor variant (Alien-queen helmet).
EDIT, right, CE Zealots and Stealths had also Forerunnner Glyphs on their armor but that was merely texture thing.

I like the artistic style 343 took with the Elites, but I still don't understand why the "royalty" look went away after CE. That's more of Bungie's fault though. Elites went from majestic warriors to plain enemies pretty fast.

HTupolev

In retrospect, i don't think i really like that armor. Kinda silly looking.
It's silly-looking in a vacuum, but you could say the same about anything in Halo 1. The important part is whether it works in the context of Halo 1, which it does.

There was exactly 2 variations of Elites in CE: Normal and "winged"-helmet. Same with Grunts, straight tank and curled tank.
Halo 2 had actually less variation, if one ignores the heretics and the Arbiter, and remembers that Honor-Guard armor was mere extras on top of normal armor). Of Elites, there were normal and the Councillor variant (Alien-queen helmet).
EDIT, right, CE Zealots and Stealths had also Forerunnner Glyphs on their armor but that was merely texture thing.
In addition to the helmet thing, Halo 1 had variations in spikes on the models. Zealot's arms are crazy.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I like the artistic style 343 took with the Elites, but I still don't understand why the "royalty" look went away after CE. That's more of Bungie's fault though. Elites went from majestic warriors to plain enemies pretty fast.
I hope in Halo 5 they begin integrating Forerunner gifts/tech/aesthetics into Elite armor to emphasize how they're being used.

I think there is a ton of interesting stuff they can do aesthetically and can benefit gameplay from meshing Covies with Forerunner. Imagine after beating a squadron of Elites the armor forms together into some sort of Forerunner enemy for you to fight, or Elites being able to manipulate their armor to create barricades, etc. with the tradeoff of vulnerability.

Top Bottom