• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT15| Beta-tested, GAF approved

Fuchsdh

I dunno, something about it seems warped. Side-on it looks alright, but the front view is... weird.

Maybe it's just the visor. But Reach's looks closer than 4's, IMO. And lol. I don't think I've ever noticed how bad the space diaper looks until now. So glad 343i got rid of it haha

Huh, I'd need Loftus to give me exact dimensions. Maybe I'm hating on the Reach version because they messed up the MkV so badly and I feel like they did to the MkVI too :)

And yeah, the space diaper always bothered me on the Mark VI (much less so on the Mk V due to the overall increased bulk.) I would have loved an armor redesign for the Chief (when it made sense...)

vhfive

Worst support in NA

I'm actually the best support player, people (Acrid) just don't believe in me.

Also another question
There are more timed/predictable ordinance power weapon drops in the newest map pack, can we expect (hope) that 343 will go back and look to do that more in the older maps?

EDIT: Now that I think about it that may not be true. Its only the rockets (on both maps) and sticky det. that are like that. I guess it feels more noticeable because rockets matter way more than the needler or some other shit. Changed my question

J10

Banned
If only you could assign traits to teams and loadouts.

Used to use VIP in Halo 3 to do this because it allowed for a round-based variant, so you could assign different traits to attackers/defenders. Wacky stuff like assign one team Needlers with fast move speed, and the other team Rocket Launchers with slow move speed, and the traits would switch teams each round. Or one team has BRs and headshot immunity while the other team has snipers with no shields. Set scoring to the standard kill=1 point and just play like regular Team Slayer.

Halo 3's custom options were the best in the series. Reach opened up more possibilities with the improved Forge, but most of that potential was locked away behind that stupid scripting tool we didn't (and still don't) have access to.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
I'm actually the best support player, people (Acrid) just don't believe in me.

Also another question
There are more timed/predictable ordinance power weapon drops in the newest map pack, can we expect (hope) that 343 will go back and look to do that more in the older maps?

EDIT: Now that I think about it that may not be true. Its only the rockets (on both maps) and sticky det. that are like that. I guess it feels more noticeable because rockets matter way more than the needler or some other shit. Changed my question

That's actually almost exactly a question I was going to ask

Great minds...something something

ElRenoRaven

I dunno, something about it seems warped. Side-on it looks alright, but the front view is... weird.

Maybe it's just the visor. But Reach's looks closer than 4's, IMO. And lol. I don't think I've ever noticed how bad the space diaper looks until now. So glad 343i got rid of it haha

I dunno I like it. It's a very nice cross between their Masterchief and Bungie's. In fact I'd actually prefer that they had used that for the singleplayer armor. It at least looks familiar.

Striker

Halo 3's custom options were the best in the series. Reach opened up more possibilities with the improved Forge, but most of that potential was locked away behind that stupid scripting tool we didn't (and still don't) have access to.
You couldn't create 3 Plots for shit's sake, because Territories wasn't set up to count time like that. So if you wanted to greatly improve the not-so-good default gametypes into balanced ones you were fairly limited.

Maybe it's time you stop playing? Like every day it's something new wrong with Halo for you.

I kind of have to agree. We are at the point in Halo 4's lifetime where if you still can't find much enjoyment in it, might be time to just take a break. I know it is easier said than done, but at least just give it a try. I am too compulsive so I have to literally remove any possible means of playing it and frustrating myself, so I just got rid of it.

Chiron>skyline

Also, I know lockout is a Halo 2 sacred cow an all but it's time people really started to question the opening spawns because it is some bullshit.

Red team gets:

Instant access to the most powerful area of the map (BR tower)

Instant access to the sword, which in throwdown, with sprint, no radar, no stopping power and a 5 shot BR is an absolute beast

Quicker access to the sniper

Blue team gets:

A needler where shotty used to spawn

The lowest area of the map

An uphill climb to the sniper

Everyone here OK with that?

Tawpgun

My tips for those that don't like Halo 4's changes.

If you got bros, play Throwdown.

If you don't got bros, play another game.

HOWEVER.

If you really want to play Halo 4 and you're willing to do it Solo, play Team Doubles. Maybe its just me, but for whatever reason I kept getting pretty good teammates, almost like trueskill was working or something. Go in with a mic, you might make a friend. Its worked for me. Infinity Dubs might get voted once in a while, but its still not that bad because the maps are good/static ordnance.

I kind of have to agree. We are at the point in Halo 4's lifetime where if you still can't find much enjoyment in it, might be time to just take a break. I know it is easier said than done, but at least just give it a try. I am too compulsive so I have to literally remove any possible means of playing it and frustrating myself, so I just got rid of it.

I think Halo 4 is a better game with Reach, especially with Throwdown and Majestic, but trust me, if there was another great multiplayer shooter out right now, I would be playing that. It really is a horrible time for shooters. There's no game I want to dedicate myself too like I did with Quake III, CS, BF 1942/2, Halo 2/3, CoD2, and GoW. I find BF 3 to be the Reach equivalent to the series. CoD is CoD. Crysis and MoH are CoD wannabes. I still don't know why Judgement exists. I can't stand F2P models. All Tom Clancy titles have gone downhill.

It just sucks. I'm really hoping next gen brings some new multiplayer shooter IP's to the table, because we sure are in a dull time for the genre.

Get on PC and play CS:GO, Quake Live or Tribes Ascend.

I have W8 and Quake Live doesn't seem to like that for whatever reason, can never get past the main menu. CS:GO is more of an addition to CS, I'm just tired of that game tbh. Been playing it for years. I would like something new added but still keeping it's original formula. Valve seems to be scared of taking risk for that series.

Does Kevin Franklin still pull one out every morning to Bootie's avatar (because who doesn't, amirite?), and as a potentially related follow up: what's his favorite hair product?

I think Halo 4 is a better game with Reach, especially with Throwdown and Majestic, but trust me, if there was another great multiplayer shooter out right now, I would be playing that. It really is a horrible time for shooters. There's no game I want to dedicate myself too like I did with Quake III, CS, BF 1942/2, Halo 2/3, CoD2, and GoW. I find BF 3 to be the Reach equivalent to the series. CoD is CoD. Crysis and MoH are CoD wannabes. I still don't know why Judgement exists. I can't stand F2P models. All Tom Clancy titles have gone downhill.

It just sucks. I'm really hoping next gen brings some new multiplayer shooter IP's to the table, because we sure are in a dull time for the genre.
Get on PC and play CS:GO, Quake Live or Tribes Ascend.

xbLIVEsp0NGeB1n asks:

Halo Reach was the best Halo yet and the cloak button (editors note: the active camoflage armour ability) was really cool it was my favourite. It compliments my stelthy style of play and I love outsmarting someone who doesn't know I'm there, tee hee, it makes me feel like solid snake or a cool super hero. Anywhey my question is: can you tell us some of the memorable moments from the development of Halo 4, the best Halo yet, that had to do with the cloak button? Those shoulder to shoulder LAN moments when otto the coffee fetcher got a headshot with the binary rifle while invisible? Did everybody roar 'OHHHHHH' with grudging, wry smiles when stevie from marketing got a triple kill with the sword from crouching in a corner cloaked? Please tell us some of your awesome cloak stories from when you made it!!!!!!!!!!!!

Computer

xbLIVEsp0NGeB1n asks:

Halo Reach was the best Halo yet and the cloak button (editors note: the active camoflage armour ability) was really cool it was my favourite. It compliments my stelthy style of play and I love outsmarting someone who doesn't know I'm there, tee hee, it makes me feel like solid snake or a cool super hero. Anywhey my question is: can you tell us some of the memorable moments from the development of Halo 4, the best Halo yet, that had to do with the cloak button? Those shoulder to shoulder LAN moments when otto the coffee fetcher got a headshot with the binary rifle while invisible? Did everybody roar 'OHHHHHH' with grudging, wry smiles when stevie from marketing got a triple kill with the sword from crouching in a corner cloaked? Please tell us some of your awesome cloak stories from when you made it!!!!!!!!!!!!

Can't tell if serious.

Akai__

Not directed to Deadly Cyclone only, but could you guys please stop to tell us, that we should play an other game, if we are not pleased with Halo 4?

Everyone here, had probably a great time playing his/her favourite Halo game and I'm pretty sure, that some want to return to it, if this would be possible.

Not directed to Deadly Cyclone only, but could you guys please stop to tell us, that we should play an other game, if we are not pleased with Halo 4?

Everyone here, had probably a great time playing his/her favourite Halo game and I'm pretty sure, that some want to return to it, if this would be possible.

So play Halo 1/2/3/ODST ;)

Or are you telling me Halo 4 is your favourite?

At some point you're just plugging your ears and ignoring the world around you. Halo's probably not going to go back to what you thought was great about it, so it's time to move on. Don't be that guy who gets dumped and never lets go of it.

JHall

I don't feel it's right to blame the faults of Halo 4 on one man. The whole company seemed to be collectively behind all these atrocious design decisions.

Dude I posted the same query about this like 3-4 threads back around when HaloGAF went to Pax Prime lmao

Its the Visor's Color & Bumps that are different. Also, I could be wrong but the Halo 4 Helmets size seems a tad bit smaller proportioned in comparison to the Halo 3 & Reach Helmet Variants.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State

Completely understandable, but posting the same thing over and over again doesn't do any good. If you hate the game, why post on a daily basis that you hate the game? What good does that do? Eventually we all come to understand who likes the game and who doesn't. The conversation that exists between those parties is great, commenting on what needs fixed, discussing balance, etc. However, just saying how bad the game is doesn't help anyone and just gets repetitive. We know "you" (in general) don't like the game, either dig into the specifics or just stop playing.

Fuchsdh

Nostalgia is a powerful tool. Halo 3 was riddled with so many problems I don't see how people want it again.
It's also that people want to go back to the games they were playing when they were growing up. I don't see the big deal because those games haven't disappeared and I can play them when I want.

I don't feel it's right to blame the faults of Halo 4 on one man. The whole company seemed to be collectively behind all these atrocious design decisions.
Agreed. They should rise or fall as a company, and it's kind of unfair to heap any real animosity on one person's shoulders.

Playful jokes towards a figurehead are another matter.

IHaveIce

Banned
Completely understandable, but posting the same thing over and over again doesn't do any good. If you hate the game, why post on a daily basis that you hate the game? What good does that do? Eventually we all come to understand who likes the game and who doesn't. The conversation that exists between those parties is great, commenting on what needs fixed, discussing balance, etc. However, just saying how bad the game is doesn't help anyone and just gets repetitive. We know "you" (in general) don't like the game, either dig into the specifics or just stop playing.

Same for the other side ( the "go play another game" faction) but it was like this also in the Reach time.

There will be the opposing opinions and I think both should be able to say what they want.

And like Croatia said, it isn't possible for everyone to go back to play their favorite Halo game (due to population, lag etc) and there is no other other MP shooter that is remotely like the Halo games without these problems, the closest is probably Halo 4.

The reason why many keep rambling about Halo 4 but still play it, is because they know the game could be good.

But there are several posters here who also do nothing else as replying to these 'hateposts' with their " go play another game, stop playing it"

So everyone should move on how they like it.

Computer

I am sure there were people at 343 that did not agree with the way the game was going but chose not to voice their opinion against the masses in fear of ridicule or loosing their job. This is one of the question I have for Kevin. Was there any arguments amongst the team on what should and should not be in mutiplayer? Also who makes the final decision?

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Same for the other side ( the "go play another game" faction) but it was like this also in the Reach time.

There will be the opposing opinions and I think both should be able to say what they want.

And like Croatia said, it isn't possible for everyone to go back to play their favorite Halo game (due to population, lag etc) and there is no other other MP shooter that is remotely like the Halo games without these problems, the closest is probably Halo 4.

The reason why many keep rambling about Halo 4 but still play it, is because they know the game could be good.

But there are several posters here who also do nothing else as replying to these 'hateposts' with their " go play another game, stop playing it"

So everyone should move on how they like it.

My qualm was not with those who don't like the game but post details on how to improve it, more with those that don't like the game, just post "this game sucks," yet seemingly continue to play it anyways. Also with those in the "let's blame one person for everything" fan club.

No big deal, but it baffles me that some folks could hate the game SO much, yet keep it in their Xbox with so many other games out there to play.

outside of halo 2 you can still reasonably play all the games in fairly ideal conditions. ce is still as lan capable as ever, halo 3 has enough population to get a game going at any time, odst is odst, reach still rivals 4 in population

and maybe this could be the perfect opportunity to branch on to other things, find new interests, stop treading in the past

IHaveIce

Banned
My qualm was not with those who don't like the game but post details on how to improve it, more with those that don't like the game, just post "this game sucks," yet seemingly continue to play it anyways. Also with those in the "let's blame one person for everything" fan club.

No big deal, but it baffles me that some folks could hate the game SO much, yet keep it in their Xbox with so many other games out there to play.
I understand your point completely, just wanted also to support Croatia.
And I also think the Kevin franklin thing is just a hyperbole and nobody takes it completely serious to just blame him( at least I hope so)

outside of halo 2 you can still reasonably play all the games in fairly ideal conditions. ce is still as lan capable as ever, halo 3 has enough population to get a game going at any time, odst is odst, reach still rivals 4 in population

and maybe this could be the perfect opportunity to branch on to other things, find new interests, stop treading in the past
Pretty sure you never played Halo 3 right now as EU player then? :p The lag and connection problems are horrible.
Lan is not a replacement for online multiplayer. And I dislike Halo Reach more than Halo 4 (except MLG Reach)
ODST has no vs multiplayer

And I do play other games but why should I change my tastes if a franchise which delivered good games for 10 years now starts to completely drifts away and changes itself?
I do take all my hope in the new Microsoft studios to create a new shooter IP with great competive play so I don't have to hold on Halo, but right now there is nothing else.

And I do play other games but why should I change my tastes if a franchise which delivered good games for 10 years now starts to completely drifts away and changes itself?
I do take all my hope in the new Microsoft studios to create a new shooter IP with great competive play so I don't have to hold on Halo, but right now there is nothing else.
uhh because it completely drifted away and changed itself. it's no longer for you (or a lot of us for that matter). the quicker you can accept this the easier it is to get outta the rut. halo's not in some unique situation with this, series go south all the time, that just means it's time to stop giving it attention.

Top Bottom