• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT15| Beta-tested, GAF approved

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
I just want my favorite gamemode back :(

I honestly have always enjoyed big team. I think I got in the "dong on people only" mindset because I never played with whole teams. I always would go in by myself or with 1 or 2 others in every Halo game, so the rest of my team would always piss me off if I tried to play competitively, thus making me not care over time. Now it's a playlist I love to play because it's almost relaxing to not care about being competitive after a long day of close 4v4 battles in other lists.

Tawpgun

Didn't you only play that fake Halo 1 where people would only host Sniper/Pistol starts..?

I played Halo for PC, people hosted regular AR/Pistol games.

I honestly have always enjoyed big team. I think I got in the "dong on people only" mindset because I never played with whole teams. I always would go in by myself or with 1 or 2 others in every Halo game, so the rest of my team would always piss me off if I tried to play competitively, thus making me not care over time. Now it's a playlist I love to play because it's almost relaxing to not care about being competitive after a long day of close 4v4 battles in other lists.

I still had fun by myself or with 1 or 2 others. It just felt balanced and fun. It was fun to see the chaos but it was controlled chaos, not complete randomness. The vehicles were something to protect and control. Not death traps. A 2 man team could do a lot in BTB. A bigger team was even better.

It's just such an unbalanced clusterfuck of power weapons and DMRs now.

Reviews and hype don't do much for me anymore. It's pathetic how little time I spend gaming these days. I used to poke through games almost every night; so far this year I think I've played one game of Halo 4 and nothing else, so I just sort of follow my gut and pick up the few special releases that appeal to me.

I remember in the Halo 3 days I would play from around 8pm to 3 or 4 in the morning, then wake up at 7 to go to class. Those were the days.
The reason I asked is, if Bioshock underwhelmed you (combat? pacing?), do you think that'll be significantly better in Infinite?

As for work, life and gaming, I hear that.
Though I did hear coworkers talking about aerating their lawns with special puncture shoes and made me shudder at the thought of lawn maintenance (apartment living does not lend it to such things).

Trey

Silentium is the best entry in the Forerunner trilogy, and personally, in contention for my favorite Halo book of all time. We knew what must happen to the Forerunners, so at best Silentium could only give further context to the Didact's fall.

Well paced, decisive, and exquisitely written.

Madness

Not to get too personal kyle, but how much does a house with that large of a yard cost where you live?

Where I grew up, the city was turning from a suburban park-filled beauty, to an urban downtown-ish core. Small ranchers and two storeys, have turned into townhouses, condos and monstrous 4 story houses with illegal basement suites.

The price of a house there at the turn of the millennium was under 200k, now you'd be lucky to get a house half that size for less than 450k.

I'm forced to rent a shitty condo outside Vancouver.

Bioshock is great. Infinite looks good, stopped Bioshock 2 after like an hour, honestly I thought Bioshock wrapped up well and could only be harmed with a sequel.. Infinite looks good but I dont see why the name Bioshock needs to be attached.

So far games I've been let down by recently.
-Halo 4
-Sim City
Bioshock Infinite is the next game I'll be getting.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
343 would consider that a small yard. You know you can sprint and mow right?

dave-chappelle-mowing-the-lawn-o.gif

Kibbles

Isn't always online going to kill LAN parties? Some of the only times I play nowadays, then bursts in new playlists but there isn't any ranks or anything to shoot for

Tawpgun

Isn't always online going to kill LAN parties? Some of the only times I play nowadays, then bursts in new playlists but there isn't any ranks or anything to shoot for

Storm knocks out you're internet. You're fucked.
XBL goes down. You're fucked.
Your internet is wacky. You're fucked.
Microsoft makes an always online console. They're fucked.

And if your location, e.g. Student Union did/does block the necessary ports?
You're fucked.

heckfu

Banned
Kyle, I think it's pretty cool that you're brave enough to move into Jeffrey Dahmer's house. Middle of nowhere, plenty of room...

Bunch of lonely nerds who probably pirate and are hard to monetise per player as much.

Come on MS, show us your plans.

And if your location, e.g. Student Union did/does block the necessary ports?

You ask them to unblock them in this modern age. (We were online the last time. Alost had to resort to custom games over Live because of the hubs).

Shadders

Hang Em High was never a good map.

I'd have to agree, I don't know why it's seen as a fan favourite. The only part of the map that I like is the little window that overlooks most of the map. I like the trade-off of being harder to spot, but being totally vulnerable to headshots.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Nothing has confirmed always online yet, the most recent news is "always connected." Meaning when you "shut off" your new Xbox it stays on in sleep mode and stays connected.

I doubt they do always online (no offline game playing). We'll see though.

Ghazi

Nothing has confirmed always online yet, the most recent news is "always connected." Meaning when you "shut off" your new Xbox it stays on in sleep mode and stays connected.

Didn't it word for word say "Always Online, Always Connected"? That sounds like always online to me, I think I saw that in the VGLeaks thread on Gaming side.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Didn't it word for word say "Always Online, Always Connected"? That sounds like always online to me, I think I saw that in the VGLeaks thread on Gaming side.

"Always on, always connected" is what it said. Which is why it makes sense that it is talking about sleep mode. The Wii was "always on/connected" too I believe.

You ask them to unblock them in this modern age. (We were online the last time. Alost had to resort to custom games over Live because of the hubs).

A lot of Uni's have reasons to block the ports, all the same its fun as hell playing Fighting games/ Fifa or even Halo with just one xbox side by side.

There is no way to justify 'Always Online', even if net access is relatively easy there are still reasons why its not always possible.

Castle Map Pack - "Daybreak" Walkthrough Video - http://youtu.be/y5y5RfrZpjs
"The Castle map pack is all about great vehicle combat in Halo"

Vehicle combat in H4 is terrible though.
"Always on, always connected" is what it said. Which is why it makes sense that it is talking about sleep mode. The Wii was "always on/connected" too I believe.

Yeah, that's how I take that, and that's a good thing. Pretty much whenever I can avoid cold boots of hardware and software, I see that as a good thing.

Madness

A lot of Uni's have reasons to block the ports, all the same its fun as hell playing Fighting games/ Fifa or even Halo with just one xbox side by side.

There is no way to justify 'Always Online', even if net access is relatively easy there are still reasons why its not always possible.

But, and don't blame me, aren't the majority ALWAYS connected to Xbox Live? Meaning 90% or more of the time, your xbox is stationary and connected either through ethernet or wifi.

Now of course Internet goes down, power goes out, want to play in another room, take it to a cousin or friends house, would all be valid reasons why always online isn't needed. But wouldn't Microsoft just say, sorry, those are hypothetical situations etc.

No I'm not one the side of the money hungry corporation, but seeing the Simcity, Diablo 3 and other fiascos, I'm starting to think they just don't care. That they'll take their chances. That even if all of HaloGAF refused to buy the console, there are still millions and millions of moms/dads and others who would buy the console without caring?

I mean I think aside from a few days of moving, my ISP being down, and when I had to get new ones, my Xbox has been connected to the Internet since launch in 2005. I don't know whether always online would turn me off, as much as say no used games or forced kinect bullshit.

Did you time? Was it 2v2?

If no for either, then yeah, the map sucks.

2v2. Both teammates stand on Camo as it spawns so both can get it. Shoot the AR, press XXY to backpack reload it, then quickly change weapons to activate Camo faster. Jump on top of the block to get the Rocket from underneath. If needed, 'nade the top OS to fall down. Halo.

So much meta. Fingers always moving. Brain always active.

Shadders

I'd be surprised to see them go always-online, they'd have to offer some pretty exciting reasons as to why I'd want my console to do that.

So I got my disc drive working temporarily. I also found out what was scratching my discs. A piece of plastic flash got pulled vertically and was just cutting into discs. I removed it. Thanks to Fyrewulff's advice, I cleaned the spindle magnets and am now leaving a blank disc in it. I'm finally ready to play Halo Wars. Tried Halo 4 and it'll have to wait until I can get it replaced (looking like the end of the school year though because HotS).

Hit me up if you wanna run some Wars, im usually on that game

Eh, I think it's real dangerous. A lot of people live in areas with shaky internet.
Imagine a kid on Christmas morning who can't play his games because the network is overloaded (Oh hi almost every online launch) or the local exchange went down.

Nevermind the huge huge amount of people without broadband.

Hmm, I have an idea for a revised Spartan Ops distribution system.

-Week 1 (Prologue) begins with a relatively small, but open vista that marks the beginning of a hub world. In terms of scale, think maybe Paradiso or Sandtrap. Keep in mind that it only has a few small vehicles, strewn about weapons, etc. If it's on a Shield World, it could use a L4D Director system that just throws some basic waves of Sentinels or Engineers at you, whom killing is optional. Alternatively, you could pull a Minecraft and have the hub have a "peaceful" period and every 30 minutes or so there'd be a wave of patrolling Sentinels.

Combat takes a back seat to exploration, with the Hub having things like Skulls, Terminals, Audio Logs, etc. hidden around.

In addition to this, 4 missions are available, sort of like ODST meets Borderlands. They're bite-sized campaign missions, initiated through plot trinket-induced flashbacks just like ODST.

Week 2 expands this hub world and increases the weapons and vehicles available to the player and adds 4 more missions, either continuing the stories of the past week or introducing new arcs (following a consistent set of characters).

This increases exponentially in terms of enemies, firepower, and whatnot until week 10. Week 10's hub is about the size of two Forge Worlds and features plentiful Banshees, Scorpions, etc. and the hub is now teeming with enemy patrols. Maybe even air traffic, Phantoms, a distant Carrier...

Beating the 4 missions of Week 10 essentially "unites" everyone and unlocks either a bonus chapter or Episode that features the entire squad back together fighting their way through the wartorn hub.

Note that hubs 1-10 would have certain "lost forever" elements like an RPG, but on a smaller scale; a Terminal active in Hub 2 may not show up in Hub 6, for example. However, all your material "carries over" to the following hub depending on personal progress, with skulls or data pads ultimately stored in a trophy room, database, or even option menu in the main game.

I might hop on Halo Wars again soon if anyone is interested. I am still trying to get used to this game. My builds are all over the shop and lack a real focus. I also tend to spend too much of the early game advancing my supply pads which often causes me to be without any units and whatnot. It would be a benefit in a longer lasting game but I think if anyone were to rush I'd be screwed.

I wonder how much room there is for micro strats and stuff like that. I had a good laugh earlier leading and AI opponents Arbiter around as I sent my warthogs just out of his range.

Any tips for a guy like me?

So there are people playing halo wars? can I join in it maybe?

It could be a nightmare for me, there are lots of ups and downs of energy flows where I live.

Top Bottom