• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT15| Beta-tested, GAF approved

I know Frankie left because this place is pretty negative but shit like this SHOWS that something is wrong, they just released a free (awesome) map but it didn't do anything to even budge the player base up
Wait, Frankie left?

KtLd7wZ.png

as of 2:30 EST
So accessible, and yet hardly anyone wants to access it?! But-- I was told--

Halo was my go to multiplayer game.
Mine too. I don't have one now. Probably for the best.

FyreWulff

I think Halo 3 still tries to tell you there's 15,000 or so people playing Team Slayer when you press X to view it's population/rank distribution.

Then you search and it says "300 people in playlist"

Tunavi

Banned
Halo 5 needs to be amazing to beat COD and BF. What 343 needs to do is listen to the community and shape a game around that. I think the most important thing they need to do is implement in-depth gametype editing (or even release Megalo) and an amazing Forge (or add in an actual map maker). After doing that, they need to get competitive players like Bravo to help them make the best default competitive gametypes and maps possible, along with a large sandbox full of unique and varied weapons, and AAs and Equipment for more casual gametypes and mini-games. You don't need to implement features from other games to attract new players, especially if they fit well with your game. Make it unique, and people will come.
Why do we need to compare Halo to COD and BF anyway? Just make a good unique game and people will buy it.

This is why the franchise is in this situation anyway. 343 sold out, tried to take on COD, and didn't even get 60 FPS.

TheOddOne

I won't. I don't see myself ever buying a 343 Halo on day one again.
Still buying it :p

I won't. I'm not big on campaign like a bunch of people here. Halo was my go to multiplayer game. I just didn't play anything else because I could pick up Halo when I wouldn't play for weeks and still manage to do well. Halo was a simple game, not easy but simple. This talk of steep curves is fucking stupid. They made it a more complicated game of paper, rock, scissors. If I wanted that I'd play anything else.

Sigh.
Depends though. Either they keep going the route with MP as now or they totally revamp it. Still going to give it a go, if the MP stays the same I'm just not going to invest in it. Halo 6 is where I might just give up. Sign, that I'm saying that now is kind of depressing.

Yeah, he said there was too much negativity here, and people get away with stuff that would otherwise lead to a ban if it weren't in HaloGAF.

What's there to be content about? The reasons many of HaloGAF played Halo were essentially removed.

Depends though. Either they keep going the route with MP as now or they totally revamp it. Still going to give it a go, if the MP stays the same I'm just not going to invest in it. Halo 6 is where I might just give up. Sign, that I'm saying that now is kind of depressing.

I don't see a revamp happening unless they really commit to understanding why people like myself enjoyed Halo above all other games. If anything HaloGAF can finally say "we told you so" and it feels awful. No one wanted it to reach this point I'm sure.

Fracas

#fuckonami
I have no desire to play another 343 Halo game. Campaign was okay I guess, but hardly worth the price of admission. Multiplayer's pretty much dead to me at this point too. The only thing that would have warranted a purchase would be HaloGAFfers to play it with, but most here don't even play 4 anymore.

Unless Halo 5 expresses a total reversal in game direction, I'm not buying it at launch, probably not at all. A rental maybe, but not a purchase.

Tunavi

Banned
Well, he's right. There is a lot of negativity. And I am sorry about that.

But there's good reason for it, however it's expressed.
Gotta blame someone for Halo 4, and Frankie seems to be the man in charge. Responsibility has got to fall on someone. Frankie's a good guy though, but it probably sounds personal when we hate on the franchise direction.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Maybe, maybe not. I'm going to wait on fanHaloGAF reactions before buying it. If it seems like 343 ditched their vision for Halo 4 and brought the series back to its roots, then I'll seriously consider it. But overall, the Halo name doesn't equal a guaranteed purchase for me anymore.

Dongs Macabre

aka Daedalos42
Why do we need to compare Halo to COD and BF anyway? Just make a good unique game and people will buy it.

This is why the franchise is in this situation anyway. 343 sold out, tried to take on COD, and didn't even get 60 FPS.

Yeah, 343 needs to change the direction they're taking Halo. IMO, having in-depth gametype customisation and a better Forge/map maker is the way to go. Reach was awesome in that you could do tons of stuff in customs.

TheOddOne

Well, he's right. There is a lot of negativity. And I am sorry about that.

But there's good reason for it, however it's expressed.
I think even with that, some people just crossed the line in threatening people who work at 343. Just borderline just wrong comments that serve no purpose in an actual discussion. The drive-by mentality can also sometimes become more than annoying (it is still fun to poke at the mistakes though, but not when it becomes an everyday thing), which drown out the more reasonable discussions.

At certain times, people just need to move on with it. We’ve heard the joke, now let’s not beat it to death.

I don't see a revamp happening unless they really commit to understanding why people like myself enjoyed Halo above all other games. If anything HaloGAF can finally say "we told you so" and it feels awful. No one wanted it to reach this point I'm sure.
At this point, I should really not put any faith into future games but I guess I just want to believe. Keeping expectations in check though, still it’s fun to dream.

Maybe, maybe not. I'm going to wait on fanHaloGAF reactions before buying it. If it seems like 343 ditched their vision for Halo 4 and brought the series back to its roots, then I'll seriously consider it. But overall, the Halo name doesn't equal a guaranteed purchase for me anymore.
Completely reasonable.

wwm0nkey

Yeah, 343 needs to change the direction they're taking Halo. IMO, having in-depth gametype customisation and a better Forge/map maker is the way to go. Reach was awesome in that you could do tons of stuff in customs.

Also go back to the core gameplay of Halo and get rid of the clutter.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
In a more positive light, I recently got back together with some old teammates of mine for some Throwdown last night. We all had a whole lot of fun and I think they're going to be getting back on Halo more often. (One plays a lot of CoD these days and the other is just really busy with other shit)

Dongs Macabre

aka Daedalos42
Also go back to the core gameplay of Halo and get rid of the clutter.

Well, I think they should keep everything, even if only for customs or casual playlsits. IMO, anything that could be done in past Halo games should be possible in Halo 5, as long as competitive matchmaking is done right.

DeadNames

Banned
I still think 343 has a chance to redeem themselves. If they can make Halo 5 go back to what made Halo 1-3 so great, they can earn back the fans' trust. A stellar campaign, firefight, forge AND a map MAKER, and Spartan Ops+ in conjunction with a good MP can probably win back a lot of people.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
At this point, I should really not put any faith into future games but I guess I just want to believe. Keeping expectations in check though, still it’s fun to dream.
Destiny is where I've transfered all my blind faith and rabid fanboy hype, heh.

Call of Duty is still Call of Duty and Battlefield is still Battlefield.....now Halo is a bit blurry at the moment.

I would argue that both battlefield and Halo were much more unique before. Now they both try to capture CoDs audience. I have nothing against CoD, it's just sad that developers don't have the balls to allow their games to stand on the legs that got them to where they were.

The extraction playlist needs to be pulled and folded into objective come monday. Nearly everytime I sign in it's the lowest populated list.

Has anyone seen the majestic maps in throwdown yet? They pop up in dubs a fair bit but I've yet to see them in TT.

I hope they don't pull the majestic team DLC list when Castle releases. You'll probably never see them again in 4v4 if they do.

wwm0nkey

I would argue that both battlefield and Halo were much more unique before. Now they both try to capture CoDs audience. I have nothing against CoD, it's just sad that developers don't have the balls to allow their games to stand on the legs that got them to where they were.

I would not say that about Battlefield at all. I know I am playing something other than CoD when I play it.

IHaveIce

Banned
The extraction playlist needs to be pulled and folded into objective come monday. Nearly everytime I sign in it's the lowest populated list.

Has anyone seen the majestic maps in throwdown yet? They pop up in dubs a fair bit but I've yet to see them in TT.

I hope they don't pull the majestic team DLC list when Castle releases. You'll probably never see them again in 4v4 if they do.

I get them pretty often in infninity, but not in throwdown.

What happened to Simplex spawns in V3? Often I'm spawned right next to an enemy.

I know how to fix the series.

Sakurai / Silicon Knights collab for Halo 5.

It's kind of depressing that 343 has us wrapped around their fingers until something better in mainstream comes along.

"They just needed more hardware fidelity, Halo 5 for the Xbox 1080 will be definitive Halo!"

"They just weren't familiar with the hardware and hadn't attained group cohesion, Halo 6 is going to be great!"

And when it turns out the Reclaimer Saga also has a variety of cash cow spinoffs veiled as additional lore:

"Halo 4 ODST is going to be great. I mean, Halo 3 ODST was wonderful! Davidge composing jazz will definitely work and the predictable, piss-poor AI will be great for Firefight!"

*HALO 4 ODST DOES NOT SUPPORT FIREFIGHT BECAUSE THE ENEMIES AREN'T GOOD ENOUGH TO WORK AS A STANDALONE GAME MODE OF CODING ISSUES*

Also, unrelated, but holy shit. I'm on break at work and definitely just saw Overly Attached Girlfriend walk by. She must be on vacation!

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I can't wait for Legendary Slayer. If they pull it off it could be this games Squad Slayer
What is Legendary Slayer? I've heard people reference it a few times, but I still don't know what it is.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
A new gametype 343 is releasing. It's supposed to be between Throwdown and Infinity Slayer in competitiveness.
Is there any more info out on it? Honestly, that sounds like it could lead to Halo Reach levels of redundancy and confusion.

Tawpgun

They're still making it and don't have the final settings for it probably.

I'm expecting radar, set loadouts, static weapon spawns, and AA's.

Basically, it's gonna be classic reach.

IHaveIce

Banned
They're still making it and don't have the final settings for it probably.

I'm expecting radar, set loadouts, static weapon spawns, and AA's.

Basically, it's gonna be classic reach.

Then they should call it just Team Slayer.. All these special names aren't very good IMO

Top Bottom