• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT16| Oh Bungie, Where Art Thou?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Caja 117

Even with the always online, I still will have a hard time into moving to PS4, I find it very Uncomfortable to play with the playstation controller.

But that feature that you cant play pre-owned game will end up been the difference in my decision.

Madness

PM me if you're game Eagle. I'm off to bed.

1) Pretty sure Manveer and he have at least a casual friendship/are aquaintences going by the tone of their tweets and Holmes's response
2) As pointed out by Ellis/Tashi/most people, he probably doesn't cover Halo, that there are other people who do.
3) People change
4) He's still clueless for tweeting those things in this climate

He doesn't cover Halo, but come on? Saying Fuck Halo and saying you can quote me publicly, it's a shit game, pays fans to be rabid about it, disrespects veterans and then working at Microsoft Studios as its Creative Director?

I get people change, but how does a guy get hired like that? If I say Apple and the iPhone are a piece of shit, won't it shine poorly on me if 5 years from now, I work at Apple?

But you're right, I'm probably giving it more credence than it needs. I just can't believe Microsoft. They're getting shit on left and right with rumors and theories about their nextbox. Sure when they announce it at E3 a lot of the pre-launch negativity goes away, but damn if I'm not almost entirely in the ps4 camp for next gen.

Aggrotek

PS+ seems really, really awesome too.

I'm no longer interested in paying a premium to enjoy games with my friends.

For real. It's not even worth it anymore when another company offers a comparable product for free. Microsoft is all about that money. If they upped the usage of silver to what Gold is now, and made more exclusive content for Gold members, I wouldn't be so salty about it.

should I rent tomb raider or bioshock I tonight?
Shit-tier question, glad to see you came to your senses with your choice.

Also, I'm a little surprised I haven't heard this comparison in this thread, considering it's for people that used to play Halo, but Infinite plays more like Halo than the first Bioshock in some respects. A lot of the encounter setups feel quite Haloish.
I might go PS4 if all this is true. Free online and Bungie's IP? I'm down.

As we're in rumor central mode, there have been rumors that non-paid PS Network for the PS4 will be scaled way back (such as Xbox Live without paying) and you might have to pay to play games online. Just a rumor at this point of course.

I'm not making any judgments on the consoles until plenty of official word is out, so many rumors, although some of the rumors about the new Xbox don't sound great if they come to be true.

Microsoft is really doing themselves no favors by revealing so late, they must have something big in the works.

Eh, kind of disagree. 99+% of people that will actually purchase the console are not scrounging the webs for rumors like GAF is, I'm of the belief that announcing a product a very long time prior to release doesn't really help a company for the majority that end of purchasing it, because they aren't paying much or any attention to it until the mass-marketing hits.

Someone earlier mentioned map packs with 'silly' or non canon themes. As long as the maps are good and the art is interested and not phoned in I would be for it. It could bring some fun variety to the visual side of things.

It's just surprising that aside from its obvious and not surprising power, there is not a single positive rumor about the next xbox

Not even the power is rumored to be positive.. most say its noticeably under performing when compared to the PS4.

=/

heckfu

Banned
I'll most likely get both consoles so I guess the whole console war is lost on me.

Realistically, if I had to pick one based on rumors and what we know so far I'd say PS4 but there are still a million unknowns about each so it's probably best for everyone to cool down and wait for official announcements.

edit: inb4 unknown see's his name

Aggrotek

As we're in rumor central mode, there have been rumors that non-paid PS Network for the PS4 will be scaled way back (such as Xbox Live without paying) and you might have to pay to play games online. Just a rumor at this point of course.

I'm not making any judgments on the consoles until plenty of official word is out, so many rumors, although some of the rumors about the new Xbox don't sound great if they come to be true.

Oh, I'm there with you. I just have no clue what they are thinking about this choice if it is true. I'm not on any bandwagon until I see some seriously solid information.

The attention and support competitive CoD is getting is great. Microsoft and 343 should be embarrassed on making their deal with Virgin. I bet even Virgin is confused on why they were picked to represent Halo.

matthieuC

Thanks for all of the comments on my map guys! I'll make sure to keep everyone updated with it, and I'll share some more screenshots tomorrow night.

I'll most likely get both consoles so I guess the whole console war is lost on me.

Realistically, if I had to pick one based on rumors and what we know so far I'd say PS4 but there are still a million unknowns about each so it's probably best for everyone to cool down and wait for official announcements.

edit: inb4 unknown see's his name

That doctor money.

How you doing buddy?

Tawpgun

Microsoft best bring it big. I really wanna stay on Xbox if I can. But if everyones gonna move PS4... well... I go to where friends go.

Booshka

Except console exclusives ololol

My friend got super pissed when I told him Destiny was consoles only.

That is really fucking dumb that Destiny wont be on PC.

Outside of that, I dont really care about any next gen exclusives as of now. Opinions can change, but PC has better exclusives if you think about it.

Madness

Just wanted some clarification from Frankie regarding Forge Island. I know I worded it poorly and Hydra couldn't understand what I was trying to get across. I made the mistake of making it seem like it was something that wasn't necessarily wanted by corporate, which may have been true, but they ultimately allowed it, which did it turn mean they wanted it. Here's what Frankie said:

"Forge Island was hand-built by Vic Deleon, greenlit by 343 and worked through a fairly complicated system as a freebie, which is difficult to do for a bunch of reasons (fairness to third parties for one). It was designed to give players a number of simpler, dead flat spaces to build and create on (by popular demand). One of the reasons it was released early was to fit into criteria that would allow it to be free, and a lot of people worked really long hours to make that possible. They don't get overtime, it costs a ton of money, effort and energy to make and test something like that (as Fyrewulff can attest) and it's one small aspect of our commitment to sustain, and to the community".

I know some people will say it's pointless, but to those who still play the game, it was great to get.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Found a couple little glitches or tricks today. Whatever you wanna call them.

If you pick up a gun and throw grenade at the right time, the grenade shoots out with no animation. I always do this glitch with weapon switches but not with weapon pick ups.

Also, if you're extracting a point and melee, it allows you to crawl a little. It could help you nudge into better cover if you're being shot. You can actually walk kinda far.

Madness

That is really fucking dumb that Destiny wont be on PC.

Outside of that, I dont really care about any next gen exclusives as of now. Opinions can change, but PC has better exclusives if you think about it.

I don't think Rockstar has said if GTA V will be on PC or not. It'd be a big blow not to get it on PC. And since they never brought Red Dead Redemption over either, I don't think they'll bring GTA V either.

Booshka

I don't think Rockstar has said if GTA V will be on PC or not. It'd be a big blow not to get it on PC. And since they never brought Red Dead Redemption over either, I don't think they'll bring GTA V either.

GTA V is current gen though, so I'm good.

I was pretty disappointed with Destiny not being on PC as well, super missed opportunity. I'd rather get it on PC once than get it first on a current gen console and then the next gen port to keep playing.

Every single main GTA game was released on PC, as well as every major Rockstar release barring RDR. I wouldn't put much stock in the exception.

Also, if you're extracting a point and melee, it allows you to crawl a little. It could help you nudge into better cover if you're being shot.
Today in Extraction I went to melee a dude who was converting the site and he meleed me while the little objective tool was in his hand and it killed me in 1 melee.
I am not sure if it is a glitch, or if can be replicated, but it could be a useful tactic to know about.

Tashi

Today in Extraction I went to melee a dude who was converting the site and he meleed me while the little objective tool was in his hand and it killed me in 1 melee.
I am not sure if it is a glitch, or if can be replicated, but it could be a useful tactic to know about.

It's not a glitch. It's just how it works.

I also just had a bonker string of kills. I'm going to upload it in a little.

Omni

As much as I'd be tempted to move to the PS4 next-gen, I could never bring myself to do it. I've made quite a few friends over Live who I play with on the Xbox every now and again, and I'd rather not start fresh. And the Playstation controllers suck.

I think overreacting to this whole thing is just silly though. Gaming side gives me a headache because of it.

As much as I'd be tempted to move to the PS4 next-gen, I could never bring myself to do it. I've made quite a few friends over Live who I play with on the Xbox every now and again, and I'd rather not start fresh. And the Playstation controllers suck.

I think overreacting to this whole thing is just silly though. Gaming side gives me a headache because of it.

I will never ever understand this for as long as I live. Are you guys holding it wrong or something? I've also got massive hands, so I don't get the too small line of thinking either.

heckfu

Banned
I will never ever understand this for as long as I live. Are you guys holding it wrong or something? I've also got massive hands, so I don't get the too small line of thinking either.

It's the convex sticks and the non-offset positioning. Xbox controllers have ALWAYS felt better for me, even the duke.

Madness

It's the convex sticks and the non-offset positioning. Xbox controllers have ALWAYS felt better for me, even the duke.

Ever since the psx, I've hated the Sony controllers. I played the hell out of games on ps1,ps2,ps3 but I've never enjoyed the controller.

It's why I was so happy they were redesigning it, but it's still like 80% the same. I loved the gamecube controller, even the Duke on the original xbox, but now that I've used a 360 controller, I can't imagine anything else being better. Heck even Nintendo saw what a great design it is and made the Wii U pro controller similar.

orznge

Banned
I was pretty disappointed with Destiny not being on PC as well, super missed opportunity. I'd rather get it on PC once than get it first on a current gen console and then the next gen port to keep playing.

Every single main GTA game was released on PC, as well as every major Rockstar release barring RDR. I wouldn't put much stock in the exception.

yeah it's incredibly disappointing

maybe we'll get a port of Destiny 1 when Destiny 5 is out though

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
Eh, kind of disagree. 99+% of people that will actually purchase the console are not scrounging the webs for rumors like GAF is, I'm of the belief that announcing a product a very long time prior to release doesn't really help a company for the majority that end of purchasing it, because they aren't paying much or any attention to it until the mass-marketing hits.

Yeah. I'm pretty sure the 360 was first revealed via MTV in May then fully shown off the next month at E3 so I'm guessing a similar situation is going on here.

HURRY UP MS!!!!!

I find convex sticks easier to rest my thumb on, with the 360s I find myself nudging it from the outer ring. If you prefer asymmetrical stick layout, does using the right stick still bother you? I've always found the symmetrical lower sticks more comfortable because I don't need my thumb hugging closer to the rest of my hand.

I mean the DualShocks have had their problems, they always feel a little cheap in the hands; but I think Nintendo nailed it with the Classic Controller Pro, which also didn't go with asymmetry or concave sticks.

Ramirez

Yeah. I'm pretty sure the 360 was first revealed via MTV in May then fully shown off the next month at E3 so I'm guessing a similar situation is going on here.

HURRY UP MS!!!!!

Omlet is ready.

ZMJCspS.gif

Realistically, if I had to pick one based on rumors and what we know so far I'd say PS4 but there are still a million UNKNOWNS about each so it's probably best for everyone to cool down and wait for official announcements.

edit: inb4 UNKNOWN see's his name

I was literally just scrolling down this page quickly and my eyes frikkin LOCKED onto this... I have issues.

And yeah, definitely can't miss out on games for either console so I think I'll be getting both as well. A Banjo Threeie set in the art style of Nuts & Bolts with that illumiroom concept could potentially be mind blowing.

yeah it's incredibly disappointing

maybe we'll get a port of Destiny 1 when Destiny 5 is out though

lmfao

TheOddOne

FYI the Microsoft guy trolling everybody on the Gaming Side is this guy:
Here's a conversation on IM between myself and Adam Orth, designer at Sony who worked with me on TM:Black, Calling All Cars. He also worked on some of the Medal of Honor games over at EALA. Enjoy!

And Halo fans...my flame suit is on, so do your worst! Just read the whole f***ing thing

David Jaffe
++++++++++++++++

AIM IM with adamorth.
11:47 AM

Adam: give me a f***ing break:
http://kotaku.com/gaming/tease/the-t...?autoplay=true

Jaffe: It's a decent add I think. I just don't get HALO. I don't think the story is all that special, don't think the world or characters matter much. I don't know if I am simply not 'getting it' and it really is all that...or Microsoft has simply purchased rabid fan reactions for what is a great game but nothing more.

Adam: that ad is insulting
"belive"?
come on

Jaffe: Am I missing something?
What's insulting about it?

Adam: well, for 1, i think it's disrespectcful to actual veterans of real wars and 2, they really expect people to become that invested in the halo story? i guess i just really dislike halo and that ad aint helping

Jaffe: well that's what I mean about buying the hype. I don't dislike Halo at all and really liked parts of Halo 2 alot...I am in minority who felt single player halo 2 was better than halo 1 single player. I mean, I hear people talk about the flood and sh** and I'm like: what? Who gives a sh**.

Adam: halo = meh

Jaffe: As for disrespect, come on...like Medal of Honor has not been doing he same for a long time. They talk about how important the games are and they are so earnest about it but come on, they are shooters. If they really cared about doing it right, they would give the MOH teams 3 years schedules and make Bioshock meets MOH...in terms of story and character and production value. And they would make THAT the game Spielberg was directing for them.

Adam: respectfully, i'll totally dosagree with you there. MOH games take alot of care to not be disrespectful it's one of the things they do right

JaFFE: While I LOVED MOH:Underground (top 10 games of all time for me) and dug the first one on PS2, emotionally, the most moved I ever was by MOH was with the music and seeing it played likve over a montage of soldiers at Video Games Live.

Adam: well, i guess i have a different insight than you do having sat with veterans and taklked about their experience and how it relates to the games...

Jaffe: It's not an issue of disrespect to the troops. It's an issue of them riding on the sentimentality of people when they talk about how much they care and understand the sacrifice of the soldiers and then put out a sub par shooter that has nothing to do in the play mechanics or design with the sacrifice the soldiers went thru. It's all window dressing that shows either the team doesn't understand how to apply the history 'under the hood' and apply it to the play itself OR it shows that EA does not care about the message at all, and it's all a way to market the game./

ADAM: i agree that most of the finished products veer off from the original intent. it's big problem at EA for MOH

JAFFE: They can cram all the sappy music and interviews with vets on the disc they want...but the game, the product they are actually selling, does not make me feel any closer to the vets sacrifice than any other shooter.
Hey- can I post this discussion on my blog if I don't put your name>?

ADAM: you can post my name...

JAFFE: sweet- sadly it will rile up halo fans...hope they see that I DO LIKE HALO! I just don't get the religious fervor and feel much of the fervor has been purchased by Microsoft. But they'll still hate me

ADAM: f*** halo

JAFFE: well they don't have your name! You can say that! Anyway- ok, gotta go! See ya! And please, for the love of God: LEAVE BRITNEY ALONE!!!!!

ADAM: actaully, i stand by what i said, you can print my name, just leave out "f*** halo"

JAFFE: sh*t really? Ok.

ADAM: ok, print it
f*** it

JAFFE: cool, you got it.

++++++++++++++++

So there you go...well hey, I thought it was fun!

David

What Heckfu said, also they are WAY too light (as someone that hates wired 360 controllers simply because of how light they are, and PS controllers are lighter I believe) and the triggers are terrible.

I think I have pretty average size hands for someone my size (6'1" though, so I guess that probably makes them larger than average) and I find those controllers way too small. It's probable that it's a combination of size, stick placement, and trigger suckage, but my hands feel like they consume the controller instead of fitting naturally in my hands.

How much would Devin sell his modernised Duke for?

I play with a chatpad sometimes just for the added weight. Shame the grip on my left stick is wearing off. More than half of it gone so far.

Tashi

Man for some reason my capture card is having audio and video syncing issues. It's so fucking frustrating.

Man for some reason my capture card is having audio and video syncing issues. It's so fucking frustrating.

I had problems with mine today too. I wanted to use it for the first time in months, but it decided it wasn't going to work. It gave me some crap about it not being installed properly anymore. I looked everywhere and could not find the installation CD, so I gave up.

Tashi

I had problems with mine today too. I wanted to use it for the first time in months, but it decided it wasn't going to work. It gave me some crap about it not being installed properly anymore. I looked everywhere and could not find the installation CD, so I gave up.

Which card is it? There are probably drivers online.

Which card is it? There are probably drivers online.

Roxio. I've got the drivers and I tried to reinstall them, but the application is telling me the software isn't on my system. I'm able to boot up the menu, but it wont open the capturing windows or anything.

It's possible the program was deleted from the registry. It's still in my program's list and I can still load it up. I guess I'll try and look for the CD again tomorrow, but it's one of those cases where I don't even know where to look.

Tashi

Roxio. I've got the drivers and I tried to reinstall them, but the application is telling me the software isn't on my system. I'm able to boot up the menu, but it wont open the capturing windows or anything.

It's possible the program was deleted from the registry. It's still in my program's list and I can still load it up. I guess I'll try and look for the CD again tomorrow, but it's one of those cases where I don't even know where to look.

You've deleted the old drivers and have done a fresh reinstall?

Tashi

I'm seriously thinking about switching to pc and pc only if the xbox rumors are true. I'm gonna build a pc soon but I want to wait and see the next xbox reveal before I determine how much money I sink into it

Just do it, Halo 3 on Steam bruh

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom