• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT18| We're Back Baby!

Halo 4 HaloGAF montage?

Screw it I'm down. I'll go through your guys file shares and use as many good clips as I can find. First matter though is finding the music.

I shall begin my hunt for the greatest Dubstep song to ever grace this planet.

Hyped for a Pokemon game. What is this, 1999?

#TeamFennekin

#TeamFennekin
filepicker%2FlwJ01F4HSoiw7lqxen5a_denzel.gif

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I wish they would just take out 100% bloom and make everything super slayer. Bloom is so infuriating STILL.
Yeah, bloom is still awful. That's why I mostly stick to Anniversary Slayer.

Hyped for a Pokemon game. What is this, 1999?
I haven't been this excited for a Pokemon game since Gold / Silver in 2000. It's gonna be so weird playing a mainline Pokemon game in 3D.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
They need to have global settings regardless.

I think I could come up with something that would be unified and satisfy both camps.
No armor abilities, 110% movement speed, and 1% bloom to placate the vanilla masochists.

Omni

As for campaign/SPOPS/FF and features I give 343i a solid pass with a stern look for replayability.
What does this even mean?

Campaign is an extremely linear, on-rails experience. Obviously Halo has never been known for expansive sandboxes (of course there are several "big" levels, but they're still relatively linear), but Halo 4 took it a step further. The inclusion of QTEs, scripted events and on-rail vehicle sections has meant that once you've played the campaign once, you've experienced it all. Enemies act the same predictable way and spawn in the same locations (which somehow seems like a bigger problem than the other games). There's no variety in enemy classes either. It's just boring.

Spartan Ops is arguably the biggest failed premise I've seen in a Halo game. It's such a step back from Firefight... I don't even know what they were thinking. I'd be surprised if you could find anyone who goes out and plays any of the overly tedious, scripted episodes for reasons that don't include boosting. Like the campaign, once you've played an episode you literally have no reason to play through it again; it's just the same old crap. Hell, the first half of the season got to the point where you were hard pressed to find motivation to play "new" episodes because they were just recycled.

I don't know. Campaign started brilliantly, but they screwed it up pretty damn quickly. If you are happy playing the same mundane set pieces again and again, more power to you brother. All I know is that to me, the game has almost no replayability in terms of campaign / SO.

I thoroughly enjoyed the story, in game graphics, cut scenes, terminals and most of the characters, as I read the books and wider universe and it's a damned shame the terminals weren't done in time to be in game.
The story? Eh, anyone who read the books pretty much knew what was going to happen. The big twist half way through? We already read about that months before launch. And then on the other side you have people who had no idea what was going on because they hadn't read the books. There really wasn't a middle ground and I don't really see how someone could enjoy it.

Cortana dying was the only revelation from Halo 4 that was significant and genuinely unpredicted (within reason). Don't even get me started on the story of Spartan Ops...

It's not like Bungie were the holy grail and never missed on any front with every Halo they made, fairness and empathy seem to be Halo community devolutions over the years since CE/2. 343i have a far quicker sustain output rate and communication has ramped up to be equal with Bungie, which is top tier IMO.
I don't think anyone here is trying to argue that Bungie were the "holy grail and never got anything wrong". You saw this place during Reach, right?

FyreWulff

No armor abilities, 110% movement speed, and 1% bloom to placate the vanilla masochists.

I'd consolide the playlists in both 3 and Reach.

Make a cross game playlist in both called Team Pure. This name wouldn't drive away people from just it's label.

Halo 3 version: BR start, AR secondary, no equipment, no radar 110% speed on almost every map in the game. Chainhogs universally replace Gauss, Wraiths universally replace Scorpions, Banshees replaced by Passenger Hornet on applicable DLC in this playlist.

unranked (to get the most potential players)

Halo Reach version: DMR/Pistol start, no AAs, 110% speed, no radar. unranked. Zero bloom on everything.

Gametypes: Slayer, King of the Hill (sequenced hills), 1 Bomb Assault and 1 Flag with lame duck rounds Megalo scripted out of existence

Apply these universal settings to Reach, across the board

100% Bloom DMR/NR - returns the sandbox to sanity
Armor Lock massively nerfed - two bullets from a DMR should knock you out of AL. Make it more of a parry in the playlists it's in than a shield
Camo removed from playlists where it doesn't work.
Jetpack removed from all Objective gametypes

and...

Zero Bloom Magnum. Use the Anniversary weapon hooks to alter it's RoF so it doesn't dongblain the sandbox. The RoF should make it still worse than a shotgun at a shotgun range but be fairly competitive to a DMR, but not better than a DMR past 2x zoom. Actually, you can probably RoF lock it to the pace of a DMR being fired at perfect zero bloom pace and you essentially have a bloom DMR and a zero bloom-DMR-ish weapon that's actually balanced.

This way people have a proper DMR that doesn't set the sandbox on fire, and the DMR isn't glitched by crouching. The NR is no longer glitched. Every gametype gives you a magnum sidearm. This is your zero bloom weapon that you can mash the trigger as fast as you want, the RoF keeps it balanced, and literally BOTH SIDES GET WHAT THEY WANT within the current limits of the Reach TU, without pointless clone playlists or needing to label gametypes.

If I had my way, Reach would get one more TU where bloom is universally removed from the game but the NR and the DMR and Magnum are RoF locked to keep the sandbox intact.

dunno

just my opinion

edit: gametypes in Reach would become AR/Pistol or DMR/Pistol across the board. The magnum change would even be in Invasion. Team Pure would be a cross-Halo concept and would let people just play straight vanilla Halo gameplay without neccarily trying to imitate another Halo. Just pure gunplay and movement.

Barring custom solutions like this, Reach should be universally TU in any case now (minus Invasion).

This doesn't even make sense. How can a game cater to a wider audience, yet have less people playing than ever?
If anything, you're supporting the argument that Halo 4's multiplayer just wasn't a popular experience for most.

I play Halo 4 fairly often and agree that 343 made huge strides in the experience since launch.
I'm not sure if they'll straight up drop all the... depth... that they added to Halo 5. But I can imagine a scenario where it's isolated outside of the main competitive arena experience.

That part was referencing next gen Halo title.

What does this even mean?

Campaign is an extremely linear, on-rails experience. Obviously Halo has never been known for expansive sandboxes (of course there are several "big" levels, but they're still relatively linear), but Halo 4 took it a step further. The inclusion of QTEs, scripted events and on-rail vehicle sections has meant that once you've played the campaign once, you've experienced it all. Enemies act the same predictable way and spawn in the same locations (which somehow seems like a bigger problem than the other games). There's no variety in enemy classes either. It's just boring.

Spartan Ops is arguably the biggest failed premise I've seen in a Halo game. It's such a step back from Firefight... I don't even know what they were thinking. I'd be surprised if you could find anyone who goes out and plays any of the overly tedious, scripted episodes for reasons that don't include boosting. Like the campaign, once you've played an episode you literally have no reason to play through it again; it's just the same old crap. Hell, the first half of the season got to the point where you were hard pressed to find motivation to play "new" episodes because they were just recycled.

I don't know. Campaign started brilliantly, but they screwed it up pretty damn quickly. If you are happy playing the same mundane set pieces again and again, more power to you brother. All I know is that to me, the game has almost no replayability in terms of campaign / SO.

The story? Eh, anyone who read the books pretty much knew what was going to happen. The big twist half way through? We already read about that months before launch. And then on the other side you have people who had no idea what was going on because they hadn't read the books. There really wasn't a middle ground and I don't really see how someone could enjoy it.

Cortana dying was the only revelation from Halo 4 that was significant and genuinely unpredicted (within reason). Don't even get me started on the story of Spartan Ops...

I don't think anyone here is trying to argue that Bungie were the "holy grail and never got anything wrong". You saw this place during Reach, right?

1. Campaign is on rails due to limitations and that uncharted style. Same goes for AI.

2. Agreed on SPOPS, the best if Reach and ODST FF with customised players for in game cutscenes. This alleviates story issues for game vs CGI and keeps campaign with the awesome CGI.

3. The glitches in campaign halting completion of levels is annoying but I've been replaying on legendary and there is some great stuff in there e.g. Composer level. Obviously scoring and theatre causes a loss of replayability hence my stern look regarding that.

4. I enjoy the new lore universe wide more now than ever. SPOPS weekly story CGI wise was awesome overall, the librarian, Halsey, Janus Key, Jul, Roland, Lasky were all great. Books I've always wanted Nylund back but that's a lost cause now. No one predicted Janus Key or Halsey getting shot/captured etc.

Make a cross game playlist in both called Team Pure. This name wouldn't drive away people from just it's label.

SNIP

Barring custom solutions like this, Reach should be universally TU in any case now (minus Invasion).

Correct me if wrong but you're saying zero playlists with radar on? Personally I'd only play approx. 25% of my games as no radar. I enjoy radar and if all playlists were no radar how would newer or less organised teams fair? They get slaughtered and don't want to continue to play the game.

Other than that I agree with your post for say 50-75% of playlists or vote variants. The other say 25% would allow AA's and radar on etc but that base would be as you post.

belushy

Banned
Halo 4 HaloGAF montage?

Screw it I'm down. I'll go through your guys file shares and use as many good clips as I can find. First matter though is finding the music.

I shall begin my hunt for the greatest Dubstep song to ever grace this planet.

#TeamFennekin

Yeah, enjoy your ugly fox mage...

I'll take the Ninja Frog. :)

Omni

1. Campaign is on rails due to limitations and that uncharted style. Same goes for AI.

2. Agreed on SPOPS, the best if Reach and ODST FF with customised players for in game cutscenes. This alleviates story issues for game vs CGI and keeps campaign with the awesome CGI.

3. The glitches in campaign halting completion of levels is annoying but I've been replaying on legendary and there is some great stuff in there e.g. Composer level. Obviously scoring and theatre causes a loss of replayability hence my stern look regarding that.

4. I enjoy the new lore universe wide more now than ever. SPOPS weekly story CGI wise was awesome overall, the librarian, Halsey, Janus Key, Jul, Roland, Lasky were all great. Books I've always wanted Nylund back but that's a lost cause now. No one predicted Janus Key or Halsey getting shot/captured etc.
1) Campaign is on rails because 343i wanted it to be. It has nothing to do with limitations. We learnt this when we saw that presentation with the handicapped Spartan picture.

4) You really enjoy the new lore?

I was talking about the campaign with that point, but in regards to Spartan Ops... What a mess. What 343i has done to Halsey in the course of one game and two books is deplorable. No one predicted those things because they're perfect examples of screwing up a science fiction universe that was originally about humanity's struggle against an alien onslaught with needless politics and in-fighting that doesn't make a single lick of sense.

It's frustrating more than anything. I agree that Lasky is a decent addition to the universe, but really... There's not much else positive happening post-Halo 3.

#11 is quite disappointing but not really surprising given i come from a group of online friends brought together from playing Halo 2 and Halo 3 and not one of them has played Halo 4 in months.

The only way they'll bring it back is return to Halo 3 and build from that, other than hot potato i don't think anything good has come from the last two iterations.

If they took Halo 3's arsenal and gameplay, fixed the ropey connection, remade all the maps from Halo 3 and Halo 2 and released it as Halo 5 i'd be happy.

The only thing that stops us going back and playing Halo 3 is the ropey connection.

FyreWulff

Correct me if wrong but you're saying zero playlists with radar on? Personally I'd only play approx. 25% of my games as no radar. I enjoy radar and if all playlists were no radar how would newer or less organised teams fair? They get slaughtered and don't want to continue to play the game.

Other than that I agree with your post for say 50-75% of playlists or vote variants. The other say 25% would allow AA's and radar on etc but that base would be as you post.

Only for Team Pure, and mostly because Pure would replace the MLG playlist in both games, so they could be properly updated at a steady pace without being cockblocked for no reason. (MLG could be made into a permanently rotating DEXP playlist for 3, though)

Pure would also eventually be in Halo 4. In that case, no perks gets layered on top of no AAs.

Pure doesn't sound "scary" like Hardcore does and doesn't have the ball of problems naming something Classic brings.

TheOddOne

If Wahrer is confused then you have done the impossible.

Ha ha, I wouldn't read too much into the various team member transitions. Working at a game studio is surprisingly high stress and can be difficult, especially for those with families, in the long term. We spent the vast majority of the last several years working to build up the studio and ship Halo 4. We are in a bit of a quiet period compared to the last couple years and annual reviews and bonuses were completed in early September as they are every year. It's not that unusual for some folks to pick this time of year to step away and pursue other opportunities.

I will miss all of the people who have moved on, not just because they are my friends, but because you form a bond with people that you ship a game with. Especially those I shipped Halo 4 with. I like to refer to 343 as the "great experiment." We literally threw a couple hundred people into a building and said, "make the next halo game." Now, you can judge the results for yourselves (naturally there are things we would have done differently with the value of hindsight or more time) but I will always be proud that we were successful in releasing the game on time.

We learned a lot from Halo 4, and we have brought some incredibly talented and smart people into the studio this year. I certainly can't talk about current goings on in any kind of detail, but I am personally very excited about the future of our studio and the franchise that brought our studio together.
But I am still worried, David-kun.

Only for Team Pure, and mostly because Pure would replace the MLG playlist in both games, so they could be properly updated at a steady pace without being cockblocked for no reason. (MLG could be made into a permanently rotating DEXP playlist for 3, though)

Pure would also eventually be in Halo 4. In that case, no perks gets layered on top of no AAs.

Pure doesn't sound "scary" like Hardcore does and doesn't have the ball of problems naming something Classic brings.

Ah, my bad mate thanks for clarifying. Pure sounds good.

Gui_PT

Ha ha, I wouldn't read too much into the various team member transitions. Working at a game studio is surprisingly high stress and can be difficult, especially for those with families, in the long term. We spent the vast majority of the last several years working to build up the studio and ship Halo 4. We are in a bit of a quiet period compared to the last couple years and annual reviews and bonuses were completed in early September as they are every year. It's not that unusual for some folks to pick this time of year to step away and pursue other opportunities.

I will miss all of the people who have moved on, not just because they are my friends, but because you form a bond with people that you ship a game with. Especially those I shipped Halo 4 with. I like to refer to 343 as the "great experiment." We literally threw a couple hundred people into a building and said, "make the next halo game." Now, you can judge the results for yourselves (naturally there are things we would have done differently with the value of hindsight or more time) but I will always be proud that we were successful in releasing the game on time.

We learned a lot from Halo 4, and we have brought some incredibly talented and smart people into the studio this year. I certainly can't talk about current goings on in any kind of detail, but I am personally very excited about the future of our studio and the franchise that brought our studio together.

PLEASE START LISTENING TO US. HALO 5 CAN STILL BE GOOD.

Don't hire Juices though.

I have an education, I have previous work.

Every job I've had, every obstacle I've had, I've overcame.

You know nothing about me. So why not stop attacking me?

I've literally already posted what they need to do. If you've read any of my serious posts which I only bother doing like once a month anymore.

You just got here OK. I've been here for a much longer time, Listing and telling them what they need to do. OK so excuse me if after years of them not listening I forget to keep all my posts extremely full of thoughtful response. Them not listening has gotten me very discouraged and apathetic about the whole situation.

So now each time a new piece of relevant information (Like them being #11 on XBL charts) excuse me if I remind them who has the answers.

And if you don't think I have every fucking answer for them than you can fuck off, its not an opinion. I know what makes Halo great.

Who's attacking you? All i'm doing is criticizing your posting style, because as it is funny for the first couple times, it doesn't really fix anything or provide anything of substance or add anything valuable for the conversations. I'm only going off of what I've seen, so I'm sure that at some point you've said something really good and majestic in the past. But that being said, people like GH057ayame have put in hard work creating important things for the Halo community, but they still haven't gotten hired.

Its not a crime, but its straight up a lie.

This is not a personal opinion. Look:
Capture_zpsfc0237fa.png

Today it PEAKED at 15K, that means for the majority of the day and night it was UNDER that.

Its now #11 on XBL.

Its the Halo with the highest and sharpest decline of MP players.

Nobody is playing for a reason.

1. Campaign is short with low replayability.
2. Spec Ops the episodic content only got ONE season. The mode that replaced the infinitely replayable FF survival mode that fans love. See L4D and CoD Zombies, and even Gears has a mode now like that.
3. MP had no ranking system, and players could hit max rank in a month or less. Even if Halo 4's MP was good, which it isn't for a ton of reasons, why would they keep playing? Wheres the motivation?

So what else is there to do? Players can eat through that much content in a month. Why would they keep playing?

Playlist management like always for Halo has been spotty and slow. New game modes have come and gone and honestly nothing really stands out to me. I honestly wouldn't care for any of the new content to be in the next Halo.
See, this is what i'm talking about, good shit.

Madness

So Frankie is playing the Xbox One apparently, that is all.

How do you know? Did he post his thoughts somewhere? You'd think someone like him would have gotten one of the "dev" versions for free for personal use like months ago. I know he did just get a solid 80" LED television recently as well. Wonder what game he played first.

How do you know? Did he post his thoughts somewhere? You'd think someone like him would have gotten one of the "dev" versions for free for personal use like months ago. I know he did just get a solid 80" LED television recently as well. Wonder what game he played first.

Disney fairies.

IHaveIce

Banned
HaloGafCivilWar.gif
Hire Cyclone?

No. You would keep sprint.

inb4 so does 343

I actually find it quite amusing how as soon as a dev posts something many are again like "Don't worry we trust you to make Halo 5 amazing" .. I mean in the normal discussion I mostly see everyone agrees that the chances for a amazing Halo 5 are not that high. Well at least not for us Halo players who love the classic gameplay.

Of course I also find it tiring to read posts attacking the devs but fact is Halo 4 has serious problems and reading "We at 343 are happy that we could finish the game in time" is confusing, it is like a kid would say "I'm happy I wrote an answer to every question in the school test" and still would get an F.

I feel like Fracas, the thread is a mess most of the time and Halo also disappointed me and even worse there is no Arena shooter to fill the gap.

Well I'm actually a lot less on GAF in the last days but just had to vent.

Also the Destiny trailer didn't hype me one bit sadly :( It still just looks like it will be Borderlands with more serious graphics and story. GTA Online is also not what I expected and the more I read about the new Pokemon games the more I don't want them.

Right now really unhappy as a "gamer"

Madness

I feel the same way, but then I wonder, what exactly do I want out of games. Destiny gameplay footage has all but killed my hype. I love Bungie, perhaps my favorite dev, but I'm just not AS excited for the game as I should be.

I knew it wouldn't be Halo, I didn't expect them to leave Halo only to make a Halo clone. But I want to play Halo. I want to play an arena shooter, I don't really like ADS/Insta-kill melee and random gameplay. If people hated Reach a lot, why be so excited for Destiny?

As for Halo 5, I look at it this way. Halo 4 is a much better game now than launch. I dislike Halo 4. It's probably my least played game from campaign to multiplayer. I don't like the enemies, I don't like the levels, I don't like the music (the wailing), I don't like the armor, I don't like the menu UI, I don't like the perks/loadouts, I don't like sprint or flinch, I don't like Spartan Ops, I don't like the yellow tint filter, I don't like the washed out color scheme, I don't like the weapon sounds, I don't like the story one bit.

But 343 Industries has improved on the game drastically than the one we got at launch. If it comes to that "arena shooter" itch, I feel Halo 5 will scratch it more than any other. I too am not playing any shooter. But if I wanted to, I'd play Halo 4 over the others because it's the "closest" in a sense to what I like.

If we look at Halo 5, we get a massive performance increase when it comes to console, we've been promised 60 FPS gameplay and dedicated servers. There is a blank slate. Of course it's optimism. 343 couldn't change Halo 4 post launch, but they can adapt and change Halo 5 pre launch.

Except they both made shitty Halo games, and it could be argued that 343 was merely continuing the crap that Bungie started. Having a beta does not equal a good Halo game.

e-hi-five.

Eh, look if you dislike every Halo game except CE then maybe you really don't like Halo. Whichever Halo you do like prior to 4 was created by Bungie. I still maintain that Reach was had a little Destiny testing in there, not that it is an excuse. Either way, everyone knew what was wrong with Reach so it doesn't let 343 off the hook because someone else started the trend.

IHaveIce

Banned
I feel the same way, but then I wonder, what exactly do I want out of games. Destiny gameplay footage has all but killed my hype. I love Bungie, perhaps my favorite dev, but I'm just not AS excited for the game as I should be.

I knew it wouldn't be Halo, I didn't expect them to leave Halo only to make a Halo clone. But I want to play Halo. I want to play an arena shooter, I don't really like ADS/Insta-kill melee and random gameplay. If people hated Reach a lot, why be so excited for Destiny?

As for Halo 5, I look at it this way. Halo 4 is a much better game now than launch. I dislike Halo 4. It's probably my least played game from campaign to multiplayer. I don't like the enemies, I don't like the levels, I don't like the music (the wailing), I don't like the armor, I don't like the menu UI, I don't like the perks/loadouts, I don't like sprint or flinch, I don't like Spartan Ops, I don't like the yellow tint filter, I don't like the washed out color scheme, I don't like the weapon sounds, I don't like the story one bit.

But 343 Industries has improved on the game drastically than the one we got at launch. If it comes to filling that "arena shooter" niche, I feel Halo 5 will scratch it more than any other. I too am not playing any shooter. But if I wanted to, I'd play Halo 4 over the others because it's the "closest" in a sense to what I like.

If we look at Halo 5, we get a massive performance increase when it comes to console, we've been promised 60 FPS gameplay and dedicated servers. There is a blank slate. Of course it's optimism. 343 couldn't change Halo 4 post launch, but they can adapt and change Halo 5 pre launch.

Good post I agree, I also never expected Destiny to be a Halo clone, but after seeing stuff of it I actually think I secretly wanted it to be one.

And also the stuff about Halo is right, they improved the game in its multiplayer components, yes, though every update that did sound good had a big negative ( like legendary slayer with AR starts)
And yes Halo 4 is still probably the game that could fill the Arena shooter spot( except going back to Halo 3 etc).

But to your last part about Halo 5, yeah normally I would agree. I mean surely they would now do all the stuff right from the start on right? Well I thought the same after Reach.
I thought never could a Halo game do again so stupid mistakes like Reach, but it did and even worse some of Reach's problems were brought over( Jetpack)

Madness

Also, it's crap my account isn't Year 9 on Bungie.net, I only have a Year 6 for when I made a new gamertag for Halo 3. I tried to find my old account to login to, and even founds some old posts, but it had like user deleted for the name, so I think they purged the data. Hopefully, it doesn't make too much of a difference in Destiny.

100% Bloom Reach is the worst Halo ever made, even worse than 4.

Agreed, I'd rather play vanilla Halo 4 than vanilla Reach.

But that's like saying i'd rather eat a dog turd with sprinkles on it than just eat a dog turd. If you're going to eat a turd, you might as well make it fancy.

GhaleonEB

Although personally, the idea that you get employed and are loyal to a company for life is outdated. I actually enjoy being a mercenary more, because just as things are getting too stable boring you're on to something else.

Of course, this is also probably going to end up with Ghaleon beating me over the head with an inflatable bat later in life going "Y U NO SAV RETIR"

Y U NO....oh. Hi.

I'm an old fashioned guy, and am hoping to retire from the company I work at, which is where I started after college 10 years ago. Where I work finance rotates every 2-3 years into new roles, so I get to keep doing new things and learning. But that's probably the exception, not the rule. It's not realistic for most people to do that, either due to their own life events and goals, or because of their employer.

FyreWulff

Y U NO....oh. Hi.

I'm an old fashioned guy, and am hoping to retire from the company I work at, which is where I started after college 10 years ago. Where I work finance rotates every 2-3 years into new roles, so I get to keep doing new things and learning. But that's probably the exception, not the rule. It's not realistic for most people to do that, either due to their own life events and goals, or because of their employer.

I was discussing this with my friend tonight. I just realized I'm so mercenary, I started a company then left the company I started (it's still around today).

I'm not even loyal to my own company :lol

As an aside, can anyone explain to me why Elites weren't used for hardcore gametypes in Reach?

- They have the Halo 2/3 health system.

- They run at Spartan sprint speed naturally, and are actually animated for it, so no weird ice-skating feeling.

Was it ever considered, or since one person was in charge of the gametypes, it just never came up? Seems like they would have been a fairly solid method for getting Halo 2/3 style gameplay in Reach, if that's what the HC community was after.

Overdoziz

Banned
I was discussing this with my friend tonight. I just realized I'm so mercenary, I started a company then left the company I started (it's still around today).

I'm not even loyal to my own company :lol

As an aside, can anyone explain to me why Elites weren't used for hardcore gametypes in Reach?

- They have the Halo 2/3 health system.

- They run at Spartan sprint speed naturally, and are actually animated for it, so no weird ice-skating feeling.

Was it ever considered, or since one person was in charge of the gametypes, it just never came up? Seems like they would have been a fairly solid method for getting Halo 2/3 style gameplay in Reach, if that's what the HC community was after.
I can't remember, were you even able to force Elite characters in the game settings yourself?

FyreWulff

I can't remember, were you even able to force Elite characters in the game settings yourself?

Not via settings you can control from menus, you'd have to use the disc variant of Elite Slayer yourself to do it to start from if you wanted Elites forced.

But they were also able to get 343 to cook custom rigged gametypes for them, so they would have been able to get ZB Bleedthrough Elites if they wanted.

TCKaos

You weren't able to force it, but you were able to change the Spartan and Elite loadouts independent of each other.

You would have to make sure everyone was playing as an Elite with honor rules.

Duji

What would it take for you to be utterly disappointed with a new Halo game? What is your criteria for failure? That's what many of don't see.

If I had my way, Reach would get one more TU where bloom is universally removed from the game but the NR and the DMR and Magnum are RoF locked to keep the sandbox intact.

Are you TRYING to create the slowest first person shooter game of all time? The Reach DMR's ROF is 12 frames. Since the DMR is 5 shots, there are only 4 shot intervals/pauses (5-1). We then get a kill time of precisely 1.6 seconds (4*12 = 48 frames and 48f/30fps = 1.6s). The default bloom resets after 20 frames. If we ROF locked it at this we would get a WHOPPING minimum kill time of 2.67 seconds (4*20 = 80 frames and 80f/30fps= 2.67s). I'll take a DMR that can kill in 1.6 second with 100% bloom over a 2.67 second ZB DMR any day. It would be nearly impossible to connect 5 shots on someone without having them run away after the first or second shot. You would have to drastically reduce the movement speed and definitely get rid of sprint in order to make it work. Even then it would be a slow chore that even arthritic grandpas would get bored of.

I'll give you the benefit of the doubt here and say you probably don't know what you're asking for.

Didn't you get rank-locked and just said "Fuck it!"? Or was that Googs or someone else?

IIRC, I had heard too many horror stories of having to play ten-twenty games without a single loss games to go up a single digit, and getting to 50 just sounded to me like more trouble than it was worth. I was just way more casual back then, I guess. My Reach and 4 stats are significantly more impressive- just in time for no real ranking system, yay.

EDIT: So many page tops, why

Screw it, here's this thing I drew:
light_rifle_re_done__colored__by_prinzeugn-d5odv55.jpg

Obscured

Halo 3 version: BR start, AR secondary, no equipment, no radar 110% speed on almost every map in the game. Chainhogs universally replace Gauss, Wraiths universally replace Scorpions, Banshees replaced by Passenger Hornet on applicable DLC in this playlist.

unranked (to get the most potential players)

Halo Reach version: DMR/Pistol start, no AAs, 110% speed, no radar. unranked. Zero bloom on everything.

Gametypes: Slayer, King of the Hill (sequenced hills), 1 Bomb Assault and 1 Flag with lame duck rounds Megalo scripted out of existence

Apply these universal settings to Reach, across the board

100% Bloom DMR/NR - returns the sandbox to sanity
Armor Lock massively nerfed - two bullets from a DMR should knock you out of AL. Make it more of a parry in the playlists it's in than a shield
Camo removed from playlists where it doesn't work.
Jetpack removed from all Objective gametypes

and...

Zero Bloom Magnum. Use the Anniversary weapon hooks to alter it's RoF so it doesn't dongblain the sandbox. The RoF should make it still worse than a shotgun at a shotgun range but be fairly competitive to a DMR, but not better than a DMR past 2x zoom. Actually, you can probably RoF lock it to the pace of a DMR being fired at perfect zero bloom pace and you essentially have a bloom DMR and a zero bloom-DMR-ish weapon that's actually balanced.

This way people have a proper DMR that doesn't set the sandbox on fire, and the DMR isn't glitched by crouching. The NR is no longer glitched. Every gametype gives you a magnum sidearm. This is your zero bloom weapon that you can mash the trigger as fast as you want, the RoF keeps it balanced, and literally BOTH SIDES GET WHAT THEY WANT within the current limits of the Reach TU, without pointless clone playlists or needing to label gametypes.

dunno

just my opinion

edit: gametypes in Reach would become AR/Pistol or DMR/Pistol across the board. The magnum change would even be in Invasion. Team Pure would be a cross-Halo concept and would let people just play straight vanilla Halo gameplay without neccarily trying to imitate another Halo. Just pure gunplay and movement.

I would throw Reach back in for this, but even if something like this were to pass I fear you would still get people who have decided bloom must die in fires regardless of any change and even with the magnum option would be unable to get over the fact that bloom exists at all. Sounds like the kind of thing that if it were given a chance could work, but unfortunately is not the perspective many gamers (horrible overreaching assumption I know) seem to have.

To the point about negative vs positive posts, coming in as a newer poster, the biggest take-away I have is the extreme position of opinions and the accompanying rhetoric. Something can't just be a little better than one other option, One is the greatest ever and the other is the absolute epitome of garbage and there is no in-between. But this is true of the internet as a whole. This is why I think you see the 'hive-mind' comments pop up in reference to various things that come up. There are way too many opinions for that to be true, but there are elements of an echo chamber so something that seems well thought out and intelligent only comes across that way if you are already in that mindset. For me I read everything with a filter of 'okay, what is the core point you are trying to make' and go from there. In general I see things more positively, but it doesn't mean I don't see the problems or areas lacking and I'm very interested in why people think they way they do and where their priorities lie, even if they don't line up with mine.

Having said that, Armor lock can die in a fire, invisibility should not exist in any form ever anywhere, and there should never be any OHK weapons.

Top Bottom