• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT18| We're Back Baby!

gAg CruSh3r

Yea I'll test it tonight, you don't have to submit it until the 8th. I can probably get you the gameplay if you'd like to watch that and take feedback from that. That's probably the best I can do for you. This is a contest after all haha.

Gimme the Waypoint link when it's available and I'll throw it into the test rotation.

As for the name, just call it like Beta Test 001 for now. Who cares.

Here you go! http://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/games/halo4/filebrowser/details/df7be521-65db-4b25-a0db-9fb72b1e5dc4

I will put up a few screenshots or a video so people can check out the map.

Anyone want to boost halo 2 Vista achievements before the servers get shut down?

I'm on right now.

GT The Real Napsta

message or friend request me and I'll send an invite.

More like I didn't realize UNKNOWN* of all people had his head up his ass. Religiously hoping CE2 exists is one thing, but thinking all positivity am dumb is weird. Subjectivity and all that.

lmfao

Anyone want to boost halo 2 Vista achievements before the servers get shut down?

I'm on right now.

GT The Real Napsta

message or friend request me and I'll send an invite.

Unfortunately H2V runs like a slug in a cheetah race on my GODLY PC.. and apparently there's nothing I can do to fix it. Diss some sheet yo.

heckfu

Banned
Oh nice. Mason's a great player and really cool too.

Quit being so nice. Take a stand and apply to be a tester or something else - you have as much experience as some of the people out there. It sucks seeing someone so dedicated and who does so much ALREADY not get any credit or get paid.

Seriously.

(or let's be honest, juices does a lot, too)

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Quit being so nice. Take a stand and apply to be a tester or something else - you have as much experience as some of the people out there. It sucks seeing someone so dedicated and who does so much ALREADY not get any credit or get paid.

Seriously.

(or let's be honest, juices does a lot, too)

That's just my personality...anyway back to testing contest maps with Certain Affinity lol ;)

Maybe. Testers get bunk desks.

Pics plox

Ramirez

hj8pGE1.gif

:)

How much is E3 if you're not press? I keep hearing that it costs from $200-$500+, and that you just can't go if you're not press/in the industry.

I want to go and am seriously willing to spend $1000+ on it.

GrizzNKev

Banned
How much is E3 if you're not press? I keep hearing that it costs from $200-$500+, and that you just can't go if you're not press/in the industry.

It's about $900 just for entry.

I am going to say this once.

If you are not press, it is not worth it.

The only way to enjoy E3 is to go to the press conferences and parties, and jump from appointment to appointment. I can only imagine the pain of the people who spent hours waiting in lines to see the things I walked right in to play.

Tashi

Gag, we didn't get to your map tonight, I'll probably get to it tomorrow.

And props to the Certain Affinity guys for coming out and testing maps. Seriously cool dudes. Props to Bravo too for joining us.

lybertyboy

Thinks the Evil Empire is just misunderstood.
It's about $900 just for entry.

I am going to say this once.

If you are not press, it is not worth it.

The only way to enjoy E3 is to go to the press conferences and parties, and jump from appointment to appointment. I can only imagine the pain of the people who spent hours waiting in lines to see the things I walked right in to play.

Being former press and current dev is the best of both worlds. Lines, what are these lines you speak of?

FyreWulff

As said above, 900$. Free if you're media or a dev. I went as a dev, but all the other costs are quite a bit still.

If you've ever been to PAX, it's a PAX where people are generally more mature and doesn't smell. You have to be 17 (or 18?) and older to enter the show floor.

I waited in line like.. once, for Watch Dogs, and for five minutes. I did not waste my time with non-playable demos I could just watch on Youtube. I got right into the Destiny showing and met Marty, who proceeded to music nerd out with my roommate.

It's not that hard to get media badges. I might do that next time, because press got to play more games.

Tashi

Shout out to Bungie, Mastrbiggy and the rest of the DBO crew for making my first E3 possible this year. Seriously, it was an incredible trip. I met a ton of people, did a lot of cool shit, hung out with friends, made new friends...oh and then I won a new cell phone. I've been lucky.

GrizzNKev

Banned
Being former press and current dev is the best of both worlds. Lines, what are these lines you speak of?

There were some terrifying moments though. I was totally thrown off when my entire DOA5 interview was in Japanese with an actual, human translator. It was awesome, but I felt so unprepared for that.

gAg CruSh3r

Gag, we didn't get to your map tonight, I'll probably get to it tomorrow.

And props to the Certain Affinity guys for coming out and testing maps. Seriously cool dudes. Props to Bravo too for joining us.

Thanks! I just got done recording my stuff to show off my map but sad to say but I have a crappy quality recorder but it does the trick :)...

Tashi

I always heard E3 more enjoyable from home, but again I've never been.

There was so much for me to do there, I felt like it was a waste of time to sit on line waiting to play games. I especially don't want to take up the time of people who are there to work. (Press)

Omni

A beer, snacks and an internet connection is all I need to enjoy E3. Why bother spending money on something that's arguably better to experience at home for free?

Obviously that's different for press and whatnot, but generally.

My plasma tv isn't turning on. The standby light goes from red to yellow when I turn it on, but the screen doesn't light up. Or work.

Is it cooked? I think having to buy a new plasma would be the last nail in the coffin for my chances of going next-gen this year.

KraZeR

Neo Member
Okay, I don't know if Neighbor is going to read this thread, but if he does. Hell, someone tweet this to him or something.

Neighbor.

You may have a chance to significantly impact the balance of the next Halo game.

During your testing matches, you will have a better shot than most everyone you will be playing against during QA. It is absolutely VITAL to the future of this franchise that you play like you cannot aim better than everyone.

Hear me out.

I realize that you can probably play with some silly 'honor rules' and still smash your competition. You can likely run with just a primary rifle and control snipes and rockets and run all those matches by simply out-shooting everyone. Doing that in your new job will only make the next halo WORSE. You will dominate people with just a rifle, they will complain that that rifle is overpowered. You will dominate with sniper, people will think it's over-powered.

DO NOT TEST THIS GAME WITH "PURE" SKILL. DON'T. PLEASE.

This is how you need to test these games. Break them. If they let you spawn with a boltshot, destroy with it. If they let you spawn with camo, be the cheapest, most annoying asshole possible. Do not beat these people with MLG skills. Beat them with "super-tryhard matchmaking pro" skills. Beat them with every stupid, idiotic mechanic they make available. Be that guy that masters armor lock and makes them notice how bad it is.

stuff I wrote 4 years ago:

Developers, focus on the testers most successfully abusing the weapons or tactics. Experience is everything when trying to reach an amorphous goal. New players’ perspective is important, but you should not grant them the same amount of credence when trying to balance a set of weapons and mechanics. You should go to the most experienced and best players. They know how to exploit and their experiences are quite enlightening.

Example:
Taken from an interview at IGN, Bungie employee Brian Jarrard:

Internally we knew that Armor Lock was cranked up just a little bit too much but there wasn't time to dial it back down a notch before the beta launched. One of the biggest issues with Armor Lock was actually brought up internally by one of our engineering leads prior to the beta. He became an Armor Locking prodigy and was able to burst it for a second at a time at the exact moment an enemy would try to melee him. In some cases he could get off upwards of twelve mini usages of Armor Lock before being fully depleted and in each case his attacker would lose their shields and get pummeled in return. This wasn't the design intention for the ability and it's been tweaked a bit now so it uses more energy per burst and someone who hits a locked opponent will no longer have their shields removed.

Clearly, a “prodigy” showed them there was a balance issue with a specific piece of gameplay. This engineer was not a professional tester; he was a random player who took advantage of bad mechanics to win. His perspective was unique and it allowed Bungie designers to see something they had not previously taken into account. If everyone would focus on this perspective, their games could be much better.

Be THAT guy. Beat them with the things you think make the game worse. Jetpack. Sprint away incessantly to prevent people from ever killing you. Camo. Boltshot. Abuse radar. Camp. GET PERFECTIONS, as many as you can. Show them checkmate scenarios. Explain to them that even if they were as good as you, there are certain situations and mechanics you can take advantage of in game that would prevent them countering them effectively. Think good kids abusing camo snipe in ragnarok or Longbow. Think Banshee in Ascension Team Rifles. Think Gemeni Team Slayer. Think of hopeless situations and create them. Show them why the mechanics, maps or weapons are bad and how they can avoid checkmate situations. Do not primarily use your superior shot when testing. Do things that people who don't have such an amazing shot can do and why they shouldnt be able to.

If you go into this job and beat up on their QA noobs doing the same things you do in H4 matchmaking, the things you find fun (rifles, sniping and generally out-shooting everyone while being "fair"), you will ruin this opportunity for us all and cement Halo as a dead franchise competitively. Good testing is the one thing Halo has always lacked because they never knew what to focus on during the testing. They never had testers break the right things to make other testers complain about the things that really mattered.

For the love of all that is holy, do not waste this opportunity. Please.

- a ten year Halo fan and community member.

I could talk about this subject for days on end. Contact me if you want to. If not, no worries. Bravo has my info.

Booshka

Okay, I don't know if Neighbor is going to read this thread, but if he does. Hell, someone tweet this to him or something.

Neighbor.

You may have a chance to significantly impact the balance of the next Halo game.

During your testing matches, you will have a better shot than most everyone you will be playing against during QA. It is absolutely VITAL to the future of this franchise that you play like you cannot aim better than everyone.

Hear me out.

I realize that you can probably play with some silly 'honor rules' and still smash your competition. You can likely run with just a primary rifle and control snipes and rockets and run all those matches by simply out-shooting everyone. Doing that in your new job will only make the next halo WORSE. You will dominate people with just a rifle, they will complain that that rifle is overpowered. You will dominate with sniper, people will think it's over-powered.

DO NOT TEST THIS GAME WITH "PURE" SKILL. DON'T. PLEASE.

This is how you need to test these games. Break them. If they let you spawn with a boltshot, destroy with it. If they let you spawn with camo, be the cheapest, most annoying asshole possible. Do not beat these people with MLG skills. Beat them with "super-tryhard matchmaking pro" skills. Beat them with every stupid, idiotic mechanic they make available. Be that guy that masters armor lock and makes them notice how bad it is.

stuff I wrote 4 years ago:

Developers, focus on the testers most successfully abusing the weapons or tactics. Experience is everything when trying to reach an amorphous goal. New players’ perspective is important, but you should not grant them the same amount of credence when trying to balance a set of weapons and mechanics. You should go to the most experienced and best players. They know how to exploit and their experiences are quite enlightening.

Example:
Taken from an interview at IGN, Bungie employee Brian Jarrard:

Internally we knew that Armor Lock was cranked up just a little bit too much but there wasn't time to dial it back down a notch before the beta launched. One of the biggest issues with Armor Lock was actually brought up internally by one of our engineering leads prior to the beta. He became an Armor Locking prodigy and was able to burst it for a second at a time at the exact moment an enemy would try to melee him. In some cases he could get off upwards of twelve mini usages of Armor Lock before being fully depleted and in each case his attacker would lose their shields and get pummeled in return. This wasn't the design intention for the ability and it's been tweaked a bit now so it uses more energy per burst and someone who hits a locked opponent will no longer have their shields removed.

Clearly, a “prodigy” showed them there was a balance issue with a specific piece of gameplay. This engineer was not a professional tester; he was a random player who took advantage of bad mechanics to win. His perspective was unique and it allowed Bungie designers to see something they had not previously taken into account. If everyone would focus on this perspective, their games could be much better.

Be THAT guy. Beat them with the things you think make the game worse. Jetpack. Sprint away incessantly to prevent people from ever killing you. Camo. Boltshot. Abuse radar. Camp. GET PERFECTIONS, as many as you can. Show them checkmate scenarios. Explain to them that even if they were as good as you, there are certain situations and mechanics you can take advantage of in game that would prevent them countering them effectively. Think good kids abusing camo snipe in ragnarok or Longbow. Think Banshee in Ascension Team Rifles. Think Gemeni Team Slayer. Think of hopeless situations and create them. Show them why the mechanics, maps or weapons are bad and how they can avoid checkmate situations. Do not primarily use your superior shot when testing. Do things that people who don't have such an amazing shot can do and why they shouldnt be able to.

If you go into this job and beat up on their QA noobs doing the same things you do in H4 matchmaking, the things you find fun (rifles, sniping and generally out-shooting everyone while being "fair"), you will ruin this opportunity for us all and cement Halo as a dead franchise competitively. Good testing is the one thing Halo has always lacked because they never knew what to focus on during the testing. They never had testers break the right things to make other testers complain about the things that really mattered.

For the love of all that is holy, do not waste this opportunity. Please.

- a ten year Halo fan and community member.

I could talk about this subject for days on end. Contact me if you want to. If not, no worries. Bravo has my info.

Free quote for new page.

TL;DR: Break the broken game and maybe it will get fixed.

While it's great to want to help I'd just like to mention testers do more than just play multiplayer against each other. Often they have to devise test cases, execute them over and over, iterate, report, quantify, prioritise and chat to developers etc. Fixes for bugs or balance and the like are usually put forward by the testers anyhow, away from just playing multiplayer.

It's not just about how they play the game is my point. Pro-game testers have plenty of outlets in forms, statistics, vocal feedback, bug reporting, balance testing, fix recommendations, automated data/tracking etc.

MS test labs even go as far as facial recognition when a gamer likes what is on screen or not. They get the feedback in many ways.

Mabef

Banned
343 and CA deserve more respect than that. They're not oblivious casuals doing work aimlessly, needing a "real" player to show up and save the franchise. To quote Hank Hill, That's just asinine. By all means, Neighbor, do good work and provide valuable data. I'm sure your presence will help the team in many ways. But KraZeR, your depiction of the current testers' helplessness is hyperbolic.

When I worked as a tester (not at 343/CA/Bungie), we weren't even allowed to speak to devs. Only the testing leads were.

TheOddOne

There's such a great Josh story I'd love to be able to tell about a meeting a couple months ago involving someone from outside our studio coming to give a talk. Long story short, some conclusions were given based on Startcraft II's system. The person giving the talk didn't know that Josh created those systems. Hilarity ensued.
This is like the worst tease I've read all day.

TELL ME ABOUT JOSH's real reactions, Jellis.

Top Bottom