• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT19| 793 Posts, And None Worth Reading

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nebula

It was fun to use the brute shot, unlike the concussion rifle. I remember using the brute shot on rats nest and launching a hog, off the cliff for a triple kill.

Is the goose passenger aim assist that big with some of those sniper kills in that video?

Off topic but I just saw a commercial with Harrison Ford he looks really old now.

The aim assist on the back of a goose on Halo 3 is the same as if you were using it normally.

Mistel

Banned
The aim assist on the back of a goose on Halo 3 is the same as if you were using it normally.
Huh it looked a lot higher than the normal halo 3, suppose that's better than the revenant passenger assist.

Well, he is 71. That'll do it. :p
Laugh-It-Up-Fuzzball-han-solo-30041329-500-215.gif
:p
71 really I though he was younger than that.

Mistel

Banned
I had a dream that 1/2 the people on here got banned, sooo...

Seriously though, if it's anything like Frank is hyping it up to be, I need it in my veins 4 years ago.
Who got banned then? Half the time this place could implode with half the arguments we have lol.

But in all seriousness I hope 343 takes onboard the mistakes and improves on halo itself, not the weird offshoot into different style of FPS altogether like 4.

The reason for this optimism may stem from the fact that, I just got to the welcome to Jurassic park bit of the flim. But still optimism about halo is rare for me :/.

Silentium :

I've finished it. It's good. Far better than what is found in the core Halo 4 narrative, and even in the terminals.

In fact it differs to what happens in the latter half of Silentium in some arguably important ways, seemingly in the interest of brevity, to which it fails anyway.
I consider the narrative and terminals in 4 a failure, a significant one, one that I pray they've learned a lot from.
The whole positioning of the Didact in 4 is something I don't understand. How did they not see these problems coming, well in advance. Was there some greater plan to tell this (pretty complicated) story that just died unexpectedly? Or did they truly believe that only the hardcore fans needed that data, as that the Didact would work as a villain without all that context?

And hell, for the hardcore fans, Silentium contains vital information on ones picture of the Didact(s) and to have in any way a convincing character switch.

But anyway, I am glad to have finally bought and read Silentium, awful, awful cover/jacket art aside.

Questions I have :
1) How did a/the Composer end up on Installation 03? The Librarian A.I., in Halo 4, states that she hid it [not necessarily there, but probably]. Was this pre Composition on Halo by the Greater Arc?
It doesn't seem there was time for the Librarian to do this unless so. The fact it isn't explicitly mentioned to me suggests it's a fact that slipped through the cracks, but is probably salvageable.
2) Why did the Flood not infect the Librarian after telling her that the activation would destroy the domain? Yes, it knew it had already "lost", but the unending hunger aspect to me would suggest that they would not pass up the opportunity to feast upon her. It doesn't seem like it was a case of not wasting any resources to not reaction the lesser Ark, so a few infection forms would not have gone astray
3) Before Catalog pushed himself into the Gravemind's path, was the Gravemind intending to fully.. digest the Ur Didact? Was it after digesting Catalog that his plan changed? Or was he always intending to return a twisted Forerunner, but infection free?

I'm sure I have more, but another time perhaps.

P.S. I had forgotten about the Epilogue to Silentium, Halo : Rebirth (an inauspicious title, even coming off these Silentium good vibes), I shall listen to it now, I did not expect it to be an audio clip, and read by Greg Bear no less.
P.S.S. Would it have been so hard to give us this? Gad damn

Silentium :

I've finished it. It's good. Far better than what is found in the core Halo 4 narrative, and even in the terminals.

In fact it differs to what happens in the latter half of Silentium in some arguably important ways, seemingly in the interest of brevity, to which it fails anyway.
I consider the narrative and terminals in 4 a failure, a significant one, one that I pray they've learned a lot from.
The whole positioning of the Didact in 4 is something I don't understand. How did they not see these problems coming, well in advance. Was there some greater plan to tell this (pretty complicated) story that just died unexpectedly? Or did they truly believe that only the hardcore fans needed that data, as that the Didact would work as a villain without all that context?

And hell, for the hardcore fans, Silentium contains vital information on ones picture of the Didact(s) and to have in any way a convincing character switch.

But anyway, I am glad to have finally bought and read Silentium, awful, awful cover/jacket art aside.

Questions I have :
1) How did a/the Composer end up on Installation 03? The Librarian A.I., in Halo 4, states that she hid it [not necessarily there, but probably]. Was this pre Composition on Halo by the Greater Arc?
It doesn't seem there was time for the Librarian to do this unless so. The fact it isn't explicitly mentioned to me suggests it's a fact that slipped through the cracks, but is probably salvageable.
2) Why did the Flood not infect the Librarian after telling her that the activation would destroy the domain? Yes, it knew it had already "lost", but the unending hunger aspect to me would suggest that they would not pass up the opportunity to feast upon her. It doesn't seem like it was a case of not wasting any resources to not reaction the lesser Ark, so a few infection forms would not have gone astray
3) Before Catalog pushed himself into the Gravemind's path, was the Gravemind intending to fully.. digest the Ur Didact? Was it after digesting Catalog that his plan changed? Or was he always intending to return a twisted Forerunner, but infection free?

I'm sure I have more, but another time perhaps.

P.S. I had forgotten about the Epilogue to Silentium, Halo : Rebirth (an inauspicious title, even coming off these Silentium good vibes), I shall listen to it now, I did not expect it to be an audio clip, and read by Greg Bear no less.
P.S.S. Would it have been so hard to give us this? Gad damn

I haven't read it personally, but at 3),
I would assume the fact that the Gravemind assumes the knowledge and memories of the victims meant that Catalog's were... potent enough that he viewed the Ur-Didact"s assimilation superfluous.

I find it really amusing that in the Original trilogy and the graphic novels the flood were Evil space zombies and
while I do admire 343's expansion to them they had to include within the Forerunner Saga they're the Precursors.

I find it really amusing that in the Original trilogy and the graphic novels the flood were Evil space zombies and
while I do admire 343's expansion to them they had to include within the Forerunner Saga they're the Precursors.
Not that I completely disagree but quotes like "Child of my enemy, why have you come? I offer no forgiveness, a father's sins, passed to his son." from Halo 3 imply more than 'evil space zombie'.

Ghazi

FUBAR:
iPukLvg1aIfzG.gif

I know it's shitty, but it was so funny when it happened I started suffocating.

Context: The Banshee and it's driver had spent the entire game flying around and bodying everyone, only to do this as we chase it.

Not that I completely disagree but quotes like "Child of my enemy, why have you come? I offer no forgiveness, a father's sins, passed to his son." from Halo 3 imply more than 'evil space zombie'.

The funny thing is, back in the original trilogy that would have referred more to the Forerunners possibly being ancient humans more than anything. Making Gravemind and his associated buddies so cryptic probably paid off in the long run.

(this one is probably well-known by halogaf but eh what the hell if we're spoiling relationships)
I remember seeing a megapost on Ascendant Justice, I think? That went over the minimal descriptions of the Halo 3-era Precursors we had heard about so far, and a lot of their traits (big, meaty claws, a pointy bobby head barb thing, etc.) had worked their way into the physiology of other flood forms - the Pure Form Tank and the Infection Form had the two I had listed, for example. It's kind of funny that they were right so ahead of the game.

Mistel

Banned
FUBAR:
iPukLvg1aIfzG.gif

Context: The Banshee and it's driver had spent the entire game flying around and bodying everyone, only to do this as we chase it.

Well that's bad, It happens often on spire though where the banshee is crashed by the pilot as they try and splatter people. But that is hilarious though, Spire way a fun map to play on for most game type's arguably the best default map for BTB it had a nice use of vertical height and a decent on map sandbox.

Ghazi

Well that's bad, It happens often on spire though where the banshee is crashed by the pilot as they try and splatter people. But that is hilarious though, Spire way a fun map to play on for most game type's arguably the best default map for BTB it had a nice use of vertical height and a decent on map sandbox.

The guy was doing so good too, I don't understand why he risked that and fucked it up. But, oh man my reaction on stream was so funny I just started like snorting and choking from laughing.

If anyone wants, in 2 and a half hours I'm going to start streaming Reach again and you guys should play with me!

I spent so many games attempting to jump off of the spire, land on top of a Falcon, and skyjack it. I finally did it and saved the film of it :')

FUBAR:
iPukLvg1aIfzG.gif

lol That's hilarious. And what was funny about it was that he was doing it and we were spinning around in circles trying to get him but because he was so far away and kept doing that stupid acrobatic stuff flipping all over the place I couldn't hit him. Then we see him get two guys in a row and then boom straight into the rock, I only have to shoot him for like two seconds and then he's dead.

What an idiot.

Lol, in that game I jumped onto this guy on the other team who was coming up from the mancannon. I bounced off his head back to the Spire and he fell down to the bottom and died. Did the same thing with a guy on our team, too. :p

And Daedalos I saw that when you killed the guy on their team. I was running around and saw him jump into the lift and was tracking him with my DMR and saw you dong him.
noice.png

Noice.

HTupolev

I spent so many games attempting to jump off of the spire, land on top of a Falcon, and skyjack it. I finally did it and saved the film of it :')
I've done a fair number of off-Spire skyjacks of various sorts, though I pretty much always play jetpack on that map, which helps a lot.

I think my favourite was when I came up the central grav lift, killed the enemy FRG guy who was hiding on the roof, fell down and skyjacked a falcon without ever touching the ground, and then splattered the gunner by clipping him with the falcon's tail when he hopped out.

It felt pretty awesome.

//===========

There was one game I played where I off-Spire skyjacked the same guy three times, but in all cases I intercepted him right as he was entering the Falcon, so none of the jacks were all that special (though he probably felt super trolled).

Mistel

Banned
The guy was doing so good too, I don't understand why he risked that and fucked it up. But, oh man my reaction on stream was so funny I just started like snorting and choking from laughing.

If anyone wants, in 2 and a half hours I'm going to start streaming Reach again and you guys should play with me!
Yep inanimate objects are the bane of pilots :p, maybe they were to engrossed in killing people that they ignored the map surroundings. I'll play with you if I'm online, just send a message to deadly bl0ss0m.

Ironically I used to kill people with the falcon rotor's who were most likely attempting the same thing. I'd like to see that film anyway if you wouldn't mind?

<3 Covenant Dance
A favorite track of mine for sure. Something about it is just so fun to listen to.
So I just uploaded a new Halo-inspired original Orchestral piece to my youtube channel. You guys should check it out right here.

Then if you like it, download it for free here on my bandcamp page under the "extras" album. I just added all my extra tracks that didn't make it onto the other albums.

You are seriously talented. I wish I had your tools at my disposal, I could make some sick shit with that.

MusicHaloGAF unite.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Didact was terrible waste.

The fiction surrounding him became so convoluted, it was a joke. The original Didact fiction was a nice standalone piece that should have been left alone.

Anyone unfortunate enough not to be familiar the fiction was served an undercooked antagonist. Finally, here's a Forerunner, but he's evil, he's gone mad for some reason! He used to be good, but now he's bad! And he wants to turn all the remaining humans into robots to fight the Flood, even though you've defeated the Flood. He's just that gosh darn evil and bent for revenge.

And with the fiction? Here's twelve Halo rings, super-sized Haloes, two Arks, three Didacts, Ancient Forerunners, Ancient-er Fore-forerunners and let's being back Guilty Spark, who is now an ex-human.

belushy

Banned

I'm mean, hopefully it is just some playful jabs between friends or something lol

Just something I'm assuming with your actions since aPK's video/ those "leaked" "pictures" of a "new" "halo" game were posted in the thread. Sorry if that is the case. I enjoy aPK's videos and he seems like a nice dude so it sucks seeing him get bashed in the thread. :(

CyReN

I'm mean, hopefully it is just some playful jabs between friends or something lol

Just something I'm assuming with your actions since aPK's video/ those "leaked" "pictures" of a "new" "halo" game were posted in the thread. Sorry if that is the case. I enjoy aPK's videos and he seems like a nice dude so it sucks seeing him get bashed in the thread. :(

Well if it was only us doing it on here I could understand the confusion, everyone been posting about it. aPK makes good videos (Sanc fan for life) most of the time. I was surprised to see that kind of crap to be honest. Lesson learned for video creators I guess.

belushy

Banned
Well if it was only us doing it on here I could understand the confusion, everyone been posting about it. aPK makes good videos (Sanc fan for life) most of the time. I was surprised to see that kind of crap to be honest. Lesson learned for video creators I guess.

Okay that is relief then. I can understand that then. The video was definitely a weird turn for him to take. Hopefully he can pull himself out of that hole now.

So I just uploaded a new Halo-inspired original Orchestral piece to my youtube channel. You guys should check it out right here.

Then if you like it, download it for free here on my bandcamp page under the "extras" album. I just added all my extra tracks that didn't make it onto the other albums.

Great work. That screen you used for the video highlights how awesome Halo trailers are.

I lost my shit when I saw this trailer for the first time. Lostttttt my fuckin shittttttt.. even now just rewatching it!

The dialogue like around 1:17 (HA!): The entire fleet is engaged, Cortana. With respect, what the hell sort of reinforcement do you got?!
-music continues playing-
-shit's building up as the camera shows Earth at war outside the ship-
STOP DESTRUCTION OF HUMAN RACE
>IN PROGRESS
-MC opens gate-
Cortana: What if you miss?
Master Chief: I won't.
-door opens as MC dives out into space... INTO MOTHA FUCKIN SPACE!-
-screen goes black as music gets quiet-
-ENTER CHANTING MONKS-
/dead

Halo