• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT19| 793 Posts, And None Worth Reading

Status
Not open for further replies.
K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
psDqd.gif

True master of the claw :p.

Swat big team is it any improvement over reach version? Which literally was jetpack up high and dmr snooze fest.

The two games we played were all fixed loadouts of DMR/pistol vs. BR and no mods and no AA's. It was fun but I'm a headless chook in slayer/SWAT games. A couple of our regular team mates are just beast at slayer so I always feel like I have to run around and find enemies before they're all gone, LOL. Playing them on LAN this SAT is not going to be pretty and I've organised a couple of prizes and we all know who the winner of the major prizes is going to be...

Also was playing CTF or BTB CTF the other night as we go into 2mins overtime to lose at sudden death caps by about 30 feet or something on Ragnarok...oh the pain. Anyone want to watch a YT capture of that?

Yeah, you have to play a lot to get up there. Team CSR is very slow to change.

It's why I never really got into Throwdown for example.

I just play CTF when solo or small party and with low populations you never play ranks higher than yourself so you just never rank up, where ranking down is easy. A similar thing happens in BTB these days too, you rarely play any ranks 30 to 40 and up consistently. I'm not overly fussed but the ranking/pop. system is a bit shot these days to be honest.

I do really like the concept of team vs. individual rank and I think the background work with CSR and previous games experience is going to lead into HX1 as in game rank with ranked vs. social. That's my guess for now anyhow and with dedis I'm all for it.

Hey guys, Some of y'all know that I've been dabbling in stand up, all of which has been open mic, but tonight in about 2 hours i'm going to be performing for an actual comedy show in San Antonio at the River Center Mall Comedy Club that I was invited to do! I am going to be one of FOUR comics going up there tonight, that's 4 including the headliner! This is a huge step up and nothing short of an incredible feat for me! Please wish me luck!

Halo this year!

Good luck bro, I know you got this.

If you ever need to test some material, you know where to find me ;)

When you write your auto-biography, don't forget about silly old me. ;)

Big Team SWAT?

What has this game come too?

Guys, I get so mad when (limited 3rd person perspective) characters in books don't agree with my worldview. Especially how I feel about other characters!

I dunno... The way it's set up and the way almost everyone has interpreted it, it seems like Traviss doesn't want the reader to like Halsey. It doesn't come off just as the opinion of some characters. If it was supposed to, well, it failed.

daedalius

I dunno... The way it's set up and the way almost everyone has interpreted it, it seems like Traviss doesn't want the reader to like Halsey. It doesn't come off just as the opinion of some characters. If it was supposed to, well, it failed.

Well, there wasn't anyone in the books so far with a 'pro-halsey' outlook, even in her own mind during Ghost of Onyx she was riven with guilt over everything she did, but she certainly felt herself justified. The major players in the universe need someone to vilify over all the horrible details that came out, and she is dead after all, according to official records.

I personally felt that the hate for her came off as stigma's from the characters, since they all had something to tie the hate to. Why in the world would Traviss want the reader to like Halsey if the person she is writing hates Halsey?

Wow this is great. Would love to have something like that to hang up somewhere.

Nowise10

Zeddy found a new easter egg in Halo 3, if any of you are bored enough and want to go scour the sandy hills on The Ark, near the scarab battle, for trigger of the easter egg.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4xDzvpAMNVc Video of the easter egg after you find the Trigger. Says "343 343 2141 (or 2147?). Kind of weird. He says it can only be found/done on Legendary.

Only clues I picked up:
its at the end of Scarab battle, at the cliff.
It sort of sounds like someones in a Scorpian tank. Can't tell if its just the environment sound.
Its definitely once you blow up the scarab and finish the entire battle, as no sound of any gun is going off.

Nowise10

Is this finally the final Easter egg Bungie mentioned once as the community never having found?

One employee said in a Weekly Mailsack awhile ago, their was on on the loading screen for Halo 3, tied to a specific date for his wife to see. No ones noticed it yet, so its not big at all, just a small one.

I guess you could change the dates on the Xbox 360 to every single day, and then hop on Halo 3 and load a campaign mission up, record it loading, and then change the date and repeat, then playback through all the video clips until you find a difference. Not sure if its worth it.

Well, there wasn't anyone in the books so far with a 'pro-halsey' outlook, even in her own mind during Ghost of Onyx she was riven with guilt over everything she did, but she certainly felt herself justified. The major players in the universe need someone to vilify over all the horrible details that came out, and she is dead after all, according to official records.

I personally felt that the hate for her came off as stigma's from the characters, since they all had something to tie the hate to. Why in the world would Traviss want the reader to like Halsey if the person she is writing hates Halsey?

I'm not sure I understand you. I would think if Traviss wanted to leave some ambiguity about Halsey there would be a character defending her somewhere or at least playing a well-thought-out devil's advocate. Were the horrible details about the Spartans even known much beyond inner ONI?

Ramirez

Zeddy found a new easter egg in Halo 3, if any of you are bored enough and want to go scour the sandy hills on The Ark, near the scarab battle, for trigger of the easter egg.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4xDzvpAMNVc Video of the easter egg after you find the Trigger. Says "343 343 2141 (or 2147?). Kind of weird. He says it can only be found/done on Legendary.

Only clues I picked up:
It sort of sounds like someones in a Scorpian tank. Can't tell if its just the environment sound.
Its definitely once you blow up the scarab and finish the entire battle, as no sound of any gun is going off.

Those are ordnance pods dropping in to form the numbers, they were trying to warn us.

PNut

Banned
Math'n'stuff'. It's a team grind to get on that list.

Its more than that. Trying to play serious against good kids in halo 4 TS is horrible. There's like 500 people who actually take is serious anyway. Good teams just back out pregame lobby against other good teams over and over. Everyone does it. If you jip then quit it doesn't affect your csr.

One of the guys that's top 3 on the list jip on the other team last night. They were winning last 20 seconds so we back out because we jip. he does too because he jip. So sad.

Infinity Slayer still exists. Teams troll and pick infinity slayer Abandon and team jetpack the whole game. Sit top mid on Haven and team spam hologram. The worst is team camo on Adrift with all boltshots and crouch. Such absolute shit.

I reached my breaking point like a week ago with the game. Took awhile for me. Never going back.

Sit top mid on Haven and team spam hologram.

I'll admit I chuckled a bit at this one, lol.

I'm 38 so far with not too many games (maybe like 60 or so) and haven't ever backed out. I think we've lost maybe 5 total games or so. I have noticed that there's a similar issue to previous halo ranking systems where sometimes the rank will randomly go up after a loss or take a bunch of games to change at all and make sudden jumps up and down.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I reached my breaking point like a week ago with the game. Took awhile for me. Never going back.
It's inevitable. I played a match of Infinity CTF on Solace, and the enemy team hid in their base the entire time, enabled by promethean vision and camo. They eventually earned ordnance drops and got power weapons without even leaving their base.

343 why

why

Its more than that. Trying to play serious against good kids in halo 4 TS is horrible. There's like 500 people who actually take is serious anyway. Good teams just back out pregame lobby against other good teams over and over. Everyone does it. If you jip then quit it doesn't affect your csr.

One of the guys that's top 3 on the list jip on the other team last night. They were winning last 20 seconds so we back out because we jip. he does too because he jip. So sad.

Infinity Slayer still exists. Teams troll and pick infinity slayer Abandon and team jetpack the whole game. Sit top mid on Haven and team spam hologram. The worst is team camo on Adrift with all boltshots and crouch. Such absolute shit.

Yeah it was the same with 3's ranked but just replace JiP with quit. The backing out has always been there, xbox recent players always allowed this.

It's a shame we can't have rank without the few in the community shitting on the systems and meaning behind rank.

Cow

It's inevitable. I played a match of Infinity CTF on Solace, and the enemy team hid in their base the entire time, enabled by promethean vision and camo. They eventually earned ordnance drops and got power weapons without even leaving their base.

343 why

why
Halo is in such a sorry state :(

Please 343, I need a more classic Halo experience.

Omni

That "was Halsey justified?" thread has reminded me that god damnit I hate the entire post-Halo 3 story. Why the hell they've decided to focus on needless pseudo-politics and splinter groups instead of the Forerunner, Precursors and Humanity's place in the universe is completely beyond me. Let's not even talk about how regressive 343i were in bringing back the damn Covenant.
I know the faction is called "Storm", but ultimately they're trying to do the same damn thing and you're splitting hairs at that point.

I guess the best part of it all is that it can't get much worse.... right?

blamite

That "was Halsey justified?" thread has reminded me that god damnit I hate the entire post-Halo 3 story. Why the hell they've decided to focus on needless pseudo-politics and splinter groups instead of the Forerunner, Precursors and Humanity's place in the universe is completely beyond me. Let's not even talk about how regressive 343i were in bringing back the damn Covenant.
I know the faction is called "Storm", but ultimately they're trying to do the same damn thing and you're splitting hairs at that point.

What's really funny is I don't think they're even officially called the Storm? Like, I'm pretty sure that entire name is a fan extrapolation from prerelease action figure names or something? Unless that name was later made canon in some thing I missed.

So the faction you're fighting doesn't even really have a name, they're basically just "a bunch of aliens from the group formerly called the the Covenant."

Trey

You decided to read the wrong trilogy. Get on that Greg Bear shit. You can skip right to the last quarter of Primordium though.

PNut

Banned
Yeah it was the same with 3's ranked but just replace JiP with quit. The backing out has always been there, xbox recent players always allowed this.

Not even close to the shit show in Halo 4. Still to this day people play ranked legit in halo 3. Just check twitch.tv some time.

If they don't bring back social and ranked with visible ranks in Halo 5 it's over. Along with some resemblance of core Halo. Doesn't even have to be BigShow Halo. Just Halo 2/3 Halo. If not, it's over for the franchise MP wise.

it's over i know h5 will be bad

Omni

What's really funny is I don't think they're even officially called the Storm? Like, I'm pretty sure that entire name is a fan extrapolation from prerelease action figure names or something? Unless that name was later made canon in some thing I missed.

So the faction you're fighting doesn't even really have a name, they're basically just "a bunch of aliens from the group formerly called the the Covenant."
Haha. I actually can't remember... I think it may have been in the second Traviss book. Might have to give the series another read before the final one is released in a few weeks.

You decided to read the wrong trilogy. Get on that Greg Bear shit. You can skip right to the last quarter of Primordium though.
I've read all the books released to date, haha. Loved Bear's stuff. Was a bit shocked how Silentium closed up all the loose ends up regarding the Precursor and Forerunner, though.

Not even close to the shit show in Halo 4. Still to this day people play ranked legit in halo 3. Just check twitch.tv some time.

If they don't bring back social and ranked with visible ranks in Halo 5 it's over. Along with some resemblance of core Halo. Doesn't even have to be BigShow Halo. Just Halo 2/3 Halo. If not, it's over for the franchise MP wise.

it's over i know h5 will be bad

Rank wise sure fair comments against 4, it had no rank or classic at launch and no in game rank ever. However, let us not kid ourselves that 3's rank system and netcode didn't lead to quitting, cheating, booting, boosting, rank resets and all that getting to epidemic proportions; objective especially but slayer too.

There were literally players buying new xbox consoles to get host for ranked team boosting let alone the bridging and host booting. It was a shit show mid to late life at high levels.

Social even got host bridging and booting as well. I don't blame just Halo 4 for shitty cheaters of all walks. Fuck them not the developers is my point. These issue have existed in various incarnations.

daedalius

Rank wise sure fair comments against 4, it had no rank or classic at launch and no in game rank ever. However, let us not kid ourselves that 3's rank system and netcode didn't lead to quitting, cheating, booting, boosting, rank resets and all that getting to epidemic proportions; objective especially but slayer too.

There were literally players buying new xbox consoles to get host for ranked team boosting let alone the bridging and host booting. It was a shit show mid to late life at high levels.

Social even got host bridging and booting as well. I don't blame just Halo 4 for shitty cheaters of all walks. Fuck them not the developers is my point. These issue have existed in various incarnations.

Why is Halo such a shit show when games like SC2, LoL, and DoTa actually have competitive online matches where people don't quit all the time? Hell, after they cleaned up the win-trading problem, even WoW arena is pretty damn competitive at high levels.

Is it just the FPS 'scene'? Is Halo just full of dickbags?

Is there some core to this problem that's not just properly displayed ranks or something akin to that? Which fps has a really good online ranking system to compare to?

Although I have to agree, playing Infinity against teams that abuse certain AA's just makes me want to quit.

Why is Halo such a shit show when games like SC2, LoL, and DoTa actually have competitive online matches where people don't quit all the time? Hell, after they cleaned up the win-trading problem, even WoW arena is pretty damn competitive at high levels.

Is it just the FPS 'scene'? Is Halo just full of dickbags?

Is there some core to this problem that's not just properly displayed ranks or something akin to that? Which fps has a really good online ranking system to compare to?

Although I have to agree, playing Infinity against teams that abuse certain AA's just makes me want to quit.

This isn't a salty complaint but given recent Bungie podcasts it seems the Bungie couch/ViDoc mateship trash talking has morphed into tea bagging cut throat must cheat to win. Too me it seems Destiny has been built with a more coop style focus due to the nature of FPS/console community issues from their Halo experience.(

I think Halo has been around so long and was so competitive in multi that players take it too far. Did bridging host and pioneering XBL parties and matchmaking for console P2P help create this? Yes in part I think Halo had that element.

Does the demographics have younger matchmakers opposed to PC online? Does the bridging cheating give rise to increased hostility etc?

I'm terms of FPS I would not want to watch a euro COD tourney, some of the trash taking and attitude is just not professional or fun relating to gaming. I'm an Aussie we love the razzing of opponents but there is a fine line. Many other live tournies/games have had similar issues I think.

Even the chats in Twitch you mention get some crazy postings. It's weird because 2/3 had similar issues even in social.

Akai__

Only clues I picked up:

So, what do the numbers mean? 343 is obvious, but 2141 or 2147? Any specific event, that happend on that day? Maybe on the 343rd day? I know, I'm reading too much into this, but I love those things.

Yep, good call. It's pretty fascinating to see what radar does to those maps.
In the case of Countdown, the default weapons on map are just as, if not more, troublesome than radar. Shotgun, Sword, and Conc. Rifle all on the same corridor filled crapfest? GG Bungie.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom