• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT2| Hyper-Athletic Speed And Mass And Weight and Power

Really digging the armor designs for Halo 4. They look sleek, fast, flexible, which is hopefully fitting with the movement in the game. (It looks like it will)

Ryaaan14

Banned
Armor designs. They just aren't very good. I liked them in Halo 3 but not in Reach. Nothing looks smooth or agile like I think Spartan armor should look. Everything was bulky and all the attachments that were just pouches and grenades looked bad.

I see. I somewhat agree in that case.

I would love to be able to choose paint themes, armor texture, etc for MP in Halo 4. That said, my gut is on the grey Spartan IV being a campaign character. I may even go as far as to say that the female face seen in the making of trailer is one of the Spartan IV's, or Ill take a bigger shot in the dark, Lucy.

Another thing to consider, is that secondary colors on multiplayer models have changed dramatically through the development of Halo 2 and Halo 3 at least. I remember the Alpha shots in Halo 3 showing off secondary colors on red/blue armor that wasn't anywhere close to the shipped game, like stripes on the top of the Mark VI helmet. I was a HUGE fan of it, too. :_(

Just wondering, why do you think the Reach Spartans look terrible? Are you referring to the textures? Armor? Models?
They look fat. Straight up. Compare the models in 3 and then Reach, and they look goofy. I was also never a fan that there was no "default" shoulder pads, so no matter what you put on they looked oddly attached. Even worse when some had inconsistent texture quality with the rest of the body.

Woorloog

Banned
People keep saying this but I just don't see it. If anything this new stuff ends up looking more tank-like, VI was pretty thin, hell it looks like BMX gear. This new armour is a lot thicker looking, especially the chest.
Shape... feel. Hard to say. Halo Reach armor especially is rather tank-like. Mjolnir V-VI gave a feeling of human-tank. I don't know. To me Master Chief always felt like a walking tank, a lighting bruiser to use a TV Tropes trope, like tanks are.
Reach lacked that "lightning" part...

Note that Halo 3 Chief doesn't really look thin next to Halo 3 marines.

EDIT, actually now that i think of this, i have no idea where the tank-likeness comes from. Maybe it is the only thing i can compare a power armor in my mind?

Shape... feel. Hard to say. Halo Reach armor especially is rather tank-like. Mjolnir V-VI gave a feeling of human-tank. I don't know. To me Master Chief always felt like a walking tank, a lighting bruiser to use a TV Tropes trope, like tanks are.
Reach lacked that "lightning" part...

Note that Halo 3 Chief doesn't really look thin next to Halo 3 marines.
Oh I just meant in the comparison between the armour on 3 Chief and 4 Chief. The Mark VI is pretty form fitting and thin in comparison to any of the other armours in the series. I just don't see where the armour in 4 gives off the look of agility, it looks bulkier to Mark VI.

And speaking of the Reach and 3 Spartan look, I cooked this up a while ago just to look at them side by side.

Z57wv.jpg

No wonder Reach fell. You don't defend a planet with fat Spartans that have bad posture.

Oh I just meant in the comparison between the armour on 3 Chief and 4 Chief. The Mark VI is pretty form fitting and thin in comparison to any of the other armours in the series. I just don't see where the armour in 4 gives off the look of agility, it looks bulkier to Mark VI.

And speaking of the Reach and 3 Spartan look, I cooked this up a while ago just to look at them side by side.

Z57wv.jpg

No wonder Reach fell. You don't defend a planet with fat Spartans that have bad posture.

They're taller and slimmer than the Reach models. You need to remember that's what people just played.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Yea I think stock Noble 6's helmet looks like shit. I switched to the Halo 3 helmet right away lol.

Ryaaan14

Banned
Yea I think stock Noble 6's helmet looks like shit. I switched to the Halo 3 helmet right away lol.

Halo 3 Mk VI is a slightly more appealing turd than the Noble 6 helmet.

They should have just put MC in an EVA helmet after CE because the Mk models took a dive.

Woorloog

Banned

Yeah, it is bulkier but... hell, dunno, it just somehow looks more agile to my eyes. Gives off a feel of agility, deadliness somehow.
How do you explain how something feels? Odd how hard that is despite every human having feelings.

EDIT Noble Six's basic helmet (Mark V IIRC) is among the few helmets in Reach i actually like. Mark VI prototype manages to look pretty bad somehow. Most of them don't look right.

Played your map Frye. Is it literally possible to put any more Vehicles and weapons on a map lol?

I feel like I could get a quit ban today. What else is updated, let's try 5v5 TO *shudders*.

Yeah, it is bulkier but... hell, dunno, it just somehow looks more agile to my eyes. Gives off a feel of agility, deadliness somehow.
How do you explain how something feels? Odd how hard that is despite every human having feelings.

EDIT Noble Six's basic helmet (Mark V IIRC) is among the few helmets in Reach i actually like. Mark VI prototype manages to look pretty bad somehow. Most of them don't look right.
I think it's because despite his chest getting beefed up everything around his waist and crotch area shrank. Halo 4 Chief kinda reminds me of an Eva unit.

UXAxv.jpg

Speaking of Reach helmets, I kind of liked the Mark V because of that pseudo ODST helmet vibe. Though I love the Mark VI helmet, but it looks bad on Reach's models because of their aforementioned chunkiness. Don't get me started on the horror of Reach's Security helmet.

Woorloog

Banned
Don't get me started on the horror of Reach's Security helmet.

I always thought it was a bit silly (didn't really look like part of Mjolnir project) in Halo 3 though i did like it. In Reach? *Deep sigh*
Security shoulders would be fine if i could get rid of that fucking kukri.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Would be VERY interesting if you are actually able to select from some paint themes for your armor in MP. Wishful thinking, but awesome to think about.
I would love to be able to choose paint themes, armor texture, etc for MP in Halo 4. That said, my gut is on the grey Spartan IV being a campaign character. I may even go as far as to say that the female face seen in the making of trailer is one of the Spartan IV's, or Ill take a bigger shot in the dark, Lucy.
Those are things I've wanted since H3, honestly. Still even if we don't get that, I expect a much, much more fleshed out armory.

Fracas

#fuckonami
I always thought it was a bit silly (didn't really look like part of Mjolnir project) in Halo 3 though i did like it. In Reach? *Deep sigh*
Security shoulders would be fine if i could get rid of that fucking kukri.

Ugh this so much. I'm an effin spartan, I don't need a knife, especially since there's already one on their chests

Woorloog

Banned
Ugh this so much. I'm an effin spartan, I don't need a knife, especially since there's already one on their chests

Indeed. Though if the left shoulder would also have a kukri, then it'd be fine (i prefer symmetry). And if the Spartan actually used those in Assassinations...

Fracas

#fuckonami
Indeed. Though if the left shoulder would also have a kukri, then it'd be fine (i prefer symmetry). And if the Spartan actually used those in Assassinations...

Wait yeah, why aren't there different assassinations for the kukri? Or for the chest pieces that have the knife in a different location? Anything involving a kukri assassination could be sick.

TCKaos

Looks like the head of an Armored Core. Nifty.

I think that the Reach Spartans were just too fat. They look chunky to me in every kind of armor. Look at that bulky chest, huge legs, massive ass and wide waist. The Mark VI at least fits. The Mark V (Reach) looks like it's sagging off of the SIIIs. Hell, even the Chief wears his Mark V properly after consecutive days of war without sleep. Those SIIIs just have no respect for the armor, I'm tellin' ya.

I don't mind the tiny waist on the SIVs (worked out fine for the Mark IV in Halo Wars), but I really don't like that the chest/stomach/cod piece is a single continuous sheet of armor. It doesn't look right to me. Not sure why.

So I ran a couple of quick tests on bleedthrough being removed from TU settings, and it turns out that the health glitch was associated with bleedthrough because it's not longer present.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
See what happens when you get old.

Waking up early for the Halo 4 reveal and then taking a mid-day nap has thrown my whole perception of time off. Feels like days have passed since 6am PST Monday...

Homeboyd

Waking up early for the Halo 4 reveal and then taking a mid-day nap has thrown my whole perception of time off. Feels like days have passed since 6am PST Monday...
Seriously. No worries Ram, I've been thinking it's Wednesday all day. No idea why. I noticed someone earlier was asking where the Bulletin was.

Strange.

don't worry, it's felt like wednesday all day here too
Holy shit. WTF is happening...

Seriously. No worries Ram, I've been thinking it's Wednesday all day. No idea why. I noticed someone earlier was asking where the Bulletin was.

Strange.

I've been thinking it's Thursday all day, but that's way off, so I think that just makes me an idiot.

Ryaaan14

Banned
Only if the achievements aren't multiplayer based, or if they aren't as shitty as Halo 3's.

Maybe finding armor pieces hidden on levels like skulls?

That would be far too easy to unlock once there were just tuts on how to get everything.

Top Bottom